2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 6 invisible), 1,286 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
[Linked Image]

The recommendations on the box (I've got a little bit another model - DT990 2005 edition) tell that 250 Om is the best for hi-fi devices. While 600 Om for hi-end. So, I think that no DPs, including the best hybrids, are matching hi-end level. Hope that it reaches hi-fi, at least. Cause, as I read in one article, 60%-70% of DP's price is keyboard. 15-20% for cabinet and speakers. If you have 1500$ DP, it's only 150-300$ left for DAC, processor and all the digital stuff. So, it'll be good if it's a little bit better than in mediocre smartphone.
So, what do you think, friends? Can digital pianos be considered as hi-fi sound sources? Or it depends upon the model, may be?

P.S.: I bought 250 Om headphones for my previous DP Roland FP90. Ordered LX-706 recently.

Last edited by PianoStartsAt33; 03/27/19 10:30 AM.

If you wonder what may happen if you start learning piano as an adult (at the age of 33, for example) - subscribe my channel and let's find this out together:)
YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
That's not really what it says.
It's not "these phones are the best for high-end systems".
It's "you probably need a high-end system to get these phones to work properly".

Regarding your question: "Can digital pianos be considered as hi-fi sound sources?"
The proper question is "Can my piano properly drive these headphones?"

That depends on the headphones and on the headphone amplifier in the piano.
The only information given is that the phones can be bought in 32 ohm, 250 ohm, and 600 ohm varieties.

But that's only half of the headphone story. The other half is: What's the sensitivity of these phones? It doesn't say. (But their web page might tell you.)

Then there's the other half of the story: What's the output impedance of your piano's headphone amp? And what output level is it capable of?
No one knows. The specs are not published.

Given that ... why does Beyerdynamic offer these (and other) phones at two or three Z values? It confuses the uninitiated, and does little for the initiated.
The other makers offer multiple Z choices less often (or not at all). Bravo to them.

Conclusions:

1. You cannot reach an analytical conclusion given that you're lacking most of the necessary information.

2. The best you can do is go by some general guidelines.
- - a. The 32 ohm phones will work. With any piano.
- - b. The 250 ohm phones might work, but it's possible you'll need an outboard headphone amp. You can only find out by trying for yourself ... or by finding someone else who already has.
- - c. The 600 ohm phones likely will not work unless you add an outboard headphone amp.

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Oh, I see.... Thank you, MacMacMac!

If you wonder what may happen if you start learning piano as an adult (at the age of 33, for example) - subscribe my channel and let's find this out together:)
YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
The main piece of data missing is the voltage gain at the headphone jack. As MacMacMac points out, you can find additional data on the headphones online and the critical other piece of data you need on the headphones in addition to impedance is sensitivity. With impedance, sensitivity, and voltage gain at the headphone jack, you would have all you need to determine what maximum sound pressure in dB the piano could drive your headphones to.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I say bravo to BD for offering multiple impedances more often than the others.

Greg.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission