2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, 10 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
Originally Posted by PhilipInChina

I work in Kuwait, am British but live in Bulgaria. So the name was obvious.

LOL

Jaime CLP-645
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
D
D
My username dates back to when I worked at and attend music school, a sax player friend gave me that nickname and it stuck. I've been using it for online music related things since I first got on the internet in the 80's. Yes, there was an internet before there was WWW.

P
P

My first piano teacher, Sheila, played multiple instruments, taught multiple instruments and musically was very talented. She was also very caring and never made anyone less talented than she feel stupid or bad for not having the same kind of talent. She was a good friend. The anniversary of her death is coming up in about 10 days, so I’ve been thinking about her a lot recently, even though she died 7 years ago.

When she died I inherited her digital piano and two of her cats. The digital is around 20 years old and starting to act quirky, but both cats are still going strong, even the oldest who is diabetic! And she still jumps on the piano keys when she’s hungry, just as she did at Sheila’s house. I’ve thought about changing my forum name to something more musical or creative but at the moment PianoCats fits and reminds me of Sheila.

Kathy with 5 cats, 5 dogs, 2 goats and a horse

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoCats

My first piano teacher, Sheila, played multiple instruments, taught multiple instruments and musically was very talented. She was also very caring and never made anyone less talented than she feel stupid or bad for not having the same kind of talent. She was a good friend. The anniversary of her death is coming up in about 10 days, so I’ve been thinking about her a lot recently, even though she died 7 years ago.

When she died I inherited her digital piano and two of her cats. The digital is around 20 years old and starting to act quirky, but both cats are still going strong, even the oldest who is diabetic! And she still jumps on the piano keys when she’s hungry, just as she did at Sheila’s house. I’ve thought about changing my forum name to something more musical or creative but at the moment PianoCats fits and reminds me of Sheila.

Kathy with 5 cats, 5 dogs, 2 goats and a horse

What a touching story, Kathy! Welcome to PW!

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
P
P
Thanks, Tyrone S! I’ve been a lurker since before December, and have enjoyed reading yours and other’s posts, especially concerning music repertoire. I’ve discovered more wonderful music here! I’m now trying gradually to come out of lurkdom and share where I can. Thanks again for your kind welcome!

Kathy

cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Hi Kathy! As Lt Slothrop said, we welcome you to the forum! Sounds like you have quite a few beautiful animals! I just have one labradoodle, and a beautiful Rag Doll cat uncle (my father’s cat) that I catsit on occasion. My labradoodle loves him so much, they play all day when he’s here! Please let us know what you’re playing, feel free to post to The Repertoire Vault!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I like PianoCats...there seems to be a lot of respect and love attached to the name.

Mine: piano ~ childhood dream come true
Performance ~ gotta learn to play for self. ❤️

B
B
I'm a guy who lives on Hawai'i Island, which is also nick-named 'The Big Island', because it is more than twice the area of the other Hawai'ian islands combined. So, Big Island Guy.

P
P

Hi cmb13, Thanks for the warm welcome and invitation! Animals are definitely an important part of my life. Prior to moving back to Virginia, I participated in both dog and horse sports and also fostered dogs and cats. Many of our current crew are failed fosters. Labradoodles and rag dolls are both beautiful! I’ve never have a labradoodle but one of the dogs I competed with is a lab, now 14 years old. We have several dogs and cats that are friends and enjoy playing together too 😀

I’m a rank beginner with piano so my repertoire is mainly coming from my method book and I’m still in book 1, lol. Besides my method book I’m also using two Denes Agay books, An Introduction to Classics to Moderns (Forty Very Easy Original Keyboard Pieces) and The Joy of First-Year Piano. Currently I’m on Handel’s Gavotte in Intro to Classics and Miniature Sonatina in Joy of First-Year. I have a book case of music books and sheet music, but much of it is above my playing ability.

However, I enjoy seeing what others at a higher level are playing, both for selections to listen to and also to add to my dream list of “someday” pieces so will check out the Repertoire Vault. I can see the book case expanding! Can one ever have too many books or too much music?! 🤗

Thanks, Kathy

P
P
Pianoperformance, I like the significance of your name too 😀

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by PianoCats

I have a book case of music books and sheet music, but much of it is above my playing ability.
I can see the book case expanding! Can one ever have too many books or too much music?!

🤣🤣 I have a little 3 shelf bookcase next to the piano. This is now where I keep all the hard copies. Anything new, something has to go. Thank goodness for forScore and iPad! Yup, I have loads of scores I want to learn. The digital pianist magazine creates even more material! However, we are using the magazine to select many of the pieces for my lessons/sight reading material/interesting reading material. This has been the best resource in my development.

There is never too much music, just not enough time 😬.

cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
As we have a cadre of new users, I thought it would be nice to revisit this topic...

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
E
E
I started using my initials online a while back because I wanted something where people couldn't identify me (I used my first name and middle and last initials before that). I realized after a while that I actually am still identifiable this way, especially since I put my location and really, how many people live here? I really should come up with a new one... maybe something cat related...

Many moons ago when we were still living in Western Canada, we kept a travel trailer at a private campsite on a lovely lake way up at the very top of a mountain in the Okanagan region of British Columbia, (aka BC) and when our kids were growing up we spent most summer weekends camping up there. I've been using this "camperbc" moniker ever since. (about 20 years)

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

- Casio (Casiotone) CT-S300 - 2020
- Casio (Privia) PX-870BK - 2019
- Casio (Casiotone) CT-680 - 1990
- Yamaha (Portatone) PS-25 - 1983
- Yamaha (Portasound) PS-2 - 1980
A
A
I kinda just thought the narrative of an aggressively mediocre "protagonist" made a certain kind of warped sense.

3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by enw10
I started using my initials online a while back because I wanted something where people couldn't identify me (I used my first name and middle and last initials before that). I realized after a while that I actually am still identifiable this way, especially since I put my location and really, how many people live here? I really should come up with a new one... maybe something cat related...

Last time I checked, 329,701,451 people living in the USA. If I was a statistician, I would calculate the probable number of people with your initials, but as I am not, I would say, thousands?

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
My user name is a bit of an inside joke. I used to post on a legal message board (mostly populated by law students and young lawyers like myself at the time) and there was a running joke about how law firm associates were basically expendible (ha, not surprising, who likes lawyers in general until they need one, right haha!). The board had funny user names, like Associate Y, Associate XYZ, etc..anyone remember that movie “Reservoir Dogs” where the characters are just named Mr. Black, Mr. Orange, Mr. Red, etc? I chose Associate X as my moniker and it stuck, so just opted to keep it going.

~~~~~~~
My Practice/Progress YouTube Channel :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNj0Yha5exOWuJMTezV3t8Q
E
E
Originally Posted by Animisha
Originally Posted by enw10

Last time I checked, 329,701,451 people living in the USA. If I was a statistician, I would calculate the probable number of people with your initials, but as I am not, I would say, thousands?

haha, I know. I took my location off after I posted that. It was more specific before smile

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Simple; my name and my initials. I’m not really worried that people will know who I am.

Kawai NV10
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ha, I'm lucky enough to have a name that, though common enough in my country, doesn't often show up on the internet. So I just use my name, I also don't care about people 'knowing who I am'. smile

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission