2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
45 members (Auraltuner, cmb13, Beowulf, 1957, Burkey, Carey, Bett, anotherscott, 9 invisible), 416 guests, and 383 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Affording a grand piano?
scottgreen94 #2831441 03/26/19 12:40 AM
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
I saw a coffee cup the other day that said "Love is grand. Divorce is 100 grand."

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
scottgreen94 #2831644 03/26/19 02:51 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
L
Just drink the coffee. Coffee always make one feel better !

scottgreen94 #2832411 03/28/19 03:46 PM
K
K
Any interesting tidbit - so I've been reading John Suchett's outstanding and addictive biography on Beethoven - he mentions that Beethoven once received a complimentary grand piano, from either Graff or Erard, I can't recall, and that his creativity soonafter surged - leading to his composition of a new sonata- I believe the HammerKlavier.....

"Play Bach constantly. That will be your best means of progress." -F.Chopin
swampwiz #2832705 03/29/19 01:13 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by swampwiz
[quote=DFSRN]
am 58 and have been taking lessons the last 5 years as a hobby after completing a PhD.

You got your PhD at age 53? I thought my friend had it rough taking 6 years to get his PhD in Chemistry!

I started my PhD in music theory in 2000. I'm now 53. I haven't really worked on it since 2003... grin I did another degree in the meantime though...

Last edited by johnstaf; 03/29/19 01:19 PM.
johnstaf #2832811 03/29/19 06:31 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by johnstaf
Originally Posted by swampwiz
[quote=DFSRN]
am 58 and have been taking lessons the last 5 years as a hobby after completing a PhD.

You got your PhD at age 53? I thought my friend had it rough taking 6 years to get his PhD in Chemistry!

I started my PhD in music theory in 2000. I'm now 53. I haven't really worked on it since 2003... grin I did another degree in the meantime though...

Johnstaf, You also sound like quite a pianist as well ! (playing Schumann sonatas !)

johnstaf #2832826 03/29/19 07:42 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Johnstaff, I found I like music theory. I had taken for two and a half years private theory lessons and then a couple of summers jazz theory, not in an academic setting. I never realized there was so much involved in music. I had taken 10 years violin and 5 piano as a child. However, I am better with the academics of music than the skill of actually playing. Especially in front of people, I forget everything I know. I can speak in front of 100 people, but have a hard time playing piano for one. My PhD is in nursing education.

My first piano teacher had a BA from Oberlin and a MA for the New England Conservatory of Music. He then went into computer science to get a good job.

Deb
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
Lady Bird #2833028 03/30/19 12:14 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lady Bird

Johnstaf, You also sound like quite a pianist as well ! (playing Schumann sonatas !)

That's very kind of you Lady Bird! Thank you.

I have to take a break for a couple of weeks. How fortunate to be in good health and to have my piano waiting for me!

DFSRN #2833035 03/30/19 12:26 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DFSRN
Johnstaff, I found I like music theory. I had taken for two and a half years private theory lessons and then a couple of summers jazz theory, not in an academic setting. I never realized there was so much involved in music. I had taken 10 years violin and 5 piano as a child. However, I am better with the academics of music than the skill of actually playing. Especially in front of people, I forget everything I know. I can speak in front of 100 people, but have a hard time playing piano for one. My PhD is in nursing education.

My first piano teacher had a BA from Oberlin and a MA for the New England Conservatory of Music. He then went into computer science to get a good job.

I think in time, the theoretical side helps playing. It can take a while though...

I was talking to a student nurse during the week, and was fascinated by the ins and outs of nursing. It seems like a lot of study.

So many people with music degrees do something else after college. One person I know retrained as a midwife immediately after she finished studying music. Another did medicine, someone else did computers, others became schoolteachers etc.

Last edited by johnstaf; 03/30/19 12:26 PM.
johnstaf #2833185 03/30/19 09:49 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Johnstaf, I coordinate a paid government Veterans health Administration (VHA) nurse internship program (over the summer) for senior students pursuing a BS in nursing. It is a competitive appointment because it is a paid. Last year 2 of the 3 applicants that were selected had masters degrees. One had a masters in agriculture and education and was a teacher, the other has a masters in geology taught and did field work. Surprisingly the pay was low for both. These applicants will start out making more as a new graduate nurse than with the years of experience in their professions. Both of those applicants are about 40 years old. I have read and heard about 50% failure rates of those that start nursing school and do not pass. I know for my PhD, 12 people were accepted into the program and 6 people ended up with their PhD. The dissertation phase is where most leave the program. My piano teacher now is master's prepared, he graduated at 23 and is now 27 and is looking to go back to school to obtain a degree for more job stability.

Deb
scottgreen94 #2833193 03/30/19 10:43 PM
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
My philosophy is to live debt free. I have saved and lived below my means my whole life, and have not one monthly payment. It’s refreshing. You don’t have to worry, or to overbill, or do the wrong thing for money, be it profesionally or otherwise like so many do.

That said it took me many years of study and work to afford the things I like. Still, I live below my means. My car (although expensive to start) is now 7 years old and I just I bought a 101 year old piano for 25% of the price of a new one.

Not having to worry makes me happy!

So Scott, be patient and live below your means! And read The Millionaire Next Door.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
cmb13 #2833288 03/31/19 08:46 AM
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
CMB and Scottgreen94, I read The Millionaire Next Door several times. I liked the passage (I think it is from that book) where the millionaires go to a high end party and the server asked what type of beer this millionaire wanted. He said first I drink what is free and then Bud. My Honda CVR is 11 years old with 230,000. This was only the second new car I had my entire life. Never had a car payment since my mid 30s, My husband and I don't value cars, but if I need one (when it dies) I can buy another one cash. I have been in school most of my life and worked 2 and 3 jobs and overtime most of my nursing career while going to school. I funded 2 masters degrees and a PhD I am debt free. I also live well below my means. Scottgreen, there is a book the Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey and a new book out this past January by Chris Hogan with Dave Ramsey Everyday Millionaires.

Be patient, invest in yourself, stay out of debt. Living like CMB suggested you will one day get what you want.

Deb
scottgreen94 #2833313 03/31/19 10:25 AM
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Deb and I have so much in common!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

cmb13 #2833316 03/31/19 10:34 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cmb13

So impressed you and Deb are both mortgage-free. I wonder what percentage of American's that own homes can true say that they are debt-free? Two big thumbs up - one for each of you! thumb thumb

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Tyrone Slothrop #2833353 03/31/19 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by cmb13

So impressed you and Deb are both mortgage-free. I wonder what percentage of American's that own homes can true say that they are debt-free? Two big thumbs up - one for each of you! thumb thumb

I also applaud those that are able to live debt free. We were debt free homeowners by the time we were 30 and owe it all to my late father-in law. He encouraged us to buy a home soon after getting married and cosigned for us with the promise that we would never borrow against our equity and always roll over all monies to a new home when we moved. Fortunately this was during the 1970's in SoCal when homes were rapidly appreciating and I had the ability to rehab them. After 3 houses we sold out and moved to the sticks and paid cash for our house. This instilled a desire to never be in debt and we have been blessed enough to stay that way.

Back on topic, If you can keep debt to a minimum you'll be more likely to be able to afford that grand someday. I didn't get my dream grand until I was 71 but I enjoy it immensely and God willing, I will for many years and pass it on to my kids, grandkids or great grandkids. All that interest I saved over the last 40 years, paid for it many times over.

scottgreen94 #2833410 03/31/19 02:19 PM
A
Silver Supporter until Feb 1 2020
A
Similar story to several above. I have a friend who is a professional pianist. He has a PhD in music from Stanford and is an excellent accompanist. However, after a decade trying to make a living as a professional pianist, he went back to a local community college to become trained in computer science and had a 25 year career in that field, working for a bank in their IT department before retiring a few years ago. All the while he continued to accompany performers, mostly local students, but on a part time basis. He still does. But he couldn't and can't make a viable income from music.

Boesendorfer 225 (1985)
Yamaha S400E (predecessor to CF4) Disklavier (1992)
astrotoy #2833499 03/31/19 06:14 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Astrotoy, it is sad that people cannot make it in music. A person could become a RN, accountant, engineer in basically 4 years of college. A person can't get in a music program with no prior training, generally from being a young child. These people dedicate most of their life to getting in school and playing music. Who does not like a great musical. I love the arts and my husband and I frequently go to plays from Broadway to supporting the local community arts. It is unfortunate musicians have a difficult time and have to go into other fields. They are truly underappreciated.

Last night we went to an Indian Restaurant, a pianist was playing dinner music. Really good pianist. Interesting I did not see any tips in the jar or while we were there people walk up and give the man a tip. We got there at 6p and left about 7:45p. The music went to 8:30p. My husband an I tipped him $50.

This is an interesting read Inside A symphony Audition.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/entertainment/music/2015/11/24/inside-symphony-audition/75478764/

Deb
scottgreen94 #2833505 03/31/19 06:24 PM
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Deb was he playing Indian styled music? I love Indian food - had some this Friday night. Our local place is great but they don’t have a piano - not many restaurants here so. Nice generous thing of you to tip that much!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

scottgreen94 #2833619 04/01/19 12:13 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by scottgreen94
I see a lot of people have grand pianos on this forum. How do people pay for their grand pianos. Do you have an extra 20 grand lying around or do you take it out on a loan or finance it?

If you have one what do you have and how did you pay it? At what age did you buy it. I’m 25 and live with my parents so I’m going to wait a few years until I have my own house.

I bought my first new upright piano at about 26 yo. My first grand was after all my children had finished school and university - and the house was paid off. My 2nd (current) grand, I bought when I retired from working for ~42 years.

Don't expect it tomorrow - but in the meantime, don't waste money on takeaway coffee or food, excessive entertainment, take budget holidays and don't waste $$ on drink etc.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
scottgreen94 #2833647 04/01/19 02:46 AM
A
A
Deb, thanks for the audition article. We know a young woman who studied violin along side my daughter in Suzuki classes starting when they were both 5 years old. They both continued through high school in the local youth orchestra. She went on to a major conservatory, switching to viola. She is now 40. She is a gifted musician and has held year long substitute positions with both the Boston Symphony and San Francisco Symphony but when the auditions came for actual positions she didn't get either job. She currently plays in a regional orchestra and some local chamber music groups. We talked about her with several members of the SF Symphony and they all said she was a wonderful musician and really nice person. But the competition is super tough.

Boesendorfer 225 (1985)
Yamaha S400E (predecessor to CF4) Disklavier (1992)
scottgreen94 #2833746 04/01/19 09:26 AM
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
The piano market is really a buyer's market, especially on the used side. I think, like any other major purchase in life, it's all about what's important to you and your personal priorities within your means. One might be able to afford some type of grand piano. If not a brand new one, then one can probably find a used one in some condition that they can afford. We have a large dealer in our area that stocks all kinds of pianos at all price points. They have new concert-ready concert grands on the floor for $180+k, and then they have small, used stencil brands for under $5k. Recently, I saw a nice 1960's Baldwin M or R Artist Grand (under 6 ft) for around $6k.. The black satin case was showing it's age, so it might not have looked too good in the living room of an upscale home, but it sounded pretty good for it's age . It needed a little regulation and voicing, but it was in decent shape.

I never thought I could afford a nice grand until I stumbled into the deal on mine. But now that I'm paying more attention, I realize that there are really a lot of great options out there on pianos if you're patient and willing to order your priorities in a piano and focus on your top of your list.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Anthony Hopkins / National Cat Day
by MH1963 - 10/29/20 09:38 PM
Passable new string
by LemonColor - 10/29/20 09:06 PM
Faure Improvization
by cmb13 - 10/29/20 08:45 PM
Once upon a time there was a real Gors and Kallman
by Lady Bird - 10/29/20 07:01 PM
Practice advice
by 3B43 - 10/29/20 06:01 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,484
Posts3,018,571
Members99,068
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission