2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
72 registered members (AYS, 8ude, Beemer, 36251, aph123, BachToTheFuture, 19 invisible), 396 guests, and 444 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Sustained note and pedal #2838763 04/13/19 02:38 PM
F
FrankCox Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
[Linked Image]

Why are those dotted half notes in the bottom C? My only idea so far is that it's intended to demonstrate continuity with the what's in the treble clef, but I don't understand how or if it's supposed to affect the sound that is actually played. There's no way anyone could hold that down and reach two octaves plus to hit the top note shown in that run in the bass clef, and as far as I know you'll get the same effect when holding the pedal down (as called for) anyway.

So is there a point to that note other than someone's idea of making it look balanced on the page?

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Sustained note and pedal [Re: FrankCox] #2838775 04/13/19 03:02 PM
F
FrankCox Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
The answer to my question that I just replied to with this subsequent question seems to have vanished between my reading his answer and writing this subsequent question.

The answer I was given is that the lowest C note is a different voice due to the downward facing stems on the notes and that I can obtain that effect using the sostenuto pedal.

Hence my follow-up question:

What difference would there be between holding both the sostenuto pedal and the sustain pedal (as called for) throughout both measure, versus holding the sustain pedal alone throughout both measures?

Or are you saying that this particular sheet music is intended for a piano plus another instrument that would be playing the lowest bass line?

Last edited by FrankCox; 04/13/19 03:05 PM. Reason: The post I replied to has vanished.

Casio Celviano AP-650
Re: Sustained note and pedal [Re: FrankCox] #2838776 04/13/19 03:07 PM
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
It's a conventional way of notating what the composer wants. Consider the left hand composed of two "voices" one being the rising C, G, C, G, C, G; the other being the sustained C through two measures: imagine a double-bass holding the low C, while the cello plays the rising figure. All need to be sustained by the damper pedal in order to sustain that low C.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Sustained note and pedal [Re: FrankCox] #2838781 04/13/19 03:17 PM
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
You are correct that with the sustain pedal held down, the low C will be sustained whether or not a finger remains on it. Think of the two (tied) dotted half-notes as "book-keeping," i.e., there are two voices in the bass clef and both of those voices are accounted for by writing the bottom voice as a dotted half-note that is tied over to another dotted half-note in the next measure.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Re: Sustained note and pedal [Re: FrankCox] #2838818 04/13/19 04:46 PM
K
Keselo Offline
K
Take this with the grain of salt that my experience requires, but I'd play it differently than I would if there weren't any dotted half notes. Basically putting a bit more emphasis on the C to make sure you can clearly hear it throughout both measures. Not too loud that it overpowers the other notes, as lower notes are wont to do, but just a bit more than you'd usually give it.

I'm curious what more experienced players think about this and whether they would approach it similarly of differently.

I've started playing January 2017, Nothing is too easy is where I keep track of my progress.

[Linked Image]
Re: Sustained note and pedal [Re: Keselo] #2838828 04/13/19 05:11 PM
pianoloverus Online Content
Online Content
Originally Posted by Keselo
Take this with the grain of salt that my experience requires, but I'd play it differently than I would if there weren't any dotted half notes. Basically putting a bit more emphasis on the C to make sure you can clearly hear it throughout both measures. Not too loud that it overpowers the other notes, as lower notes are wont to do, but just a bit more than you'd usually give it.

I'm curious what more experienced players think about this and whether they would approach it similarly of differently.
There won't be any problem with the low C dying out too quickly even if it's not played with particular emphasis because low bass notes have a long sustain and the note is being held with the pedal.

OTOH just because the score indicates holding the note I don't think this means one has to hear it the whole time it's held. At least. I never thought of it that way.

Re: Sustained note and pedal [Re: Keselo] #2838830 04/13/19 05:14 PM
M
Moo :) Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Keselo

If you hold the pedal throughout then I would not intentionally play it louder. The exception when my teacher told me to do this only one and it was a very long for very 4 bar tie in this.

He also told me to play it louder and half pedal every bar. I cant remember why I was supposed to half pedal every bar as during the tie as this was the only time I've used a half pedal.

A very low not, for example, would be naturally sounding louder than the high ones so to bang out a bottom C because its a long time I feel would be more of an exception than a rule. I think it will depend on the phrasing and many other things and since we have no idea of the piece then I'm not sure you get a clear answer.

Re: Sustained note and pedal [Re: FrankCox] #2838832 04/13/19 05:17 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I think in the example he repeats the low D to keep the sound but my teacher told me not to and to play it as written. So I'm not sure. In general I would tend not to play a very low louder if I was holding it with the pedal but it really depends a lot on the music what I'd do. There are no simple rules. What piece is the section from Frank ?

Re: Sustained note and pedal [Re: FrankCox] #2838849 04/13/19 06:47 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
IPlease ignore half pedal comment. I think what my teacher said to do for the 4 bar d flat what to do was come up half way up the pedal and go down. I think this is a compromise and is not what half pedal is. In any case this was discussed before and the conclusion was don’t worry about the sustain pedal too much as it’s either up or down. The other option was pedal as written and repeat the note every 2 bars and perhaps that is simplier.

Re: Sustained note and pedal [Re: FrankCox] #2838850 04/13/19 06:50 PM
F
FrankCox Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
What piece is the section from Frank ?

It's the start of the Prelude from Romeo & Juliet (1968) by Nino Rota.

Casio Celviano AP-650
Re: Sustained note and pedal [Re: FrankCox] #2838865 04/13/19 07:26 PM
Sam S Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
This is one of those cases where you just have to understand the convention of the notation. Don't overthink it. There is nothing special required, just use the sustain pedal (as indicated).

Sam

Re: Sustained note and pedal [Re: Moo :)] #2838902 04/13/19 10:14 PM
AssociateX Offline

Originally Posted by Moo :)
IPlease ignore half pedal comment. I think what my teacher said to do for the 4 bar d flat what to do was come up half way up the pedal and go down. I think this is a compromise and is not what half pedal is. In any case this was discussed before and the conclusion was don’t worry about the sustain pedal too much as it’s either up or down. The other option was pedal as written and repeat the note every 2 bars and perhaps that is simplier.

Its called flutter pedal, someone in my group piano class is learning this Liszt piece and the teacher says you need to flutter the pedal for those measures, meaning push the pedal up and down quickly but not let your foot off the pedal completely.

~~~~~~~
My Practice/Progress YouTube Channel :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNj0Yha5exOWuJMTezV3t8Q
Re: Sustained note and pedal [Re: FrankCox] #2838918 04/14/19 12:41 AM
N
Nahum Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
N
Printed music shows 3 musical layers. It is not possible to use the pedal individually for each layer; however, it is possible (and necessary) to individualize by finger touch.

Moderated by  BB Player 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Self taught but not only
by BachToTheFuture - 02/20/20 09:06 AM
Questions about becoming a technician
by Mohrpiano - 02/20/20 07:51 AM
Is this a genuine Steinway & Sons?
by Man - 02/20/20 03:28 AM
piano search
by N Artur - 02/20/20 12:29 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,080
Posts2,927,933
Members96,049
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission