Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
85 registered members (Animisha, barbaram, akc42, astrotoy, Bett, 22 invisible), 802 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
KAWAI CA78 General questions for new user #2830674
03/24/19 05:58 AM
03/24/19 05:58 AM
B
Bobetski Offline OP
Bobetski  Offline OP
B

Firstly. Hello to everyone. First post.

My simple story is. Wanted to learn piano at a 'mature age'. Couldn't use an acoustic for practical reasons.
Tried many many pianos and keyboards/arrangers to balance whether I wanted to learn 'pure close -to acoustic piano feel' or make music with a fairly realistic piano sound but mix with other instruments in one unit. Finally narrowed down to the most unlikely few. CA98/CA78 or Yamaha Genos!! Reasons for liking Kawai GF2 over Yamaha CLP, Roland 7 or other Kawai DP Keys was they were quieter and least heavy/clonky of the set. My opinion as a pure amateur is open to question but it was my personal judgement that counted at the time. The decision process swiftly ended when I sat at a Kawai K500 Hybrid and played the acoustic setup. I fell in love with it instantly and wow, it changes to a digital when needed. Then my sensible head came back as to why I needed DP (and the price tag of the K500!!) so.....

I have a lovely new CA78 for 1 week now. Pretty sure I am happy with it at present.
I have it set on Light touch for now but Normal wasn't bad. I am learning with my wife so we have 4 hands mode set and light was a good balance for this for both players.

So to my questions as a new owner (and apologies if covered elsewhere but I did search for happy new CA78 owners but the curse of the forums has hit me and I can only see bug fixes and mods)

1. My keyboard is slanted slightly (viewed from above) and has a bigger gap to the frame at the bass end by approx 1-2mm. In other words you can see more of the green baize showing at the bass end and it tapers to nothing by the treble end) Is this normal or should I get it adjusted?
2. The 10th and 15th white keys from the bass end have opened small gaps which are noticeable. Is this normal or should I get them adjusted?
3. Has anyone found an off the shelf good fit glass screen protector for the touch pad?
4. Any good non-IOS Bluetooth MIDI interactive tutorials out there (preferably android or windows in that order) E.g. The mic on the flowkeys app is too sensitive and moves the music randomly so Bluetooth connection would be better (or solid MIDI to USB but this is less preferable).
5. Is there a User Bank to allow bringing in other piano samples that can be played ion the CA78 and stored internally and show up on touch pad menu ..not stored on USB etc..
6. Bit like car recalls.....Has anyone come across issues I will not find at an early learning stage that should be addressed now? I do have a 5 year warranty so do not want to attempt any home-mods.

Thanks for reading. If any other CA78 owners have any tips such as VST programs and Bluetooth MIDI compatibility etc can you please send/post links?

Beat Wishes to all

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: KAWAI CA78 General questions for new user [Re: Bobetski] #2830718
03/24/19 08:06 AM
03/24/19 08:06 AM
Germany
JoBert Offline
2000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Germany
Regarding #5, the answer is "no". The only way to "add" additional voices it to do so externally, with an external sound generator that is controlled by the CA78 via MIDI. That sound generator can either be another MIDI-compatible instrument (for example a keyboard) or a computer running virtual instrument software (VST/VSTi).
In both cases, the sound would then be generated by that external device. So to hear the sound, the device would either need to have its own speakers, or be connected to external speakers, or have a headphones output, or ljne-out output that you could then route to the CA78's line-in, so that the sound then comes from your CA78's speakers.

EDIT: I should add that this is is the same for the majority of digital pianos.

EDIT: Answers to #1 and #2 would be easier if you could post a picture.

Last edited by JoBert; 03/24/19 08:08 AM.
Re: KAWAI CA78 General questions for new user [Re: Bobetski] #2830903
03/24/19 04:12 PM
03/24/19 04:12 PM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C

Richmond, BC, Canada
3. Has anyone found an off the shelf good fit glass screen protector for the touch pad?

At a "Dollar Store" (Dollarama, I think), I found a 10" x 10" screen protector (designed for phone and digital camera displays), with a marked grid, for around $4.

You can cut it to size with sharp scissors. It seems to be just as good as the $20 custom-fit protectors -- I'm using it on my phone, and tablet, and no problems so far.

I don't know if it will work on the Kawai touchpad, but it's worth trying.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: KAWAI CA78 General questions for new user [Re: Bobetski] #2830979
03/24/19 08:14 PM
03/24/19 08:14 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kawai James  Online Content

Hamamatsu, Japan
Hello Bobetski, welcome to the forum, congrats on your new piano!

Regarding your first two queries, as JoBert notes, it's difficult to comment without seeing a picture. Does the instrument appear different to that of the model you played at the dealer's store? If so, you may wish to contact the dealer for advice.

Regarding the fourth query, I checked a few websites, however it appears that the Android version of Flowkeys does not support Bluetooth MIDI (from what I can tell...). There are some Android apps that support Bluetooth MIDI, however they are relatively simple tools such as MIDI file players etc. One way to look for supported apps is simply to Google "BLE MIDI Android" and experiment with what you find. Generally speaking, Android does not have such a broad selection of music apps as iOS. As for Windows, I gather that the music software itself needs to be programmed (or updated) to use the latest MIDI features implemented in Windows 10 Anniversary Update in order to function correctly with Bluetooth MIDI.

Regarding your fifth query, as JoBert notes, it is not possible to add user voices, however using MIDI and the Line In connector it is of course possible to play external sound generators.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: KAWAI CA78 General questions for new user [Re: Kawai James] #2831390
03/25/19 08:33 PM
03/25/19 08:33 PM
B
Bobetski Offline OP
Bobetski  Offline OP
B

Thanks for all the information. I will try and post some pictures. The slant in the keyboard layout is view-able more from above piano so cant remember seeing it in the shop. The only concern is that the black keys at the bass end are touching and compressing the red felt at the back of the keys whilst the black keys at the treble end are clear of the felt.
Is very noticeable once you find the issue (if it is an issue).

Last edited by Bobetski; 03/25/19 08:36 PM.
Re: KAWAI CA78 General questions for new user [Re: Bobetski] #2831487
03/26/19 06:34 AM
03/26/19 06:34 AM
Hamamatsu, Japan

Hamamatsu, Japan
Bobetski, once you have taken some pictures, I recommend sending them to your dealer for consultation.

Kind regards,
James
x

Re: KAWAI CA78 General questions for new user [Re: Bobetski] #2831533
03/26/19 09:18 AM
03/26/19 09:18 AM
B
Bobetski Offline OP
Bobetski  Offline OP
B

Thanks James

I placed some pictures in the forum gallery last night but not sure how to link. the thread title is similar to this so they should be easy to find.

I will also send to dealer as you suggest. thanks

regards

Re: KAWAI CA78 General questions for new user [Re: Bobetski] #2831546
03/26/19 10:25 AM
03/26/19 10:25 AM
Warsaw
P
Purrblast Offline
Purrblast  Offline
P

Warsaw
Originally Posted by Bobetski

1. My keyboard is slanted slightly (viewed from above) and has a bigger gap to the frame at the bass end by approx 1-2mm. In other words you can see more of the green baize showing at the bass end and it tapers to nothing by the treble end) Is this normal or should I get it adjusted?

Hello,

Congratulations on new CA78! It's a great instrument. I enjoy one myself a lot.
In my CA78 keys' ends are aligned with the touchscreen part on the left and volume slider part on the right. I can actually put a ruler against those parts and there is no gap and nothing sticks out either.

Re: KAWAI CA78 General questions for new user [Re: Bobetski] #2831654
03/26/19 03:17 PM
03/26/19 03:17 PM
B
Bobetski Offline OP
Bobetski  Offline OP
B

Thanks Purrblast. I will see what dealer says. It's totally playable but you can sense somethings not looking right. I added pictures to gallery with similar title ti thus thread if you want to look. Dont like red felt compression at touch screen end but hopefully will be adjusted soon. How are the gaps between all your white keys. Even or mixed? Regards

Re: KAWAI CA78 General questions for new user [Re: Bobetski] #2831669
03/26/19 03:58 PM
03/26/19 03:58 PM
Warsaw
P
Purrblast Offline
Purrblast  Offline
P

Warsaw
Thanks Purrblast. I will see what dealer says. It's totally playable but you can sense somethings not looking right. I added pictures to gallery with similar title ti thus thread if you want to look. Dont like red felt compression at touch screen end but hopefully will be adjusted soon. How are the gaps between all your white keys. Even or mixed? Regards

No problem.

In my CA78 most black keys just about touch the felt, but don't compress it (it's hard to tell exactly as felt is black in my model). Keys in the bass section have some spare distance to felt (like 1mm).

I've browsed your pictures. From the ones showing the sides it looks like your keyboard is slightly tilted. I believe the aim of the design was the alignment of keyboard and 2 control isles on left and on the right. Maybe it moved during transport? It might not influence the way instrument plays but definitely worth checking with dealer.
Here's picture from Kawai site. [Linked Image]

Gaps between keys look similar to mine: mostly around 1mm with some variations from 0,5 to 1,5 for few keys. There are also some slight differences in key levels, but its up to 0,5mm max. It doesn't bother me much nor disrupt my playing, however I wasn't delighted at first, as my much cheaper yamaha ydp-163 had no gaps differences and perfectly leveled keys.
[Linked Image] Even on Kawai site shows some differences in gaps (the line between F and G is more prominent either due to wider gap or different key level), so I guess some variation is normal for this model.

Last edited by Purrblast; 03/26/19 03:59 PM.
Re: KAWAI CA78 General questions for new user [Re: Bobetski] #2831670
03/26/19 04:07 PM
03/26/19 04:07 PM
Germany
JoBert Offline
2000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Germany
Here is the gallery Bobetski made:

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/galleries/2831395.html

My opinion about the slanted keyboard: This doesn't look normal.

At best, it was assembled incorrectly and the only things affected are the aesthetics and possibly the resale value.

At worst, this is the result of rough handling during transport, and who knows what other problems caused by that handling are still waiting to surface.

I would contact the seller about it, to have it looked at and fixed, or replaced with a "straight" unit.

The slightly larger gap between C4 and D4 is within tolerances, I would say. But if you get a tech visit for the other problem and he opens the piano anyway, he might be able to adjust that too, so you should at least mention it to the tech.

Last edited by JoBert; 03/26/19 04:08 PM.
Re: KAWAI CA78 General questions for new user [Re: Bobetski] #2831685
03/26/19 04:53 PM
03/26/19 04:53 PM
B
Bobetski Offline OP
Bobetski  Offline OP
B

Thanks for clarification everyone. I have sent pictures to dealer and will await response.

Re: KAWAI CA78 General questions for new user [Re: Bobetski] #2832617
03/29/19 06:55 AM
03/29/19 06:55 AM
B
Bobetski Offline OP
Bobetski  Offline OP
B

Can I just say a huge thanks to Amanda at Bonners Music and Keith the UK sales for Kawai for a swift response to my query re the slight misalignment of keyboard. After 1 day I got a call from both confirming a new piano was ordered which will be checked over, delivered and set up by a Kawai technician. The technician will then discuss any other issues I may have concern over before leaving.

As I may have mentioned the current piano plays nicely and the misalignment is the only issue so this is a very positive response and gives me confidence going forward.

Regards

Re: KAWAI CA78 General questions for new user [Re: Bobetski] #2832640
03/29/19 08:25 AM
03/29/19 08:25 AM
Hamamatsu, Japan

Hamamatsu, Japan
Hello Bobetski,

Thank you for the update. I'm glad to hear that you've been well looked after by your dealer and Kawai UK.

Kind regards,
James
x

Re: KAWAI CA78 General questions for new user [Re: Bobetski] #2832651
03/29/19 09:11 AM
03/29/19 09:11 AM
F
FlexHank Offline
FlexHank  Offline
F

Good resolution, but still another issue around expensive digital piano's from Kawai. Maybe coincidence, but it seems to happen more with Kawai than other brands. Makes me cautious.

Re: KAWAI CA78 General questions for new user [Re: FlexHank] #2832659
03/29/19 09:34 AM
03/29/19 09:34 AM
Europe
A
arc7urus Offline
1000 Post Club Member
arc7urus  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

Europe
Originally Posted by FlexHank
Good resolution, but still another issue around expensive digital piano's from Kawai. Maybe coincidence, but it seems to happen more with Kawai than other brands. Makes me cautious.

We don't have proper statistical data to back up that claim. Anyway, this one looks like the result of improper transportation.

Re: KAWAI CA78 General questions for new user [Re: Bobetski] #2832667
03/29/19 10:04 AM
03/29/19 10:04 AM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
8000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
Improper transportation? Maybe.

Improper packaging?
Manufacturing defect?
It's hard to say.

Re: KAWAI CA78 General questions for new user [Re: Bobetski] #2833729
04/01/19 08:42 AM
04/01/19 08:42 AM
B
Bobetski Offline OP
Bobetski  Offline OP
B

I would just like to clarify that the misalignment is noticeable enough to mention but not massive and the piano plays perfectly.

I expressed my worries to the dealer and Kawai re possible misalignment in transport rather than during manufacture.

The response was swift and positive and showed that this level of defect is not acceptable.

I took this as a confidence plus not negative.
All dealers need to make and move the product and misalignment or minor defects do happen.
It's how the company responds that matters.
There is a 5 year warranty on these pianos so, going forward, if there is the unlikely event of an undetected major defect, it will become apparent and dealt with
correctly.
Its the same when you buy expensive guitars and find minor lacquer defects etc... some will not bother reporting, some will..... but in all cases you want the company to recognise the value of your purchase and respond accordingly without any awkwardness of having to over-explain the issue.

That is my opinion anyway. The GF2 keyboard stands out as exceptional for me in this price range.
A perfect Yamaha, Roland, for example, will still be too heavy on the keyboard to play so no use to me.

Re: KAWAI CA78 General questions for new user [Re: Bobetski] #2833772
04/01/19 10:00 AM
04/01/19 10:00 AM
Europe
A
arc7urus Offline
1000 Post Club Member
arc7urus  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

Europe
...There is a 5 year warranty on these pianos so, going forward, if there is the unlikely event of an undetected major defect, it will become apparent and dealt with
correctly. ...

Extended warranties are of course very positive. But be sure to carefully read the conditions of the extended warranty that apply to your DP. The general conditions of the statutory warranty are valid for 2 years (within the EU). After that, only the conditions stated on extended warranty will be applicable. In particular, check if repairs to the keyboard/action due to "normal wear and usage" are covered...

Re: KAWAI CA78 General questions for new user [Re: Bobetski] #2834143
04/02/19 05:59 AM
04/02/19 05:59 AM
B
Bobetski Offline OP
Bobetski  Offline OP
B

Thanks arc7urus.

New piano coming Monday 8th

I did look at warranties for DPs as opposed to the more comprehensive warranties for acoustic pianos. Once I had narrowed down.

Roland had 10
Kawai had 5
Yamaha had 3

All same in terms of 1 yr covering all reasonable events then none covering wear and tear after that
All remain in tact for poor workmanship and poor materials.
The workmanship is what it is. Poor materials get harder to prove as years go by and wear and tear kick in, I have found.
I think this is standard for most DP's?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianoteq- system requirements
by Nordomus. 05/23/19 12:38 AM
Exercise Idea
by KenBakerMN. 05/22/19 12:48 PM
Used piano Yamaha YDP 223: $400 worth it?
by tiger015. 05/22/19 12:45 PM
Piano from Beatles Sgt. Pepper's Album
by Rich Galassini. 05/22/19 12:03 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,112
Posts2,830,615
Members93,387
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission