Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
73 registered members (brettr, baudelairepianist, Charles Cohen, AnnInMiami, apianostudent, 18 invisible), 1,310 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17
Re: Why do people not favor uprights?? [Re: outo] #2836461
04/07/19 02:03 PM
04/07/19 02:03 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Lady Bird  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
Originally Posted by outo
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Outo
I am sorry for using the name Outdo instead of your real name which is Outo ! If I make a mistake please correct me !

I really didn't mind! Things like that do not bother me...besides Outdo sounds cool, I could definitely use it for a nick...

I have a rule on this forum: I will not write to anyone something that I could not say to their face in real life...unfortunately I can be quite outspoken in real life too smile

Thank you , I guess I can understand how I made that mistake.Outdo, has perhaps more meaning to me in English . (also easy to remember )Strangely enough I also thought it
quite cool ! But so is Outo !

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Why do people not favor uprights?? [Re: Lady Bird] #2836469
04/07/19 02:18 PM
04/07/19 02:18 PM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
Outo
I am sorry for using the name Outdo instead of your real name which is Outo ! If I make a mistake please correct me !

I really didn't mind! Things like that do not bother me...besides Outdo sounds cool, I could definitely use it for a nick...

I have a rule on this forum: I will not write to anyone something that I could not say to their face in real life...unfortunately I can be quite outspoken in real life too smile

Thank you , I guess I can understand how I made that mistake.Outdo, has perhaps more meaning to me in English . (also easy to remember )Strangely enough I also thought it

Which is a real word in Finnish, but also what some of my friends fondly use as a nickname for me wink

Re: Why do people not favor uprights?? [Re: DFSRN] #2836478
04/07/19 02:47 PM
04/07/19 02:47 PM
L
LarryK Offline
500 Post Club Member
LarryK  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

Originally Posted by DFSRN
Larry, here is the link for the silent version. I thought that is what you meant. Maybe there are other types I am not familiar with. I want you to know that the part where you put your music on, actually pulls forward, underneath is mesh and sound comes from the back and the front of the piano.

https://metroplexpiano.com/product/yamaha-silent-piano-yus5-sh/

I believe the TransAcoustic model includes the silent option but has other features, as provided by a transducer which is coupled to the soundboard.

Here is a link:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/mus...sacoustic/ta2/features.html#product-tabs

Yamaha P-515, Pianoteq Standard 6
Re: Why do people not favor uprights?? [Re: LarryK] #2836481
04/07/19 02:52 PM
04/07/19 02:52 PM
Germany
patH Offline

500 Post Club Member
patH  Offline

500 Post Club Member

Germany
Originally Posted by LarryK
[quote=patH]Thank you for this review of the YUS5 TA2! It is a really neat idea. I think it is for those people who, when asked digital or analog, reply, both!

Does the Blüthner e-volution system include a transducer mounted on the soundboard to use the sound board as a speaker, like on the TransAcoustics? I didn’t see that mentioned on their website but I might have missed it.

I don’t want to give up the silent practice capabilities of digital but I would like the richer, room filling sound of an acoustic piano. I wouldn’t want to inflict my neighbors with incessant practicing on an acoustic but I would like to play “finished” pieces on an acoustic. I think it’s cool to be able to practice a piece silently for a month, and then unveil it to one’s partner. It would be like magic!

Having the same capabilities in one instrument would be worth a lot to me. I know the price is high but the capabilities are also high, so I’m interested in pursuing it in the future.

I don't think the Blüthner e-volution uses the soundboard as a loudspeaker. From what I read on their website, they seem to use loudspeakers by Bose, which are usually good quality.
I only tried the e-volution briefly 3 years ago; and I don't think I tried the loudspeakers. But then, I already have a grand piano with silent system, so I'm not a potential customer.

The difference between an "ordinary" silent system like the Yamaha SH, the Kawai AnyTime, the Bechstein Vario, the PianoDisc QT, and all other systems in existence, and a piano-loudspeaking digital system like the TransAcoustic/e-volution system is that you can hear the digital sound only through a headphone plug. Which usually means: Through a headphone.
A workaround would be: Connect the digital system to your HiFi chain, and play the piano via the loudspeakers of your HiFi chain. The disadvantage is that the sound does not come from the piano. Unless the loudspeakers are positioned next to the piano, which they aren't in my apartment.
But if you really want the digital piano sound to come from the piano, you might want the TransAcoustic system by Yamaha, or the e-volution by Blüthner. Or some other system I don't know about.

The question is: Is it worth it?
Since the TransAcoustic system has been on the market for a few years now, I guess this means that some people think so. Why would Yamaha have a product available if they didn't sell it?

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
Re: Why do people not favor uprights?? [Re: outo] #2836492
04/07/19 03:19 PM
04/07/19 03:19 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Online content
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
Outo

Which is a real word in Finnish, but also what some of my friends fondly use as a nickname for me wink

What does the word mean in Finnish .,I mean if one translates the word to English ?

Re: Why do people not favor uprights?? [Re: outo] #2836494
04/07/19 03:36 PM
04/07/19 03:36 PM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Outo

That interested me so I had to look up the Finnish word "outo". Good nickname!

[Linked Image]
Re: Why do people not favor uprights?? [Re: Jitin] #2836527
04/07/19 05:32 PM
04/07/19 05:32 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rickster  Online Content

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by NobleHouse

This has nothing to do with this thread, but since it has drifted a bit OT anyway, I figured I'd share my childhood nickname. My mom said when I was a toddler I get my dad's wrist watch and hold it up to my ear and say "tick-tick, tick-tick, tick-tick". So, they started calling me "tick-tick; had an uncle that called me "Ricky-ticky-tam". Mom also said I tried to take it (the wrist watch) apart to see how it worked. She said I would also take all my toys apart to see how they worked.

So, I suppose it is no surprise I've taken a few pianos apart to see how they worked... smile

Now back to our regularly scheduled program thread...

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Why do people not favor uprights?? [Re: Rickster] #2836538
04/07/19 06:34 PM
04/07/19 06:34 PM
NobleHouse Offline
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by NobleHouse

This has nothing to do with this thread, but since it has drifted a bit OT anyway, I figured I'd share my childhood nickname. My mom said when I was a toddler I get my dad's wrist watch and hold it up to my ear and say "tick-tick, tick-tick, tick-tick". So, they started calling me "tick-tick; had an uncle that called me "Ricky-ticky-tam". Mom also said I tried to take it (the wrist watch) apart to see how it worked. She said I would also take all my toys apart to see how they worked.

So, I suppose it is no surprise I've taken a few pianos apart to see how they worked... smile

Rick

thumb

[Linked Image]
Re: Why do people not favor uprights?? [Re: Jitin] #2836601
04/07/19 11:56 PM
04/07/19 11:56 PM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland

What does the word mean in Finnish .,I mean if one translates the word to English ?

translation

Re: Why do people not favor uprights?? [Re: Jitin] #2836603
04/08/19 01:15 AM
04/08/19 01:15 AM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Online content
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
Fey -Is one translation .,My aunt called me fey when I was a kid
(What I think that means is that one is unusua)l "kind of like you came from the fairies" ?
Anyway my aunt was very sweet, but eccentric so perhaps it runs in
the family. She gave me her pre-war Seiler piano, so when I was nearly 12 , I received my first piano !

Re: Why do people not favor uprights?? [Re: Rickster] #2836620
04/08/19 02:29 AM
04/08/19 02:29 AM
Queensland, Australia
backto_study_piano Online content
1000 Post Club Member
backto_study_piano  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Queensland, Australia
...Mom also said I tried to take it (the wrist watch) apart to see how it worked. She said I would also take all my toys apart to see how they worked.

Rick

So I wasn't the only one blush.

My mother, now 89yo, reminds me of my pulling the kitchen clock apart. It was always 5-7 mins fast, and I'd adjusted the adjuster, fixed the time by the radio time beeps every morning, but next day it would be 5-7 mins fast. I just couldn't understand it.

I was about 7 or 8, always inquisitive, so pulled it apart. When the spring sprunged - I was no longer able to put it back together.

THEN - the truth came out. Mum would advance it every night when she wound it to be 5-7 mins fast - so she wouldn't be late ...

Alan

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
Re: Why do people not favor uprights?? [Re: backto_study_piano] #2836625
04/08/19 02:40 AM
04/08/19 02:40 AM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Online content
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
Originally Posted by backto_study_piano
...Mom also said I tried to take it (the wrist watch) apart to see how it worked. She said I would also take all my toys apart to see how they worked.

Rick

So I wasn't the only one blush.

My mother, now 89yo, reminds me of my pulling the kitchen clock apart. It was always 5-7 mins fast, and I'd adjusted the adjuster, fixed the time by the radio time beeps every morning, but next day it would be 5-7 mins fast. I just couldn't understand it.

I was about 7 or 8, always inquisitive, so pulled it apart. When the spring sprunged - I was no longer able to put it back together.

THEN - the truth came out. Mum would advance it every night when she wound it to be 5-7 mins fast - so she wouldn't be late ...

Alan

These memories, they are what make us ,as people.They are precious !!!

Re: Why do people not favor uprights?? [Re: Jitin] #2836637
04/08/19 04:10 AM
04/08/19 04:10 AM
Bulgaria
PhilipInChina Online content
3000 Post Club Member
PhilipInChina  Online Content
3000 Post Club Member

Bulgaria
I bought an aftermarket slow close for the fallboard of my upright when I was in China. Got it from the Shanghai music expo. I actually bought 3, one for me and one for each of my two teachers. (2 women, so I treted them exactly alike).

The strange thing is that there was no phone number, brand name or website on the packaging. So I was unable to get any more! There is a thread somewhere on the subject.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
Re: Why do people not favor uprights?? [Re: Jitin] #2836658
04/08/19 06:04 AM
04/08/19 06:04 AM
Connecticut/Cincinnati
C
computerpro3 Offline
500 Post Club Member
computerpro3  Offline
500 Post Club Member
C

Connecticut/Cincinnati
I have to wonder how many pianists claiming an upright is better than any digital (including hybrid digitals like the NV10 and Avantgrand) are actually advanced pianists with sufficient technique to be able to make that judgement? I don't bring this point up as some sort of repertoire competition, but rather that in my experience the limitations of certain instruments could only be found once my capability exceeded them. For example, when I was learning the third movement of Rachmaninoff's 2nd concerto, the beginning theme was just fine on a Kawai CA51 before I had practiced it enough to get up to the performance tempo I was shooting for. I hummed along thinking "this is great, my CA51 is good enough for any rep!" Actually, I had it wrong - I just wasn't as good as my CA51 was yet.

But months later once I had it up to performance tempo? The CA51 was tapped out - the theme was extremely difficult to play on an upright or entry level digital, where on a hybrid digital or acoustic grand it basically plays itself. Another area like this to me which is extremely piano dependent is the finale of the 2nd movement of Brahm's 2nd concerto (the descending waterfall-like figures). I need some key weight there and the crisp feel of a grand to play it up to tempo and quickly.

For 99% of cases, I can technically play most music on a basic grand, an upright, a digital hybrid, or an acoustic grand. It's not as if having one vs. another will prevent you from learning basically any repertoire out there. But if we are talking about moving beyond simply being able to technically play something, I can't play something quite as well on an upright as I can on a good acoustic grand or digital hybrid.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I understand if someone prefers an upright to a digital hybrid simply because it's an acoustic, but that's very different than saying an upright actually plays better than one.

I'll go the other way - there is no acoustic upright in the world that has a better action than a Novus Nv10 or Yamaha Avantgrand, because those instruments have real grand piano actions. Disagree with me? Great! But to be taken seriously, I hope you've both spent extensive time with a NV10 or Avantgrand, and have the technique to be credible.

Last edited by computerpro3; 04/08/19 06:10 AM.
Re: Why do people not favor uprights?? [Re: PhilipInChina] #2836801
04/08/19 11:54 AM
04/08/19 11:54 AM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Online content
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
Originally Posted by PhilipInChina
I bought an aftermarket slow close for the fallboard of my upright when I was in China. Got it from the Shanghai music expo. I actually bought 3, one for me and one for each of my two teachers. (2 women, so I treted them exactly alike).

The strange thing is that there was no phone number, brand name or website on the packaging. So I was unable to get any more! There is a thread somewhere on the subject.

Was it just a mechanism that one fitted on the fallboard or was it a whole new fallboard. I am just thinking in case the name of the piano
was Bechstein, you would end up with a no name piano ?

Re: Why do people not favor uprights?? [Re: computerpro3] #2836871
04/08/19 03:11 PM
04/08/19 03:11 PM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
BDB  Offline
B

Oakland
Originally Posted by computerpro3
I have to wonder how many pianists claiming an upright is better than any digital (including hybrid digitals like the NV10 and Avantgrand) are actually advanced pianists with sufficient technique to be able to make that judgement? I don't bring this point up as some sort of repertoire competition, but rather that in my experience the limitations of certain instruments could only be found once my capability exceeded them. For example, when I was learning the third movement of Rachmaninoff's 2nd concerto, the beginning theme was just fine on a Kawai CA51 before I had practiced it enough to get up to the performance tempo I was shooting for. I hummed along thinking "this is great, my CA51 is good enough for any rep!" Actually, I had it wrong - I just wasn't as good as my CA51 was yet.

But months later once I had it up to performance tempo? The CA51 was tapped out - the theme was extremely difficult to play on an upright or entry level digital, where on a hybrid digital or acoustic grand it basically plays itself. Another area like this to me which is extremely piano dependent is the finale of the 2nd movement of Brahm's 2nd concerto (the descending waterfall-like figures). I need some key weight there and the crisp feel of a grand to play it up to tempo and quickly.

For 99% of cases, I can technically play most music on a basic grand, an upright, a digital hybrid, or an acoustic grand. It's not as if having one vs. another will prevent you from learning basically any repertoire out there. But if we are talking about moving beyond simply being able to technically play something, I can't play something quite as well on an upright as I can on a good acoustic grand or digital hybrid.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I understand if someone prefers an upright to a digital hybrid simply because it's an acoustic, but that's very different than saying an upright actually plays better than one.

I'll go the other way - there is no acoustic upright in the world that has a better action than a Novus Nv10 or Yamaha Avantgrand, because those instruments have real grand piano actions. Disagree with me? Great! But to be taken seriously, I hope you've both spent extensive time with a NV10 or Avantgrand, and have the technique to be credible.

I doubt that most people comparing uprights with digitals really care that much about the action. I also think that the comparison of the average upright with top-of-the-line digitals is not a fair comparison. There are upright actions that play as well or better than the best grand action, but they are far rarer than digitals with hybrid actions.

Semipro Tech
Re: Why do people not favor uprights?? [Re: computerpro3] #2836889
04/08/19 04:10 PM
04/08/19 04:10 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Online content
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
Originally Posted by computerpro3

Great that you learnt those concertos ! How did the 1st and last movements go? Enjoy your piano !

Re: Why do people not favor uprights?? [Re: computerpro3] #2836956
04/08/19 07:38 PM
04/08/19 07:38 PM
Virginia
D
DFSRN Offline
500 Post Club Member
DFSRN  Offline
500 Post Club Member
D

Virginia
Computerpro3, I wish I could say my YUS 5 can't keep up with me. I wish I was that good. I bet most people who play do not fall into your category. I am too much a novice to worry about action, and truthfully probably never get to that point. I just wanted a nice acoustic. I admire people who play well, I realize how much work went into it.

Deb
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
Re: Why do people not favor uprights?? [Re: Jitin] #2836980
04/08/19 09:34 PM
04/08/19 09:34 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Online content
Rickster  Online Content

Georgia, USA
Computerpro3, I wish I could say my YUS 5 can't keep up with me. I wish I was that good. I bet most people who play do not fall into your category. I am too much a novice to worry about action, and truthfully probably never get to that point. I just wanted a nice acoustic. I admire people who play well, I realize how much work went into it.

Same here...

On occasion someone will complement me on my piano playing. But I know they are most likely just being polite, or they haven't heard anyone who plays very well. But I still enjoy my playing and try to improve and develop my meager piano playing skills beyond what they are. Of course, my grandchildren think I can actually play a piano and it makes them smile, which makes me smile. smile

I still think I can play well enough to appreciate a nice piano, be it a digital, upright or grand. I played my Yamaha C7 and my Baldwin R a while this afternoon and enjoyed it much. For a while, I was in a world of my own where I could actually play a piano, until reality set in once again... smile

And, as you say, DFSRN, I do admire and appreciate those who can play very well.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Why do people not favor uprights?? [Re: Rickster] #2836992
04/08/19 10:17 PM
04/08/19 10:17 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Online content
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver

Same here...

On occasion someone will complement me on my piano playing. But I know they are most likely just being polite, or they haven't heard anyone who plays very well. But I still enjoy my playing and try to improve and develop my meager piano playing skills beyond what they are. Of course, my grandchildren think I can actually play a piano and it makes them smile, which makes me smile. smile

I still think I can play well enough to appreciate a nice piano, be it a digital, upright or grand. I played my Yamaha C7 and my Baldwin R a while this afternoon and enjoyed it much. For a while, I was in a world of my own where I could actually play a piano, until reality set in once again... smile

And, as you say, DFSRN, I do admire and appreciate those who can play very well.

Rick

Yes but I only praise people after I have heard them play !

Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to connect Ravenscroft to Kawai MP10
by brettr. 07/22/19 11:38 PM
Why doesn't Pianoteq6 sound good for me - help?
by scotiwis. 07/22/19 11:24 PM
New Hammers Dead or Alive Test Suggestions
by Chernobieff Piano. 07/22/19 10:54 PM
Portland piano store shopping ?
by Coda9. 07/22/19 08:58 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,131
Posts2,850,810
Members93,954
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission