2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 14 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 23 of 45 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 44 45
Originally Posted by PianoManChuck
There's only 2 types of users that I know of personally who use built-in speakers: 1) those who purchased the console type (furniture style) digital pianos with awesome sound systems built in, and 2) those in college dorms or other restrictive housing where space is a problem. Everyone else I know uses studio monitors for home, and PA's for live/band gigging.

I must say that I find this a little strange. Many stage pianos (eg the Yamaha P515 that I own) have perfectly acceptable built-in speakers. I play using the speakers during the day, and with headphones at night (to avoid disturbing the neighbours).

Chris

Yamaha P-515, Yamaha Reface CP.
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
so far, playing very fast repeated notes seems to work flawlessly (better than some 3-sensor actions I've played).

The third sensor isn't really about repeating keys quickly as much as repeating them softly. Fast as it is, the Billy Joel style of the intro to Angry Young Man does not benefit from a 3rd sensor at all, because the key raises above the top sensor between each strike regardless. It's when you want to repeat at lesser velocities (and so dont want the repeating keystrikes to initiate from so high) that you notice the difference (in repetitions and trills).

Some 2-sensor boards do repeat from as low in their travel as some 3-sensor boards... it's because their top sensor is relatively low. Korg SV1 (RH3) is in this category.

The most obviously noticeable difference is what happens when you repeat a note without having the sustain pedal down. On a 2-sensor board (unlike on a 3-sensor board), there's no way to do that without the note being silenced first. I wonder if the PX-S has somehow replicated that third sensor behavior without a third sensor?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sullivang
ahumdrumoflife: according to Mike Martin (earlier in this thread), the new action is no longer tri-sensor.

So with this change, the Roland FP-30 remains as the only board with triple-sensor action in that price class?

Yamaha P-515
S
S
FWIW, there's an example of repeated notes on the S-1000 at 2:30 of this video:

https://youtu.be/u_l12U8x26Q?t=150

Last edited by Steve.L; 04/01/19 08:08 AM.
A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by anotherscott
so far, playing very fast repeated notes seems to work flawlessly (better than some 3-sensor actions I've played).

The third sensor isn't really about repeating keys quickly as much as repeating them softly. Fast as it is, the Billy Joel style of the intro to Angry Young Man does not benefit from a 3rd sensor at all, because the key raises above the top sensor between each strike regardless. It's when you want to repeat at lesser velocities (and so dont want the repeating keystrikes to initiate from so high) that you notice the difference (in repetitions and trills).

Some 2-sensor boards do repeat from as low in their travel as some 3-sensor boards... it's because their top sensor is relatively low. Korg SV1 (RH3) is in this category.

The most obviously noticeable difference is what happens when you repeat a note without having the sustain pedal down. On a 2-sensor board (unlike on a 3-sensor board), there's no way to do that without the note being silenced first. I wonder if the PX-S has somehow replicated that third sensor behavior without a third sensor?

The sensors used in most DPs are simple on/off switches (exceptions are hybrids like the Yamaha AG and Kawai NV - the Casio GP "hybrid" uses conventional on/off switches). Velocities are calculated based on when each sensor was triggered by the key/action mechanism. If Casio is using similar on/off switches then there is no way to use two sensors to replace the functionality of the third sensor when it comes to detect repetitions without fully releasing the key. However, if Casio is now using a different sensor technology (such as continuous detection sensors) then the discussion about the number of sensors is not applicable anymore... moreover, since Casio uses the same action across most of their DP range, such a change may actually end up being cheaper to produce... one way to try to test this is to hook a new Casio DP to a MIDI monitor and check the events generated by the keyboard.

Originally Posted by arc7urus

The sensors used in most DPs are simple on/off switches (exceptions are hybrids like the Yamaha AG and Kawai NV - the Casio GP "hybrid" uses conventional on/off switches). Velocities are calculated based on when each sensor was triggered by the key/action mechanism. If Casio is using similar on/off switches then there is no way to use two sensors to replace the functionality of the third sensor when it comes to detect repetitions without fully releasing the key. However, if Casio is now using a different sensor technology (such as continuous detection sensors) then the discussion about the number of sensors is not applicable anymore... moreover, since Casio uses the same action across most of their DP range, such a change may actually end up being cheaper to produce... one way to try to test this is to hook a new Casio DP to a MIDI monitor and check the events generated by the keyboard.

That would definitely not be the case here. This is after all the Privia lowest model now, not some Rolls-Royce equivalent and so it is build as such. If they don't use 3 switches but two then probably they found out it is good enough for this lowest end privia and it saves on having additional 88 switches.The CDP series has 2 switches only so I guess they improved on the algorithm and call it mission accomplished. I still don't know why people insist on comparing this to some high end keyboards with wooden keys such as VPC1. It is like constantly asking what is the difference between Toyota Echo and Lexus. Those are two different classes of cars and pianos.

Really the correct comparison here would be to the older PX-160, Yamaha P45 and such. I think in PX- S1000 is a winner between those low end pianos, mostly on the size alone and still in ballpark similar action. If I was looking for something like PX-160 I would grab the S1000. But that's it. It is not FP90, not P515, not GP500 not VPC1...

Last edited by oscar1; 04/01/19 07:43 PM.

Casio PX-860, Roland Fantom G, Kurzweil PC1X, Korg Micro X
G
G
I tried to play a little bit of Liszt's La Campanella. It still quite playable on the px-s1000 even I was at a standing position cause they had the demo on the 2nd rack above a p125.

G
G
Originally Posted by oscar1

Really the correct comparison here would be to the older PX-160, Yamaha P45 and such. I think in PX- S1000 is a winner between those low end pianos, mostly on the size alone and still in ballpark similar action. If I was looking for something like PX-160 I would grab the S1000. But that's it. It is not FP90, not P515, not GP500 not VPC1...

I agree that we shouldn't be compare it to the P515, VPC1, FP90 since they are 2 if not 3 times the price of the px-s1000. IMO I think the px-s1000 is more comparable to the p125, fp30, es110. They are around the same price range more or less.

A
A
[quote=arc7urus]

The S1000 sells for £575 here, I wouldn't say it was much better than my Casio CDP130 which cost £330 when it was brand new.

It is an interesting price point for Casio, because it makes it more expensive than the P125 and ES110.

F
F
Of course, based on history, you should not compare the below 700 euro DPs with FP90, MP11 or VPC1, but the marketing and excitement around the "brand new Hammer action" of Casio was brought as a new great action for a lower price-point, so a breakthrough in price/quality ratio. Hence the comparison with the more expensive models. Of course, marketing is marketing, so I was waiting for real reviews.

A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by arc7urus

That would definitely not be the case here. This is after all the Privia lowest model now, not some Rolls-Royce equivalent and so it is build as such. If they don't use 3 switches but two then probably they found out it is good enough for this lowest end privia and it saves on having additional 88 switches.The CDP series has 2 switches only so I guess they improved on the algorithm and call it mission accomplished. I still don't know why people insist on comparing this to some high end keyboards with wooden keys such as VPC1. It is like constantly asking what is the difference between Toyota Echo and Lexus. Those are two different classes of cars and pianos.

I understand your point. But Casio used the same "scaled hammer action II" on *all* of their Privia/PX DPs, ranging from the entry level up to the "pro" models, as well as on all the Privia console pianos. Unless Casio changes their approach, this action is not going to be used only on the lower end models.

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
I just have listened to PX-S1000 on PianoManChuck's YouTube channel. A miserable impression.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
I just have listened to PX-S1000 on PianoManChuck's YouTube channel. A miserable impression.

Even considering its price? After all, it is an entry-level keyboard.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14

+1 to Piano Man Chuck! He has great reviews on the slabs.

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Yes, quite an ordinary entry-level keyboard. Nothing special to talk about IMHO.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Yes, quite an ordinary entry-level keyboard. Nothing special to talk about IMHO.

Ah. I see. You were just pointing out it's ordinariness. LOL. Your comment made me think you were saying it was especially bad. I didn't think it was especially bad either. Quite reasonable for its price point.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
F
F
This must have been (and still growing) the longest thread for just an entry level piano. Congratulations to Casio for the marketing.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Just did a quick check at Thomann:

1. highest price of the entry-level bunch
2. worst sound (IMHO)
3. worst action (downgraded to two sensors?)
4. worst sustain switch

The Kawai ES110 is still the best deal overall in this segment. Best piano sound, better action, optical damper pedal bundled, native MIDI + Bluetooth MIDI, 60 € cheaper than Casio.

Yamaha P-515
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by FlexHank
Congratulations to Casio for the marketing.

+1

A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by FlexHank
Congratulations to Casio for the marketing.

+1

Casio has already demonstrated this ability when marketing the "hybrid" Celviano GP digital pianos...

Page 23 of 45 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission