2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,424 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
K
Here is the original thread http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2829189/1/semi-concert-grand-blind-test.html

Here are the videos in the same order as those of the original thread. I had a very fascinating experience of the videos sounding different to me than the recordings without video even though I had all of the information and was part of the recording session, piano prep etc etc.

There were some interesting and insightful observations in the first thread and again, thank you all for participating. I will be very interested to learn about listener's experience as to whether their perceptions changed with seeing the video as opposed to just listening, as mind did.

Piano 1 - Steingraeber D-232 Piano 2 - Estonia 225 Piano 3 Bosendorfer 225

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I imagine Estonia must feel pretty good about this.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
K:
Interesting.
I guessed 1 & 2 but hadn't a clue about 3, which I liked best !
Satisfying, somehow, as I've always loved that particular model, some more than others, of course, but I've always regarded the 225 as one of the best pianos.
What is the vintage of the 225 ?
This test was fun.
Thanks so much.
K

R
R
Hey, I got 2 out of 3. Where do I collect the prize piano? smile

#3 was my favorite, and I liked #1 better than #2.

Last edited by redfish1901; 03/25/19 11:49 AM.
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Very interesting outcome. The Steingraeber is not really a surprise. I was not expecting the Bösendorfer although it matches my expectation that No 3 would probably do better (quite a lot I suppose) with a different repertoire. I was pleasantly surprised by the Estonia bass but could not care about the tenor and treble.

Thanks a lot for doing this and of course also to the pianist that put down a very solid performance, not once but three times (and with a very constant tempo as the performances match almost to the second).

Last edited by WimPiano; 03/25/19 12:20 PM.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by tend to rush
Particularly given the significant price differential between the Estonia 225 and the other two instruments. smile
Regarding the artist, Hai Jin…….."Jin is a D.M.A. candidate at the University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music, and she is the assistant conductor of the Maryland Lyric Opera. She is an active concert pianist, chamber musician and orchestral soloist and is a member of the Sassmannshaus Piano Trio. She has performed across the U.S. and Asia."

Last edited by Carey; 03/25/19 12:31 PM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Even with my eyes closed, the video recordings sound different from the audio ones, especially the Steingraeber. The video recording sounds somewhat muted compared to the audio. I wonder whether the addition of video makes it necessary to do more compression in order to transmit the data. Or is it just my ears deceiving me?

Great pianos, prep, and performances!

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
K
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by jazzyprof
Even with my eyes closed, the video recordings sound different from the audio ones, especially the Steingraeber. The video recording sounds somewhat muted compared to the audio. I wonder whether the addition of video makes it necessary to do more compression in order to transmit the data. Or is it just my ears deceiving me?

Great pianos, prep, and performances!

The Steingraeber take on the video is different than the one from the recording. The Bose might be as well. Pianist's preference. Also, I had to transfer the recordings without video slightly differently than the videos since you cannot directly upload a recording to YouTube and the Videos were not yet ready.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

I have to agree. Listening to the Estonia 225 was a real eye opener to me. It certainly should be on everyone's list to try when shopping for a piano of this size.

Rich

Retired at the beach
Grotrian 192

Anton Rubinstein said about the piano: "You think it is one instrument? It is a hundred instruments!"
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Thank you so much Keith, this was fun. So my favorite was the Bosendorfer! Of course.
The reality is I’ll never get a Bösendorfer and I will never play as well as the pianist in those videos. But it is fun to dream.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Just accounting for first choices among those who voted in the initial thread:

Steingräber = 9 votes
Estonia = 9 votes
Bösendorfer = 6 votes

Most interesting results!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
S
S
I'm happy my suspicion about #2 being the Estonia was correct,
Originally Posted by Karl Watson
K:
Interesting.
I guessed 1 & 2 but hadn't a clue about 3, which I liked best !
Satisfying, somehow, as I've always loved that particular model, some more than others, of course, but I've always regarded the 225 as one of the best pianos.
What is the vintage of the 225 ?
This test was fun.
Thanks so much.
K

That bosie looks like an 80s bosie to me. I never guessed a Bosie would be one of the three, but, in wanting to be right I used the pianocraft lineup to decide there was probably a Steinway, an Estonia, and Steingraber. I was right about the Estonia sound, at least!

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
My favourite turned out to be the Bosie also. I didn't have the courage to actually guess though wink The only thing I was confident of was that there were no Yamaha's or Fazioli's in the mix. Easy to say now of course...

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I favored #2; interesting that it is Estonia. The Steingraeber is different (more mellow) than the examples of the brand that I have heard on other vids. I like mellow, but I think--musically--the Estonia is probably easier to play (from the tone perspective).

Which goes to show that every piano must be considered as an individual. 😁

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
Very interesting, and thanks for this. I preferred the Bosendorfer and Estonia, which is a surprise to me. Never played a Steingraeber.

E
E
Keith,

Just wanted to thank you for taking the time to put this together for us. Most educational as well as entertaining.

1926 Hamburg Steinway R (home, rebuilt in 2015)
1986 Hamburg Steinway C (church, "loaner")
1902 New York Steinway D (church, rebuild pending)
S
S
Originally Posted by Rich D.

I have to agree. Listening to the Estonia 225 was a real eye opener to me. It certainly should be on everyone's list to try when shopping for a piano of this size.

Rich

Keith thank you so much for all the work you put into this very enlightening project. Jin's playing of "The Maiden...no4" was so instructional. Here's an interesting point: Comparing the Estonia 225 to my 210 on the same few measures of The Maiden, the scaling on the 210 is very different. The 210 is more focused with I feel a better treble/bass balance.
I'm usually very methodical with big decisions but I bought the 210 in an out of town showroom (with a plane to catch) after playing it for the first time for only 1/2 hour! The owner drove me in his car at breakneck speed to the airport. The only other major decision I've made at that quickly was when I first met my wife.....

Last edited by Sanfrancisco; 03/25/19 07:07 PM.
S
S
I wonder if the performer had any insights on the instruments?

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Keith, this has indeed been very interesting. Some comments if I may.

This is high level voicing at its best, the result of a collaboration between a pianist and technician where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. It is informed by the perspective of each, and moves towards a common goal. This can be an immensely satisfying partnership for both pianist and technician.

The best voicers are more than a master of technique and the range of choices available to them. I think they must also be aestheticians, whereby they search for the beauty that lies within an instrument (sometimes hidden), have the ear to know when it is beginning to emerge, and then bring it towards its best voice. And so the collaboration with the artist begins.

I hear an overarching tonal aesthetic that is common to the three instruments. Certainly a desire for a brilliant and clear treble is one of them. That said, I believe the individuality of each instrument has been respected within the work, and they do sound different to my ear. Each has a different set of strengths.

Of the three, I think the Steingraeber is the better piano, but not the best voiced. I much favor the bass and tenor, but find the treble overly bright, even brittle in a few places, and somewhat discontinuous with the rest of the piano. To my ear, the Bosendorfer sounds the most of a piece, but lacks excitement. The Estonia is a revelation in how good it sounds, "better than it has any right to be."

I hope my comments do not come across as negative, as I greatly respect the quality of the work you have done. These are deliberate choices on the part of the technician and the artist here. They are not right or wrong. And the ears of piano voicers can be as different as those of musicians. I say the world is a better place when we have this variety.

fine grand piano custom rebuilding, piano technician and tuner
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Keith:
Despite such wonders as the RCA Horowitz Barber Sonata and Cortot's Chopin recordings which sound so beautiful to me, in their very different ways, I believe a smaller sound is always easier to record, more microphone-friendly, just as it is in the vocal world.
Bosendorfers typically record very nicely and I stand by my preference for this particular recording (#3).
In a large concert hall, I think that I'd still want to play or hear a fine D.
Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission