2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
I've just discovered Rockschool Piano syllabus and I'm wondering if anyone is going through it. I think that starting with classical music to build the foundation and than jumping into other genres is the best approach but may there are other ways. What's your opinion?

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Why is starting with classical best ?

I actually would go with your interest.

If you want to rock music and can find a teacher I would go for it .

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stef London
I've just discovered Rockschool Piano syllabus and I'm wondering if anyone is going through it. I think that starting with classical music to build the foundation and than jumping into other genres is the best approach but may there are other ways. What's your opinion?

If your interest is rock/pop/jazz/blues, and you have absolutely no interest in classical, I can't imagine why you would start in classical... unless you are actually hoping to develop an interest in classical, or you are interested in "piano as a sport" (because of course, classical piano certainly has more "sporting" piano pieces than rock! grin )

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
P
P
Alfred's Adult, and I believe most other beginner methods, have a variety of type's of music in the Level 1 Method Book. I think in the beginning (first 2 years) we should play all kinds of music to get a basic feel of what's out there and what you would do when you get to a basic skill level. I think on this forum the usual thing is 2 years of method books and they go into whatever type of music you like. Learning piano is really challenging, and the basics take quite a bit of practice. The only method I have seen that has a classical focus is Fundamental Keys. But they start off teaching the same stuff that's in Alfred's.

I looks to me like Rock School is a graded system for more advanced players (intermediate at least). Good Luck, lots of good info on this forum.

Progman
Baldwin Console
Long Live ELP
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Recently got myself the book Alfred's Basic Piano Library Level 1 "Jazz / Rock Course". The pieces in the book were written with a Bass Clef like Classical pieces. The Treble is mostly a simple 1 line melody with a lot of repetitions. The Bass is mostly single notes and some chords. You'd go through the same routine reading notes in the Treble & Bass and you get a few # & b added in because Jazz pieces go by the Blues scale even when a piece looks like it is written in C. Playing is not challenging since the notes are repetitive and most of the learning involve counting & getting the right beat than learning the notes.

R
R
Hi Stef,

I am going through RockSchool and it is certainly an excellent way to learn piano. If your interest is in popular music, then it is ideal as it covers a whole range of styles. I am also adding classical pieces that I like from TomPlay.com where you can get graded music from Easy to Advanced which is sort of equivalent to RockSchool Debut-Grade 2, Grade 3-5, and Grade 6-8. So RockSchool is not Intermediate and above as mentioned by another post here.

You can also pick up older syllabus RockSchool books/CDs for more music if needed. The older books had no modern arrangements like now, but still excellent and enjoyable pieces.

If you follow the exercises in addition to the RockSchool pieces you will not miss out on any classical-like learning needs.

RockSchool is far more interesting to use than most adult learning books out there. No boring old standards!

Last edited by RichardHK; 03/24/19 08:19 AM.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
From following the more recent posts in this thread, I've been getting the impression that this might be a good way to learn if one's interests are other than classical.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
S
OP Offline
S
I don't know why I think classical is the best way to start. Good to know that there other options and thanks for all info. I have new books to buy right now smile

Eddie Van Halen started by learning classical. smile

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by TomInCinci
Eddie Van Halen started by learning classical. smile

I recall reading that Eddie never read a note and faked his way through every piano lesson, playing by ear.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

I'm just using books of songs, like the two volume Cole Porter collection. I don't think there's a Cocktail Bar method book out there, is there?

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
D
D
Originally Posted by JohnSprung

I'm just using books of songs, like the two volume Cole Porter collection. I don't think there's a Cocktail Bar method book out there, is there?

Actually Amazon has a few Cocktail Piano books and there are Youtubes on it like this one from Bill Hilton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UkFi3vMsTs

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Stef London
I don't know why I think classical is the best way to start.

It's probably because classical music teaches us to listen more carefully and to pay attention to nuances that are non-existent in rock music.

Well, and technical aspect, too.

S
S
+1 Iaroslav
That was my reasoning exactly when I started, and still is. I have a huge list of Rock/Country songs I'd love to learn, but while I'm taking lessons in classical, I need every bit of practise time to keep up! I have a hiatus from lessons coming up in July, and I'm looking forward to indulging all my Rock whims smile
I know a lot of Rock songs can get complex...but many are not, and now when I look at the scores compared to some of the harder intermediate pieces I've been practising, I gotta say they don't seem so bad at all!

Of course the other awesome benefit is that I've been exposed to all this amazing music that I now love...it's actually all I listen to these days. For sure there will always be classical pieces in my practise regimen

I get the impression (and please correct me if I'm wrong!) that pop/rock playing essentially involves playing a melody with the right hand, and block chords with the left. If that is indeed the case, someone who learned that would never develop the motor skills for "proper" two-handed playing that classical training gives you, whereas learning the basics of classical piano does give you the skills to later transition to pop/rock later on if that's your thing. Also, can you ever really properly understand how chords "work" without gaining the theory behind them that properly learning scales gives you?

Chris

Yamaha P-515, Yamaha Reface CP.
R
R
Originally Posted by Cheshire Chris
I get the impression (and please correct me if I'm wrong!) that pop/rock playing essentially involves playing a melody with the right hand, and block chords with the left. ... ...

Absolutely not the case Chris. If you use the RockSchool course as discussed earlier you have to use all fingers on left hand as you learn. And more than a simple melody with the right hand too. Oh, and you have to learn more scales than typical classical training too. ; )

If other rock/pop courses only use block chords they are not worth bothering with. You may see that stuff in easy organ or keyboard courses.

Thanks for the correction, Richard!

Chris

Yamaha P-515, Yamaha Reface CP.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission