2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
40 members (Dr Bekken, Bentsch, David Boyce, DPAfficionado, Almar, Eric399, barbaram, Doug M., Eichhorn, Boboulus, 10 invisible), 481 guests, and 525 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: What is your BIGGEST annoying roadblock?
KevinM #2835795 04/05/19 03:09 PM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KevinM
I can do c4 to e5 in the way you describe to g5. I have to do it in two different pieces and I usually manage it when needed but it always feels unreliable. That I can’t control when I will fail.

OK, I may live in a bubble, but I assumed most adults could do like you and do C4-E5. I know there are some smaller adults, and kids of course (my 11 year old can play an octave just barely right now) and I knew my hands were a little larger, but I never considered them freakishly big or anything.

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, R. Schumann Fantasy Dance, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Chrispy #2835797 04/05/19 03:15 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chrispy
I knew my hands were a little larger, but I never considered them freakishly big or anything.

Here's someone who can do C4-G5 in the way you described. Check out the comments smile Post your handspan pic to Reddit and half will hate on you and the other half will pay you homage laugh

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Zach Evans #2835799 04/05/19 03:18 PM
My biggest roadblock is my refusal to accept that I'm out of sequence. I've been playing since since a bit before Christmas. I have a beautiful Kawai E8. I can play Imagine almost perfectly. I can play the left hand of Riders On The Storm, and the right hand to some degree, but impossible to do them together; same with Linus and Lucy (the verse). I know I should be focusing on form, then reading music; but I'm just having a good time playing bits of things that make me happy. I must get back to reading music. Then I can progress. Hand independence seems like it won't be possible right now, although I'm making small progress. When I get real with my goals, I'll improve more. I've been saying I'll get lessons soon for 4 months now. . . .

He not busy being born is busy dying.
Suni #2835831 04/05/19 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Suni
For me, it has to rhythm and tempo.

I too have issues with rhythm and tempo. To get a piece up to performance level, means that I have to focus my efforts using a metronome. Playing a piece at the tempo noted often means that I have to take a closer look at my fingering.

I'm on travel a lot this year and I hope to get at least five piece up to performance level when I resume piano lessons possibly in July or August.

Great discussion topic. Thank you!

Dona Nobis Pacem
Yamaha DGX 660 (portable 88)
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Chrispy #2835906 04/05/19 08:21 PM
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
I can do c4 to e5 in the way you describe to g5. I have to do it in two different pieces and I usually manage it when needed but it always feels unreliable. That I can’t control when I will fail.

OK, I may live in a bubble, but I assumed most adults could do like you and do C4-E5. I know there are some smaller adults, and kids of course (my 11 year old can play an octave just barely right now) and I knew my hands were a little larger, but I never considered them freakishly big or anything.

Yes, maybe you do live in a bubble smile
Often normal sized females cannot reach more than a 9th and many only can do octaves with maximum strech or with discomfort. People like you are obviously the reason why the piano keyboard is slightly too large for people like me wink

Maybe I'll try to get a photo later of how my hand looks when I play that chord...

Zach Evans #2835911 04/05/19 08:53 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
As a listener, the performer's hand span is one of the last things to move me.

Last edited by malkin; 04/05/19 08:53 PM.

Learner
Zach Evans #2835912 04/05/19 09:14 PM
Listening to yourself and acknowledging your areas you need to focus on and practice harder on are paramount in my opinion. Just 10 minutes of that can make a world of difference.

I was practicing a Chopin piece last night and heard one area I was pedaling a little late on that I hadn’t caught in all of my earlier practice sessions. It took awhile to pedal at the right moment consistently to get it ingrained but I had to LISTEN to myself very carefully to catch that.

Recording yourself often helps as well.

TH
[Linked Image]
malkin #2835915 04/05/19 09:21 PM
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by malkin

And so should it be...it does however work behind the scenes and determine how and what the performer plays...

outo #2835916 04/05/19 09:34 PM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by outo

Often normal sized females cannot reach more than a 9th and many only can do octaves with maximum strech or with discomfort.

I sometimes wonder whether female composer-pianists write for gigantic hands. Has anybody played Clara Schumann, Fanny Mendelssohn, Amy Beach et al and found unreasonable demands on hand size? The only female composer whose music I've played much of is Cécile Chaminade, and none of what I've played requires more than an octave stretch. This is her best-known piece, and used to be very popular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc9_XaIWdbA

Incidentally, the movie composer-pianist Debbie Wiseman has brought out an attractive volume of her music for solo piano (and plays it all herself in her CD recording) which requires no more than an octave stretch, and most of the pieces are easy, and no more than intermediate in difficulty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWtLuxNCPoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t6nFh5xstw

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Zach Evans #2835922 04/05/19 10:41 PM
F
F
Memorization is my biggest problem. Finger unevenness is close behind. 5-4 trills give me fits, 3-4 trills do too. And same hand double trills, they're beyond my current ability.

Those are my worst troubles but realistically most beginners suffer from a plethora of "just a little off not quite right" bugaboos. While any one flaw may not rise to the level of a major problem, taken together they give a piece an unpolished feel. And that's where I am right now, struggling to bring it all together and having it sound "right."

Just do it. -- Nike
outo #2835925 04/05/19 10:47 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

And so should it be...it does however work behind the scenes and determine how and what the performer plays...

Perhaps, or perhaps it comes down to the performer's confidence more than competence.

As for me, my playing is pretty far from moving someone ever, unless you count the cat sitting on my foot or the pedals that I need to move.

Learner
malkin #2835935 04/06/19 12:07 AM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

My hand span certainly hasn't magically made me a great player laugh

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, R. Schumann Fantasy Dance, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
bennevis #2835938 04/06/19 12:39 AM
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by bennevis

Often normal sized females cannot reach more than a 9th and many only can do octaves with maximum strech or with discomfort.

I sometimes wonder whether female composer-pianists write for gigantic hands. Has anybody played Clara Schumann, Fanny Mendelssohn, Amy Beach et al and found unreasonable demands on hand size? The only female composer whose music I've played much of is Cécile Chaminade, and none of what I've played requires more than an octave stretch.

I have noticed this as well... keyboards were slightly smaller in the 19th century but maybe they also had more than average size hands. Or maybe they just rolled everything...

Btw. Finding suitable easy music for small hands is not difficult. It gets frustrating when one gets more advanced and the music would otherwise be within your scope, but getting around the problems with span is added to the complexity or there are a few spots that you cannot play properly. Children usually grow while they advance, but as an adult you cannot hope for a growth spurt to magically happen after years of piano study.

malkin #2835940 04/06/19 12:51 AM
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O

Perhaps, or perhaps it comes down to the performer's confidence more than competence.

The good pianists with small hands tend to be quite competent because they need to work smart to solve problems. And large hands alone do not make one any good. However those with larger hands do not seem to realize how much easier it is for them in some aspects and how much time they can save in learning new pieces. Injury also is a risk, right now my wrist burns because I played around with that damn chord...

Last edited by outo; 04/06/19 01:36 AM.
Zach Evans #2836140 04/06/19 01:37 PM
M
M
Fast broken octaves passages definitely.. I have yet to figure out a good technique to play them without tension.

Zach Evans #2836196 04/06/19 05:07 PM
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
All of the above. laugh

No, seriously, I fix one thing and something else crops up. Eventually they'll all come together, but my goodness it can be frustrating.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Zach Evans #2836246 04/06/19 08:42 PM
M
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
M
1) can’t seem to memorize. At all. 😠
2) tension 😡😡

MH1963

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A

[Linked Image]
Zach Evans #2836444 04/07/19 12:19 PM
Tensons a tough one for a lot of people. It can be anywhere, back, shoulders, arms, hands. I still have a difficult time allowing my hands to 'breath' during multiple octaves.

TH
[Linked Image]
bennevis #2836523 04/07/19 04:23 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by bennevis
I sometimes wonder whether female composer-pianists write for gigantic hands. Has anybody played Clara Schumann, Fanny Mendelssohn,

Fanny Mendelssohn has lots and lots of big chords Ben !

Notturno (bar 53) has a 10th - I took it with the left hand.

Il Salterello has lots and lots of 9th's in !

I was playing through this study as well, it has a very large stretch, think it was a 10th in it but I was struggling.

This one again, has 10ths in

I am a bit obsessed but hope you enjoyed.

smile

Zach Evans #2836559 04/07/19 07:16 PM
T
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
T
Practiced a piece for many hours. You check the sheet and still find little things that you've done wrong either the wrong note or missed a few beats...

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bach chorales for piano
by marklings - 01/19/21 04:32 AM
Introductions to the great composers
by Animisha - 01/19/21 02:43 AM
NAMM 2021 Keyboards & Digital Pianos
by Osho - 01/18/21 08:57 PM
Advice on Grey Market Yamahas - Melbourne, Vic
by Tim_Au - 01/18/21 08:08 PM
Faulty Anytime in Kawai GE-30 AT
by Lempriere - 01/18/21 07:39 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,374
Posts3,048,787
Members100,115
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission