2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,820 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Gimbal Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Hi everybody!

First of all I want to say that I am new to both playing piano, and the midi/software side. I would also like to say that my english isn't that good....but I hope I can find the words to explain what my problem is.

I bought a Yamaha CSP-170 a couple of months ago, and I like it very much! For my untrained ears it sounds pretty good.

I stumbled over some Youtube videos of people playing piano with midi kontrollers and software instruments.....I especially liked NOIRE Piano from Native Instruments.

So I first ordered a Focusrite 2i4, a couple of Presonus E5 monitors, and all the cables I needed and hooked it up. I also have a pair of Audio Technica M50. I have this connected to my Macbook Pro.

Before buying any software I wanted to try out some free stuff.....so I have so far tested out the following;

Garage Band
NI Komplete
Pro Tools First
Addictive Keys
Pianoteq (free demo)

And they all sound pretty bad.....compared to the sound coming from my Yamaha, and especially Youtube videos I have watch, where people review all these different programs.

I have found sounds that sound amazing in some of these programs....but when it comes to piano sound, it's terrible. The best piano sound I have found is the one that comes with Pro Tools, and to my surprise....the worst one is Pianoteq!

Im not sure how to explain the sound.....but it sounds like a piano in a tight room.....with a electric, metallic sound on top......almost like a grand piano sound, and then on top of that is someone playing with a toy keyboard for 50 bucks! I also feel like it sounds a bit false, and that the pitch is slightly going up and down.

There must be something Im missing.....because I don't think it should sound like this. I was expecting and hoping that it might even sound better than the sound from my Yamaha.....but as for right now, I would probably rate the sound from the Yamaha as 8/10, and the sound Im getting from Pianoteq 3/10

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I've never heard Garage Band or NI Complete or Pro Tools.
But I can agree that Pianoteq sounds bad and Addictive Keys, too.
I don't use any of those.

But don't let that bad sampling ruin your perception of virtual piano software. There are many excellent ones.

I mostly use Galaxy Vintage D and The Grandeur ... and occasionally the Vienna Grand and The Giant.
These all run inside the Kontakt software. (The Kontakt Player software is free.)
All are better by far than my Yamaha ... and even more better with the new monitors I bought.

I suggest you try one of those ... or any of the many that are discussed here often. Perhaps ...
- Ravenscroft
- American D (if you like the Steinway sound)
- Noire (a brand new one ... see the recent posts here on the board)
- Garritan Steinway (if you like the Steinway sound)
- Garritan CFX (if you like the Yamaha sound)

G
Gimbal Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I thought that Pianoteq was one of the largest and best performing software for piano? And that one is the worst sounding one on my setup.....so I really feel that there must be something wrong with either the software, or the hardware. I would really want to get NOIRE.....but Im pretty sure it will sound awful as well......and not because of the software, but something else that Im missing. But I really don't know.....Im just guessing....

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gimbal
I thought that Pianoteq was one of the largest and best performing software for piano? And that one is the worst sounding one on my setup.....so I really feel that there must be something wrong with either the software, or the hardware.

On this forum, of those who like VSTs at all, you will find people divided into the "Modelled Piano Fans" group, and the "Sampled Piano Fans" group. The latter usually hates modeled pianos like Pianoteq. Can't speak about those in the former group, which I fall in, as I haven't heard any who likes Pianoteq say specifically that they don't like sampled pianos, and I myself have not yet tried a sampled VST at all. Also, this oversimplifies things as there are people who like some VSTs and don't like other VSTs and it seems to not have anything to do with whether they are modeled or sampled, but just personal preference. You may just fall into the latter group, yourself, and not be a fan of modeled sound.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
This post has been reported by thickfingers as militant hate speech and has been censored by the moderators. User CyberGene has been warned.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
if you want to compare with a sampled piano without purchasing it, you can go to try-sound.com and try Galaxy Vintage D, Ivory and VSL Vienna Imperial pianos. The latency is huge and then it is difficult to play, but you can hear yourself playing and know if the timbre of the pianos worth its costs.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 04/15/19 10:14 AM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
This post has been reported by thickfingers as militant hate speech and has been censored by the moderators. User CyberGene has been warned.

laugh laugh You just made my day! Good thing I wasn't drinking anything or else I might have snorted it! thumb

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
C
C

Please tell me this is (dark) humor.

Carlos

Last edited by Carlos-CR; 04/15/19 10:31 AM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
laugh

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
you could trying do this, run the sound through your Yamaha piano speakers and see how that sounds, instead of studio monitors. I know some people don't like studio monitors but rather internal speakers. Simply get a cable from headphone jack out from scarlet 2i4 into your piano line in and go to system settings and turn local control off on the yamaha piano

But be warned , not internal sounds might offer the best experience because they are calliberated so well. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Please tell me this is (dark) humor

No, it's quite serious. BB Player told me--in the strictest confidence, of course--that he and Frank have just about had enough of entirely groundless, Eastern European originated, rabid anti-Pianoteqism and are currently considering their options.

Last edited by thickfingers; 04/15/19 10:57 AM.
C
C
Hello Gimbal,

Try pianoteq using "bechstein player" preset with decent headphones and binaural mode. If it sounds bad to you then definitely pianoteq is not is not for you. Pianoteq strong point is its playability and if you are just starting with piano maybe you still can't appreciate this feature. Even if I like pianoteq IMO it's not the best sounding VST by a mile

Carlos

C
C
Originally Posted by thickfingers
Please tell me this is (dark) humor

No, it's quite serious. BB Player told me--in the strictest confidence, of course--that he and Frank have just about had enough of entirely groundless, Eastern European originated, rabid anti-Pianoteqism and are currently considering their options.

I had heard rumors that three strikes against the Holy Church of Pianoteq and you are out of the Internet, but didn't want to believe them ;-P

Going back to make three Hanon's with pianoteq to redeem myself.

Carlos

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
You can also try reconfiguring the position of your piano, your monitors and your room a bit to see if that helps. There are plenty of threads here with ideas.

@Gimbal: Another thing to consider: listen with headphones instead of speakers. There's much variability in the latter.
After trying that, do you notice a difference? Does your judgment change?

This is funny.
But I'm disappointed for not being called out.
Call me disgruntled.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
This is funny.
But I'm disappointed for not being called out.
Call me disgruntled.

Naturally you wouldn't have been. The OP neither mention buying things at MSRP, nor said they would be buying without trying, either of which would have been your cue! wink grin

[Linked Image]

Well ... it seems you know my style and motivations ...
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I'm disappointed for not being called out.
Call me disgruntled.
Naturally you wouldn't have been. The OP neither mention buying things at MSRP, nor said they would be buying without trying, either of which would have been your cue! wink grin

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Well ... it seems you know my style and motivations ...
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I'm disappointed for not being called out.
Call me disgruntled.

It was a joke (or light-hearted teasing/ribbing), MacMacMac! grin

[Linked Image]

Yes, I know.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission