2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tudor33sud
Also, one more thing to note related to software 1.04, I really seem to enjoy the new setting for Haptic Feedback very large. Previously I rarely felt the haptic feedback while playing, however with very large setting it seems better for me. You should try it as well.

Roland should have named the strongest haptic feedback setting "SuperNatural". wink

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Also, one more thing to note related to software 1.04, I really seem to enjoy the new setting for Haptic Feedback very large. Previously I rarely felt the haptic feedback while playing, however with very large setting it seems better for me. You should try it as well.

Roland should have named the strongest haptic feedback setting "SuperNatural". wink

James
x

haha :)) nice one!

www.youtube.com/channel/UC073i6RnxK4NcnoFp1jYh7Q The place where I ocasionally post my amateur recordings smile
Criticism is welcomed since it helps improving and going forward!

Yamaha P-105 -> Roland HP-605 -> Roland LX708
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P

Sorry, bro, but I got 706 model. So no haptic feedback smile

If you wonder what may happen if you start learning piano as an adult (at the age of 33, for example) - subscribe my channel and let's find this out together:)
YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

R
R
Just a suggestion for the OP with his resonant C#4 which may help (I have a similar thing on the DP603. Instead of applying your tone settings to one of the stored defaults (if that is what you are doing) start by loading the custom Home tuning or one of the other custom tunings from the Piano Designer app because the individual note tuning, volume and character have all been carefully tailored to your speaker system.

Then do your overall sound edits like lid, cabinet resonance, soundboard etc and finally ambience and brilliance to taste for your room. That worked really well for me!

Rob Morris, Nantwich, England
Cavendish Chatsworth, Roland FP60. Mainly jazz, some blues.
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Robhatherton
Just a suggestion for the OP with his resonant C#4 which may help (I have a similar thing on the DP603. Instead of applying your tone settings to one of the stored defaults (if that is what you are doing) start by loading the custom Home tuning or one of the other custom tunings from the Piano Designer app because the individual note tuning, volume and character have all been carefully tailored to your speaker system.

Then do your overall sound edits like lid, cabinet resonance, soundboard etc and finally ambience and brilliance to taste for your room. That worked really well for me!

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, as far as I know, for Roland LX700 series, there's no custom piano tone frown So I guess it would be a bad thing to try sounds designed for the previous sound engine. Apart from the C#4, I didn't change note character of any of the notes, so I could definitely just live with it. However, I won't mind if Roland reads your post and release a few tunings for Roland LX700 series laugh It would be nice to try them. Enjoy your DP603, since I really enjoyed as well my previous HP605.

www.youtube.com/channel/UC073i6RnxK4NcnoFp1jYh7Q The place where I ocasionally post my amateur recordings smile

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Hello everyone,

I'd like to open a thread for owners of new Roland LX700 series pianos. I think this forum might be a nice starting point for people testing out various settings to get the perfect sound of Roland digital pianos.

Owning a HP605 before, I had the feeling that the default settings were just fine at the previous generation. However, on my LX708 I liked more to tweak the sound to get the most "accurate" sound to my ears. I especially like European Grand V2 ( it seems to have a wider dynamic range ) and I also played with the ambience settings. With the default settings, my personal oppinion is that the sounds tend to get blended in too much, and right hand seems not to have enough power to really sing along with the left hand.

I will share here my "perfect" configuration until now with the things I've changed apart from default settings.

• recommended volume level: 41
  • piano type: European V2
  • ambience: Lounge
  • ambience depth: 8
  • touch sensivity: 49
  • lid: 5
  • duplex scale: +4
  • hammer sound: +1
  • soundboard: 5
  • tone character:C4# character changed to +2 from 0 ( I find the default C4# character to sound bad on speakers )

I find this setting to sound 90% similar to the tone of a concert Steinway from a video by Yann Tiersen, which I especially like. I'm waiting for other interesting configurations to try them out from other users smile

PS: link to the video mentioned above for you to make a comparison https://youtu.be/1LluM75bYf0?t=374

Why didn't you mention key-off resonance. I had piano lesson on acoustic upright today and set key-off resonance at 10 when came home, but then reduced it to 8. 10 creates too much feeling than as if on acoustic piano dampers do no work properly.

If you wonder what may happen if you start learning piano as an adult (at the age of 33, for example) - subscribe my channel and let's find this out together:)
YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

R
R
Hi Tudor

Yes, after your last post I looked at the app and there is only the initial setup which has all the values set to 0 or off: it must sound awful to start!

I expect they are taking their time creating custom tunings as they have done for the others. You could email the Roland support team and ask?

Rob Morris, Nantwich, England
Cavendish Chatsworth, Roland FP60. Mainly jazz, some blues.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I wonder what's the difference between settings "Lid", :Brilliance" and "Character". All of the make sound brighter when increased.

YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoStartsAt33
I wonder what's the difference between settings "Lid", :Brilliance" and "Character". All of the make sound brighter when increased.

I wonder if that is what raising the lid on an acoustical grand piano does? Make it sound brighter? Anyone know? (I have zero acoustical piano experience, whether grand or upright.)

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

I wonder if that is what raising the lid on an acoustical grand piano does? Make it sound brighter? Anyone know? (I have zero acoustical piano experience, whether grand or upright.)

Well, I had baby-grand. As I remember, opening the lid just removed some "boxy sound" effect and also made sound louder. Well, I can be called "brighter" sound, I guess.

YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

T
OP Offline
T

I think mostly brilliance and lid resemble, however tone character on individual notes I find it really different in a sense that you could really change the overall sound of the piano ( the attack of the note, how harsh / how equal it sounds ) so a little bit different from them.

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Well, I had baby-grand. As I remember, opening the lid just removed some "boxy sound" effect and also made sound louder. Well, I can be called "brighter" sound, I guess.

I'm curious, could you please share your personal oppinion related to having a baby grand or an lx 708? I never had a chance of having even a baby grand in my house, and I was really hoping for one until getting my LX708. Since you had the experience, would you choose a baby grand or an lx 708?

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G

Did they have this setting prior to the update? I recall there being a heightened level for haptic feedback, but perhaps there are now more? Moreover, I can't seem to distinguish between EG1 and EG2. They sound too much alike for there to be any significant difference.

Last edited by Grandman; 04/05/19 06:16 PM.
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Grandman

Did they have this setting prior to the update? I recall there being a heightened level for haptic feedback, but perhaps there are now more? Moreover, I can't seem to distinguish between EG1 and EG2. They sound too much alike for there to be any significant difference.

No, this is a new level added in 1.04.

EG2 > EG1 in my oppinion and the sound seems to me the more noticeable while playing through speakers. I find that the character is much more natural, and to be more widely opened in sound from the EG1 which sounds muffled and kinda boring.. This is my way of describing it, and during my research even in youtube videos many of the people out there are preferring european 2 instead of 1.

Funny thing though, it's rarely that you find someone to like the american grand.. for me it's just not playable or I don t know, something seems odd to me about the american grand(1 or 2) that I can't find a right piece to fit it smile

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P

I'm curious, could you please share your personal oppinion related to having a baby grand or an lx 708? I never had a chance of having even a baby grand in my house, and I was really hoping for one until getting my LX708. Since you had the experience, would you choose a baby grand or an lx 708?

I had old soviet baby-grand. Bought it for 1,200$. The price was too high, but I wanted so much to have "real grand".
Well, I think that my LX 706 sounds better when headphones are used. Through speakers it's not that good. But in all other thing - smooth new beatiful keys with pleasant touch etc. - it beats any old baby-grand. If course, I'd prefer new baby-grand of famous brand, but it costs 30 000$. As for all that 500 -1000$ garbage: no, thanks, I'd stay with my digital.
I'm of those who'd prefer driving digital Bugatti Veyron in Need For Speed computer game than grandma's rusty 40-years old Ford in real life.

YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

R
R
[... ...
Well, I think that my LX 706 sounds better when headphones are used. Through speakers it's not that good. But in all other thing - smooth new beautiful keys with pleasant touch etc. - it beats any old baby-grand. ...

Sort of good to hear the same experience as me and my LX 705. The sound on headphones is really good. But through speakers not so good (although yet to go above 40% level if that makes a difference). And again, everything else is just flat-out excellent.

I will get around to tweaking piano settings later, but would likely mess up the wonderful headphone sound if I could achieve a good speaker output. Oh well.. Maybe Roland will address this for us if possible in settings.

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by RichardHK
[... ...
Well, I think that my LX 706 sounds better when headphones are used. Through speakers it's not that good. But in all other thing - smooth new beautiful keys with pleasant touch etc. - it beats any old baby-grand. ...

Sort of good to hear the same experience as me and my LX 705. The sound on headphones is really good. But through speakers not so good (although yet to go above 40% level if that makes a difference). And again, everything else is just flat-out excellent.

I will get around to tweaking piano settings later, but would likely mess up the wonderful headphone sound if I could achieve a good speaker output. Oh well.. Maybe Roland will address this for us if possible in settings.

I strongly suggest you try the soundboard 5 and see how it goes. I really had issues with soundboard 1 like the sound was way too muffled and notes blending in too much. Headphones sound still good for me considering the changes as well. smile

R
R
Originally Posted by RichardHK

I strongly suggest you try the soundboard 5 and see how it goes. I really had issues with soundboard 1 like the sound was way too muffled and notes blending in too much. Headphones sound still good for me considering the changes as well. smile

Thanks, yes. I will try this along with your other suggested settings soon.

Piano stands on a solid tiled floor, in a Hong Kong concrete flat!! So that would not help the acoustics and overall sound. Perhaps I should also try a carpet underneath the piano. smile

Last edited by RichardHK; 04/11/19 12:22 PM. Reason: Typo...
M
mcb Offline
M
Hello everyone,

Noticed that there's a Driver update: Ver.1.05 [May 2019]. Looks like adding new functions to LX705 only.

Has anyone seen the new review of the LX708 posted by Rudi of bettermusic.com.au a few days ago? I play right-hand melody arrangements of contemporary pop, Disney (popular request of my kids for them to belt along to) and West End/Broadway musicals plus jazz and classical. Took some ideas of the instrument pairings that Rudi highlighted in his new video.

Hope this brings some joy! I certainly enjoyed Rudi's infectious enthusiasm and musicality.

BTW, this isn't intended to start a discussion on the relative (de)merits of the LX sounds or comparison to other DPs. YMMV and all that.

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by mcb
Hello everyone,

Noticed that there's a Driver update: Ver.1.05 [May 2019]. Looks like adding new functions to LX705 only.

Has anyone seen the new review of the LX708 posted by Rudi of bettermusic.com.au a few days ago? I play right-hand melody arrangements of contemporary pop, Disney (popular request of my kids for them to belt along to) and West End/Broadway musicals plus jazz and classical. Took some ideas of the instrument pairings that Rudi highlighted in his new video.

Hope this brings some joy! I certainly enjoyed Rudi's infectious enthusiasm and musicality.

BTW, this isn't intended to start a discussion on the relative (de)merits of the LX sounds or comparison to other DPs. YMMV and all that.

Thank you very much for reffering to this video! I personally love Rudi's reviews of pianos, he makes them all sound beautiful! Also I'm curious how is he recording the sound, since it seems to me it's probably better than recording it directly to USB with built-in recorder. Is there any chance someone could upload the same thing recorded via usb and via output for a comparison?

And BTW, I have a big curiosity. Does anyone actuall use American Grand at all in the new LX series? I find it to sound really bad, and I'm bumping the keys to hear the treble. It always seem to be covered by the bass, and just doesn't sound right. I'm curious if someone's actually enjoying it in any way. Thanks! smile

M
mcb Offline
M
Yes, I do use both American Grands for jazz pieces using one of the My Stage options. Without the My Stage options, the American Grands sound muffled to me until I adjust Ambience depth to 7 and Brilliance to between 6 and 8.

For music that my kids want to sing along to, I usually start off by layering one of the American Grands with another tone of their choice. They like trying out the different sounds on their own. They have so much fun that I don't want to detract from their enjoyment. So, even if their chosen combinations sound 'odd', I'll still accompany their singing. It is fast becoming another way we spend time together - it is lovely as they now ask me to play instead of heading to their playstation or the TV.

Apart from my kids' requests, the focus is on regaining technique as my fingers can't do what my brains says they could in the past! grin Every moment I get to sit down at the piano is invested in regaining technique. There is so much music that I am itching to play again! Once I'm happier with my technique - I suspect my focus will shift to tinkering with the Piano Designer options ....

Best regards and happy playing to all!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission