2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
61 members (Carey, accordeur, brendon, andredatele, camperbc, 36251, chopinetto, 19 invisible), 585 guests, and 458 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: I think I figured out "musicality"
baudelairepianist #2833077 03/30/19 01:36 PM
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,864
M
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,864
Bruce didn’t say ‘get good’ or repeat the same thing as everyone else - he gave you good advice.

Never mind. In one ear. Out the other.

Originally Posted by baudelairepianist
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: I think I figured out "musicality"
baudelairepianist #2833089 03/30/19 02:11 PM
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 417
K
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
K
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 417
Originally Posted by baudelairepianist
I'm getting warmer though!

Oh no, that response was to rach3master
I appreciate Bruce's responses but they kind of boil down to "git gud".

I was kind of forgiving of your attitude because I thought you were like 16-18 years old. You know, the age where we all thought we had the answers to all the world's problems and could be very arrogant about it.

But the fact that you are well into your 20s and still have absolutely zero capabilities of taking constructive criticism or listening to people, in general, I find very worrying for the sake of the people who deal with you in your day-to-day life, and makes me glad I'm not one of them.

Your threads are a great source for amusement, but it's the morbid one, where you can't help but look away because you just can't believe how all that you're seeing can possibly be real.

I'm to a certain extent sorry that I place this type of comment on this website, where people seem to make it a point to show a certain degree of respect for others, but I feel perfectly comfortable writing this down because you lack any sort of respect for the people who help you and you'll not read any of this anyway because it doesn't confirm what you'd like to hear.


I've started playing January 2017, Nothing is too easy is where I keep track of my progress.

[Linked Image]
Re: I think I figured out "musicality"
Keselo #2833092 03/30/19 02:45 PM
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 13,922
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 13,922
Originally Posted by Keselo
I'm to a certain extent sorry that I place this type of comment on this website, where people seem to make it a point to show a certain degree of respect for others, but I feel perfectly comfortable writing this down because you lack any sort of respect for the people who help you and you'll not read any of this anyway because it doesn't confirm what you'd like to hear.

The OP isn't the first, and he won't be the last, who posts in PW purportedly asking for help or advice when in fact, all they're interested in is looking for confirmation that he's the bee's knees, the Fabergé egg, the genius who's solved his (and everyone else's) learning problems; and anyone who says things that don't agree with his own half-baked (actually, less than quarter-baked) course of action is an idiot.

But as we know, only an idiot thinks that everyone else are......


"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: I think I figured out "musicality"
Keselo #2833093 03/30/19 02:51 PM
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 124
B
Full Member
OP Offline
Full Member
B
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 124
"make these subjective changes based on the sacred score to achieve the composer's true vision" ~ ...reaaally constructive when ignores the limitations of a poor instrument.

I do appreciate the responses since it forced me to improve my method.

Re: I think I figured out "musicality"
baudelairepianist #2833096 03/30/19 03:00 PM
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 278
R
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
R
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 278
If you want to play just for yourself, then go ahead and knock yourself out. You can learn and play pieces however you want, whatever you feel like. If, however, you want to reach a level where your playing will actually be desired at events and gigs, then there is still a very long road ahead of you, a road which you will have trouble crossing using your own intuition and methods. Perhaps the best way for you to understand what "musicality" is all about would be to take an actual lesson with a good teacher who can work with you and show you exactly what you are missing in your playing and how to improve it. After all, you don't know what you don't know. Believe me, you will be shocked at the amount of insight a good teacher can provide into pieces, which you simply can't glean from listening to professional recordings, no matter how many different versions you listen to.

Another important aspect of "musicality" that I don't think has been discussed yet is the ability to LISTEN critically. This is a skill that, just like technique and sightreading, must be developed and honed, hopefully, with the experience of a good teacher. An all-too-common sight at a typical piano lesson is a student who plays a passage, has the teacher offer suggestions, and the student plays the passage again the exact same way, either because they didn't completely understand the teacher's instructions or because they didn't LISTEN carefully enough while they were playing. Yes, this applies even to advanced players!

Also, it would also be helpful if you didn't offer excuses every time we offer suggestions for your playing. I'm not sure if you're just trying to protect your own ego, but it does nothing for actually improving your playing, which I assume is your end goal? You may not have much choice in switching pianos, but you could probably at least get a better recording setup with minimal additional investment.

Last edited by rach3master; 03/30/19 03:07 PM.

Youtube piano recordings (classical music/video games/anime): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh9N3Xirs86USDQXE1WiwXg
Kawai Novus NV-10 / Yamaha Avantgrand N1 with Garritan CFX VST
Re: I think I figured out "musicality"
bennevis #2833097 03/30/19 03:04 PM
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 124
B
Full Member
OP Offline
Full Member
B
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 124
Actually I was asked to share my progress and method on here since I was able to figure out a way to avoid speed walls and memorize using a learning algorithm

alas it seems some of the people here are "fundamentalists".

Re: I think I figured out "musicality"
baudelairepianist #2833108 03/30/19 03:31 PM
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,864
M
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,864
Fundamentalists, hehe smile

Now I think you are trolling around and playing with people.

I think there are too many memes and sillies to be serious.

Still my favourite poster though !

Re: I think I figured out "musicality"
baudelairepianist #2833135 03/30/19 04:58 PM
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,085
6000 Post Club Member
Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,085
Moo:) :Yes!
Keselo :Yes!
bennevis :Yes!
rach3master :Yes!
pianoloverus :yes!

Twelfth Root 2
- Troll? The idea has crossed my mind.

I love this website. I have learned so much here. I love the friendly, helpful, collaborative, respectful and sometimes funny things people post. I really hate it when a poster spoils the atmosphere. Oh look! It's still possible to set your PW page to ignore a poster: Click on their name, click "view profile", click ignore!


Best regards,

Deborah
Re: I think I figured out "musicality"
baudelairepianist #2833139 03/30/19 05:09 PM
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 265
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 265
The comment earlier about listening critically is sooooo on target. My playing is improving slowly because I feel I am listening much more critically to the HOW of my technique...and anyone who watches the clips on my YT channel can obviously agree there is much room for improvement. With my current teacher, we spent 25 minutes in 1 lesson literally playing only the first 3 notes of the E major Chopin Waltz (Op 18). The differences were subtle but my teacher pointed out one technique in ensuing a smoother execution of this measure—-how I can play that B flat using 3-2-1 by placing the 3 on the top part of the key, the 2 in the middle part of the key, then the 1 on the edge of the black key. He suggested i imagine my fingers pressing lightly but firmly in staccato fashion vs just using a “plucking” manner which is what I was doing since I first learned the piece in my teens. After that lesson, I completely changed my approach to that piece..there are more examples of things my teacher is pointing out for my learning and performance approaches that is hitting me in that area of things of “things I dont know which I has no idea I didnt know..” LOL. I also am learning much better efficient ways to learn and practice..I am not knocking self learning or watching YT tutorials because they also serve a useful and informative purpose, but having that outside objective perspective from a teacher who can pinpoint things in specific measures and then suggest methods that yield immediate improvement is just.....phenomenal...I wish I could have lessons 2-3x a week because my progress would definitely be faster and feel painless.

Last edited by AssociateX; 03/30/19 05:14 PM.

~~~~~~~
My Practice/Progress YouTube Channel :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNj0Yha5exOWuJMTezV3t8Q
Re: I think I figured out "musicality"
baudelairepianist #2833194 03/30/19 09:57 PM
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 3,786
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 3,786
TINSSAAFL

Does anyone know that reference?

OP - you’re remarkably able to learn pieces very quickly and efficiently. It’s impressive. But the musicality isn’t there yet. I’m not saying I’m any better, but in that piece the L hand is very heavy, the playing is a little fast and robotic, the dynamics aren’t there - it sounds like the notes are more or less correct yet it doesn’t sound beautiful. You’ve got amazing potential, but I think you could use a little direction to take it to the next level. This is a journey that takes years. 10,000 hours some say. Learning the right notes is just a part of the it. Expression and beauty are equally important. In fact there are several components and I too fall short on some of them (eg ear training, sight singing) that make up a well rounded pianist.


Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: I think I figured out "musicality"
baudelairepianist #2833200 03/30/19 10:39 PM
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,218
P
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,218
This is a joke/troll, right? Too bad these trolls take up bandwidth and time.



Re: I think I figured out "musicality"
PianogrlNW #2833202 03/30/19 10:52 PM
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 9,824
9000 Post Club Member
Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 9,824
Originally Posted by PianogrlNW
This is a joke/troll, right? Too bad these trolls take up bandwidth and time.

I can assure you the OP is not trolling. He fully and sincerely believes everything he says.

The idea of trolling is also a bit illogical. No one would go to the trouble of learning Youtube channel full of very advanced pieces with Synthesia just to troll.

Talking about trolling, this thread over here has a higher chance of being a troll than any of the OP's.


[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: I think I figured out "musicality"
PianogrlNW #2833223 03/31/19 12:35 AM
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 124
B
Full Member
OP Offline
Full Member
B
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 124
Oh...I can see why this could be mistaken as trolling. lol

I was mostly addressing the people from a previous thread regarding the problem of musicality thus the confusion
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2828492/1.html

Re: I think I figured out "musicality"
baudelairepianist #2833238 03/31/19 02:31 AM
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 247
K
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
K
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 247
Hi James,

I have one last question for you:

If you really like to play music the way you like, why don’t you try to compose your own work?

Re: I think I figured out "musicality"
cmb13 #2833290 03/31/19 08:19 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 28,503
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 28,503
Originally Posted by cmb13
OP - you’re remarkably able to learn pieces very quickly and efficiently. It’s impressive. But the musicality isn’t there yet.
If the musicality isn't there then the pieces are learned. His recordings also show technical problems so the pieces are learned from that perspective either.

Re: I think I figured out "musicality"
baudelairepianist #2833341 03/31/19 10:26 AM
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,864
M
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,864
The e minor Chopin does not sound musical to me yet James.

I’m not sure what you were expecting James.

You say you have the secret of musicality but you post nothing about it.


One key thing of musical is the accompaniment should not overpower the tune.

I think this is a common problem especially in people playing Chopin.

when it’s soft in dynamic to control the piano is possible but this takes time - you are very wrong to blame the tools (placement of camera / piano)

This you should listen to, very musical.

https://youtu.be/aO5fLLHj55k

I am playing Schubert impromptu 3 which you played, again this has a similar difficulty of controlling the softly played tune over a constant accompaniment.

You are free to ignore all advice so I just gave one. You can carry on with your experiment 🧪 . Happy playing

Last edited by Moo :); 03/31/19 10:28 AM.
Re: I think I figured out "musicality"
Kenny Cheng #2833367 03/31/19 11:34 AM
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 124
B
Full Member
OP Offline
Full Member
B
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 124
I would have to learn to read/write musical notation besides AI already has to much of a head start
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GUYAVXmhsI&t=0s

Re: I think I figured out "musicality"
baudelairepianist #2833377 03/31/19 12:05 PM
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,632
4000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
4000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,632
Originally Posted by baudelairepianist
I would have to learn to read/write musical notation besides AI already has to much of a head start
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GUYAVXmhsI&t=0s


The music churned out isn't any good. I studied algorithmic composition in college over twenty years ago, and have kept reasonably up-to-date, but I haven't been impressed by anything that's happened since (from a listener's perspective). David Cope's stuff from the '80s is much more interesting -to me at least.

Re: I think I figured out "musicality"
baudelairepianist #2833380 03/31/19 12:08 PM
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,632
4000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
4000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,632
Originally Posted by baudelairepianist
I would have to learn to read/write musical notation.


You're a smart man James. It probably wouldn't take you a long time to figure it out and find with ways of using it to your advantage.

Last edited by johnstaf; 03/31/19 12:14 PM.
Re: I think I figured out "musicality"
johnstaf #2833416 03/31/19 01:40 PM
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 124
B
Full Member
OP Offline
Full Member
B
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 124
Use an app to train and memorize notes => use graded repertoire LH -> RH -> HT = sight-reading skill (level 1) unlocked ? This would take some time besides...

Musicality is just the subjective (or composer's suggestion) combination of
pedal / touch(staccato ~ legato) / tempo (speed ~ rubato) / dynamics
in executing a series of notes.

Yes I know you could dig deeper (half-pedal / portamento / harmonic pedal ) but at that point you might as well wear your lucky socks.

How to execute is the root problem regardless if I used Synthesia or sheets

destructure => {trial < goal > error} => success => slow-motion => amalgamate

experience would speed up the process through pattern-recognition
a major limitation would be the quality of the instrument itself since it could disrupt the feedback loop


also in 2034 you can just use a Neuralink B.C.I (Brain-Computer-Interface) augment to sync a midi-x file of the piece...and after it's transpiled into an A.B.C. (Artificial-Bridge-Connectome) you can perform any piece. lol

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Beginner looking for purchase advice
by savagekeys - 12/05/20 11:21 AM
Fazioli soundboards
by Withindale - 12/05/20 10:08 AM
Practice and resting
by Ubu - 12/05/20 05:25 AM
Strange phenomena....
by piano_primo - 12/05/20 12:55 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,279
Posts3,030,862
Members99,493
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers


Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads



 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4