2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, 6 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
OP Offline
I'm curious, what's that one biggest single sticking point you have right now that's impeding your piano progress? I'm a teacher always looking to improve, and it'd be helpful to have some input on the biggest frustrations people have when learning at each level.

It could be a technical issue, for example:
I've been playing for 2 months and I just can't seem to get my darn hands to coordinate together.

Or it could be a motivational issue, for example:
I've been playing for 3 years, and when I go through the tedious process of learning a song measure by measure it's really hard to keep motivated.

Let me know! The more detail the better smile

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
There were and probably will be a lot more roadblocks, apart from those at the begining(hands coordination etc.) my biggest were probably polyrhytms, 2 against 3, 3 against 4 and so on. Currently I for example struggle with 3rd part of Paderewski piano sonata(jumps, awkward fingerings at fast tempo and so on). I think that is what makes i interesting as you strugle with those problems and in the end overcoming them. But I don't think I have one biggest problem holding me back overall. Maybe my memory smile

Roland LX708
K
K
Trills with my 1-2 and 1-3, especially in the right hand. For some reason, the thumb in my left hand has much less trouble with the fine movement. I've postponed the recording of the famous Petzold Minuet in G Minor two times now because my 1-3 trills (Bb A) are just not there yet. Similarly, 2-3 doesn't really work, but since it makes more sense to use 1-3 or 1-2 there, anyway (because of the black key)...

Why it is that my left thumb is better at ornaments than my right thumb, I did notice as I typed this comment that I always use my left thumb to press the spacebar. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the cause for the difference.

But yeah, trills, in general, take a lot of time and consistent practice to get right for me.

I've started playing January 2017, Nothing is too easy is where I keep track of my progress.

[Linked Image]
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Zach Evans
I'm curious, what's that one biggest single sticking point you have right now that's impeding your piano progress?

My teacher has been working with me on piano technique for months, and I feel I am making progress, but I have to say piano technique is still my #1 issue. This ranges from wrist flexibility, using arm weight (great Miyagi video BTW, I've been sending that Youtube link to everyone!), utilizing gestures, raising wrists at the end of phrases, etc etc. You name it, I have it broken still. mad

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
I have been playing for over 7 years and I'd say the most annoying has been my physical limitation (not able to reach octaves with the RH).

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by outo
I have been playing for over 7 years and I'd say the most annoying has been my physical limitation (not able to reach octaves with the RH).

outo, have you seen this book? I've read some good things about it online.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
P
P
I guess mine is rather common: sudden attacks of unneven scale passages in pieces, especially in LH while using 4,5 fingers, but also for thumb unders (both hands) - at any speed. The inconsistency is that I can't seem to get away from. It's like my hand/fingers suddenly decide to speed up/catch up for few notes and even my brain is suprised what just happened.
I remember working on LH in Burgmueller's Arabesque for like forever last year. The issue only happened one very few playings in the end, but came back with another pieces. I practice it a lot and I hope that someday it will just stop occuring.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Having a job. The damn thing keeps getting in the way of practice. smile

Seriously, though. I feel like my progress is slower than it could be because I often have trouble focusing and concentrating on practice. Yes, my fingers are moving, but if it's not fully mindful practice, it's almost not worth doing. I'm always looking for tips on how to be in the moment, and make sure I'm getting the most out of every practice session.

Enthusiastic but mediocre amateur.
As a humble beginner, my current stumbling block at the moment is trying to play with different dynamics in the left and right hands (ie melody louder than accompaniment). I just cannot seem to make my hands press the keys with different pressures frown.

Chris

Yamaha P-515, Yamaha Reface CP.
S
S
For me, it has to rhythm and tempo. Slightly more complex rhythms with sixteenth notes in my last piece took a while to get right, and playing that same piece at a consistant tempo has been a challange. I don't usually use the metronome, but have had to start.

Then there was this waltz, and getting that rhythm was harder than it should have been.. Still my teacher tries different ways to help me get it, and I always do in the end!

P
P
At 10 months in I spend most of my time working the tension out of my hands/arms (much improved but more to go) and trying modified practice approaches to see what works best for me.

Progman
Baldwin Console
Long Live ELP
G
G
Too much to do with job and family issues so I never get enough time to practice. At the moment I get no time at all. Incredibly frustrating.

Last edited by ghosthand; 04/03/19 05:11 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Approaching two years since rebooting my piano playing, my biggest issue has always been sightreading; I read notes very slowly.

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
The only true roadblock I have ever had was painless deterioration of motor control about ten years ago. I assume it was a focal dystonia as it took me four years to get rid of it by myself. Since my technique has recovered I have had no roadblocks at all, physical or musical. I think the piano is complaining though.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I wouldn’t say biggest but my most recent annoying block is coordinating the pedal. I didn’t expect it, I have had no trouble coordinating the pedal until a particular piece I have been playing the last few days. Something is just a little different about the requirements of this piece and I have not thought much about how I use the pedal until now and now I am thinking about it, my use of it falls apart.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Polyrhythms...searched high and low for someone to explain it in such a way that MY brain understands it. Even my teacher couldn’t get through to me. Someone posted a YouTube [piano lessons on the web]...I can’t wait to revisit some previously ‘attempted’ pieces aka Debussy’s arabesques no 1 ... this one makes sense..and will check in with my teacher to make sure he is on board!

There are just certain techniques that needs multiple ways to learn/enforce it..and I love that the internet offers that resource.

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
As my username suggests...my left hand and bass clef reading. There’s a difference in skill between my left and right hand of 3 - 4 years.

Kawai K500
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Keselo
Trills with my 1-2 and 1-3, especially in the right hand. For some reason, the thumb in my left hand has much less trouble with the fine movement. I've postponed the recording of the famous Petzold Minuet in G Minor two times now because my 1-3 trills (Bb A) are just not there yet. Similarly, 2-3 doesn't really work, but since it makes more sense to use 1-3 or 1-2 there, anyway (because of the black key)...
Have you tried 1-3-2-3 fingering? It's much easier for some people.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Watching too many videos about playing when I could actually be playing, taking too many online courses about playing when I could actually be playing and listening to too many podcasts when I could actually be playing is definitely my biggest annoying roadblock.

Last edited by Chrispy; 04/03/19 07:59 PM.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Chrispy
Watching too many videos about playing when I could actually be playing, taking too many online courses about playing when I could actually be playing and listening to too many podcasts when I could actually be playing is definitely my biggest annoying roadblock.

You missed one: spending too much time on PW forums discussing playing and pianos, when you could actually be playing.

Me too.

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 04/03/19 08:09 PM.

Kawai K500
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission