Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
109 registered members (AWilley, anotherscott, Avalanch, Animisha, augustm, akc42, 36251, 29 invisible), 1,380 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Weekly time commitment for those who take lessons [Re: Cheshire Chris] #2837733
04/10/19 04:13 PM
04/10/19 04:13 PM
NYC
R
Roadkill Offline OP
Roadkill  Offline OP
R

NYC
Originally Posted by Cheshire Chris
I think most teachers would recommend weekly lessons for a newcomer to the piano (sorry - I’m making assumptions here about your current level of experience) because the first few lessons are the most important - they’re what develop the basic skills and are the time when frequent corrections may be required. There’s not a lesson goes by when my teacher doesn’t correct something I’m doing wrong in my playing technique.

I've been lurking herein ABF and teacher's forum for a while now. From teacher's forum, you soon get the idea that shorter frequent lesson would be ideal, rather than longer lesson and longer inbetween period. I'm not a complete beginner but it doesn't matter - I plan to start from absolute basic. I suspect I have a lot of gap in my knowledge.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Weekly time commitment for those who take lessons [Re: cmb13] #2837735
04/10/19 04:15 PM
04/10/19 04:15 PM
NYC
R
Roadkill Offline OP
Roadkill  Offline OP
R

NYC
Originally Posted by cmb13
I'd say take the 30 min and be happy. One day you may find you need more and will make the time, as many of us have.

Some is better than none. Just sitting down for 5 minutes helps, and often turns into longer.

Yeah, I think I'd be happy to play piano for 30 min a day rather than waiting for "some day" when I'll have more free time.

Re: Weekly time commitment for those who take lessons [Re: Roadkill] #2837736
04/10/19 04:17 PM
04/10/19 04:17 PM
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Chris Offline
Cheshire Chris  Offline

Cheshire, UK
That sounds like an excellent plan. I’m a great believer in the idea that you need solid foundations to build anything worthwhile on.

Chris

Yamaha P-515, Yamaha Reface CP.
Re: Weekly time commitment for those who take lessons [Re: BruceD] #2837746
04/10/19 04:30 PM
04/10/19 04:30 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by Roadkill
[...]
Btw, in what circumstances would you recommend biweekly lessons?

It's a personal choice. I like to have my repertoire well prepared when I go to my lesson, with all notes solidly learned and in the hand, as they say. I don't bring a piece to a lesson that I can't play all the way through at a reasonable, consistent tempo, even if it's not yet performance tempo. That way, we spend our time discussing interpretation and resolving some technical issues, but it's never a question of learning the right notes at a lesson.

I find that two weeks between lessons is not only a good time to prepare but it also allows me the opportunity - when really necessary - to miss a day of practicing when life intervenes and interrupts my otherwise well-regulated schedule.

Regards,

Bruce,

I assume you're quite advanced, given the duration of time you've been on the forum and your wealth of knowledge, so I was a little surprised that you still take lessons. I'm wondering, could you tell me for how long you've been playing, and a brief list of the some of the pieces on which you're working, for some perspective? I'm wondering what I have to look forward to!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Weekly time commitment for those who take lessons [Re: cmb13] #2837749
04/10/19 04:31 PM
04/10/19 04:31 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
Originally Posted by BruceD
[...]
Btw, in what circumstances would you recommend biweekly lessons?

It's a personal choice. I like to have my repertoire well prepared when I go to my lesson, with all notes solidly learned and in the hand, as they say. I don't bring a piece to a lesson that I can't play all the way through at a reasonable, consistent tempo, even if it's not yet performance tempo. That way, we spend our time discussing interpretation and resolving some technical issues, but it's never a question of learning the right notes at a lesson.

I find that two weeks between lessons is not only a good time to prepare but it also allows me the opportunity - when really necessary - to miss a day of practicing when life intervenes and interrupts my otherwise well-regulated schedule.

Regards,

Bruce,

I assume you're quite advanced, given the duration of time you've been on the forum and your wealth of knowledge, so I was a little surprised that you still take lessons. I'm wondering, could you tell me for how long you've been playing, and a brief list of the some of the pieces on which you're working, for some perspective? I'm wondering what I have to look forward to!
You beat me to it. I was going to point out that Bruce is an experienced player and can 'afford,' instruction-wise, less frequent lessons. For those in the beginner to intermediate stages, a weekly lesson seems to be the sweet spot. That said, a lesson every two weeks is better than no lessons at all.

[Linked Image]
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams
Re: Weekly time commitment for those who take lessons [Re: cmb13] #2837753
04/10/19 04:38 PM
04/10/19 04:38 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

5000 Post Club Member

I assume you're quite advanced, given the duration of time you've been on the forum and your wealth of knowledge, so I was a little surprised that you still take lessons.

What? wink I personally believe life-long learning is where it's at. I'm giving BruceD two thumb thumb for living this philosophy!

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Weekly time commitment for those who take lessons [Re: Roadkill] #2837755
04/10/19 04:39 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
Yes, Stubbie, but it does raise the point that even some advanced, experience pianists continue to take lessons to improve skills, work on new repertoire, keep motivation to advance, etc.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune

Re: Weekly time commitment for those who take lessons [Re: Roadkill] #2837756
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
@TS exactly!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune

Re: Weekly time commitment for those who take lessons [Re: cmb13] #2837761
04/10/19 04:47 PM
04/10/19 04:47 PM

5000 Post Club Member

@TS exactly!

I read on another thread about some people who stopped trying to learn new repertoire and would just play (almost daily) their favorite pieces. Actually made me feel a little sad for them. Like being frozen/lost in time! frown

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Weekly time commitment for those who take lessons [Re: Roadkill] #2837765
04/10/19 04:56 PM
04/10/19 04:56 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
Yes but at some point, I would imagine that you would no longer need lessons to continue to learn new repertoire on your own. I actually learn some pieces on my own although I’m still far from ending professional instruction.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune

Re: Weekly time commitment for those who take lessons [Re: cmb13] #2837768
04/10/19 04:59 PM
04/10/19 04:59 PM

5000 Post Club Member

Yes but at some point, I would imagine that you would no longer need lessons to continue to learn new repertoire on your own. I actually learn some pieces on my own although I’m still far from ending professional instruction.

Agreed, learning new repertoire and life-long learning are two different thing.... unless the new repertoire you are trying to learn is La Campanella, in which case it definitely counts in the latter category grin

Re: Weekly time commitment for those who take lessons [Re: cmb13] #2837782
04/10/19 05:39 PM
04/10/19 05:39 PM
Virginia
D
DFSRN Offline
500 Post Club Member
DFSRN  Offline
500 Post Club Member
D

Virginia
CMB, I agree. My piano teacher is master's prepared musician, he also plays the organ. I was surprised when he told me he still takes organ lessons.

Deb
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
Re: Weekly time commitment for those who take lessons [Re: Roadkill] #2837789
04/10/19 05:55 PM
04/10/19 05:55 PM
Virginia
D
DFSRN Offline
500 Post Club Member
DFSRN  Offline
500 Post Club Member
D

Virginia
Roadkill, I play 2 hours a day, generally 1 hour at a time and more on weekends time permitting. If I play 3 hours a day on weekends, it is like morning, noon, and evening. I am really drawn to the piano and like to play. I look forward to practicing. Too bad I didn't practice like this as a child. I am fortunate to have a teacher that performs at a nursing home once a month and I play either a solo or duet. Sometimes I wonder why I put myself through this as I have anxiety about playing in front of people. However, it is personal growth.

“You never change your life until you step out of your comfort zone; change begins at the end of your comfort zone.”
― Roy T. Bennett

Deb
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
Re: Weekly time commitment for those who take lessons [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2837798
04/10/19 06:15 PM
04/10/19 06:15 PM
NYC
R
Roadkill Offline OP
Roadkill  Offline OP
R

NYC
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
How long are your lessons? According to my 7:1 ratio that just has been happening, if you have 30 min lessons, 30 mins a day should just be about right.

I don't have a teacher yet but I was thinking somewhere along an hour lesson. I'd imagine 30 min lesson would whiz by so fast that only a fraction would get covered. But I can be easily persuaded for whatever appropriate lesson time, depending on what teacher thinks I'll need, and what I can afford time and money wise.

If you only have 30 mins to practice per day, I suggest you start with 30 min/wk lessons, and then increase from there as the need appears.

I did similarly in that I had 1 hr/day to practice last year and started with 1 hr/wk lessons, but for reasons you allude to, decided to increase to 2x45min/wk this year. As mentioned on that other thread, I had fully intended to stick with 60min/day practice but found I wasn't covering enough material, given my 2 lessons/wk schedule, and without giving it conscious thought, found myself increasing to 90mins/day.

Somehow missed this comment between replies..

I do have a prospective teacher in mind and for adults, she offers 1 hr lesson a la carte. So that's where I got the idea for an hour lesson from.

What do you cover in your 45 min lesson? What do you cover in your 90 min practice session? How many pieces are in your rep? I'm curious as I don't really remember lessons much and I know my practices were the "play through the section X times" sort.

Re: Weekly time commitment for those who take lessons [Re: Roadkill] #2837800
04/10/19 06:21 PM
04/10/19 06:21 PM
M
Moo :) Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Moo :)  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

As a child I had weekly lessons of 30 minutes. As an adult I have 1 hour lessons. My lessons are flexible. Less frequent. I think the need for regular lessons lessens with experience. I still learn a lot from lessons. For frequency, I normally find a sometimes weekly is too soon if I haven’t practiced much, a lesson every other week is ideal but a 3 week break is a bit too long. I have a 3 week break and ended up posting here as I needed so tips and didn’t have my lesson to rely on. I don’t think I practice as much as most people here. Not sure how long. Sometimes 20 minutes. Sometimes an hour at weekends. Not more. I just play 2 pieces now and stops everything else like scales.

Re: Weekly time commitment for those who take lessons [Re: Roadkill] #2837801
04/10/19 06:22 PM
04/10/19 06:22 PM
NYC
R
Roadkill Offline OP
Roadkill  Offline OP
R

NYC
I'm discouraged at the distinct lack of responses from "I practice 20~30 min a day and I manage okay" group smile I understand not so motivated and dedicated people wouldn't be registering here in the first place or at least will get weeded out pretty quick but there's gotta be a demographic that falls somewhere between super dedicated and filthy casuals!

Anyway, on a more serious note, props to 1 hr + practice people because that's where I am to be eventually.

Re: Weekly time commitment for those who take lessons [Re: Roadkill] #2837804
04/10/19 06:39 PM
04/10/19 06:39 PM
India
Tech-key Offline
Tech-key  Offline

India
I'm discouraged at the distinct lack of responses from "I practice 20~30 min a day and I manage okay" group smile

I generally practice for more than an hour, but last week I couldn't get much time and only practiced around 20-30 mins. Managed fine with my lesson piece. Even though I couldn't get it up to full tempo, my teacher mentioned my dynamics has improved a bit. I suck at those, so I was happy!

BTW, my teacher doesn't expect me to practice for longer times, and assigns things accordingly. Because of responsibilities of adulthood, etc. etc. I have a lot of free time right now, so automatically the piano time increases. In my earlier schedule, even 30 mins everyday would have been a feat. Most likely, I'd be doing half an hour to an hour a day, if things get busy again.

Think Twice, Play Once
Re: Weekly time commitment for those who take lessons [Re: Roadkill] #2837805
04/10/19 06:47 PM
04/10/19 06:47 PM
M
Moo :) Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Moo :)  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

It is not a requirement to practice excessively. I actually would suggest that a flexible approach is better. . learning piano is very challenging and if your going well it can take 10 years to get through the grades to a level where you can start to play challenging pieces at the diploma level. So I would advise not to compare. I am have had 14 years of lessons and as a child I didn’t have much comparison but now online you have this everywhere. As you said it is a false reality as you see only a self selecting group. I even go on reddit and wonder how everyone is playing fantasie impromptu after a few months - but at least with experience I can see it’s a bit off - and I remember it’s very hard. You can make music from day 1. I may suggest that if your a total beginner it may be helpful not to watch too much of these online progress videos etc. Good luck x

Re: Weekly time commitment for those who take lessons [Re: Roadkill] #2837812
04/10/19 07:20 PM
04/10/19 07:20 PM
H
Hotstrings Offline
Hotstrings  Offline
H

Never stop studying if you can afford it and are physically able. I am a guitarist for 62 years: taught it , played thousands of gigs, tours, and clinics w masters. I always learned cool stuff. Discovered the piano nearly two years ago and although I still play guitar to keep my chops up, I’m totally about piano now. I practice a minimum of 3-4 hrs a day w 90 minute lesson every other week w Skype support in between. Truthfully lessons are not about time at all.
It’s about what can you draw out from teachers experience. My teacher might tell me something that takes 5 minutes but significantly enhances and enriches one’s playing. Worth more than the whole lesson.
Always practice on the days that you eat. I taught guitar for 20 years and it didn’t matter if student couldn’t practice a long time but if you touch instrument some daily, you will notice difference.
My piano teacher is nearly 80 and he studies w a classical master who is 90.
Remember everyone has something to bring to the table.
Yes, you can teach yourself a lot w all technology available, but a good mix of private lessons, u tube, clinics, and playing w others is ideal.

Re: Weekly time commitment for those who take lessons [Re: Roadkill] #2837814
04/10/19 07:32 PM
04/10/19 07:32 PM
Kitsap County, WA
Chrispy Offline
Gold Subscriber
Chrispy  Offline
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member

Kitsap County, WA
I'm not retired and do 1 hour lessons and usually 2-3 hours a day of practice... my teacher thinks I'm crazy, maybe my wife too. I call it my midlife crisis. I'm worried I'll be dead before I get as proficient as I want to be. My teacher says he's happy if his adult students can practice 1/2 hour a day but realizes real life interferes. For myself, basically piano is my only hobby right now, and I don't watch TV or surf the web in the evenings or generally waste the kind of time I used to (I haunt these boards during breaks at work :D) and I get my exercise during my commute.

𝒀𝒂𝒎𝒂𝒉𝒂 𝑨𝒗𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝑮𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑵1𝑿
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Understanding chords, please help
by Pippa. 07/17/19 08:46 AM
Yesterday - The Beatles - piano arrangement
by nappy. 07/17/19 03:21 AM
Polished Ebony Finish
by Romar. 07/16/19 07:02 PM
1973 Mason & Hamlin Model A
by vickie1124. 07/16/19 06:12 PM
Digital Piano Headphones
by Romar. 07/16/19 05:53 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,039
Posts2,849,173
Members93,905
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission