2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
29 registered members (AZNpiano, Almaviva, chopinetto, ClassicalDad, 36251, ColoRodney, ambrozy, 9 invisible), 316 guests, and 329 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Piano.. doping? [Re: U3piano] #2837478 04/09/19 11:47 PM
J
jandz Offline
J
I don’t have an opinion on playing or performing while high. Substances like marijuana affect everyone differently so one cannot endorse it, of course, and you explicitly don’t in the OP. That said, there is no shortage of storied musicians who have performed while high, so many that I won’t bother to link to stories. Simple search queries will reveal that if you wish to look.

For me, in my world, i think of this in two ways. 1) pot always helped me enjoy music but I’ve never felt like it helped me create or perform it better. Sometimes it was worse. One of my goals as a performer is to connect with an audience and pot interferes with that for me, so I wouldn’t use it personally. 2) I never want to depend on anything but myself for performance. And my nerves, of course, but they’re annoying enough on their own without any help from things that make me more anxious. 😉

So really, you have to do what’s right for you. Personally, I want to just be comfortable in my own skin, ready, without the need for anything more than water. And air, air is good. So assuming I can still breathe and drink (no small feat before walking on a stage) then everything else is fine....

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Piano.. doping? [Re: U3piano] #2837480 04/10/19 12:18 AM
T
thepianoplayer416 Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
T
Never thought the topic would come up. I used to know a man living across town who is addicted to prescription pain killers (opioids) prescribed by his doctor. He claimed to get hallucinations and sleepless nights. I'm not sure if his medications affected his piano playing because he only started playing 2 years ago and he has been taking pain killers regularly for at least 10. The way he learned his pieces is by watching video demos on hand positions. He has trouble learning notations as if it is a foreign language. Not sure if the man has a learning disability as well.

Last October Canada started legalizing marijuana mainly for medicinal purposes. For many years people can get a doctor's prescription for it as long as the doctor is able to certify that no other methods of treatment is effective. Legalizing weed just makes it easier for people to get it for medicinal use without getting charged with possession. Last week the first retail store in the city opened for recreational marijuana. The first day there was a big line-up outside the store. We can now get it without a doctor's prescription.

I know for a fact a lot of Jazz musicians in the US used to get high on heroin. When it comes to professional musicians, Classical pianists tend to be free of drugs. I am the only one in the family who plays music regularly and I don't smoke. Not planning to smoke and play in the future.

Re: Piano.. doping? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2837487 04/10/19 01:12 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
When it comes to professional musicians, Classical pianists tend to be free of drugs.

The topic of MDMA came up in this thread. The consensus was that professional classical pianists do not use MDMA, including classical piano students at the conservatory. I'm a bit more doubtful as I think I know something of human nature. All performers "fall" on occasion, under the pressure of the public eye and a heavy performance schedule. And then when it comes to classical piano students at the conservatory, the idea they are all drug-free is wishful thinking, at best.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Piano.. doping? [Re: U3piano] #2837488 04/10/19 01:18 AM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
I know one thing: if this thread Continues to wander off into discussions of illegal drugs, the odds of this thread being shut down by a moderator go up. I, for one, Would like to hear the results of the OP’s experiment.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Piano.. doping? [Re: U3piano] #2837490 04/10/19 01:21 AM
9000 Post Club Member
Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by U3piano
So back to my experience, i feel it's amazing to play while "high" because my feeling, emotion and concentration are intensified, alot. When playing una mattina by Einaudi it sounded instantly better than when i do in a normal state of mind. Normally i have more trouble keeping rhythem while creating the echo type sound that this song has. Now im calmer, and how to explain.. totally "in" the music, feeling the emotional piano sounds way more intense and my playing started to sound like Einaudi himself to me. Of course, still not as good as him, but i felt i entered his world of focus, feeling and concentration. And no, it's definitely not just my perception because of the high, it's not like im drunk, nothing is wrong with my judgement.

Take a look at this description of a recovering addict and OD survivor who is a classical pianist and how he describes playing piano under the effects of cannabis.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Piano.. doping? [Re: dogperson] #2837491 04/10/19 01:26 AM
9000 Post Club Member
Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson
I know one thing: if this thread Continues to wander off into discussions of illegal drugs, the odds of this thread being shut down by a moderator go up.

Cannabis is legal in more and more jurisdictions in the world including many areas of the US and Canada.

No one in the thread who has mentioned substances other than cannabis, are advocating their use.

[Linked Image]

Re: Piano.. doping? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2837493 04/10/19 01:49 AM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I know one thing: if this thread Continues to wander off into discussions of illegal drugs, the odds of this thread being shut down by a moderator go up.

Cannabis is legal in more and more jurisdictions in the world including many areas of the US and Canada.

No one in the thread who has mentioned substances other than cannabis, are advocating their use.

Just to clarify, cannabis is legal in all of Canada, not just in certain areas, as your post suggests.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
Re: Piano.. doping? [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2837494 04/10/19 01:53 AM
9000 Post Club Member
Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Just to clarify, cannabis is legal in all of Canada, not just in certain areas, as your post suggests.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Oops. Sorry, I misspoke - rewording: "Cannabis is legal in more and more jurisdictions in the world, including many areas of the US and all of Canada."

[Linked Image]

Re: Piano.. doping? [Re: U3piano] #2837498 04/10/19 02:32 AM
Terry Michael Offline
Somehow I believe this statement: “Einaudi it sounded instantly better than when i do in a normal state of mind.“

TH
[Linked Image]
Re: Piano.. doping? [Re: U3piano] #2837519 04/10/19 04:25 AM
S
SuzyUpright Offline
S
Hi U3 piano, I have been a 'naughty pianist' as you say smile
My experience with it has shown me that for practise ( learning new pieces, working on technical bits etc.) it's definitely not the best idea. It affects the efficiency of my session for sure.
I save it for occasional times when I'm just playing ( and home for the evening with no driving responsibilities ) or working on ear playing while listening to records. Moderation in all things as you say. It's legal now in my country too.

Cheers!

Re: Piano.. doping? [Re: U3piano] #2837526 04/10/19 05:39 AM
U
U3piano Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
U
I agree Suzy, learning new pieces is like studying, and it's not the best idea. I have not tried learning new pieces while under influence. I just wanted to play, so I only played memorized pieces.

Marijuana is not for times that you need to study, work, be productive, or responsible, be in traffic etc. I agree, just occasionally in the evening, after handling the responsibilities of the day and there's time to relax.

Do you think it improves your playing?

Re: Piano.. doping? [Re: U3piano] #2837531 04/10/19 05:52 AM
U
U3piano Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
U

Do you think it improves your playing?

Because of the intensified feeling of music, i mean.

Re: Piano.. doping? [Re: U3piano] #2837534 04/10/19 06:16 AM
S
SuzyUpright Offline
S
Hmmmm....I think being relaxed and present improves my playing, but there's no guarantee that indulging in cannabis will have that affect. It depends on other factors as well, like my mood, stresses of the day, how tired i am etc.
To answer your question more directly, I'd have to say no....but it does change my perspective slightly and I certainly enjoy it smile

Re: Piano.. doping? [Re: U3piano] #2837539 04/10/19 06:29 AM
K
Keselo Offline
K
I've tried it a couple of times, some of my personal findings.

1. It's very easy to 'get in the zone'. Everything just sounds twice as beautiful.
2. On the flipside, one mistake and I'm out of the zone. Mistakes throw me off big time.
3. I become super self-conscious about my neighbours being able to hear my playing, so I play super quietly or just stop after two pieces. I'll also never play one piece more than once in a sitting, to not bore the neighbours...
4. I play more freely. I've made recordings of my playing while high, and while there were obvious flaws, I could also clearly hear how I played more from the heart, so to say. Somehow, I pay more attention to melodic lines and how to express them.
5. If I haven't practised that day and then try to play while high, things just fall flat. I must've practised what I want to play, or it just doesn't work.

It's interesting, but I wouldn't ever consider it superior to sober playing. You really play for yourself, more so than any other time.

I've started playing January 2017, Nothing is too easy is where I keep track of my progress.

[Linked Image]
Re: Piano.. doping? [Re: U3piano] #2837547 04/10/19 07:11 AM
QuasiUnaFantasia Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Since Cannabis, being to some extent psychedelic, will generally cause changes in perception, it seems very reasonable that both the enjoyment of music, and the ability to evaluate the quality of playing will change when under the influence of this herb. Whether this is good, or bad, is hardly something that can be decided objectively, but from my personal point of view, such change in perception would probably be more useful for a composer than for a reproducing artist.

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Pianoteq 6.5 (Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2), Garritan CFX Lite, Production Voices Estate Grand
Re: Piano.. doping? [Re: QuasiUnaFantasia] #2837559 04/10/19 07:49 AM
U
U3piano Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia
but from my personal point of view, such change in perception would probably be more useful for a composer than for a reproducing artist.

I agree, a composer would benefit more. In my youth, i used cannabis, and from my experience i know it definitely boosts creativity. I know this because i was producing music in my youth, mainly techno kind of music and hiphop beats. I usually got to a point were i got kinda stuck, and didn't know how to continue a song or beat, until i used cannabis, then, the creativity kept on flowing.

I can explain it a little bit. If you are producing your own music, you are constantly changing things, trying things, perfecting things. That has a downside, you hear your own song or even just a piece of it repeatedly so many times, you get bored with it. And when you are bored with it, you lose interest and creativity. After using cannabis, my project sounded good again, kind of like when you hear it for the first time, and this got me motivated and creative again.

To make a long story short, cannabis can be good for some things, and bad for other things, but it definitely helps to get your creativity going.

(Now before, (or maybe after) everyone gets the wrong idea here, im actually a very health concious person. I don't smoke, i hardly drink any alcohol, i eat healthy, and work out. If the only way to ingest cannabis was to smoke it, i wouldn't do it because i don't want to smoke anything. But it's 2019 and there are these neat little things called vaporizers, a much better option for the health concious and even with that, i use the tiniest microdose you can imagine.)

Re: Piano.. doping? [Re: U3piano] #2837561 04/10/19 07:53 AM
Dr. Rogers Offline
When playing una mattina by Einaudi it sounded instantly better than when i do in a normal state of mind.

Maybe that's why I've never been able to stomach Einaudi - lack of chemical preparation!

But on a serious note, I wonder just how widespread doping is in the the classical piano world. I know some teachers advise their adult students to take beta blockers before exams, or at least eat a banana (something about potassium - I recommend bananas to my students despite suspecting it's just a magic feather). I also recall an anecdote (maybe someone can give specifics) about a well-known concert pianist who would not attempt a specific piece while sober.

At any rate, I prefer to be sober and clear minded while playing. Part of that may be my favored repertoire: I don't think I could appreciate or do justice to intricate, intellectual music like Bach while intoxicated. Personal preference, and I won't judge someone for indulging harmlessly. But I just might judge someone for liking Einaudi - ye gads!

Austin Rogers, PhD
Music Teacher in Austin, TX
Baldwin SD-10 Concert Grand "Kuroneko", Baldwin Upright, Yamaha P-255
Re: Piano.. doping? [Re: U3piano] #2837568 04/10/19 08:07 AM
U
U3piano Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
U
Sorry, i am a fan of his music! blush

I do understand it's not on a level of complexity like bach or chopin, but i still love the music. I get the impression that most people on this forum are umm.. less impressed by his music than i am, am I right?

The nice thing about it is also that it gets me playing, because the pieces are not that complex. I also love chopin, bach.. etc, but while i haven't really tried, i think im not on a level to play that yet. Im learning by myself, and just play some Einaudi and Yann Tiersen pieces right now. I know, a teacher is better, but let's not get into that discussion here. Maybe some day, right now im just having a blast on my piano everyday, sober or not! grin

Re: Piano.. doping? [Re: Dr. Rogers] #2837572 04/10/19 08:43 AM
Handyman Offline
Originally Posted by Dr. Rogers
At any rate, I prefer to be sober and clear minded while playing. Part of that may be my favored repertoire: I don't think I could appreciate or do justice to intricate, intellectual music like Bach while intoxicated. Personal preference, and I won't judge someone for indulging harmlessly. But I just might judge someone for liking Einaudi - ye gads!

I agree about being "sober and clear minded" while playing...if one can't experience a deep emotional connection with the music one is playing without the use of drugs then one is either playing the wrong music or one needs psychological help of a non-chemical, professional nature to sort out one's dysfunctional emotional states...

But, I'm not entirely certain that it is either sober or clear minded for a Ph.D bearing music teacher to have such strong preferences either for the staid, mechanical, repetitive dronings of Bach or against the generally pleasing and melodic creations of Einaudi - one would expect a more balanced approach to universal music appreciation from an advanced degree holding professional...

John

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
Re: Piano.. doping? [Re: Keselo] #2837594 04/10/19 10:03 AM
U
U3piano Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by Keselo
I've tried it a couple of times, some of my personal findings.

1. It's very easy to 'get in the zone'. Everything just sounds twice as beautiful.
2. On the flipside, one mistake and I'm out of the zone. Mistakes throw me off big time.
3. I become super self-conscious about my neighbours being able to hear my playing, so I play super quietly or just stop after two pieces. I'll also never play one piece more than once in a sitting, to not bore the neighbours...
4. I play more freely. I've made recordings of my playing while high, and while there were obvious flaws, I could also clearly hear how I played more from the heart, so to say. Somehow, I pay more attention to melodic lines and how to express them.
5. If I haven't practised that day and then try to play while high, things just fall flat. I must've practised what I want to play, or it just doesn't work.

It's interesting, but I wouldn't ever consider it superior to sober playing. You really play for yourself, more so than any other time.

Very interested to read. It seem you fully understand what i'm talking about. Ill tell you my experience with your findings:

1. Yes, exactly as you describe. This was exciting to me.
2. I did not notice anything like this, just the normal mistake here and there, but it didn't throw me off more.
3. I have the opposite experience on this one, i enjoyed playing even more than i normally do, and since i felt that i played and sounded better, i was actually a little less concious about the neighbors. Other than that i do the same as you, never play a piece twice, and not too long, not on bad times, etc. When i feel it might be enough for them, i just continue playing on my digital.
4. Again, exactly what i ment with my original post. I haven't made recordings yet, but you described perfectly what i noticed about my playing. I think this is at least pretty interesting.
5. I did not notice anything like this.

Of course no person is the same, and one's playing performance depends partly on all other factors in life also.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  BB Player 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Differences between C Bechstein C232 vs C234
by Michiyo-Fir - 04/02/20 07:34 PM
New buyer, need help deciding!
by Kebo - 04/02/20 04:27 PM
Kawai CA-58 Issues?
by darksecretagent - 04/02/20 03:27 PM
How to re-program notes assigned to keys?
by jhampton18873 - 04/02/20 02:33 PM
Help me re-structure my lessons
by Ido - 04/02/20 01:52 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,880
Posts2,941,480
Members96,459
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission