Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
73 registered members (36251, Animisha, AndyOnThePiano, Bett, Beowulf, barbaram, Beemer, Ankee, 18 invisible), 936 guests, and 478 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Long distance walks with left hand #2835087 04/04/19 02:48 AM
T
tudor33sud Online Content OP
OP Online Content
T
Hi everyone,

This is my first post into piano teachers forum. I am a returning pianist, so I must say that I play piano as a hobby and I really enjoy it in my spare time. Currently I have no teacher, and I'm sure I forgot lots of the things I learned during my 3 years education with piano ( I could narrow it down to 2, since the first one I learned to play a keyboard from scratch, using just chords on the left hand and accompaniament )

It happens for me to really like Yann Tiersen's music, and after coming back to piano and playing the things I like, I'm starting to finally coordinate better on rhythm, since I noticed in recordings that I have a tendency to play way too much rubato and get out of rhythm, it's really hard for me to play on rhythm and also with expression.

Long story short, in order to evolve, I really like Debussy's music, and I'm trying now to tame one of his very known pieces : Reverie. I think it's good that I tried this one, I'm really starting to play pp / p with much ease. However, I seem to have problems with fingering when left hand needs to travel a lot. This happens on the second page, and I will post a video for reference directly when it starts getting problematic: https://youtu.be/Hdj147NcjS0?t=49

Could anyone share with me some exercises, or the right way of improving this long distance travels of the left hand upper and downwards? Usually it's not a big problem going up, but when coming back down I really struggle witih fingering. Currently, I'm starting to be able to do the first measures accordingly, but I don't feel too much in control, so I wonder if there's a better way of practicing those in order to play this piece decently in terms of expression and stability as well.

Thank you very much!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC073i6RnxK4NcnoFp1jYh7Q this is my youtube channel where I ocasionally post some videos, maybe it could help in terms of where my current level is.

www.youtube.com/channel/UC073i6RnxK4NcnoFp1jYh7Q The place where I ocasionally post my amateur recordings smile
Criticism is welcomed since it helps improving and going forward!

Yamaha P-105 -> Roland HP-605 -> Roland LX708
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Long distance walks with left hand [Re: tudor33sud] #2835114 04/04/19 04:39 AM
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
I
I think you should practice more arpeggios.

Left hand 'travels' not quickly in Reverie, you'll probably learn to do it pretty soon.

Re: Long distance walks with left hand [Re: tudor33sud] #2835130 04/04/19 05:26 AM
T
OP Online Content
T
Do you have any material where I could learn? I must tell that music theory I kinda forgot lots about it, and it seems overkill to go and start from scratch for me since I don't have that much time, however I'd like some intermediate exercises on it! thank you!

www.youtube.com/channel/UC073i6RnxK4NcnoFp1jYh7Q The place where I ocasionally post my amateur recordings smile

Re: Long distance walks with left hand [Re: tudor33sud] #2835135 04/04/19 05:42 AM
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
I

Re: Long distance walks with left hand [Re: tudor33sud] #2835137 04/04/19 05:45 AM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
You can use this book (if you're in the USA) to practice arpeggios:

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Scales-Chords-Arpeggios-Cadences/dp/0739003682

Also, for this specific Debssy piece, you need to have a well-developed legato pedaling technique, and you need to practice moving your whole LH smoothly and easily back & forth (i.e. right & left across the keyboard). Practice LH by itself with pedal and listen carefully to ensure complete smoothness of dynamic & tone.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Long distance walks with left hand [Re: bennevis] #2835148 04/04/19 06:20 AM
T
OP Online Content
T
Originally Posted by bennevis
You can use this book (if you're in the USA) to practice arpeggios:

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Scales-Chords-Arpeggios-Cadences/dp/0739003682

Also, for this specific Debssy piece, you need to have a well-developed legato pedaling technique, and you need to practice moving your whole LH smoothly and easily back & forth (i.e. right & left across the keyboard). Practice LH by itself with pedal and listen carefully to ensure complete smoothness of dynamic & tone.

Thank you, I'll try and do that. Pedaling isn't too much of an issue now since it sounds really okay. The only thing that it's kinda tricky for me is the beginning part, where even though I respect the score with the legatos between bars, I think I'm missing something since from time to time you could feel that I repedaled and from lots of resonances it resumes down to one. I also don't remind of what means the large legato sign which stars from the beginning G and lasts for like 4 bars, that means that you should try and phrase that as a legato? since obviously that note won't be kept for 4 bars.

Thank you very much in advance both for your books! I'm in Europe, but I'm sure I could find that content online.

PS: could it be a bad thing to try and practice Reverie even though I'm not a professional pianist and not having a teacher anymore? I noticed that songs that I like to listen to , even if they are difficult, my drive and passion are bigger to learn them given a challenge. My ultimate goals are Clair de Lune and Arabesque 1, so I thought that Reverie might be a transition piece.

Last edited by tudor33sud; 04/04/19 06:21 AM.

Re: Long distance walks with left hand [Re: tudor33sud] #2835161 04/04/19 07:09 AM
B
bennevis Offline
B
Originally Posted by tudor33sud
I also don't remind of what means the large legato sign which stars from the beginning G and lasts for like 4 bars, that means that you should try and phrase that as a legato? since obviously that note won't be kept for 4 bars.

What G is held for 4 bars?

A phrase doesn't mean that any of the notes are held beyond their duration.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Long distance walks with left hand [Re: tudor33sud] #2835201 04/04/19 09:16 AM
T
OP Online Content
T
http://clanfaw.free.fr/fl068.pdf

I was mentioning as in this sheet, from the bar 3 till bar 6 at the beginning, there's the legato sign. Can you help me a little bit and explain to me the principles behind that sign?

Re: Long distance walks with left hand [Re: tudor33sud] #2835306 04/04/19 01:27 PM
B
bennevis Offline
B

I was mentioning as in this sheet, from the bar 3 till bar 6 at the beginning, there's the legato sign. Can you help me a little bit and explain to me the principles behind that sign?

That's a phrase marking, and usually (but not always) means that all the notes are to be connected and played as a single phrase - as a singer might sing it in one breath. If you try singing the whole phrase in one breath, you'll get some idea of how to play it on the piano.

There are also two tie markings there to indicate that the D is to be held across the bar line. They look like phrase marks except that they are on the same note.

Re: Long distance walks with left hand [Re: bennevis] #2835416 04/04/19 05:06 PM
T
OP Online Content
T
Originally Posted by bennevis

That's a phrase marking, and usually (but not always) means that all the notes are to be connected and played as a single phrase - as a singer might sing it in one breath. If you try singing the whole phrase in one breath, you'll get some idea of how to play it on the piano.

There are also two tie markings there to indicate that the D is to be held across the bar line. They look like phrase marks except that they are on the same note.

Yeap, sorry I do not have the right terminology since I learned this thing in my mother language, however it seems that I guessed it right. On the same note, those mean to keep the note so you could repedal and still have the note sounding, however the phrase thing also makes sense. Maybe if I have some time this week, I should record the begining of the piece played by me to a audio file. Would you mind listening to it and give me some oppinion on the things that you mentioned? I think it would be really enlightening for me smile Thank you very much for all your implication.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

ad
Rob Mullins Holiday Album
Rob Mullins Holiday Album

Rob is an amazing jazz pianist in LA,a composer, and a friend of mine.
Frank B. / Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Christmas Ornaments Music Theme
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha Reface CP with sustain pedal:Turn down DRIVE!
by boyonahill - 12/13/19 02:43 AM
A funny thing happened on the way to ASIO
by MacMacMac - 12/12/19 09:31 PM
books for learning harmony?
by Álvaro - 12/12/19 04:48 PM
Adult beginner - digital piano recommendation
by finch42 - 12/12/19 03:22 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,631
Posts2,901,158
Members95,224
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission