Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
113 registered members (aphexdisklavier, Akaitsuki, AlphaBravoCharlie, Amanda_S, Arty Movie, Brahms4, 27 invisible), 1,418 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Why there are so many loud uprights? #2837937
04/11/19 07:19 AM
04/11/19 07:19 AM
Valencia, Spain
M
mabraman Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
mabraman  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
M

Valencia, Spain
There's an old thread in wich people discussed why modern uprights are so (too?) loud. Del Fandrich said it was due to companys adding mass to the hammers and other design choices.
I'm interested in this because my k200, a small entry upright just 114cm tall, is too loud for my room, and many people with pianos from other brands and heights complain about the same.
It's clear to me that a modern flat, with paralel surfaces and low ceilings is far from being ideal as a music room, but given it's how most of apartments are built...Why there's no manufacturer that design 'low voice' pianos as an alternative line of production?
I mean, affordable uprights for home use that sound well and are controlable without constant use of the left pedal.
I tend to think they would sell well, but perhaps I'm wrong.
What do you think?

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Why there are so many loud uprights? [Re: mabraman] #2837947
04/11/19 08:01 AM
04/11/19 08:01 AM
New York City
L
LarryK Offline
500 Post Club Member
LarryK  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

New York City
Originally Posted by mabraman
There's an old thread in wich people discussed why modern uprights are so (too?) loud. Del Fandrich said it was due to companys adding mass to the hammers and other design choices.
I'm interested in this because my k200, a small entry upright just 114cm tall, is too loud for my room, and many people with pianos from other brands and heights complain about the same.
It's clear to me that a modern flat, with paralel surfaces and low ceilings is far from being ideal as a music room, but given it's how most of apartments are built...Why there's no manufacturer that design 'low voice' pianos as an alternative line of production?
I mean, affordable uprights for home use that sound well and are controlable without constant use of the left pedal.
What do you think?

How large is your room? How tall are the ceilings? If I buy an upright, I should put some thought into not overpowering my relatively small living room. The real estate agent who showed me my place said there was a grand piano in it at some point in the past. I think that would be too much but I would have liked to have heard it.

What are some high quality small voice uprights?

Last edited by LarryK; 04/11/19 08:02 AM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Why there are so many loud uprights? [Re: mabraman] #2837948
04/11/19 08:02 AM
04/11/19 08:02 AM
Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
Piano World Offline

6000 Post Club Member
Piano World  Offline

6000 Post Club Member

Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
Redesigning a piano is not an easy process (ask Del), it takes time and money.

In the meantime there are a few things one can try to quiet the piano down a bit.
I was going to describe these myself, but our friends over at Living Pianos (LivingPianos.com) already have so I'm borrowing it...
=========================================================
Placing an Upright Piano Near a Wall

Most of the sound of an upright piano comes from the back – where the soundboard is located:

Depending on where you place the piano in your room you can dampen the sound of the instrument. Placing an upright piano right next to a wall will make it quieter because a lot of the volume of the piano will be absorbed by the wall. Better yet, put dampening material behind the piano. This will also lessen the amount of sound that travels through the wall to neighbors.

Mute Rails on Upright Pianos

This feature is very common and available on many upright pianos. The middle pedal on some upright pianos functions as a “practice pedal” which lowers a piece of felt in front of the hammers and makes the piano extremely quiet.

Silent Systems

There is new technology available that can completely turn off the volume of your piano! A felt covered bar is placed in front of the hammer shanks so the hammers don’t hit the strings at all. Optical sensors read the performance of each key and transmit it through MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) to a sampled or other virtual piano sound played through speakers at any volume, or even through headphones for totally silent playing!

The only downside is that you’ll be hearing a simulation of a piano and not your actual instrument. However, you can hear the sound of a 9-foot concert grand even if you are playing an upright! The other good thing is that it is possible for you to enjoy the feel of a real piano. (I installed one of these systems in my Estonia L-190, it works great - Frank B.)

Treating the Room

The sound of a piano relies heavily on the room around it. You can add pieces of furniture or heavy curtains to absorb some of the sound if you feel the piano is a little too loud for the room.
=======================================================

The above may help some in quieting the piano down a bit (my thanks to living pianos).

Keep in mind that (all things being equal) the taller the piano the bigger the sound.
This does not necessarily mean it has to be louder, to a certain extent you can control the volume with playing technique.

What you do gain from a taller vertical piano is string length and soundboard area which when properly executed will produce a bigger richer sound.

Keep in mind too that a good piano technician can work with you to "voice" the piano.

- Frank B.
Founder / Owner / Host
PianoWorld.com
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
ProRecord.info
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
www.linkedin.com/in/pianoworld
My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190 w/ ProRecord, Yamaha P-80, Harpsichord (kit), Clavichord (kit), Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
Please invite every piano enthusiast you know to join our piano forums!

Re: Why there are so many loud uprights? [Re: LarryK] #2837967
04/11/19 09:10 AM
04/11/19 09:10 AM
Valencia, Spain
M
mabraman Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
mabraman  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
M

Valencia, Spain
Originally Posted by LarryK
What do you think?

How large is your room? How tall are the ceilings? If I buy an upright, I should put some thought into not overpowering my relatively small living room. The real estate agent who showed me my place said there was a grand piano in it at some point in the past. I think that would be too much but I would have liked to have heard it.

Room is large enough to handle an upright except for the ceilings (2,50m is a standard height).
I have already voice down the piano, and have some pieces of thick material behind it. Still too much sound, the ideal sound level would be around what you get pressing the left pedal, though it has compromises.

Last edited by mabraman; 04/11/19 09:10 AM.

Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
Re: Why there are so many loud uprights? [Re: mabraman] #2837972
04/11/19 09:16 AM
04/11/19 09:16 AM
Queensland, Australia
backto_study_piano Offline
1000 Post Club Member
backto_study_piano  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Queensland, Australia
What do you think?

How old is your K200? When the technician serviced it, did you mention that it was too loud? She/he should be able to voice it to suit the room - can make a big difference. They should also be able to advise on how to make the room quieter.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
Re: Why there are so many loud uprights? [Re: Piano World] #2837973
04/11/19 09:19 AM
04/11/19 09:19 AM
Valencia, Spain
M
mabraman Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
mabraman  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
M

Valencia, Spain
Originally Posted by Piano World
Redesigning a piano is not an easy process (ask Del), it takes time and money.

In the meantime...

Yes, thanks, I know about that much, what I wonder is...why are they so yelling? It's a nonsense to design an instrument that has to be silenced to become playable in average use. But the industry does nothing about it, the keep designing and selling louder and louder pianos.
See, I'm not deaf (still).

Last edited by mabraman; 04/11/19 09:21 AM.

Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
Re: Why there are so many loud uprights? [Re: mabraman] #2837974
04/11/19 09:20 AM
04/11/19 09:20 AM
New York City
L
LarryK Offline
500 Post Club Member
LarryK  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

New York City
What do you think?

Room is large enough to handle an upright except for the ceilings (2,50m is a standard height).
I have already voice down the piano, and have some pieces of thick material behind it. Still too much sound, the ideal sound level would be around what you get pressing the left pedal, though it has compromises.

I suppose I’m lucky that in the 1930s, when my apartment was built, the standards were different. My ceilings are 2.74m/9 feet. If you don’t mind my asking, what are the other dimensions of the room?

They stick grand pianos in tiny practice rooms in music schools so I guess anything is possible. Still, it would be nice to get the right sized piano.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Why there are so many loud uprights? [Re: LarryK] #2837976
04/11/19 09:25 AM
04/11/19 09:25 AM
Valencia, Spain
M
mabraman Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
mabraman  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
M

Valencia, Spain
Around 30 sq mts. Plenty of space for such a small piano, I thought. Perhaps it's just the way it is, and you need to spent a loooot of money in order to get one that plays mf as it is.

Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
Re: Why there are so many loud uprights? [Re: mabraman] #2837988
04/11/19 10:20 AM
04/11/19 10:20 AM
Long Beach, CA
TomLC Online content
Gold Subscriber
TomLC  Online Content
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member

Long Beach, CA
I bought a new K200 atx. It sounded terrific in the store. I traded a Kawai CA97 for it. Plus a lot of cash. The Kawai technician voiced it to be softer. I spent hundreds of dollars on acoustic foam and put a thick mat under it to damp the sound. After about six weeks, I traded again for a Kawai CS11. It was an expensive mistake.

[Linked Image]

Kawai Novus NV10
Re: Why there are so many loud uprights? [Re: mabraman] #2837989
04/11/19 10:27 AM
04/11/19 10:27 AM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

Reseda, California

Uprights are typically less expensive than grands, and people give them less maintenance. In particular, as the hammers wear, they get harder and harder, which makes the piano louder and louder. They need to be filed and voiced. Have a tech do that, it should be your first step in solving this problem.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: Why there are so many loud uprights? [Re: mabraman] #2837996
04/11/19 10:49 AM
04/11/19 10:49 AM
Valencia, Spain
M
mabraman Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
mabraman  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
M

Valencia, Spain
Again...that had been done, already. Felts are not thick or compressed, no indentations. It's a design problem.

Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
Re: Why there are so many loud uprights? [Re: TomLC] #2837997
04/11/19 10:52 AM
04/11/19 10:52 AM
Valencia, Spain
M
mabraman Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
mabraman  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
M

Valencia, Spain
Originally Posted by TomLC
I bought a new K200 atx. It sounded terrific in the store. I traded a Kawai CA97 for it. Plus a lot of cash. The Kawai technician voiced it to be softer. I spent hundreds of dollars on acoustic foam and put a thick mat under it to damp the sound. After about six weeks, I traded again for a Kawai CS11. It was an expensive mistake.

Sad to know!

And funny...though I've stood 4 years more than you...I'll probably do the same.

Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
Re: Why there are so many loud uprights? [Re: mabraman] #2838030
04/11/19 12:01 PM
04/11/19 12:01 PM
Chiltern Hills, England.
G
gwing Offline
gwing  Offline
G

Chiltern Hills, England.
Again...that had been done, already. Felts are not thick or compressed, no indentations. It's a design problem.

Strange isn't it. I have a Yammy UX3 which is louder than the K200 and I also play it in a smaller room (15m although the ceiling is a bit higher at 8'6") yet it is quite capable of playing at appropriate volume. It *is* loud when my wife lets rip on it with enthusiasm but that is because she wants it to sound that way.

That all said, if I had a thin adjoining wall with neighbours that were noise sensitive the noise would transfer and there would be complaints. However I think that would also be the case for any acoustic piano and getting a quieter piano wouldn't solve the problem.

I don't think there is a design problem at all here, rather a question of choosing the correct instrument for the environment - even if that has to mean a digital with headphones.

Re: Why there are so many loud uprights? [Re: gwing] #2838038
04/11/19 12:31 PM
04/11/19 12:31 PM
New York City
L
LarryK Offline
500 Post Club Member
LarryK  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

New York City
Originally Posted by gwing

Strange isn't it. I have a Yammy UX3 which is louder than the K200 and I also play it in a smaller room (15m although the ceiling is a bit higher at 8'6") yet it is quite capable of playing at appropriate volume. It *is* loud when my wife lets rip on it with enthusiasm but that is because she wants it to sound that way.

That all said, if I had a thin adjoining wall with neighbours that were noise sensitive the noise would transfer and there would be complaints. However I think that would also be the case for any acoustic piano and getting a quieter piano wouldn't solve the problem.

I don't think there is a design problem at all here, rather a question of choosing the correct instrument for the environment - even if that has to mean a digital with headphones.

Where I would put the piano, it wouldn’t be up against a wall shared with a neighbor but I wonder about the sound traveling down through the floor. Can anything be done to mitigate that?

Somebody on one of the threads said it was impossible to have a piano in an apartment. That person needs to talk to the woman in the next building who plays her grand every day. I can hear it across a courtyard, whether or not her windows are open. It doesn’t bother me, but it might bother me if I lived underneath it.

I don’t want to make anyone’s life miserable so I would keep a digital piano for most of the practice and just use the acoustic once in a while.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Why there are so many loud uprights? [Re: mabraman] #2838065
04/11/19 01:34 PM
04/11/19 01:34 PM
Brittany, France
P
petebfrance Offline
petebfrance  Offline
P

Brittany, France
In our old house the piano was in a small, carpeted dining-room placed with no soft furnishing at all and against an internal wall - it was reasonably quiet, could happily be played at full volume.
Not so when we moved into this house - large oblong room with soft furnishing, carpets on top of lino - amazingly loud, and that's with the piano on an internal wall. Wasn't so bad at the other end of the room, but when we moved it across so that we could insulate the other wall it was astonishingly noisy.
Tricky stuff, dealing with pianos.

regards
Pete
Re: Why there are so many loud uprights? [Re: mabraman] #2838092
04/11/19 03:09 PM
04/11/19 03:09 PM
U
U3piano Offline
U3piano  Offline
U

I would definitely be interested in a little bit quieter nice sounding upright.

Dear piano manufacturers, please take note: some people share walls with neighbours!

Re: Why there are so many loud uprights? [Re: LarryK] #2838113
04/11/19 03:58 PM
04/11/19 03:58 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Online Content

New York City
.They stick grand pianos in tiny practice rooms in music schools so I guess anything is possible. Still, it would be nice to get the right sized piano.
This does not mean the sound good in those rooms.

Re: Why there are so many loud uprights? [Re: mabraman] #2838121
04/11/19 04:15 PM
04/11/19 04:15 PM
Louisiana
Jolly Offline
Jolly  Offline

Louisiana
How 'bout a suggestion?

Quit banging on the piano.

I prefer the K300, but the K220 is not an overly loud piano. The Perzina at the house can be, but since the wife has arthritis pretty badly, she doesn't "lean" too hard into the piano. Let somebody, particularly a man, play the piano that has never played it before and you'd probably wish for earmuffs.

So, change technique a bit or change the piano, probably through needling the hammers.

www.coffee-room.com

Over 1.4M (and counting) posts where pianists discuss everything. And nothing.
Re: Why there are so many loud uprights? [Re: mabraman] #2838124
04/11/19 04:27 PM
04/11/19 04:27 PM
R
redfish1901 Offline
redfish1901  Offline
R

I don't think it's the manufacturer's fault.

1. Some of these uprights get used in class rooms or churches, with the sound board facing the audience. They need to be loud to project.

2. Loud pianos sound better next to quiet pianos in the show room.

3. Some people like the loud. My grand is in a smallish room, and it's plenty loud with the lid down. On full stick, it's loud, BUT I LIKE IT!

4. I think people who learned on digital pianos, with their tiny speakers and volume control, forget how loud proper grand pianos really are.

Last edited by redfish1901; 04/11/19 04:30 PM.
Re: Why there are so many loud uprights? [Re: pianoloverus] #2838126
04/11/19 04:31 PM
04/11/19 04:31 PM
SE USA
WhoDwaldi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
WhoDwaldi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

SE USA
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
.They stick grand pianos in tiny practice rooms in music schools so I guess anything is possible. Still, it would be nice to get the right sized piano.
This does not mean the sound good in those rooms.

Originally Posted by Jolly
How 'bout a suggestion?

Quit banging on the piano.

In my student days, I always sought out the practice rooms with darker-sounding pianos. Some people seemed to prefer the rooms with the ear-piercers, which I never quite understood. And they pounded loudly, on top of that!

Take "hold of the key" with the fleshy fingertip, don't hit the key down! 🎹😁

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Progression suggestions
by Jake0254. 09/21/19 07:24 PM
Native Instruments NOIRE demo & short review
by Keunyoung Song. 09/21/19 05:38 PM
Need Help Determining The Damage Done To A Clavinova CLP-220
by Thedominationer. 09/21/19 04:46 PM
Big Swing Grand (Yamaha C6) for Kontakt
by Nor. 09/21/19 04:14 PM
DIY table stand for Roland FP10
by AlphaBravoCharlie. 09/21/19 03:37 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,149
Posts2,871,836
Members94,473
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission