2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Just my opinion here but I think American piano buyers are a distinct interesting breed. As told to me by my piano tech, a private nonprofessional pianist bought a Yamaha CFX a few years ago. Buying the concert grand included a trip to the Yamaha facility to see his CFX finished and to get his input for the final factory prep for voicing and regulation. For me that would be a dream! The Yamaha folks were stunned that the concert grand was bought by an amateur pianist, not a touring professional. Why on earth would an amateur need a concert grand in his living room? My immediate answer is, why not? But then thinking to myself only, if I had the money for a concert grand like a CFX or a Bosie Imperial, wouldn’t it be better to donate it to my local orchestra or university performance theater than keep it in my living room for a rank amateur (emphasis on rank 😃) to play? Of course I would require daily access to the piano on a regular schedule.
Back to the statistics from iLaw. 6’5” inches is hardly a concert grand but I think it shows just how spoiled we are here with big houses and big pianos! Again just my opinion.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
A
Silver Supporter until Feb 1 2020
A
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia
Originally Posted by astrotoy
Is Boesendorfer the only Austrian piano company (that makes grands)?

Both Feurich and Brodmann are Austrian companies, and both make grand pianos. But I believe Feurich only makes one upright model in Austria, and their grand pianos are made in China, and Brodmann make pianos in China and Germany, but not in Austria.

So it looks like all of the Austrian pianos in the report are from Boesendorfer.

Boesendorfer 225 (1985)
Yamaha S400E (predecessor to CF4) Disklavier (1992)
S
S
J[b][/b]
Poland? UK?

This must include restored pianos, right?

The Wilhelm Schimmel grands are made in Kalisz, Poland.
The Phoenix grands are partly assembled and designed in England.

Last edited by Skjalg; 04/12/19 12:54 PM.

August Förster 190
Kawai CA 98
Kawai MP7SE
S
S
Originally Posted by astrotoy
Is Boesendorfer the only Austrian piano company (that makes grands)?

Both Feurich and Brodmann are Austrian companies, and both make grand pianos. But I believe Feurich only makes one upright model in Austria, and their grand pianos are made in China, and Brodmann make pianos in China and Germany, but not in Austria.

Feurich Vienna 123, which is an upright, is made in Austria.

August Förster 190
Kawai CA 98
Kawai MP7SE
What's coming out of Gabon and Luxembourg?

"When life gives you a lemonwood Gaveau [piano], make a place for it (or, what is the same thing, find a wealthy foreign collector/enthusiast to sell it to)." --adapted from and inspired by _The Piano Shop on the Left Bank_ by Thad Carhart
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by agraffe
What's coming out of Gabon and Luxembourg?

Don't they make thumb pianos in Gabon? A grand version would be cool.

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by redfish1901
Originally Posted by patH
Schulze Pollmann is Italian too.

Or Irmlers. Irmler is to Blüthner what Hoffmann is to Bechstein: A cheaper brand made in eastern central Europe. Irmlers are made in Poland AFAIK.

I think Schulze Pollman and Irmler are pretty rare in the states, at least where I am. During my shopping, I must have seen more than a hundred pianos, and zero Schulz Pollman and Irmler. Plenty of Checkerings, though smile

Irmler uprights are I think made in China.Are they then sent to Germany for a final check ?
Shultz and Polman Studio uprights are strung back in China then finished off in Italy.I think there is a Masterpiece series in grands
that are available on order.These are really made in Italy.
Shultz and Pollman Studio upright pianos are availability downtown
Vancouver.Irmler uprights are also available here.
Perhaps the grands are too?

Last edited by Lady Bird; 04/12/19 06:03 PM. Reason: Missing word
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by iLaw
Those of you who have known me for a while know that when I'm not playing piano I'm an attorney practicing customs law and international trade regulation. Today I had to update my account that gets me access to import trade data from the government, and I needed to make sure it was working, so as my donation to the forum (as I have done in the past) I will answer the question on everyone's mind:

How many pianos longer than 195.58 cm (6' 5") have been imported into the U.S. so far this year, and what countries did they come from? Here you go ...

Japan 15
Austria 11
China 10
Italy 9
Estonia 5
Germany 5
Poland 4
Indonesia 2

Sorting by value would, of course, shuffle these rankings. Only four months of data, so the results depend heavily on who shipped what when. I should have gone back and done a 2018 complete year, but that'll have to wait for another time. Gotta get back to work.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Larry.

Not sure if it's still correct - but last I heard, GROTRIAN Cast Iron Plates are made by OS Kelly Foundry in USA - does that partly mess with your figures?

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
W
W
Hong Kong 15
Spain 9
Gabon 6
France 4
Luxembourg 2
Mexico 1

What pianos could they be?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by willpianist
Hong Kong 15
Spain 9
Gabon 6
France 4
Luxembourg 2
Mexico 1

Hong Kong - I'd noticed against GROTRIAN's profile page in the PianoBuyer:
"Pianos made by[/b]: Grotrian Piano Company GmbH, Braunschweig, Germany; and Parsons Music, Hong Kong" - but I have no idea which pianos are made there.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
I
iLaw Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by backto_study_piano

Not sure if it's still correct - but last I heard, GROTRIAN Cast Iron Plates are made by OS Kelly Foundry in USA - does that partly mess with your figures?

No, a U.S.-origin plate alone wouldn't change the country of origin of the finished piano.

Now if all of the components came from Country A, but were then shipped to Country B for final assembly .... you'd have the kind of question that pays for my groceries!

Larry.

G
G
Originally Posted by backto_study_piano
Hong Kong 15
Spain 9
Gabon 6
France 4
Luxembourg 2
Mexico 1

Hong Kong - I'd noticed against GROTRIAN's profile page in the PianoBuyer:
"Pianos made by[/b]: Grotrian Piano Company GmbH, Braunschweig, Germany; and Parsons Music, Hong Kong" - but I have no idea which pianos are made there.

Wilhelm Grotrian is built by Parsons. So are Baldwin grands and Brodmann.

Justin Johnson
Portland Piano Company
www.portlandpianocompany.com
W
W
I see. I was pretty sure all Parsons pianos are made in China, so found it strange initiallyto see pianos coming from Hong Kong as there is not piano manufacturing in Hong Kong. It make senses now as the list goes by where the company is registered.

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Back_Study_Piano
Your Grotrian is obviously made in Germany.Wilhelm Grotrian do not
make grand pianos 7'4" or any size concert grand.They only make grands smaller than 7ft. See Piano Buyer

Last edited by Lady Bird; 04/13/19 08:48 PM. Reason: Missing word
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The 6 pianos from Gabon...that's certainly a head scratcher! Maybe it's the source of the ebony used for the black keys.

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
I
iLaw Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I
I see. I was pretty sure all Parsons pianos are made in China, so found it strange initiallyto see pianos coming from Hong Kong as there is not piano manufacturing in Hong Kong. It make senses now as the list goes by where the company is registered.

That's not actually true. The "nationality" of the manufacturer is irrelevant to the country of origin of the piano. If there are no grands actually being manufactured in Hong Kong (other people here know more about that than I do), then the 15 grands listed as coming from Hong Kong (rather than the actual place of manufacture) is intentionally or unintentionally incorrect (either is both possible and common).

Larry.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
That's not actually true. The "nationality" of the manufacturer is irrelevant to the country of origin of the piano. If there are no grands actually being manufactured in Hong Kong

That's an important point to understand. During last decade we had a huge immigration from Hong Kong to Vancouver, B.C. and a certain amount of these immigrants brought their [mostly German..] grand pianos along. No question that this would skew statistics.

Norbert

While stats can be interesting, even more interesting IMHO is "who" among famous pianists owns what at home. Over the years I have learned that what is always "assumed" is not always true. Alfred Brendel in Germany for example being one example. Plus which pianist saw fit to import a piano [usually from Europe] for him/herself whilst being surrounded by a large number of other popular options in same city or area. Here's another example, hoping the fantastic musical value of of this will be enjoyed by all.
Part of the video is made in Daniil Trifonov's apartment in New York. smile
https://www.dw.com/en/a-new-chopin-1/av-42230549

Last edited by Norbert; 04/14/19 03:12 PM.

P

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member
P
Norbert, Interesting news website, thanks! (DW.com). Anyhow, I couldn't easily say the kind of piano in the guys apartment, but I could see the S&S in the hall.

Last edited by phacke; 04/14/19 11:53 PM.

phacke

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Toccata (G minor) BWV 915
(and trying not to forget the other stuff I know)
A
A
Originally Posted by Norbert
While stats can be interesting, even more interesting IMHO is "who" among famous pianists owns what at home. Over the years I have learned that what is always "assumed" is not always true. Alfred Brendel in Germany for example being one example. Plus which pianist saw fit to import a piano [usually from Europe] for him/herself whilst being surrounded by a large number of other popular options in same city or area. Here's another example, hoping the fantastic musical value of of this will be enjoyed by all.
Part of the video is made in Daniil Trifonov's apartment in New York. smile
https://www.dw.com/en/a-new-chopin-1/av-42230549

Please don't leave us hanging. What piano does Alfred Brendel have in Germany? Does he have the same piano in London also where I thought he was living?.

I also watched the Trifonov video (not completely) but didn't see any statement about what piano he owned in his apartment in NYC. What is it? It looked like a Hamburg Steinway in his concert in Dortmund, and maybe a similar piano in his home in NYC?

Thanks.

Last edited by astrotoy; 04/15/19 12:55 AM.

Boesendorfer 225 (1985)
Yamaha S400E (predecessor to CF4) Disklavier (1992)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission