2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 237 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 236 237
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks Tyrone. My biggest concern is that I’ve not even been playjng for 3 years yet so I don’t feel qualified to do a review. I just don’t know enough yet nor am I confident enough in my playing ability to give a demo to a wider audience than here on pw.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by oneilt130
Originally Posted by Cheshire Chris
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
High up is a good place for the music stand. Especially for taller people, like me. Especially for people with degenerating disks, like me.

Not if, like me, you wear varifocals, where the close-focus part of the lens is at the bottom. I'm fine on my stage piano where I'm looking down at the music, but on my piano teacher's Steinway I'm looking straight ahead at it, and it's really difficult to focus. It seems silly to have to get "piano glasses" for one lesson a week!

Since we have now devolved completely away from the piano aspect of the N1X and into various sight related topics I will throw in my two cents. I also have multifocal lenses for regular wear that are a bit of a pain when playing the piano. Fortunately I also have a pair of glasses just for working at the computer that are single focus for very near distance. These are great for playing the piano.

Luckily for me, my piano is literally behind me when I am sitting at my work desk. I have single focus glasses that I use when working using my computer and the glasses sit on my desk. I only ever use the same glasses when playing on my piano. Whenever I forget I know immediately I try to focus on the sheet music, just turn around and grab my glasses.

I think you would find piano glasses would be of benefit when playing at home as well. With your varifocals you usually only have a limited area that is in focus and you may then also find that reading your music and when you have to glance down at the keys it is easier to get the information you need before looking back up at the music.

I’ve remembered that I do actually have a pair of reading glasses (which, since getting varifocals, I no longer wear). I’ll try them out for piano use when I have my next lesson.

Chris

Yamaha P-515, Yamaha Reface CP.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Since we have now devolved completely away from the piano aspect of the N1X and into various sight related topics I will throw in my two cents. I also have multifocal lenses for regular wear that are a bit of a pain when playing the piano. Fortunately I also have a pair of glasses just for working at the computer that are single focus for very near distance. These are great for playing the piano.

Is it because you find it still hard to read the notes at piano desk distance?

I use multifocal contact lenses for my presbyopia and find have found that they work great for reading music at piano desk distance. In fact, the only distance they don't seem to work is 0 to 6 inches. Mine are Air Optix Aqua.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
C
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
C
I always blamed my short-sightedness on the amount of time I spent playing the piano when young as it ended up exactly matching the distance to the piano score on my upright. Now I have varifocals, another short-sighted pair for the piano and a long distance one for Badminton and as an emergency pair in the car.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Is it because you find it still hard to read the notes at piano desk distance?

I use multifocal contact lenses for my presbyopia and find have found that they work great for reading music at piano desk distance. In fact, the only distance they don't seem to work is 0 to 6 inches. Mine are Air Optix Aqua.

Well, multi focal contact lenses may be easier to use than multi focal glasses. Never tried them. Multi focal glasses will have their own focal zones/areas, depending on the prescription and type of lens. If I use my multi focal glasses to work with a wide computer monitor (or two monitors) or to read a score, then I have to keep my eyes roughly on the same position and move my head around to keep things in focus at close distance. This Is not feasible while playing the piano because once I look down at the keyboard and then up again at the score, chances are the text will be out of focus. So, I have to use single focus glasses for work and playing the piano...

Hopefully the n1x owners will bring this thread back to the topic wink

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
It would be interesting for a current Novus owner to go and buy an N1X, so we can get a hands-on comparison (thread).

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
It would be interesting for a current Novus owner to go and buy an N1X, so we can get a hands-on comparison (thread).

From the other thread, jgbs is turning in his Novus and might be getting an N1X he says, but it doesn't sound like it will be soon. But the new Novus patch is coming in a few days. Either the Novus owners who are currently struggling will become wildly ecstatic, or perhaps others of them might trade for N1X's also - so eventually, their probably be some reviews by owners that have (had) both.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

When I win the lottery (which I don't play), I promise, I will get both. My forum signature will be adjusted accordingly. wink

Yamaha P-515
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoeT

When I win the lottery (which I don't play), I promise, I will get both. My forum signature will be adjusted accordingly. wink

JoeT, want to come and further comment on this old idea of yours? I've been using it BTW, and it works great (despite naysayers wink )

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
JoeT, want to come and further comment on this old idea of yours? I've been using it BTW, and it works great (despite naysayers wink )

I posted two long comments in that thread. HTH. BTW: Back in 2015, when I made that post, I finally figured out how to use a weighted action without hurting my pinkies with that light ES100 action. wink

Yamaha P-515
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoeT

I posted two long comments in that thread. HTH. BTW: Back in 2015, when I made that post, I finally figured out how to use a weighted action without hurting my pinkies with that light ES100 action. wink

My current bane is pinkies too! laugh

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My current bane is pinkies too! laugh

To avoid injury, immediately stop practice before it hurts.

The actual issue is not the key weight itself, but the key bottoming out, while there is still muscle activity.

Light weight keys amplify the problem, because their inertia is really low, so they reach high speeds with less effort, before being abruptly stopped again.

Yamaha P-515
J
J

As said Tyrone Slothrop I will probably change my NV10 for a N1X but not before early may. And of course I will write my opinion on the différences.
I owned the NV10 for 5 months and even if I change because of the buzzing issue that seems have no solution, I had time to appreciate the great quality of the instrument specialy concerning the action and feeling when palying.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

Now to circle this back around to the N1X it would be interesting if someone were to post recordings of the same music played with the CFX and the Bosendorfer to compare the two.

Well here you go! Back on topic. A few things to note about what I've done in this video. First, over headphones, the binaural CFX is a clear winner. So I wanted to try to capture what I hear when I play without headphones. So what I've done is placed a microphone about where my head would be when I play. Unfortunately I don't have a super music recording mic, but I used my Blue Yeti which I think will do a better job than what's built in to my Surface Pro. Second, this is not me playing. I wish! This is having the instrument play a midi file from the diskclavier archive so it is a) consistent and b) something you actually want to listen to. I chose this Nocturne as it demonstrates pretty good coverage of the notes and dynamics. I hope this isn't too "cheaty" I wanted to give a fair consistent comparison.

I have to apologize, the heater fan came on right in the middle of the Imperial and it sounds like it got picked up frown If it's truly distracting let me know and I'll try recording again and turn the heat off. If you are actually watching you'll see me get up and try to turn the heat off but the fan keeps going for a while even after being turned off. Ah well, you get to hear what is sounds like at Chrispy's house.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
When I switched from ES7 to a NU1X I noticed how hard bottoming the NU1X was but I especially liked that. After a month of playing it I went to test the CA78 and one particular aspect I disliked about it was how soft bottoming it was. It’s so soft that I can’t feel at which point the sound should be generated, so it felt very unrealistic. I’m wondering if that’s a trait Kawai also have in their grand pianos, hence NV10.

Last edited by CyberGene; 04/01/19 02:54 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Christy, nice comparison. I tried to do a comparison too but since I used headphones I realized CFX binaural is miles ahead of the other sounds. The other piano sounds are nasal and mono like, reminding me of Pianoteq somehow and I’ve already described that in another thread. Even if I switch the binaural (stereo optimization for other voices) off, it’s still nasty. I felt they are so uninspiring I wouldn’t play well a piece because of that fact smile I will record a comparison through speakers, on a USB drive though, simply because Bösendorfer and the rest are excellent through the speakers and I can deep dive into the music.

Last edited by CyberGene; 04/01/19 03:06 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Chrispy, what happened to squidbot?

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James

James
x

He was showing how he can change even after 30 years smile

[Linked Image]

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James

James
x

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2831600/re-username-significance.html#Post2831600

Page 18 of 237 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 236 237

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission