2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 5 invisible), 1,303 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Originally Posted by arc7urus
I left that part of the exhibition with the feeling that the acoustic and digital piano market is being flooded by mass produced, low quality instruments.

That's a real shame. Did you get the impression that those who were established and had the most to lose had the least to gain from showing up? Or was it just the case that the event was flooded by low-cost consumer offerings and everyone else was drowned out?

The Musikmesse is a small/medium size event compared to other events that take place in the same location. So, if someone decided not to participate it was not because exhibition space was lacking. I do not know if established acoustic piano brands were regular participants in the past, but, due to the lack of such exhibitors, most instruments on display were mainly on the lower end of the spectrum. The scenario in the keyboard/digital pianos section was most depressing. There were plenty of exhibitors, but the majority were low quality products from dubious brands (like this one or this - these two had dozens of products on display). Above all, I don't have an explanation why the "big" keyboard/DP brands were not represented. I understand that the acoustic piano market, especially its upper tier, works in a different way. But, I was expecting to have plenty of mid- and high-range digital pianos and keyboards on display. As a result of this decision, the piano and keyboard area was in stark contrast to the rest of the event, where fine instruments were being showcased. There was also no lack of representation in the music book section, with all the big music editors there, along notation software and electronic music reading companies. So, if I had skipped entirely the keyboard area, I would have said that the event targets serious amateurs and concert/band players. I hope that next year they at least move the historic piano builders away from the shabby keyboard section.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Hello arc7urus, thank you for sharing your recent visit.

Kawai Europe had a booth for the dealers and an area open to the public. Yamaha only had an area for the dealers on another floor.

I was not expecting any Kawai area to be open to the public. Presumably this was outside of Kawai's dealer booth?

was displaying a K300-Aures, K500-Aures, CA98, CA78 and an NV10...

With headphones connected?

...along with three acoustic grands (two SKs and one GX). But someone at Kawai had the brilliant idea to jam the action of these grands (there was a wood contraption beneath the strings blocking the keysticks from moving).

I will have to double-check the reason, however I believe this might be because the business area is required to be quiet.

Kind regards
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I also tried a Gvido music score reader. Impressive for score reading due to e-ink display but way too slow for annotations.

I was planning on buying a GVIDO myself after I upgrade my piano. Can you elaborate on your comment about it being way too slow for annotations? What were you trying to do and what was it doing, or not doing, in response?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
A
A
Just had a gig with the Kawai ES8 and I have to say that it sounded fantastic and the action was fantastic. Stick that action in a Nord and it makes me want to have a Nord as well! Congrats Nord - this was your weak point - Fatar - forget Fatar!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I would say that 2/3 of the instruments on display were acoustics, including a Petrof concert grand. Apart from Petrof, which I think is still partially built in Europe, the acoustics were made in China but featured some fancy (or ridiculous) germanized or anglicized brand names. The digitals were mostly from Chinese brands unknown to me. Given their quality, I fail to understand why they were even on the show.

Toy manufacturers pay to exhibit, so they are allowed on the Messe. Most piano makers of the last centuries do not exist anymore, so they cannot go there. Conclusion: Piano is dead, toy keyboard replaced it, guitar is still doing well.

Yamaha P-515
Online Content
Originally Posted by JoeT
Toy manufacturers pay to exhibit, so they are allowed on the Messe...

Joe, are you suggesting that "non-toy manufacturers" (whatever that means...) do not pay a fee to exhibit at Musikmesse?

Kind regards,
James
x

A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hello arc7urus, thank you for sharing your recent visit.

Kawai Europe had a booth for the dealers and an area open to the public. Yamaha only had an area for the dealers on another floor.

I was not expecting any Kawai area to be open to the public. Presumably this was outside of Kawai's dealer booth?

Kawai had a booth with walls around it. The dealer's area was inside the booth. The public area was around the booth. SKs acoustics were along one of the walls, the hybrid/DPs along another wall. The entrance to the dealer's area was between the CAs and the Aures.

was displaying a K300-Aures, K500-Aures, CA98, CA78 and an NV10...

With headphones connected?

Well, I tried to play the Aures and the NV10 without headphones but it was impossible since the whole area was extremely loud. I could not hear half of what I tried to play on a concert grand that was on display smile

...along with three acoustic grands (two SKs and one GX). But someone at Kawai had the brilliant idea to jam the action of these grands (there was a wood contraption beneath the strings blocking the keysticks from moving).

I will have to double-check the reason, however I believe this might be because the business area is required to be quiet.

Noise was probably not the reason smile Kawai's booth, along with the business area, was right in the middle of exhibition area. You had a few guys jamming with drums and other instruments a few meters away and dozens of people banging on the pianos. Yamaha and a few other brands were on the 4th floor, in the seminar and lounge area. I attended a seminar there and that area was quiet, but there were no instruments on display on that area.

Anyway, I was happy that Kawai was on the show! At least, a few visitors could test how a proper digital piano should feel - I say feel, because you could not hear anything wink

Online Content
arc7urus, thanks for the additional info!

In previous years, Kawai has had a public booth in one of the main halls (which can get rather noisy), and a dealer booth in one of the business halls (which is usually very quite by comparison) - as I say, Musikmesse is very different this year.

Actually, I thought the exhibition was for business visitors only (not members of the general public) - may I ask how you were able to attend?

I'll try to find out why the Kawai grand pianos were unable to be played.

Kind regards,
James
x

R
R
Something a little bit more about keyboard action from another forum:

Kawai America HQ in California said: "The Kawai key action used in the Nord Grand is a plastic hammer key action developed specifically for Nord designated RH-N."

I presume that RH-N will be a RHIII with more plastic mechanism parts inside the keyboard, what in result will give lighter weight this instrument (important target of Nord) and a little bit a lighter keyboard action than RHIII but a little bit heavier and more controllable than Fatar.

Kawai VPC1 | Arturia Minilab Mk2
Pianoteq 6 Pro | Synthogy Ivory II | Arturia Analog Lab Lite | Korg Collection
Roland Quad Capture | Neumann KH120 | Grado SR225i
cornet Olds Ambassador, Hohner harmonicas and melodicas
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Actually, I thought the exhibition was for business visitors only (not members of the general public) - may I ask how you were able to attend?

Musikmesse 2019 was open to the general public the whole time in my impression. But I wasn't there.

Yamaha P-515
A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
arc7urus, thanks for the additional info!
In previous years, Kawai has had a public booth in one of the main halls (which can get rather noisy), and a dealer booth in one of the business halls (which is usually very quite by comparison) - as I say, Musikmesse is very different this year.

Yes, that setup would make more sense. Btw, can you elaborate on those differences? Do you have any idea why so few known brands were exhibiting at the pianos & keyboards section?

From what I understood, only the "dealer booths" were not accessible to the general public. I visited with a friend who is a professional player and got tickets from the orchestra he works with. Anyway, I did not notice any restrictions. I bought a couple of music books and was asked by the seller if I was a business or private visitor. The people attending concerts and shows also had full access to the exhibition areas. The website also says that in 2018 they 72% trade visitors and 28% private visitors.
I'll try to find out why the Kawai grand pianos were unable to be played.

Well, to be honest, an exhibition hall is not the place to assess how a piano sounds, regardless of their quality and craftsmanship. But other exhibitors in the show (not in the piano area) had glass panes around their testing areas that managed to reduce the noise quite well. Imo, it would be much better to have GL/GX pianos that the visitors could freely play than locked up SKs. And right in front of Kawai's stand, Petrof had concert grands pianos that could be played...

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
arc7urus, what is the GVIDO annotation issue you mentioned above?

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

https://www.gvidomusic.com/

The GVIDO It is a dual screen, A4-sized, e-ink reader, featuring annotation and organization software to work with music scores. It is impressive in terms of readability as any e-ink reader such as the Kindle. The discount price at the Messe was 1700 EUR smile

The annotations are very slow and jerky as expected from such a display. After you write something there is no immediate feedback. It is similar as making annotations on a Kindle. For the price, I expected they had some better technology for this, but it reacts as any other e-ink screen. But for reading it is amazing. You can see an example of how annotations work here (starting around 5m45s): https://youtu.be/4dfL9Gz41S0?t=342

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

https://www.gvidomusic.com/

The GVIDO It is a dual screen, A4-sized, e-ink reader, featuring annotation and organization software to work with music scores. It is impressive in terms of readability as any e-ink reader such as the Kindle. The discount price at the Messe was 1700 EUR smile

The annotations are very slow and jerky as expected from such a display. After you write something there is no immediate feedback. It is similar as making annotations on a Kindle. For the price, I expected they had some better technology for this, but it reacts as any other e-ink screen. But for reading it is amazing. You can see an example of how annotations work here (starting around 5m45s): https://youtu.be/4dfL9Gz41S0?t=342

So say you are compare with a pair of iPad Pros (although I don't know if Forscore even supports a pair of linked iPad Pros in left-page-right-page format!), would you say a pair of iPad Pros running Forscore would be more usable than a GVIDO?

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Indeed, that annotation speed doesn't seem very good. Would be very awkward to make annotations with, I think...

But I have another question:

Why have two pages, i.e. two screens?

The product could be much cheaper with only a single screen, which also would have the advantage that you could have it centered in front of you (now you have two pages that are both off center, the prime real estate right in front of you is used for margins and bevels, and the information you are looking for is offset to the sides).
I understand why double pages make sense with a paper book, but I don't understand it with a tablet type device. Especially not since it increases the price considerably.

TBH, it seems like an anachronism that is carried over from paper score books, without reflection of if it even still makes sense with the new technology.
Or maybe it is a deliberate skeuomorph design to attract people who are on the fence about using a tablet? Similar to how the first iOS versions had controls that mimicked real life buttons, sliders, dials, etc. to win over users who, at that time, were not yet used to touch screen UIs. An approach that was then dropped starting with iOS 7, when touch UIs had become commonplace and those skeuomorphs were no longer needed...

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoBert

I like being able to look at the next measure while still playing the last measures on the previous page. Allows me to get ready for those next measures without having to remember either the last measures of the previous page or the first measures of the next page. Not that this is a big problem for me though, but it's just a nice-to-have thing.

[Linked Image]

Bronze Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Seems like some off-topic wanderings about e-readers might make this new topic harder to find in the future. There are lots of informative posts available on readers for music scores you might want to check out, e.g...

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2801399

... and others.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

I like being able to look at the next measure while still playing the last measures on the previous page. Allows me to get ready for those next measures without having to remember either the last measures of the previous page or the first measures of the next page. Not that this is a big problem for me though, but it's just a nice-to-have thing.

I have the same preference, actually.
But do you know about the half page turn feature in Forscore, Mobilesheets, etc.? That allows for the same thing, but with a single screen.
When you tap the page turn pedal, only the top half of the page is turned, so the lower half remains on the previous page. So you can play to the end of the page and then just move your eyes to the top where the beginning of the next page is already shown. Then a bit later you tap the pedal again to turn the lower half of the page too. The advantage is, as you say, that you don't have to memorize the measures around the page turn, as they are always on screen at the same time. And you don't have to tap the pedal exactly at the end of the page (when it may be inconvenient if you are busy playing some difficult). You can tap the pedal at any convenient moment while on the second half of the page (for example during a rest) and then again during a convenient moment on the first half of the next page.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
M
M

The product could be much cheaper with only a single screen, which also would have the advantage that you could have it centered in front of you (now you have two pages that are both off center, the prime real estate right in front of you is used for margins and bevels, and the information you are looking for is offset to the sides).
I understand why double pages make sense with a paper book, but I don't understand it with a tablet type device. Especially not since it increases the price considerably.

I can think two reasons to have a two-page tablet. First, for some people who have played for decades looking for two or more pages in sequence it may feel odd to look always for the same "page" up <-> down. Something like GVIDO may give the feeling of reading a paper book. Second, with a two-page display we can anticipate the next page. These are two reasons that only a small number of people can find value, but I think a product like GVIDO is designed precisely for a very narrow market niche and with certain special needs.

Maybe there is a third and fundamental reason for having two pages: style, especially if it is a very expensive product.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I agree with JoBert. If they sold a one page model, they could price it at less than a iPad Pro. Which could increase sales. The accessories are also overpriced compared to the competition. It is elegant though with the leather cover. shocked

Kawai NV10
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission