2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
AAC127 Offline OP
OP Offline
When reading through the Liszt and the keyboard chapter from the Walker biographies I came across this:
...He [Liszt] set great store by the absolute independence of each finger. Every scale was practiced with the fingering of every other scale (using, say, C-major fingering for F-sharp major, and D-flat major fingering for C major)...

What do you think of this approach to practicing scales?

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
How often do you get to use standard scale fingering for a scale passage in a piece? In my experience, not that often. But I don't think I want to practice the scales that way...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AAC127
When reading through the Liszt and the keyboard chapter from the Walker biographies I came across this:
...He [Liszt] set great store by the absolute independence of each finger. Every scale was practiced with the fingering of every other scale (using, say, C-major fingering for F-sharp major, and D-flat major fingering for C major)...

What do you think of this approach to practicing scales?

This is probably one reason that Franz Liszt was the greatest pianist ever. Complete command of all his fingers.

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
And of course there is the incident where Liszt sliced a finger badly before a concert. He was told that he should cancel, since it would be impossible to play. He basically said he would use his other fingers instead, and gave another fantastic concert.

[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Basically a silly idea because there is so much more that's important to practice. But even if I had eight hours/day to practice that approach to scales would not be on my list given that amount of time.

I would think that by the time Liszt came up with this idea, he was already a very proficient player and could probably play scales while standing on his head without it affecting anything.

I've been working on scales in my lessons recently, and we've been looking at this and that. The point of fingering is to make a passages go as easily as possible, so there are considerations such as black keys, and short and long fingers. Having the least number of thumb turns is another thing we talked about recently, and also less awkward ones. One thing I worked with are modes. Would you play E Phyrgian the same as C major (Ionian) finger-wise. I.e. if in C major, E is played with 3 of both hands, would you still start on 3 for several octaves of E Phrygian. The answer, per the principles I'm learning, is no - you'd start on 5 & 1 respectively, same fingering as for C major starting at the Tonic, because you have less thumb turns.

C major could be played with any fingering since it's all one flat landscape with no black keys. In actual music, your scales will start at some place that may not be the Tonic, and end someplace ditto. You adjust accordingly (as Sam S said).

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by NobleHouse
And of course there is the incident where Liszt sliced a finger badly before a concert. He was told that he should cancel, since it would be impossible to play. He basically said he would use his other fingers instead, and gave another fantastic concert.

I'm sure it's a tale.

H
H
It is a true story, although not the bit about it being a brilliant concert. It was the only time that Busoni saw LIszt play and was rather disappointed ...

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Hatchestron
It is a true story, although not the bit about it being a brilliant concert. It was the only time that Busoni saw LIszt play and was rather disappointed ...

Considering that Busoni was only 10 years old at the time, I would take that comment as not significant.

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
And Liszt was 65 years old at the time. The critic Hanslick noted of this performance, that Liszt's playing "delighted his audience" and was characterized by "nobility and refinement". Taken from Alan Walker's Franz Liszt:The Final Years 1861-1886.

[Linked Image]
H
H
Busoni was no ordinary 10 year old, so that in itself is not an argument. I read this in a Busoni biography years ago, so I'll see if I can find if I still have the book and double check.

AAC127 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by NobleHouse

Thank you for sharing that lovely event!

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission