Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
81 registered members (Arty Movie, AlphaBravoCharlie, ando, CharlesXX, Antihero, Alex Hutor, Ankee, Andymania, 25 invisible), 1,219 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Yamaha MODX series have a good sequencer for songwriting? #2837823
04/10/19 08:20 PM
04/10/19 08:20 PM
C
ComposerRyan Offline OP
ComposerRyan  Offline OP
C

Hey everybody,

So I am still debating between the PSR series and the MODX series of keyboards. I know the PSR-s775 has a great built in sequencer, but I'm worried it may not have as good onboard sounds as the MODX series keyboards.

So I am leaning towards the MODX, but the question is...does it have a good onboard sequencer for recording my music? And is there a big difference with its recording capabilities when compared to the PSR series?

You all have helped me a lot get this far, so I definitely appreciate the help on deciding between these two types of keyboards.

(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Yamaha MODX series have a good sequencer for songwriting? [Re: ComposerRyan] #2837892
04/11/19 03:31 AM
04/11/19 03:31 AM
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Chris Offline
Cheshire Chris  Offline

Cheshire, UK
The MODX has simple MIDI recording capabilities but not, as far as I'm aware, any form of multitrack recording. It's primarily designed to be a stage performance synth, not an arranger workstation.

Chris

Yamaha P-515, Yamaha Reface CP.
Re: Yamaha MODX series have a good sequencer for songwriting? [Re: ComposerRyan] #2837913
04/11/19 05:24 AM
04/11/19 05:24 AM
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Chris Offline
Cheshire Chris  Offline

Cheshire, UK
Just checked. No, no sequencer or editor on either the Montage or MODX, just a simple single-track MIDI (or audio) recording capability. These are assuredly not arranger workstations!

Chris

Re: Yamaha MODX series have a good sequencer for songwriting? [Re: ComposerRyan] #2838021
04/11/19 11:46 AM
04/11/19 11:46 AM
Europe
M
mydp Offline
mydp  Offline
M

Europe
Hi!
Are you sure, Chris?
The Modx specifications page on Yamaha web site specifically says "16 sequence tracks". Now, that might mean something different to what you are talking about (i'm not an expert), but i'd find odd that Yamaha implemented a 16 track sequencer in the P515 or the CLP685 and it didn't in a synthesizer like the Montage or the Modx.

P-515
Re: Yamaha MODX series have a good sequencer for songwriting? [Re: ComposerRyan] #2838029
04/11/19 12:00 PM
04/11/19 12:00 PM
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Chris Offline
Cheshire Chris  Offline

Cheshire, UK
No disrespect, but you're just as capable of looking this stuff up as I am!

From the MODX FAQ page at Yamaha:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/modx/faq.html

Q: MODX has Fully-functional Sequencer?
A: No. MODX just has the simple sequencer "Performance Recorder". It does not have edit function.

That seems pretty clear to me.

Chris

Re: Yamaha MODX series have a good sequencer for songwriting? [Re: ComposerRyan] #2838041
04/11/19 12:38 PM
04/11/19 12:38 PM
A
anotherscott Offline
5000 Post Club Member
anotherscott  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
A

I believe the confusion is that the MODX does indeed let you overlay 16 tracks of recording, but it does not allow you to subsequently edit the tracks individually. It can record a multi-track performance, it's still a sequencer, but a limited one. It would need more editing functions to be a "fully functional" sequencer as many people would think of it. Instead, Yamaha provides free Cubasis software with the MODX, their idea being that full function sequencing would be done on the computer.

Re: Yamaha MODX series have a good sequencer for songwriting? [Re: ComposerRyan] #2838044
04/11/19 12:43 PM
04/11/19 12:43 PM
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Chris Offline
Cheshire Chris  Offline

Cheshire, UK
The appropriate section of the MODX user manual (pages 45-47) describes this and makes it clear that in no way is this a full-function sequencer.

Chris

Re: Yamaha MODX series have a good sequencer for songwriting? [Re: ComposerRyan] #2838055
04/11/19 01:11 PM
04/11/19 01:11 PM
Europe
M
mydp Offline
mydp  Offline
M

Europe
Okay, my fault then.
I simply didn't know there were those differences between a full and a non-full sequencer.

P-515
Re: Yamaha MODX series have a good sequencer for songwriting? [Re: ComposerRyan] #2838056
04/11/19 01:13 PM
04/11/19 01:13 PM
A
anotherscott Offline
5000 Post Club Member
anotherscott  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
A

Originally Posted by Cheshire Chris
The appropriate section of the MODX user manual (pages 45-47) describes this and makes it clear that in no way is this a full-function sequencer.

Yes, if you have a specific definition of "full function sequencer" in mind and know what you're looking for... otherwise maybe not so clear. After all, those exact pages call the Performance Recorder a "sequencer" and refer to the saved data as "sequences" multiple times, including specifically saying, "this instrument features a Performance Recorder (built-in multi Track sequencer) for recording your keyboard performance as MIDI data." You have to go a bit further and infer what *can't* be done to fully recognize the limitations, exactly what it is that's missing and requires connecting to a computer.

Re: Yamaha MODX series have a good sequencer for songwriting? [Re: ComposerRyan] #2838059
04/11/19 01:18 PM
04/11/19 01:18 PM
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Chris Offline
Cheshire Chris  Offline

Cheshire, UK
I'd personally consider that editing capabilities are a basic requirement for something to be called a sequencer. Without that it's merely a recorder.

Chris

Re: Yamaha MODX series have a good sequencer for songwriting? [Re: Cheshire Chris] #2838072
04/11/19 01:53 PM
04/11/19 01:53 PM
A
anotherscott Offline
5000 Post Club Member
anotherscott  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
A

Originally Posted by mydp
Okay, my fault then.
I simply didn't know there were those differences between a full and a non-full sequencer.

There are numerous kinds of sequencers. Whether something is a "full" sequencer has no official definition... I think your definition might just depend on whether it has the feature(s) you need. ;-) But there are phrase sequencers, and step sequencers... sequencers that incorporate audio recording vs. ones that are MIDI only... But calling a keyboard a "workstation" does imply that it has a multi-track *editable* sequencer, and the absence of that feature is presumably why Yamaha does not call the MODX or Montage a workstation.

I'd personally consider that editing capabilities are a basic requirement for something to be called a sequencer. Without that it's merely a recorder.

I guess why that's why Yamaha's official name for the feature is Performance Recorder, even though they define it as a type of sequencer. But it does have some enhancements over a simple recorder (i.e. punch in/out and overdub, though once you do the latter, you can effectively no longer do the former). Sometimes features don't fall into neat categories...

Re: Yamaha MODX series have a good sequencer for songwriting? [Re: ComposerRyan] #2838274
04/12/19 05:00 AM
04/12/19 05:00 AM
C
ComposerRyan Offline OP
ComposerRyan  Offline OP
C

Thx everyone for the replies on this. It sounds like I'll be going for the PSR-s775 from what I've learned from you.

Does anyone know if there is a big sound difference between the MODX and the PSR-S775?

If no sounds difference, I think I'm definitely leaning towards the PSR-S775 for that full sequencer. I'm really tired of messing with PC software to be honest so to be able to record a complete song right on the keyboard is a huge featuee for me.

Re: Yamaha MODX series have a good sequencer for songwriting? [Re: ComposerRyan] #2838275
04/12/19 05:06 AM
04/12/19 05:06 AM
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Chris Offline
Cheshire Chris  Offline

Cheshire, UK
In terms of conventional orchestral instruments, I'd say they're comparable. Where a synthesiser win out, of course, is in its ability to create new sounds - eg as used in modern dance music. If that type of "electronic" sound is not important to you, go for the PRS; it sounds as if it'll meet your requirements a lot better.

Do you have nowhere reasonably local that you could try the instruments for yourself? That would perhaps be the best thing to do, if it's feasible.

Chris

Re: Yamaha MODX series have a good sequencer for songwriting? [Re: ComposerRyan] #2838276
04/12/19 05:13 AM
04/12/19 05:13 AM
Bachus Offline
Bachus  Offline

Where the MODX comes in is the way that it integrates with an ipad or Daw..

I would say, get a windowstablet, attach it to the modx, install any DAW software (modx comes with Cubasis) and start creating... if dome right, the external software will feel as integrated part of the MOdx, much like a 2nd screen.

I dont think you want to rely fully on hardware for song composing. A combination of both hardware and software is the most convenient way to go..

And the software comes in all levels, from easy to expert level..

Where MODX rocks in combination with a DAW, is its arpeggio's that can be quite helpfull in recording of patterns .. nothing comes close to Yamaha's arps for realisme.

Re: Yamaha MODX series have a good sequencer for songwriting? [Re: anotherscott] #2838394
04/12/19 11:26 AM
04/12/19 11:26 AM
Europe
M
mydp Offline
mydp  Offline
M

Europe
Originally Posted by anotherscott

There are numerous kinds of sequencers. Whether something is a "full" sequencer has no official definition... I think your definition might just depend on whether it has the feature(s) you need. ;-) But there are phrase sequencers, and step sequencers... sequencers that incorporate audio recording vs. ones that are MIDI only... But calling a keyboard a "workstation" does imply that it has a multi-track *editable* sequencer, and the absence of that feature is presumably why Yamaha does not call the MODX or Montage a workstation.

Thank you. That's's an interesting piece of information. To me, a sequencer was something that allowed you to record a track while listening to the one(s) previously recorded. With that definition everything is a sequencer. I now know that things can be way more complex, and that other definitions leave out the one in the Modx (and the P515, by the way). The PSR 775 has more sophisticated capabilities, like the step recording, which seem quite useful...

P-515
Re: Yamaha MODX series have a good sequencer for songwriting? [Re: ComposerRyan] #2838400
04/12/19 11:35 AM
04/12/19 11:35 AM
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Chris Offline
Cheshire Chris  Offline

Cheshire, UK
The P-515's (which I have) manual never uses the word "sequencer". The recording capability is just called that: a recorder.

Chris

Re: Yamaha MODX series have a good sequencer for songwriting? [Re: Bachus] #2838597
04/13/19 03:32 AM
04/13/19 03:32 AM
C
ComposerRyan Offline OP
ComposerRyan  Offline OP
C

Originally Posted by Bachus
Where the MODX comes in is the way that it integrates with an ipad or Daw..

I would say, get a windowstablet, attach it to the modx, install any DAW software (modx comes with Cubasis) and start creating... if dome right, the external software will feel as integrated part of the MOdx, much like a 2nd screen.

Interesting, I will have to check this out and thx for the suggestion. Do you know if there is a limitation on how many MIDI tracks I can create using the DAW software and MODX combination?

Re: Yamaha MODX series have a good sequencer for songwriting? [Re: ComposerRyan] #2838600
04/13/19 03:46 AM
04/13/19 03:46 AM
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Chris Offline
Cheshire Chris  Offline

Cheshire, UK
Ryan, given that you specifically said that you wanted an arranger workstation and didn't want to mess with PCs, etc, would it not be sensible to concentrate on self-contained arranger workstations rather than looking at stage synths? They really are a completely different type of instrument!

Chris

Re: Yamaha MODX series have a good sequencer for songwriting? [Re: ComposerRyan] #2838602
04/13/19 03:53 AM
04/13/19 03:53 AM
C
ComposerRyan Offline OP
ComposerRyan  Offline OP
C

Ryan, given that you specifically said that you wanted an arranger workstation and didn't want to mess with PCs, etc, would it not be sensible to concentrate on self-contained arranger workstations rather than looking at stage synths? They really are a completely different type of instrument!

Yup, very true. I really do hate messing with the PC and software to be honest. The only thing holding me back now are the string sounds on the PSR-s775. Is there anyway to import high quality string sounds into the PSR? I created another thread on this on the forums but figured I would ask here too.

I was wondering if there was a way to import high quality string samples like these into the PSR-s775:
https://www.loopmasters.com/genres/64-Strings/products/8798-Real-Strings-10-Year-Anniversary-Bundle

I used to also record with EastWest Hollywood strings on my PC, which were super high quality strings so if I can get these types of strings onto the PSR that would be awesome. Anyway to do this?

Thanks for the help once again.

Re: Yamaha MODX series have a good sequencer for songwriting? [Re: ComposerRyan] #2838648
04/13/19 08:41 AM
04/13/19 08:41 AM
A
anotherscott Offline
5000 Post Club Member
anotherscott  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
A

Those VSTs use gigabytes of samples, most keyboards can't handle such large sample sets.

If the PSR-775 lets you load user custom samples, there are programs that allow you to sample your VST sounds to create versions you can load in to keyboards that permit custom user samples, the results can be quite usable, if you don't need too much. Look at Sample Robot, Mainstage Auto Sampler, Extreme Sample Converter, Samplit.

If PSR-775 doesn't permit custom samples, you could check out Korg arrangers (PA700, PA1000), I think they do. If you don't need arranger features per se, but just a multitrack editable sequencer, there are other keyboards you can look into. If you like Yamaha sounds, you could look to pick up a used MOXF (predecessor to MODX) with its optional flash card. Unlike the MODX, the MOXF had a full traditional multitrack editable sequencer, and there are also additional downloadable string libraries available for it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Roland FP 30 or Yamaha P125 for Beginner
by FAbdul. 10/20/19 03:49 AM
Key off Simulator Casio AP-650
by FrankCox. 10/20/19 02:37 AM
Master's Audition-- Beethoven Op 79, 'Cuckoo'?
by winterflower. 10/19/19 11:29 PM
Baldwin: The End of an Era!
by Retsacnal. 10/19/19 09:46 PM
CAREFUL when performing in China!!
by Norbert. 10/19/19 08:37 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,621
Posts2,881,141
Members94,716
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission