2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 237 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 236 237
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
CyberGene, hopefully at some point (past the honeymoon) you’ll have the time to run a VST through the on-board speakers using the built-in audio interface; and then compare the results (in every respect) to the N1X’s native sound.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Months ago I tried the NV10 and thought that this would be the piano I'll buy when I retire in two years.
Now I'm beginning to wonder whether I should choose the N1X.
There wasn't one on the floor at Sam Ash. And I don't know of a Yamaha dealer in town. Gotta do some research ...

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Months ago I tried the NV10 and thought that this would be the piano I'll buy when I retire in two years.
Now I'm beginning to wonder whether I should choose the N1X.
There wasn't one on the floor at Sam Ash. And I don't know of a Yamaha dealer in town. Gotta do some research ...

By the time you do retire the N2X will be out and you'll be spoiled for choice! Hopefully by then the kinks with the NV10 have been ironed out too.

P
P
I'll be heading back to the shop tomorrow to try the N1X head to head with the NV10. I really want to prefer the N1X but I need to convince myself that the action really is as good - on everything else it is clear leader (bar the additional fun sounds the NV10 can make that are a bit frivolous for a serious piano smile )

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Just had an absolute "wow" moment with the piano. It's my first practice session in a week and some, and I'm getting more comfortable with the keyboard. I was just now working the Bach Prelude in C minor and around measure 19 the piano was reacting so differently than the CLP, it was "real." It felt and, most importantly, sounded like when I play on my teachers grand... the response was completely different than anything I ever got on the CLP, the N1X sounded alive and organic. It really knocked my socks off, so much I interrupted my session to come here and post. This is the longest period of time I've had to play with it so far and it's really a spectacular instrument. I'm so very pleased with the purchase.

Last edited by squidbot; 03/25/19 02:52 AM.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Squidbot, I know exactly what you’re talking about smile Cheers!

Last edited by CyberGene; 03/25/19 03:20 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
squidbot, isn't the N1X sound (engine) the same as your previous CLP-685?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Kawai James

Kind regards,
James
x

Even if the sound engine was the same, the perception of the sound should be different due to how the action responds. The same reasoning applies to the NV10 vs. CA98/78, which have the same sound engine but an entirely different action.

But in Yamaha's case there are some differences in the sound engine. First, the set of available DSP filters is not exactly the same across the CLP and AG models. Second, the text describing the resonance model (VRM) is slightly different, but that may be a marketing decision that does not reflect the technical specs. Third, and most important, the N1X has multi-channel sound output. The CLP-685 (and the NU1X) may internally use the same multi-channel samples but the output is not multi-channel but simple stereo (similar to the NV10/CA98/78 that feature multi-channel samples and output the sound in stereo). The CFX binaural samples over headphones should be equivalent across the N1X, NU1X and CLP-685, apart from potential differences regarding the headphone amplifiers.

T
T
hello,

i 'm trying to make a choice between an acoustic piano with a silent system like kawai k500 atx3 and and hybrid like the n1x.
For those who has make there choice, why did you choose the hybrid way ? what about the sound without headphone ?

i'm not intend to start a shiit storm between pro and against it's a true question.

thanks

You should really start a new thread.
Originally Posted by tblb
i 'm trying to make a choice between an acoustic piano with a silent system like kawai k500 atx3 and and hybrid like the n1x.
For those who has make there choice, why did you choose the hybrid way ? what about the sound without headphone ?

Not much N1X pricing history yet. I see, in the prices paid thread, one U.S. buyer paid $8268 including tax and delivery.
Anyone been quoted a better price?
Thinking about asking my local dealer, that doesn’t stock it, to special order.

.... Jeff ▫️ Yamaha P515 ▫️ Roll Tide
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James

Yes, it has something to do with the way the action works with the engine e.g. my comment "the response was completely different than anything I ever got on the CLP". I was expecting the keyboard to feel great on the N1X, I didn't expect how different the experience would be and how it would color the sound of what I played. It was always clear I was playing a DP with the CLP, I don't know exactly how to describe it, but you'd never mistake it to be an acoustic. With the N1X, if you had blindfolded me I would swear up and down I was sitting at an acoustic grand. I'm really blown away.

I'd suspect people have had a similar experience with the NV10 versus the CA98 for example, but I don't actually know smile

Last edited by squidbot; 03/25/19 02:31 PM.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
L
L
Originally Posted by percy64
I'll be heading back to the shop tomorrow to try the N1X head to head with the NV10. I really want to prefer the N1X but I need to convince myself that the action really is as good - on everything else it is clear leader (bar the additional fun sounds the NV10 can make that are a bit frivolous for a serious piano smile )

i liked the n1x when i tried it, but found that the nv10 was a lot better, especially the action, so went for that instead.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Unfortunately I never had the chance to try N1X or NV10 and compare them side by side. It’s still possible that I would have preferred the NV10 smile Which doesn’t actually matter because I like everything about the piano experience I have with the N1X. Even with acoustic pianos people prefer one action or the other. I think with hybrid grand pianos there’s already a realism achieved that is so high it’s only about personal preference and not so much about deficiencies, faults or anything wrong with any of the instruments.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Unfortunately I never had the chance to try N1X or NV10 and compare them side by side. It’s still possible that I would have preferred the NV10 smile Which doesn’t actually matter because I like everything about the piano experience I have with the N1X. Even with acoustic pianos people prefer one action or the other. I think with hybrid grand pianos there’s already a realism achieved that is so high it’s only about personal preference and not so much about deficiencies, faults or anything wrong with any of the instruments.

Indeed. A few days ago I tried the NV10 and N3X side by side (both with headphones only, so I assume the N3X was a good stand-in for the N1X experience). Of course I'm biased, so I liked the NV10 more smile but the N3X felt very good too. I'm sure I would be very happy with the N1X too - and I'm pretty sure the same would be true for most (if not all) of the N1X owners here if they had an NV10 instead.
These hybrids are simply a joy to play. (Anecdote: Over in the ABF there's this MOYD thread where people pledge to play the piano at least once every day. I feel that club is kind of useless for me, as I have a hard time not to play my piano at least once a day, for example when I'm travelling grin).

Last edited by JoBert; 03/25/19 04:12 PM.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I discovered a totally unknown to me composer Sergei Bortkiewicz yesterday. There is a 9-CD set with the complete piano music on the streaming services. I liked a prelude which didn't seem very difficult. Played it last night to get familiar and recorded it an hour ago:

The piece explores well the dynamic range of the piano. I tried my best to play the fff parts but I think my fingers have always been kind of weak, so I'm not sure if I could extract all that was possible, plus I am a bit afraid treating my new piano badly laugh (And there's a final low and loud note that I hold for long so that you can see when the piano starts looping laugh it's not that bad and is barely audible but anyway, I know you guys love these things)

Last edited by CyberGene; 03/27/19 07:59 PM.

D
David B Online Content OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D

The piece explores well the dynamic range of the piano... I know you guys love these things)

I do love listening to you play.

Are you recording the CFX binaural sample in wav and then inserting it directly into whatever video editor you're using?

God Bless,
David

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David B

The piece explores well the dynamic range of the piano... I know you guys love these things)

I do love listening to you play.

Are you recording the CFX binaural sample in wav and then inserting it directly into whatever video editor you're using?

God Bless,
David

Thank you smile Yes, it’s a WAV file on the flash drive. The only thing I do is to normalize in audacity the volume to -1dB since it’s a bit quiet. And then merge with the video in iMovie.

D
David B Online Content OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D

Thank you smile Yes, it’s a WAV file on the flash drive. The only thing I do is to normalize in audacity the volume to -1dB since it’s a bit quiet. And then merge with the video in iMovie.

It sounds really good. The N1X CFX has a very smooth sound and you control it well. At first I liked the Bosendorfer better, but the CFX binaural experience is really speaking to me. Every time I load one of my VST's I end up coming back pretty quickly to the CFX/Bosendorfer.

Thanks for sharing.

God Bless,
David

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I discovered a totally unknown to me composer Sergei Bortkiewicz yesterday. There is a 9-CD set with the complete piano music on the streaming services. I liked a prelude which didn't seem very difficult. Played it last night to get familiar and recorded it an hour ago:

The piece explores well the dynamic range of the piano. I tried my best to play the fff parts but I think my fingers have always been kind of weak, so I'm not sure if I could extract all that was possible, plus I am a bit afraid treating my new piano badly laugh (And there's a final low and loud note that I hold for long so that you can see when the piano starts looping laugh it's not that bad and is barely audible but anyway, I know you guys love these things)

Great as usual! grin

Does 'familiarization" for a single evening include memorization? Because am I seeing wrong that you are playing without a score on your music rest? Count me impressed! thumb

(And why are you not cross-posting this/these piece(s) to either here or here so other PW members, who don't happen to be members of the digital forum, can also enjoy your pieces/playing?)

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Page 15 of 237 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 236 237

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission