2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
36 members (Almar, David Boyce, Boboulus, crazyRyoga, Beowulf, David B, bohemiatotal, 8 invisible), 517 guests, and 529 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Rock School Breakdown?
#2831688 03/26/19 04:07 PM
OP Offline
This is only my second post and I am an absolute beginner. (forgive me if this is an old worn out path but none of my searches turned up much)

It sounds like its exactly what I'm looking for. But if I mention anything that is false I hope the experts can correct me. Here's what I think I know:

1) It is based in the UK. I live in the US but travel. Will be in the UK this summer for a month.
2) They have testing centers, mostly throughout the UK and Ireland.
3) There are 3 centers in the US, I think Nashville, LA and NY.
4) It seems to be somewhat like a rock version of RCM or ABRSM etc.
5) It is more geared for people like myself that want the discipline, structure and goal setting to help instill practice while focusing on rock music instead of classical.
6) The testing levels run from debut through grade 8 or level 8?

Thats it for now. I may have just scratched the surface or painted a fairly detailed picture. Either way please let me know.

I will be under the guidance of an instructor the whole way. Or at least that is my intention.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Rock School Breakdown?
stevechris #2831698 03/26/19 04:28 PM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Is this what you have in mind?

https://www.trinityrock.com/instruments/keyboards/initial

On second thoughts, this might be what you're looking at:

https://www.rslawards.com/rockschool/graded-exams/piano/

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
stevechris #2831700 03/26/19 04:37 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I remember Paul McCartney setting up a rock music school, years and years ago and thought it strange for 2 reasons;

1 Rock music isn't taught; you either have it and develop it, or you don't. You can't teach someone individuality according to a set of rules. Rock is about breaking rules of conformity not creating them.

2 Sir Paul doesn't conform to my idea of a rock musician . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
peterws #2831707 03/26/19 05:12 PM
B
B
Originally Posted by peterws
I remember Paul McCartney setting up a rock music school, years and years ago and thought it strange for 2 reasons;

1 Rock music isn't taught; you either have it and develop it, or you don't. You can't teach someone individuality according to a set of rules. Rock is about breaking rules of conformity not creating them.

Yes, it does seem odd to me - students (& their teachers?) don't want to conform to classical standards yet want to conform to specific "rock standards".......set by what kind of authority?

BTW, the ABRSM jazz syllabus also seems very strange to me - jazzers don't even agree among themselves what jazz really is, and when does jazz cross over to pop or other genres.

Whereas with classical, the remarkable similarity in required standards between ABRSM, Trinity, RCM and AMEB in three different countries attest that everyone knows what classical is all about (even allowing for the fact that those syllabi do allow for the odd pop arrangement to creep into the lower grades, likely as a sop to those students who baulk at nothing but purely original piano/keyboard music......)

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
stevechris #2831710 03/26/19 05:25 PM
OP Offline
Right after I posted it occurred to me that I meant to write "popular" music as opposed to "rock".

bennevis #2831711 03/26/19 05:29 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by bennevis

On second thoughts, this might be what you're looking at:

https://www.rslawards.com/rockschool/graded-exams/piano/

Yes this is the one. I read it all the other day as well as the 2019 syllabus. But I was hoping to hear from folks with some hands on experience.

stevechris #2831714 03/26/19 05:37 PM
Seems to be something that a lot of musical instrument shops here in the UK are associated with. There are two or three shops near me that advertise musical tuition with “Rockschool” certification in piano, keyboard, guitar, drums, etc.

Chris

Yamaha P-515, Yamaha Reface CP.
peterws #2831741 03/26/19 07:30 PM
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I read it many times, blues isn't taught, jazz isn't taught, rock isn't taught, you either have it or not. I disagree, music can be learn no matter how good you are and what form it takes. You need passion, listen to a lot of music and a good master to imitate.
Originally Posted by peterws

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

Serge88 #2831746 03/26/19 07:46 PM
B
B
Originally Posted by Serge88

You need passion, listen to a lot of music and a good master to imitate.

That's it exactly.

You learn by lots of listening and imitating.

Not by formal teaching. Who wants pop, rock & jazz to be bound by rules as to what is acceptable? And who is to judge what is or isn't good?

stevechris #2831751 03/26/19 08:07 PM
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
You become a good musician by following the rule of the 4 chords song and you become a rock star by breaking the law.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

stevechris #2831766 03/26/19 09:01 PM
OP Offline
Uh oh, I been hijacked!

stevechris #2831779 03/26/19 09:36 PM
stevechris,
I’m barely 7 months in. So I can’t really comment on how effective the RockSchool’s syllabus is. But I’ll share with you a beginner’s perspective smile

A few years ago, I tried exactly what is being recommended here for learning to play popular music. Listen a lot and try to imitate. However, my enthusiasm couldn’t transfer to my playing at all, as I could not figure out anything properly. Even after days and days of trying. Perhaps I’d have made some progress, if I continued. But I had no real idea of what all needed to be learnt. In the frustration, motivation was the first thing to go. And discipline, the second.

I wish I had the good sense of looking out for a suitable teacher or a structured program at that time. Years later, I again wanted to learn, but this time not necessarily popular music. Still couldn’t figure out anything properly. However, I found a teacher, and joined a group class of sorts (this suits my budget and schedule). He does coach for regular Trinity exams as well as Trinity Rock & Pop for keyboard. Not me, but his other students who are interested.

I think it’s commendable that you are looking for a structured, goal based program from the get-go. Hopefully, you’ll be successful in finding an instructor who is aligned with your thought process. Good luck thumb

Think Twice, Play Once
stevechris #2831819 03/27/19 02:40 AM
R
R
Hi SteveChris,

I am up to Grade 3 on RockSchool, adult learner, and it is an excellent course for popular music. Covers all sorts of styles, not just rock as discussed above. Read the notes on pieces. Blues, boogie-woogie, rock, pop, gospel, and more! Our son did Rockshool grade 8 in parallel with his ABRSM diploma work. He was so happy to broaden his repertoire this way.

Suggest you just dive in and get going. You can buy earlier syllabus books with all original RockSchool pieces to augment the current online/latest offering. A billion times better than playing those boring old stuff that most course books offer. Oh Suzanna, give me a break!! smile

Last edited by RichardHK; 03/27/19 02:41 AM.
stevechris #2831833 03/27/19 03:55 AM
OP Offline
Thank you Tech-key and Richard. That's what I was hoping to hear.

RichardHK #2831835 03/27/19 03:58 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by RichardHK
Hi SteveChris,

I am up to Grade 3 on RockSchool, adult learner, and it is an excellent course for popular music. Covers all sorts of styles, not just rock as discussed above. Read the notes on pieces. Blues, boogie-woogie, rock, pop, gospel, and more! Our son did Rockshool grade 8 in parallel with his ABRSM diploma work. He was so happy to broaden his repertoire this way.

Suggest you just dive in and get going. You can buy earlier syllabus books with all original RockSchool pieces to augment the current online/latest offering. A billion times better than playing those boring old stuff that most course books offer. Oh Suzanna, give me a break!! smile

Richard, is my assessment correct then? Is there more or less to it? Also, are you in the UK? Were tests Debut, grade 1 and 2 difficult? Any light you can shed would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM if that works better.

stevechris #2831842 03/27/19 04:40 AM
R
R
Originally Posted by stevechris
Richard, is my assessment correct then? Is there more or less to it? Also, are you in the UK? Were tests Debut, grade 1 and 2 difficult? Any light you can shed would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM if that works better.

Yes, your assessment is fine, except as you noted you should have said 'popular music' and not rock.

I am in Hong Kong where Trinity and ABRSM is strong, so exams are held here too. My son went through RockSchool exams at top end and just like classical ABRSM in form. I am not bothering with exams as self-taught, and manage my own progression following the RockSchool syllabus. As I noted elsewhere I am adding classical and other popular pieces I like from TomPlay.com which has Easy/Intermediate/Advanced arrangements of 1,000s of pieces. So not at a loss as what to play. Pieces like Love Story, Albinoni's Adagio, Beethoven's 7th, Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance, Phantom of the Opera, and so on.

Although not doing the exams myself, the tests are certainly at a suitable standard and you need to demonstrate skills in playing, sight reading, scales, etc. All in the book. The RockSchool pieces are enjoyable to play and will push you in the right direction to match any classically trained piano player in my view. I have RockSchool books up to Grade 8 and have studied ahead. Bohemian Rhapsody for Grade 8 currently is one helluva long complex piece!!

Last edited by RichardHK; 03/27/19 04:42 AM.
RichardHK #2831851 03/27/19 05:18 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by RichardHK
Originally Posted by stevechris

Yes, your assessment is fine, except as you noted you should have said 'popular music' and not rock.

I am in Hong Kong where Trinity and ABRSM is strong, so exams are held here too. My son went through RockSchool exams at top end and just like classical ABRSM in form. I am not bothering with exams as self-taught, and manage my own progression following the RockSchool syllabus. As I noted elsewhere I am adding classical and other popular pieces I like from TomPlay.com which has Easy/Intermediate/Advanced arrangements of 1,000s of pieces. So not at a loss as what to play. Pieces like Love Story, Albinoni's Adagio, Beethoven's 7th, Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance, Phantom of the Opera, and so on.

Although not doing the exams myself, the tests are certainly at a suitable standard and you need to demonstrate skills in playing, sight reading, scales, etc. All in the book. The RockSchool pieces are enjoyable to play and will push you in the right direction to match any classically trained piano player in my view. I have RockSchool books up to Grade 8 and have studied ahead. Bohemian Rhapsody for Grade 8 currently is one helluva long complex piece!!

Beautiful Richard, thank you. Thats what I was hoping. Yes, the term RockSchool is a misnomer. I am not a huge fan of playing "rock" piano as much as popular and showtunes plus the classical pieces that move me. I am very excited to start my journey. I feel like I need the structure I lacked for all those years being a self taught guitar player. I was never able to master the guitar. I am hoping the RockSchool and a good instructor will be the difference.

stevechris #2978946 05/14/20 09:15 AM
Hey, Stevechris. I know this post is over a year old but I wondered whether you decided to use the RSL Rockschool syllabus or not? I'm thinking of picking it up myself as the 2019/2020 repertoire sounds really good.

Roland F130-R
stevechris #2979212 05/15/20 03:06 AM
A
A
Not sure if SteveChris will be back to answer this, so maybe I can add my experience with RSL.

I've used their books and am probably somewhere around G3, but in the true spirit of rock rebellion, haven't sat any exams because, dude, I refuse to be boxed in by your preconceptions of what's musical... Okay, maybe it's more because I was working through the pieces and exercises with my teacher until she was happy and as there isn't really a local exam centre. I don't use them exclusively and play other pieces that aren't in the books along with different exercises etc.

I think that they offer a really good way to add some structure into your learning as they provide a valid alternative to the Classical grades. I've shown them to friends who are doing the classical grades and they say that they'd have used these if they'd known about them earlier. There's also a perception that they're at least on par with the classical grades in terms of difficulty, so don't think of them as a dumbed down alternative.

I also used to use something similar when I played bass.

I'd recommend them. If you want to check them out why not figure out what level you're at and download a copy of the relevant book from the webpag ? For what they cost (around £15), and the immediacy of the download, you'll be able to see the value by the end of today and make up your own mind. You'll probably also want to find a local teacher who's open to using them.

I'd be a far better pianist if I spent the time I'm on this forum playing my piano instead.

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
iPad pro (2020) MIDI Output not consistent
by Almar - 01/18/21 05:33 AM
used Kawai RX-1 or new Kawai GL-30?
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 01/18/21 05:23 AM
Roland F701 vs FP-90X (?)
by Mulberg - 01/18/21 02:17 AM
Garritan CFX, Sustain Release Samples ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 01/17/21 11:18 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,350
Posts3,048,280
Members100,102
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission