2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 9 invisible), 1,443 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 25 of 45 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 44 45
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I'm sticking with my PX-360

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Cancel that last post... THIS:
Go to 14:10 minutes for the High Res for the internal demo. If this is so, why is the first I have learned of it Casio? I don't think PX-360 or 560 already has it. Chuck turns it on and suddenly he can play much softer than before.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rintincop
High Resolution MIDI Velocity and Release velocity: 16,384 levels.

It's only 16256 levels. wink

Yamaha P-515
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
16,256 is a lot of velocity levels. How capable is the new software sensor/filters/sound engine of managing the response capability?

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
With all respect I believe Chuck may have misunderstood this - to my understanding the internal velocity resolution should not be affected by the midi protocol used when communicating with external devices.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Why not? He demonstrates the difference.

Last edited by rintincop; 04/05/19 07:28 PM.
P
P
Here's a quote from Mike Martin (of Casio) on another forum(musicplayer) regarding this:

As was correctly stated the high resolution MIDI on/off switch as found on all Casio products has no effect on the internal sound. Only what is transmitted via the MIDI output.

If Chuck was changing the velocity curve the video this is one area that is different than previous models. There are 5 total curves - I believe previous models only had 3. So switching to a harder curve would give the player substantially more control over playing softly.

www.PianoManChuck.com
Authorized Reseller of Casio, Dexibell, iLoud, Kurzweil, Nord, PreSonus, Viscount and more...
PianoManChuck on Youtube
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
In the video it sounded like you said that you believed that enabling high resolution midi would somehow give you more control over the actual sound and dynamics which shouldn’t be the case.
If I misunderstood you I’m sorry but it seems that other people did as well.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
At 14:10 Piano Man Chuck says
Quote:
"Now one of the most interesting things I've found is High Resolution Midi; now you've heard me play this (plays a passage) I'm playing as soft as I can, now I'm gonna turn on High Resolution Midi.. hold the Function Button down and this key (plays same passage but it now ranges from much softer to loud) Now let me explain in regular MIDI every key is controlled with, when you press a key there's 128 different parameters to indicate where that key is. When you activate High Resolution Midi all of sudden that jumps to 16,384... so imagine the accuracy, that's why I'm able to play so much softer and everything in between. And at first I thought 128 is more than ample, 16,384, that's ridiculous. Well guess what it's not. It really works! It really works! And I'm so impressed with that."

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
A
A
Originally Posted by arc7urus
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
Originally Posted by FlexHank
Congratulations to Casio for the marketing.

+1

Casio has already demonstrated this ability when marketing the "hybrid" Celviano GP digital pianos...

The GP series made a lot of noise, but not a lot of buyers? They are heavily discounted here in the UK. I think the problem is that Casio isn't seen as a premium piano. They should stick to what they know best, entry level and mid range.

I didn't think much of the action on the S1000, and I own a CDP 130. Maybe there are benefits more a longer play like more sensitivity etc, but just going on how it feels I wasn't a fan.

It might will be a good entry level piano, but I think the fact that it is the smallest slab isn't going to so anyone favours as there is only so much benefit to having a smaller slab. Most people with slabs buy them and keep them in one place, and very rarely move/travel with them. Like with phones and laptops, going too small just means losing out on speaker size and other functions.

Last edited by ahumdrumoflife; 04/05/19 09:22 PM.
P
P
Originally Posted by Morten Olsson
In the video it sounded like you said that you believed that enabling high resolution midi would somehow give you more control over the actual sound and dynamics which shouldn’t be the case.

I highly recommend that you actually try it and see for yourself. Nothing can be more convincing than seeing it with your own eyes (or playing it with your own fingers in this case).

www.PianoManChuck.com
Authorized Reseller of Casio, Dexibell, iLoud, Kurzweil, Nord, PreSonus, Viscount and more...
PianoManChuck on Youtube
Originally Posted by PianoManChuck

I highly recommend that you actually try it and see for yourself. Nothing can be more convincing than seeing it with your own eyes (or playing it with your own fingers in this case).

Lose credibility when you don’t admit to your mistakes, Chuck.

.... Jeff ▫️ Yamaha P515 ▫️ Roll Tide
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M

Mike from Casio explicitly said that there is no correlation between midi velocity and internal sounds. Whether you are hearing / feeling what you expected or if you have discovered a weird bug in your unit it remains true that the midi resolution should not have any influence on the internal sound engine. I’m not trying to stir [censored] up - but I find it less than ideal if the idea spreads that this instrument has some off-by-default “much better response mode” which by all accounts it does not.
This is not aimed at you Chuck - you seem to me like a genuinely nice and sweet person and I have enjoyed many of your videos.

Cheers

F
F
It is a bit the problem of the "reviews" on YouTube, in fact most reviews are just at best demo's but often pure marketing material (to stimulate buying). You hear often "this keyboard feels really great", but what does this mean? Great compared to what? And when you ask, you get answers like "I never compare to other brands" or "everyone has a different preference, so try yourself". All fine, but then they should not call it a review, just a demo of the capabilities.

I hope more people will report back unbiased feedback on how it really feels to play on these keyboards, especially compared to other keyboards, and explain why. Sure, it is always an opinion of someone, but then at least you get a real review.

Last edited by FlexHank; 04/06/19 06:24 AM.

Mike from Casio explicitly said that there is no correlation between midi velocity and internal sounds.

That's true of all digital pianos, to the best of my knowledge. When you press a key on the keyboard, the sound that comes out of the speakers is generated by the internal sound engine of the piano. It generates MIDI events, but it's not actually using those events internally.

Chris

Yamaha P-515, Yamaha Reface CP.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FlexHank
It is a bit the problem of the "reviews" on YouTube, in fact most reviews are just at best demo's but often pure marketing material (to stimulate buying).

Of course, they are made by people who sell these things, not by people who buy them. Most of those people do not actually sell or maintain real instruments (as in real acoustic pianos) and that of course skews the picture.

Also it's completely understandable why many pianists have a bad impression about digital pianos, when all they get to hear is Casio getting praised like nothing else.

We should keep acoustic and digital pianos up to the same standard.

Yamaha P-515
A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Cheshire Chris
That's true of all digital pianos, to the best of my knowledge. When you press a key on the keyboard, the sound that comes out of the speakers is generated by the internal sound engine of the piano. It generates MIDI events, but it's not actually using those events internally.

I think this is something that can vary. Yamaha Motif/Montage series boards appear to use MIDI to communicate between their keys and their sound generators. This is why the front panel Transpose or Octave Shift functions will re-locate split points to different physical locations. It is performing the transposition/octave shift by manipulating which MIDI Note On/Off events are being sent from the keys to the sound engine. So when the board is transposed down a semitone, a split point at an E will move to an F key (now playing the E pitch), because what's happening is not any kind of manipulation of pitch settings, but rather the F key is now generating the MIDI events of what would normally be an E. (There are ways to prevent this split relocation from happening, but that doesn't negate the fact that the front panel function transpose function shifts what notes the internal engine sounds by manipulating the MIDI stream.)

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Is it just the Yamaha Montage and Motif series? Or is it more common?

A
A
I've just had another go in the shop today.

I have to keep reminding myself it is an entry level DP. It seems to be on par with the other low end actions.I actually prefer my CDP 130 action, but maybe that is familiarity. It has that undeniable feeling you get when you play a budget DP.

Saying that, I am not a big fan of the FP30 either, but the FP90 is darn nice and I feel like a DP with a PHA 50 action will be my first upgrade.

I had hoped the S100 may've been a budget upgrade for me, but it is 100% not worth it as an upgrade.

I honestly think a lot of people here will be disappointed once they actually get their hands on it, and I am Casio fan.

Last edited by ahumdrumoflife; 04/06/19 01:58 PM.
F
F
Originally Posted by ahumdrumoflife
I've just had another go in the shop today.

I have to keep reminding myself it is an entry level DP. It seems to be on par with the other low end actions.I actually prefer my CDP 130 action, but maybe that is familiarity. It has that undeniable feeling you get when you play a budget DP.

Saying that, I am not a big fan of the FP30 either, but the FP90 is darn nice and I feel like a DP with a PHA 50 action will be my first upgrade.

I had hoped the S100 may've been a budget upgrade for me, but it is 100% not worth it as an upgrade.

I honestly think a lot of people here will be disappointed once they actually get their hands on it, and I am Casio fan.

Thanks for your feedback, this is appreciated. I am not going to wait for this "brand new action" of Casio anymore. By the way, I also like the PHA50 action, just a shame Roland is asking a lot for it.

Page 25 of 45 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission