2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Wait..... so the music stand is not included?
I think I’ve blown a fuse. I’m going to need some therapy for this one. cry

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Kawai James
ps. Hello thread, by the way. wink

Hello James, welcome to the thread smile

Have you been giving recommendations to Kawai and Clavia lately? wink

Shigeru Kawai SK-2, etc.
R
R
Originally Posted by Pete14

None of nord keyboards are including the music stand. You have to buy it separately, unfortunately.

BTW - this is first nord gear which has damped keyboard, using material tape (felt?).

Last edited by RichieBill; 04/03/19 09:11 AM.

Kawai VPC1 | Arturia Minilab Mk2
Pianoteq 6 Pro | Synthogy Ivory II | Arturia Analog Lab Lite | Korg Collection
Roland Quad Capture | Neumann KH120 | Grado SR225i
cornet Olds Ambassador, Hohner harmonicas and melodicas
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by arc7urus
Since we are talking about slanted designs... this is the beautiful and technologically impressive Nonlinear Labs C15 digital synth. The slanted panel is detachable and the two horizontal ribbons above the keyboard are touch sensitive controllers.

[Linked Image]

Hi Arc7urus,

That looks awesome: good job I don't have €4000 to place my pre-order...

Kind regards,

Doug

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by RichieBill

None of nord keyboards are including the music stand. You have to buy it separately, unfortunately.

BTW - this is first nord gear which has damped keyboard, using material tape (felt?).

RichieBill, I think I’m gonna have to pass on the Nord. With that kind of money, I’d rather get me a Gucci bag. Did you know that they actually include the straps along with the bag?
And these are not just any straps: these straps are detachable; which creates multifunctionality, doubling as a shoulder bag, while the top opening frame features a hinged lock on each side for a secure closure.

So no, this is not just an overpriced bag, it’s special!

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Let me put it this way, the P-515 paired to Pianoteq will crush the Nord thing any day of the week, and it costs less!
No, I don’t need to play the Nord to know this.

But not everyone would feel the way you do. There are people who prefer Nord's piano sounds to Pianoteq. There are people who prefer Kawai RHIII to Yamaha's actions.

Plus there are people who prefer to not use a computer, whether for gig convenience, or aesthetic/ergonomic reasons, or the nuisance of moving things around and open and close apps when you want to play piano (unless you're going to dedicate a computer to the piano, in which case the rig probably no longer costs less).

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Jesus, did I write that?
The meds are starting to kick in. I can see clearly now!
But seriously, I’m just messing around with the Nord crowd. I tend to get upset when nothing major is revealed at these events (Musik/Namm), plus to make things worse, James had winked at us and said,.... ‘ask me next week..’ I took this to be a hint for something big to come........and then nothing.
So blame it on James! laugh

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Jesus, did I write that?
The meds are starting to kick in. I can see clearly now!
But seriously, I’m just messing around with the Nord crowd. I tend to get upset when nothing major is revealed at these events (Musik/Namm), plus to make things worse, James had winked at us and said,.... ‘ask me next week..’ I took this to be a hint for something big to come........and then nothing.
So blame it on James! laugh

Yeah, I'm shocked myself that the only thing that appears to have been announced at Musikmesse was this Nord. None of Kawai, Yamaha, Roland, or Casio announced anything. Is this saying something implicitly about these large musical instrument manufacturers' views of the European market vs the American market?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Bronze Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
This seems like a brilliant move, for both Kawai and Nord.

For Nord, they get to upgrade their grand keybed lineup and preserve a hold on those consumers that currently prefer the Nord look/feel/sounds and operating system.

For Kawai, they expand their revenue stream for existing well-established parts while getting the marketing bump that results from Nord explicitly pushing the Kawai brand name as top quality keybed grand action... it's the ultimate affirmation for Kawai's engineering excellence by Nord - which is already highly regarded for quality product engineering.

And of course for consumers, they get more choices.

Win-win-win for all involved. - OneWatt

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I've owned two Nord pianos in the past and granted, I haven't used one in 5 years but I still have a good idea what the "Nord pianos" sound like - both on a gig and at home, through phones or speakers.

When this was announced yesterday I got excited like everyone else ...well maybe not here on PW but elsewhere. But knowing how I feel about the sound of those pianos and having them long term, I know this wouldn't be a DP for me. For home or a gig.

Again, the only DP in my sights, and for home , right now is the P-515. I can't see replacing the CP4 for gigs unless I play the CP88 in a more quiet environment then what I heard it at NAMM, and I'm blown away. But the more I hear even the best piano demos of the CP88, the more it reinforces my original impression of the pianos sounding synthetic compared to the CP4....and the P-515 too.

Without playing the Nord Grand, I'd make a guess and say I'd still prefer even the CP88 to it.

But I do think for hard core Nord fans, this is a great announcement and merger.

A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Yeah, I'm shocked myself that the only thing that appears to have been announced at Musikmesse was this Nord. None of Kawai, Yamaha, Roland, or Casio announced anything. Is this saying something implicitly about these large musical instrument manufacturers' views of the European market vs the American market?

Not unexpected since the "big" manufacturers are focussing on the growing Asian markets. The American and European are about high profit margin sales through the higher-end instruments and most brands have refreshed their lineup recently.

Note that Casio, Roland and Korg are not even in the Musikmesse's exhibitors list. Only Kawai Europe and Yamaha Europe are there, along with brands like Clavia (Nord) and "niche" synth manufacturers. The number of Chinese manufacturers of all types of instruments on the exhibitor list is impressive...

P
P
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Let me put it this way, the P-515 paired to Pianoteq will crush the Nord thing any day of the week, and it costs less!
No, I don’t need to play the Nord to know this.

But not everyone would feel the way you do. There are people who prefer Nord's piano sounds to Pianoteq. There are people who prefer Kawai RHIII to Yamaha's actions.

Plus there are people who prefer to not use a computer, whether for gig convenience, or aesthetic/ergonomic reasons, or the nuisance of moving things around and open and close apps when you want to play piano (unless you're going to dedicate a computer to the piano, in which case the rig probably no longer costs less).

You just described me to a tee!

www.PianoManChuck.com
Authorized Reseller of Casio, Dexibell, iLoud, Kurzweil, Nord, PreSonus, Viscount and more...
PianoManChuck on Youtube
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by maurus
Have you been giving recommendations to Kawai and Clavia lately? wink

I knew that Kawai would supply keyboard actions for a future Clavia instrument, but didn't have any direct involvement in the negotiations, I'm afraid.

Note that Casio, Roland and Korg are not even in the Musikmesse's exhibitors list. Only Kawai Europe and Yamaha Europe are there, along with brands like Clavia (Nord) and "niche" synth manufacturers.

Moreover, the Kawai booth (and I believe the Yamaha booth also) is a "Business to Business" booth, and only accessible to distributors and dealers - not the general public. I don't Clavia (Nord) are exhibiting at the show (the company does not appear to be listed on the Musikmesse website). As I mentioned last week, Musikmesse is very different this year.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I knew that Kawai would supply keyboard actions for a future Clavia instrument

And you didn’t tell us beforehand?! I thought we were all your friends... frown

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I knew that Kawai would supply keyboard actions for a future Clavia instrument

And you didn’t tell us beforehand?! I thought we were all your friends... frown

Yeah, any proprietary information would have completely stayed within this thread! For sure.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
Online Content
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I thought we were all your friends... frown

With friends like these... wink

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
We love you, James. 2hearts

P
P

I knew that Kawai would supply keyboard actions for a future Clavia instrument, but didn't have any direct involvement in the negotiations, I'm afraid.

Somehow I knew that you knew all along!

www.PianoManChuck.com
Authorized Reseller of Casio, Dexibell, iLoud, Kurzweil, Nord, PreSonus, Viscount and more...
PianoManChuck on Youtube
A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Note that Casio, Roland and Korg are not even in the Musikmesse's exhibitors list. Only Kawai Europe and Yamaha Europe are there, along with brands like Clavia (Nord) and "niche" synth manufacturers.

Moreover, the Kawai booth (and I believe the Yamaha booth also) is a "Business to Business" booth, and only accessible to distributors and dealers - not the general public. I don't Clavia (Nord) are exhibiting at the show (the company does not appear to be listed on the Musikmesse website). As I mentioned last week, Musikmesse is very different this year.

Well, I happened to be in the area today and managed to visit the Musikmesse this afternoon smile The pianos and keyboard section was not what I was expecting. Kawai Europe had a booth for the dealers and an area open to the public. Yamaha only had an area for the dealers on another floor.

Kawai was displaying a K300-Aures, K500-Aures, CA98, CA78 and an NV10 along with three acoustic grands (two SKs and one GX). But someone at Kawai had the brilliant idea to jam the action of these grands (there was a wood contraption beneath the strings blocking the keysticks from moving). So, all the acoustic pianos and other instruments on the floor could be played except the three Kawai grands. I guess that the team that has developed the Kawai touchscreen GUI decided to introduce the same level of usability on the Kawai grands smile

I would say that 2/3 of the instruments on display were acoustics, including a Petrof concert grand. Apart from Petrof, which I think is still partially built in Europe, the acoustics were made in China but featured some fancy (or ridiculous) germanized or anglicized brand names. The digitals were mostly from Chinese brands unknown to me. Given their quality, I fail to understand why they were even on the show. Kurzweil was one few known brands and was there presenting their new PC4 workstation (anyway, Kurzweil is now also a Chinese company). The booths on this area that were not from Chinese brands were a few builders of organs and historic instruments, piano rebuilders and installers of aftermarket silent systems (good thing is that there were a couple of Yamaha and Steinway pianos on these booths ready to be played).

I also tried a Gvido music score reader. Impressive for score reading due to e-ink display but way too slow for annotations. And one can buy two big iPad Pros for the same price...

So, the positive outcome of visiting the piano & keyboard area was to be able compare (literally) side-by-side the NV10, CAs, Aures and a number of acoustic pianos. But, I left that part of the exhibition with the feeling that the acoustic and digital piano market is being flooded by mass produced, low quality instruments. On the other areas of the exhibition (drums, guitars, brass, woodwind, strings...) most exhibitors were displaying high-quality or concert-grade instruments and had a much more lively environment during my visit.

[Linked Image]

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I left that part of the exhibition with the feeling that the acoustic and digital piano market is being flooded by mass produced, low quality instruments.

That's a real shame. Did you get the impression that those who were established and had the most to lose had the least to gain from showing up? Or was it just the case that the event was flooded by low-cost consumer offerings and everyone else was drowned out?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission