Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
61 registered members (AndrewJCW, AWilley, Bett, amyram, Animisha, astrotoy, 16 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Piano beginner sight reading question [Re: LarryK] #2835961
04/06/19 04:06 AM
04/06/19 04:06 AM
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Chris Offline
Cheshire Chris  Offline

Cheshire, UK
Originally Posted by LarryK
Travel can mess up consistent practice which is why I have a cheap guitar stashed in the places where I usually end up, at my mom’s, my in-laws, and I have a travel guitar. I’m new to studying piano so I don’t have a backup plan for that yet when I travel. I suppose a little Yamaha Reface CP would do the trick.

The 61-key version of the Roland "GO:PIANO" is a nice travel piano for practising while away on trips. It's lightweight and small enough to easily carry around in a carrying bag.

Last edited by Cheshire Chris; 04/06/19 04:06 AM.

Chris

Yamaha P-515, Yamaha Reface CP.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Piano beginner sight reading question [Re: Cheshire Chris] #2835966
04/06/19 05:09 AM
04/06/19 05:09 AM
New York City
L
LarryK Offline
1000 Post Club Member
LarryK  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
L

New York City
Originally Posted by Cheshire Chris
Travel can mess up consistent practice which is why I have a cheap guitar stashed in the places where I usually end up, at my mom’s, my in-laws, and I have a travel guitar. I’m new to studying piano so I don’t have a backup plan for that yet when I travel. I suppose a little Yamaha Reface CP would do the trick.

The 61-key version of the Roland "GO:PIANO" is a nice travel piano for practising while away on trips. It's lightweight and small enough to easily carry around in a carrying bag.

Originally Posted by Cheshire Chris

That’s not a bad idea but I’m afraid it is still too big to be accepted by my wife for traveling on planes. We almost lost my Soloette travel guitar when she left it on a TGV in France. She had one job, which was to carry the lightweight Soloette, while I had all of the suitcases. She made a mad dash up a set of stairs and a managed to get back on the train to retrieve the travel guitar.

I got the idea for the Yamaha Reface CP from the excellent videos created by Nahre Sol:

https://youtu.be/gMIxMxDMOXM

She travels around with her Reface and does all kinds of cool things with it, including composing.

Last edited by LarryK; 04/06/19 05:10 AM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Piano beginner sight reading question [Re: LarryK] #2835969
04/06/19 05:27 AM
04/06/19 05:27 AM
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Chris Offline
Cheshire Chris  Offline

Cheshire, UK
That’s not a bad idea but I’m afraid it is still too big to be accepted by my wife for traveling on planes. We almost lost my Soloette travel guitar when she left it on a TGV in France. She had one job, which was to carry the lightweight Soloette, while I had all of the suitcases. She made a mad dash up a set of stairs and a managed to get back on the train to retrieve the travel guitar.

I got the idea for the Yamaha Reface CP from the excellent videos created by Nahre Sol:

https://youtu.be/gMIxMxDMOXM

She travels around with her Reface and does all kinds of cool things with it, including composing.

Yes, I was thinking more of cars than planes. I'm about to buy a GO:PIANO myself for when I'm away on business trips, but that's always driving rather than flying. It weighs only 4kg, and 61 keys is enough to play "real" piano music on. The Yamaha Reface CP does seems perfect if you need something that'll fit in a suitcase.

Chris

Re: Piano beginner sight reading question [Re: Elian] #2837769
04/10/19 05:00 PM
04/10/19 05:00 PM
UK
J
Jt2nd Offline
Jt2nd  Offline
J

UK
I may have an unusual way of tackling reading (not sight reading ) piano music . I open the page without any knowledge of the piece , say a Bach Well Tempered piece,. I look at the key signature and physically check the black notes indicated. There are no key signatures that mix flats and sharps in the key signature ( for those who may not realise that ). So mentally I prepare to play flat notes to the left of the C major notes and for sharp keys I prepare to play sharp notes to the right of the C major notes .
Remembering that there are only 5 black notes in an octave , how hard can that be ? That`s the attitude .
When the music starts ,the first note may not be the first note of that scale . But if the notes are rising (going right ) it`s not a mortal sin to begin with the thumb on the first note .
If there are no continuous scale passages in that music then the fingers have to be used in patterns that suit the musical phrases and that are physically possible .Often the fingering is written on the page which helps a great deal .
I find Chopin great fun when he throws in plenty of double sharps and uses white notes as temporary black notes (so to speak ).
Learning the numbering of fingers is important for a series of double chords and learning finger independance and combination . This is where the printed numbers are valuable .
Teachers have always emphasised scale practice for children partly because their hands need to develop physically . The hands are so closely related to our brains that this scale practice is like laying foundations under a building .
So I can ask now , what do teachers advise for all the situations where the hands are used in completely different positions than scale practice dictates . Do you keep searching for a chance to get the thumb under or over ?
I`m 76 and began violin at ten years of age. After 60 I began classical guitar . I helped my daughter to master Honky Tonk Train Blues ( Meade Lux Lewis ) just in a musical sense without being able to play piano at all .I helped with the contrasting rhythms by talking , not playing . She was good !
I also remember buying a book of Beethoven`s violin sonatas and sight reading through most of them when I got home . Very similar to a book of Irish traditional tunes with the little bow tricks that sound just right . Bowing , to me , was never a problem . It just took care of itself .
So that`s my combination .

Re: Piano beginner sight reading question [Re: Elian] #2837775
04/10/19 05:26 PM
04/10/19 05:26 PM
UK
J
Jt2nd Offline
Jt2nd  Offline
J

UK
Well here we are , back again after two minutes . I have just seen advice from a piano teacher site telling us not to use thumbs on the black notes . So how do you play octave pairs of notes on the black keys ? How can advice like that help a newcomer ?

Re: Piano beginner sight reading question [Re: Elian] #2837777
04/10/19 05:27 PM
04/10/19 05:27 PM
UK
J
Jt2nd Offline
Jt2nd  Offline
J

UK
Well here we are , back again after two minutes . I have just seen advice from a piano teacher site telling us not to use thumbs on the black notes . So how do you play octave pairs of notes on the black keys ? How can advice like that help a newcomer ?

Re: Piano beginner sight reading question [Re: Jt2nd] #2837838
04/10/19 08:49 PM
04/10/19 08:49 PM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

Reseda, California
Originally Posted by Jt2nd

Like so much to do with music, that advice applies mostly, but there are exceptions. Thing number one to tell any beginner on any instrument is that almost everything you'll ever learn about music applies mostly, but there are exceptions.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: Piano beginner sight reading question [Re: Elian] #2837853
04/10/19 10:27 PM
04/10/19 10:27 PM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
Not to use thumbs on black keys is a rule of the old days (classical era and before). Just like playing with coins on your hands smile There's plenty of music where this is not even possible. Usually the hand is in better position if you can play the white note with the thumb and the black notes with the long fingers. Scale fingering are also created so that the thumb can be kept on white notes for this reason. But it is no fixed rule.

Re: Piano beginner sight reading question [Re: Elian] #2837995
04/11/19 10:40 AM
04/11/19 10:40 AM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

Reseda, California

Thumbs are short and black keys are short. So, most of the time getting the one onto the other requires curling the rest of the fingers, and isn't a good fingering choice. Sometimes, however, like octaves, ninths, and tenths, thumb on black can be the best -- or only practical -- choice. Always try a variety of fingerings and see what works best for you.

-- J.S.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: Piano beginner sight reading question [Re: Elian] #2838101
04/11/19 03:30 PM
04/11/19 03:30 PM
UK
J
Jt2nd Offline
Jt2nd  Offline
J

UK
Yes quite right . I over reacted to the thumbs advice .It`s on Pianoscales . They don`t spell out the no thumbs rigidly as I first read it .
The penny just dropped for me though . If you work out the scale fingering patterns , the easiest (physically) way would be clear right away . So for any beginners there are sites that show the finger sequences for all the scales . We just need to keep looking them up and using them and remember they are there to help .

Re: Piano beginner sight reading question [Re: Elian] #2838141
04/11/19 05:30 PM
04/11/19 05:30 PM
Ireland
E
Elian Offline OP
Elian  Offline OP
E

Ireland
OK, so something I should have mentioned from the start is that it is not my goal to become a virtuoso concert piano player. That ship has sailed long time ago. I just want to be a decent one, be able to play modern tunes, perhaps delve into composing my own tracks later on. Also, I'm not interested in playing classical music because, honestly, no one cares for that in this day and age (sorry if I just offended some people, but it's the truth). laugh

About the teacher thing... If I've learned something about myself is I learn faster when I do it on my own. All the creative skills I have up to this point in life are self-taught. Now I might just look into getting a piano teacher simply because I see a lot of you stressing that out and I also happen to live next to a music school. Thing is I completely resent the academic environment and don't want to run into a teacher that's heck bent on old-school techniques and classical stuff. Also, I'm the type of student that needs to always understand the WHY behind everything, I cannot learn something just because someone tells me to, so I'd probably annoy the crap out of that teacher. Anyway, I dunno, we'll see. Maybe I'll look into it. smile

For now, I'm sticking to practicing the scales and reading sheet music as best as I can. I found that visualising the key a piece is in (like literally looking at the keyboard and mind-mapping the notes of the scale) makes it really easy to read it. I think someone mentioned here it's useful learning and practicing scales in the order they go on the wheel of fifths and that's exactly what I was planning to do.

Re: Piano beginner sight reading question [Re: Elian] #2838158
04/11/19 06:31 PM
04/11/19 06:31 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted by Elian
OK, so something I should have mentioned from the start is that it is not my goal to become a virtuoso concert piano player. That ship has sailed long time ago. I just want to be a decent one, be able to play modern tunes, perhaps delve into composing my own tracks later on. Also, I'm not interested in playing classical music because, honestly, no one cares for that in this day and age (sorry if I just offended some people, but it's the truth). laugh

To say that "no one cares" dismisses the opinions of many people in the world who actually do care. Why not just say *you* don't care and leave it at that?

About the teacher thing... If I've learned something about myself is I learn faster when I do it on my own. All the creative skills I have up to this point in life are self-taught. Now I might just look into getting a piano teacher simply because I see a lot of you stressing that out and I also happen to live next to a music school. Thing is I completely resent the academic environment and don't want to run into a teacher that's heck bent on old-school techniques and classical stuff. Also, I'm the type of student that needs to always understand the WHY behind everything, I cannot learn something just because someone tells me to, so I'd probably annoy the crap out of that teacher. Anyway, I dunno, we'll see. Maybe I'll look into it. smile

For now, I'm sticking to practicing the scales and reading sheet music as best as I can. I found that visualising the key a piece is in (like literally looking at the keyboard and mind-mapping the notes of the scale) makes it really easy to read it. I think someone mentioned here it's useful learning and practicing scales in the order they go on the wheel of fifths and that's exactly what I was planning to do.

Best of luck on your journey smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Piano beginner sight reading question [Re: Elian] #2838169
04/11/19 07:24 PM
04/11/19 07:24 PM
Canada
keystring Offline
keystring  Offline

Canada
I haven't had a chance to read the thread as a whole yet. A small observation.
.... I cannot learn something just because someone tells me to, so I'd probably annoy the crap out of that teacher. Anyway, I dunno, we'll see. .....

Beginning of thread:
.... so I would greatly appreciate if someone could give me some tips and pointers on how to correct this.

That is sort of what one gets when studying with a decent teacher. wink The adjective is important though.

(will catch up to thread and question later)

Re: Piano beginner sight reading question [Re: Elian] #2838193
04/11/19 08:42 PM
04/11/19 08:42 PM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

Reseda, California
. Also, I'm not interested in playing classical music because, honestly, no one cares for that in this day and age .

This not caring comes from not hearing. The problem is that Chopin doesn't have a publicist. Nobody's out there pushing the music. A great many would love Chopin if they ever heard his music. But they don't.

And as time goes by it only gets worse. There are people now who've never heard of Cole Porter, let alone Chopin. More and more recent composers fall into the forgotten category.

-- J.S.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: Piano beginner sight reading question [Re: Elian] #2838256
04/12/19 02:45 AM
04/12/19 02:45 AM
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Chris Offline
Cheshire Chris  Offline

Cheshire, UK
Also, I'm not interested in playing classical music because, honestly, no one cares for that in this day and age (sorry if I just offended some people, but it's the truth). laugh

No, it's a demonstrably false statement. Many people enjoy classical music. If you don't personally like it then fine, that's your choice, but please don't project your personal likes and dislikes as universal truths!

About the teacher thing... If I've learned something about myself is I learn faster when I do it on my own.

Learning to play the piano shouldn't be a race. Do you want to learn quickly or do you want to learn properly? There's not a lesson goes by in which my teacher doesn't correct errors in my playing technique. How are you going to know what's wrong with your technique unless you have a teacher to tell you?

Chris

Re: Piano beginner sight reading question [Re: Elian] #2838268
04/12/19 03:47 AM
04/12/19 03:47 AM
Cali
Terry Michael Offline
Terry Michael  Offline

Cali
Also, I'm not interested in playing classical music because, honestly, no one cares for that in this day and age (sorry if I just offended some people, but it's the truth).

Ok. THAT takes the cake for the silliest/funniest thing I’ve read on this forum yet.

TH
[Linked Image]
Re: Piano beginner sight reading question [Re: Terry Michael] #2838299
04/12/19 07:07 AM
04/12/19 07:07 AM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by Terry Michael
Also, I'm not interested in playing classical music because, honestly, no one cares for that in this day and age (sorry if I just offended some people, but it's the truth).

Ok. THAT takes the cake for the silliest/funniest thing I’ve read on this forum yet.

+1 thumb

[Linked Image]
Re: Piano beginner sight reading question [Re: Terry Michael] #2838305
04/12/19 07:21 AM
04/12/19 07:21 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

7000 Post Club Member

And yet, it is a common refrain among young people.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Piano beginner sight reading question [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2838339
04/12/19 08:42 AM
04/12/19 08:42 AM
Chiltern Hills, England.
G
gwing Offline
gwing  Offline
G

Chiltern Hills, England.
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Don't worry about it. Even young people become old people eventually :-)

Re: Piano beginner sight reading question [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2838342
04/12/19 08:49 AM
04/12/19 08:49 AM
Canada
keystring Offline
keystring  Offline

Canada
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

That supposed common refrain was quickly debunked in that thread.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Another Scales Question - Jazz Scales
by oneilt130. 10/21/19 10:41 PM
Yamaha P125 Audio Recording ???
by Pianoworldstage. 10/21/19 09:31 PM
New Casio hybrid piano
by MacMacMac. 10/21/19 05:05 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,657
Posts2,881,875
Members94,725
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission