2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, FredrikNilsen, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,147 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
M
M
Originally Posted by TomLC
I agree with JoBert. If they sold a one page model, they could price it at less than a iPad Pro. Which could increase sales. The accessories are also overpriced compared to the competition. It is elegant though with the leather cover. shocked

In this case, people would pay a little more for an iPad Pro 12.9", because it is much better.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MarioPf
I can think two reasons to have a two-page tablet. First, for some people who have played for decades looking for two or more pages in sequence it may feel odd to look always for the same "page" up <-> down. Something like GVIDO may give the feeling of reading a paper book. Second, with a two-page display we can anticipate the next page. These are two reasons that only a small number of people can find value, but I think a product like GVIDO is designed precisely for a very narrow market niche and with certain special needs.

Maybe there is a third and fundamental reason for having two pages: style, especially if it is a very expensive product.

Originally Posted by MarioPf
Originally Posted by TomLC
I agree with JoBert. If they sold a one page model, they could price it at less than a iPad Pro. Which could increase sales. The accessories are also overpriced compared to the competition. It is elegant though with the leather cover. shocked

In this case, people would pay a little more for an iPad Pro 12.9", because it is much better.

Definitely this would be reasonable as a lower cost alternative.

Personally, I would still like to have two pages at a time as that falls into the category, of "if one can afford it, it still seems better to me" along the lines you mentioned also. That said, there is a thread on ABF going on at this moment also about GVIDO and I just learned that Forscore does in fact support two iPad Pros using a helper app - and the latter might even be cheaper if one is willing to buy open-box iPad Pros. The price difference is a few hundred dollars, but, not to sound elitist, but such a small difference doesn't matter as much to me as the ability to use almost standard software (Forscore vs. some proprietary software on GVIDO), and that annotations work better under Forscore. Any difference in usability could be solved as I'm quite certain I could have a "hinge" 3D-printed for me which could lock the two iPad Pros together. That seems like it would be a win-win over a GVIDO to me.

Better though is relative. Some aspect of better is probably that some people think it might be more versatile since one could do other iPad-ish things with a dual iPad Pro solution. But as a seeker of convenience, I'd want my score reading solution to be always with my piano running the necessary software at all times, and for regular iPad use, I would simply get another iPad (probably not a pro, since mobility/size is more of a concern for me) to carry around and do my non-piano other stuff. This in fact is similar to what I do now with my VST. It runs on a dedicated piano-computer parked at my piano and left always on. The additional cost of having another computer is offset by the convenience of me never having to turn anything on and in life, we often pay for convenience.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I’m all for using two iPad Pros with Forscore; which I did not know was possible (left/right) until now.
I’d bypass the newer iPads and go for the 1st generation iPad Pro. These come up on EBay for as little as $400. So for half the price you’re getting left/right screens and better functionality.
In terms of e-ink vs. the iPad screen I wouldn’t mind the IPad. It’s not like I’m practicing under the sun or under very bright lights.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
I’m all for using two iPad Pros with Forscore; which I did not know was possible (left/right) until now.

Neither did I so I am grateful that Groove On pointed that out it works with a helper application.

I’d bypass the newer iPads and go for the 1st generation iPad Pro. These come up on EBay for as little as $400. So for half the price you’re getting left/right screens and better functionality.

That ties with an issue of the iPad, which is planned obsolescence, I presently have an older iPad right now and it becomes more and more useless everyday. Why? Because Apple stops updating older iPads with new releases of the iOS operating system, and while I don't care about this, apparently app developers do as they also stop supporting the older versions of iOS with their apps. So right now, several of the apps I use are only of the older versions where I can't use any of their new features. Even for only using one app on the pair of dual iPad Pros - Forscore - I would not want this issue to pop up unless the developer promised to support old versions of iOS as long as possible. While it would still eventually happen, I can postpone this the longest by buying the current generation iPad.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I think it's for product differentiation and positioning at a premium price market and price point. There are plenty of single-screen A4-class e-readers targeted at musicians, like the PadMu, Max2 and Good eReader. I assume GVido just wanted to emulate a standard music book format and position themselves as a premium choice (because who else would spend thousands on something a photocopier can do for a few cents per score)?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa
I assume GVido just wanted to emulate a standard music book format and position themselves as a premium choice (because who else would spend thousands on something a photocopier can do for a few cents per score)?

I'd prefer migrating to a two-iPad solution myself. I'm using paper right now and it is not convenient. In fact, I've several times thrown temper tantrums at paper sliding off my music rest when I am right in the middle of playing a piece. Fortunately, no one was around to see me behave like a child! LOL

[Linked Image]

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Rofl. Once I'm past the the "serious scrutinization" phase of learning, when I'm penciling in fingering marks and dynamics indicators, I put my printed score into a binder so that I'm not dealing with individual sheets. It makes organization a lot easier.

If I got a GVIDO for free, I'd be ecstatic, and I'm sure I'd use it. But at $1500+ I'd rather sink that into an HTPC config with a large touchscreen to run my VST. It would display 2x sheets just fine smile

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa
But at $1500+ I'd rather sink that into an HTPC config with a large touchscreen to run my VST. It would display 2x sheets just fine smile

...but which introduces an ergonomics issue. I have essentially that setup but my screen is not a touch screen - it is one of the few things my piano computer does other than running a VST. So while I do use it to display scores, it isn't convenient as I have to update the scores in Musescore to annotate (or change fingering). Which is why I am suffering with the paper sliding off the music rest issue, instead.

But let's say I exchanged my large monitor for a touch screen. It's still not ergonomically convenient as it is too high. Not that it hurts my neck as it isn't that high, but it does limit my peripheral vision of the keys since my line of sight is too far off of the keys, so to look down if there is any sort of jump, I have to actually look, and not depend on peripheral vision.

For this reason, I still prefer a tablet solution on the music rest (whether iPad, GVIDO, or similar) as most of the time, I could then get away with seeing my hands/fingers with peripheral vision and leave my eyes on the score, as I do right now with my paper scores.

[Linked Image]

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
The one thing I couldn’t find was a case that would accommodate the two iPads side by side in a “book” format. So basically the two iPads would stand independently. This is more of an aesthetic aspect, but it would also come in handy for mobility purposes. I’d rather move about with a book-like enclosure housing the two iPads over carrying two separate iPads.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
The one thing I couldn’t find was a case that would accommodate the two iPads side by side in a “book” format. So basically the two iPads would stand independently. This is more of an aesthetic aspect, but it would also come in handy for mobility purposes. I’d rather move about with a book-like enclosure housing the two iPads over carrying two untethered iPads.

That's why I mentioned 3D printing a "hinge" further up. I am with you on this point even though I intend to leave the solution permanently on my music rest and not take anywhere. I'd still like it in "book format." So if I do this, it will be a 3D printed hinge for me and superglue. smile

[Linked Image]

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
You could probably sell this “super hinge”. The trick would be to use a glue that leaves no marks when the “super hinge” is removed. So let’s get to building this accessory before Apple beats us to it. wink

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
The one thing I couldn’t find was a case that would accommodate the two iPads side by side in a “book” format.

Based on this discussion and in the related ABF thread, I will most likely proceed in stepwise fashion (well, after upgrading my piano first, as that's a much bigger priority than not throwing temper tantrums at paper curling off my music rest!). I need a new iPad anyways to replace my current decrepit iPad. So I will first buy a smaller non iPad Pro for myself that I'd use anyways day-to-day. I will then install Forscore on both my ancient old iPad and the new one, along with the "cue" helper app that was mentioned. And I will test it out. If after a few weeks, it seems fully usable and a good replacement for my current paper scores in all respects, including annotation, then I will buy two iPad Pros for the final solution and 3D-print myself a hinge for them. If I find it less than hoped for, I will re-look at the GVIDO product, but that now is more of a backup alternative.

You could probably sell this “super hinge”. The trick would be to use a glue that leaves no marks when the “super hinge” is removed. So let’s get to building this accessory before Apple beats us to it. wink

Haha! Yes, I'm sure we aren't the only ones wanting to yoke two iPads together, in book-like fashion!

[Linked Image]

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
So it looks like currently, the cheapest two iPad solution using 12.9" iPads is $1998 not including the cost of 3D-printing a hinge, which is a bit more than the GVIDO while the screen is 0.4" smaller. But 0.4" is negligible and the improved annotation will make up for the $300 price difference.

[Linked Image]

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

But let's say I exchanged my large monitor for a touch screen. It's still not ergonomically convenient as it is too high. Not that it hurts my neck as it isn't that high, but it does limit my peripheral vision of the keys since my line of sight is too far off of the keys, so to look down if there is any sort of jump, I have to actually look, and not depend on peripheral vision.

Yes, the height will definitely need to be reviewed with this kind of solution. Especially on a hybrid grand, the music desk is quite high as it is. I know a lot of folks use ipads on them, but I don't know how much taller a large touchscreen display would be, possibly up to an inch more. I've been thinking about this for more than a year, but the use case has never been so compelling over printed sheets to actually make me take the plunge.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
For those who are interested: There's a cheaper alternative to the iPad Pro: A Surface Pro tablet (previous year model, with minimal CPU specs, to minimize price) running Mobilesheets. Or if you want, two of them. smile
I've been using that (a single one) since a few months and it works great.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoBert
For those who are interested: There's a cheaper alternative to the iPad Pro: A Surface Pro tablet (previous year model, with minimal CPU specs, to minimize price) running Mobilesheets. Or if you want, two of them. smile

Does mobilesheets work as well or better than Forscore? How are annotations via a stylus? Can you make very small annotations (small print) using the stylus, or is it not accurate enough? Does mobilesheets work across two of these devices for two-page view of scores?

Originally Posted by JoBert
I've been using that (a single one) since a few months and it works great.

I see Amazon.com has it for $600 so a pair would come in at $1200. That's a good price and cheaper than GVIDO, although the Surface Pro solution is about 1" smaller than GVIDO. As I will only use this for one purpose - on my music rest only - I don't much care that it is Mobilesheets vs Forscore as long as the former works as well as the latter, since that will be the only app those two devices ever runs anyways.

[Linked Image]

E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
https://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/

Mike the developer is active on his forum and updates are often. He also is working on an e-ink version too.
I believe there is a free trial. I don't have an iPad to compare to ForScore. I like it and brought it to support his work and as a backup in case by #1 has a problem.

There is also https://musicreader.net/ software that is in final Beta testing stage for new version 5 release. If not in a major hurry I would bookmark and take a look when it comes out smile
I use this one because I like the two page display and I can't wait to version 5 is released.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Tyrone, I'll answer your questions in the ABF thread.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Slightly off topic: anyone heard of the Nord Grand? grin

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Slightly off topic: anyone heard of the Nord Grand? grin

Nord Grand? What's that? Stay on topic, Pete. We're talking about ipads being used for screenreaders on NV10s here. Sheesh! (the nerve of some people)

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission