2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 10 invisible), 1,706 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 237 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 236 237
R
R
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I discovered a totally unknown to me composer Sergei Bortkiewicz yesterday. There is a 9-CD set with the complete piano music on the streaming services. I liked a prelude which didn't seem very difficult. Played it last night to get familiar and recorded it an hour ago:

The piece explores well the dynamic range of the piano. I tried my best to play the fff parts but I think my fingers have always been kind of weak, so I'm not sure if I could extract all that was possible, plus I am a bit afraid treating my new piano badly laugh (And there's a final low and loud note that I hold for long so that you can see when the piano starts looping laugh it's not that bad and is barely audible but anyway, I know you guys love these things)

It sounds nice. Good playing!

You should also try his Op. 6 No. 1. It also isn't very difficult and sounds a bit like a Chopin Nocturne.

Youtube piano recordings (classical music/video games/anime): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh9N3Xirs86USDQXE1WiwXg
Kawai Novus NV-10 / Yamaha Avantgrand N1 with Garritan CFX VST
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Does 'familiarization" for a single evening include memorization? Because am I seeing wrong that you are playing without a score on your music rest? Count me impressed! thumb

The N1X is a grand piano form-factor, the scores are a bit high, they are not visible in the video laugh BTW, that's a point I'm still deciding whether a cons or a pros. The higher positioning of the note rest is good for me since I'm relatively tall and so the scores are in front of my eyes. On the other hand I need to sometimes look at my fingers and that makes it difficult to move my head constantly up and down frown

(And why are you not cross-posting this/these piece(s) to either here or here so other PW members, who don't happen to be members of the digital forum, can also enjoy your pieces/playing?)

Not sure why, I've actually never participated so much in other sub-forums than the digital one. I've read a few threads there and it's too scary for me, people are so professional and good, maybe I'm afraid of being too harshly dismissed laugh People are obsessed with the quality of every single note, which is entirely right, but I'm not sure I am that good frown

Originally Posted by rach3master
It sounds nice. Good playing!

You should also try his Op. 6 No. 1. It also isn't very difficult and sounds a bit like a Chopin Nocturne.

Yes, I've listened through a lot of his music, it's a mix between Chopin, Rachmaninov and Scriabin! BTW, it's a strange coincidence, my mother in law, who's a piano teacher, saw my video and said I should also try the Op.6 No.1 laugh Well, seems like a logical choice, thank you!

Last edited by CyberGene; 03/28/19 04:33 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

(And why are you not cross-posting this/these piece(s) to either here or here so other PW members, who don't happen to be members of the digital forum, can also enjoy your pieces/playing?)

Not sure why, I've actually never participated so much in other sub-forums than the digital one. I've read a few threads there and it's too scary for me, people are so professional and good, maybe I'm afraid of being too harshly dismissed laugh People are obsessed with the quality of every single note, which is entirely right, but I'm not sure I am that good frown

You are!!! Don't be so self-critical! You're pieces are definitely worth listening to and can give pleasure. And having listened to many of the pieces posted by others, I think yours would fit right in. Why don't you do a little test post and see what feedback you get smile thumb

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Does 'familiarization" for a single evening include memorization? Because am I seeing wrong that you are playing without a score on your music rest? Count me impressed! thumb

The N1X is a grand piano form-factor, the scores are a bit high, they are not visible in the video laugh BTW, that's a point I'm still deciding whether a cons or a pros. The higher positioning of the note rest is good for me since I'm relatively tall and so the scores are in front of my eyes. On the other hand I need to sometimes look at my fingers and that makes it difficult to move my head constantly up and down frown

I had the same issue when I got the NV10. You'll get used to it and it will then feel absolutely normal. Looking up/down between score and fingers won't be a problem either. Well, at least that's how it was for me...

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoBert

I had the same issue when I got the NV10. You'll get used to it and it will then feel absolutely normal. Looking up/down between score and fingers won't be a problem either. Well, at least that's how it was for me...

That's good to know. I am already getting used to it, it doesn't bother me as during the first days. Previously on the NU1X there was another problem with the low positioning: the open note rest with scores on it would get in the way of my hands smile

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Moving from grands to uprights, I've had the opposite experience. It's amazing how much more I can concentrate on the score and my fingers due to the close distance and low height of the upright music rest. It is what it is, and on the grands it helps if you focus on your posture as well.

My wife noticed this too, she has taken to holding the lesson book on front of the fallboard for my daughter while she is practicing smirk

Talk about our first world problems, eh?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Moving from grands to uprights, I've had the opposite experience. It's amazing how much more I can concentrate on the score and my fingers due to the close distance and low height of the upright music rest. It is what it is, and on the grands it helps if you focus on your posture as well.

My wife noticed this too, she has taken to holding the lesson book on front of the fallboard for my daughter while she is practicing smirk

Talk about our first world problems, eh?

As every other minor first world problem, this too has been solved (in contrast to the major first world problems wink):
https://www.grandstandforpiano.com/

Kawai Novus NV10
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Good God man.... Have you no decency?! You post that kind of thing in a public forum?

If my wife ever sees that, I'll be forced to buy that abomination. Edit your post!

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Wow! A piece of plastic for $150. Such a bargain. smile

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Well, there's a niche, you can make them and sell them for $100 wink

D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by JoBert

As every other minor first world problem, this too has been solved (in contrast to the major first world problems wink):
https://www.grandstandforpiano.com/

Why is my first impulse, "cool, I need one of those"?

Originally Posted by MacMacMac

shocked

I don't need one that bad.

God Bless,
David

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by David B

I don't need one that bad.

Same. I can get access to all of raw materials, Glowforge and X-Carve for way less than that.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Gombessa

Same. I can get access to all of raw materials, Glowforge and X-Carve for way less than that.

I was thinking how I can build one out of wood and paint it gloss black. I can put felt on the contact points and it would probably cost less than 20 dollars.

God Bless,
David

Last edited by David B; 03/28/19 12:40 PM.
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by David B

I was thinking how I can build one out of wood and paint it gloss black. I can put felt on the contact points and it would probably cost less than 20 dollars.

God Bless,
David

My thoughts exactly (especially the felt to protect the finish). And I think adjustments can be made to account for the non-adjustable nature of the music rests on the NV10/N1X so that it's not quite as slanted back.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Don't they make clear-plastic clipboards?
Do they make one oversized, like the music desk in question?
If so ... Office Depot could become our musical supply house.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Geez, I should make one and sell it for $75, I think I'd still be making $65 profit!

And, as with CyberGene, I'm also tall and the higher music rest is just what the doctor ordered. Literally, well at least the physical therapist, I was having back pain while playing after about 1/2 hour on the CLP-685 where the music rest is on the fallboard. I had a video taken of my playing posture and it turns out I was subconsciously hunching over to read the music. My PT had me figure out a way to get the music higher. I wound up having this to put on top of the CLP: The Grand Stand

With the N1X, the height is just perfect where I can sit up straight and see the music and all my back pain is gone, as well as having to haul out the ugly plastic stand every time I want to practice.

Last edited by Chrispy; 03/28/19 12:48 PM.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Chrispy

And, as with CyberGene, I'm also tall and the higher music rest is just what the doctor ordered. Literally, well at least the physical therapist, I was having back pain while playing after about 1/2 hour on the CLP-685 where the music rest is on the fallboard. I had a video taken of my playing posture and it turns out I was subconsciously hunching over to read the music.

I'm 5'10, and the height of the music desk on a grand is usually fine, but it's the distance that's starting to get to me (and both the height and distance are noticeable issues for my 5yo). Most grands allow you to pull the music desk forward, but honestly I never bother to do so since it's not THAT much of a problem. But I still notice the closer distance and lower orientation on uprights is a benefit when really concentrating on learning new works.

If I rolled my own "Grand Stand" device, I don't think I would use clear acrylic. It strikes me as a bit 60's Space Age retro TBH. And I think it would look like there's some kind of jerry-rigged CPAP machine bolted to the piano...

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Well, I can see a use case for a very small child or for example the lady in the video. She obviously uses bifocal glasses so she has to tilt her neck back to be able to read through the lower part of the lenses. Looks uncomfortable indeed. She also doesn't look like the typical DIYer. smile
I can imagine that this target audience deems 150$ a cheap price to pay.

Kawai Novus NV10
Grand Stand ... only $16.95
Now that's a sensible alternative.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

You can buy a LED lamp at below $5.

You can buy the same LED lamp as a "piano music stand lamp" at up to $500.

Yamaha P-515
Page 16 of 237 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 236 237

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission