2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I see a lot of people have grand pianos on this forum. How do people pay for their grand pianos. Do you have an extra 20 grand lying around or do you take it out on a loan or finance it?

Scotgreen, you are 25. I could not afford a lot when I was 25, I was just starting out. Just from my readings, I would guess most of piano forum participants are older, well established professionals and could easily afford a luxury as a grand. They had time to wealth build. I do not know your profession. I have been a nurse for over 25 years and during that time I have worked 2 and 3 jobs even when I was in school. You may want to consider working overtime or taking on a second job for "mad money" then pay cash. Remember your number one wealth building tool is your income. Banks are mega banks because they use your money (interest).

Because you can afford it does not mean you should necessarily buy it. Be an informed consumer, is there an alternative to a grand? I am not a professional pianist my views may be different. I am 58 and have been taking lessons the last 5 years as a hobby after completing a PhD. Maybe there is no alternative to a grand for some pianist. The reason I ask, is there a less expensive choice? Baby grand, high end upright? I have a Yamaha YUS 5 that I bought new and paid for it when I purchased it. I researched uprights for 6 months. Take your time and make a decision, know what you are buying. My tuner that refurbishes pianos said that piano has better action than some of the baby grands he has worked on.

While you work on saving for your dream piano, until then buy something reasonable and pay cash. As others have mentioned there are good deals, you may have to look and wait for one.

Best wishes with your search.

Deb
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by willpianist
It's a matter for priority I suppose. Many people in the western world has a car. A Japanese grand piano is roughly the cost of a Camry and a German Piano is roughly the cost of a new BMW. For me it is a matter of not getting a new car and keep using the car until it dies.

Funny, but I had written almost exactly this, including the comparison with cars, a few days ago and deleted it before posting because I thought it sounded too aggressive, like accusing people of choosing cars over pianos. So I thought, better not say it. But you said it!

Since you were the one that said it, I can say I completely agree with you wink Everyone makes choices and sets priorities. Often when someone starts a sentence with "I wish I could afford XYZ," what they really mean is, I've prioritized ABC and DEF higher than XYZ, and after I get ABC and DEF, I won't have enough money left for XYZ. This is 100% fine, but just realize it is this.

If owning an acoustical piano suddenly became the most important thing in life - many more people would own acoustical pianos.... like they did in America in the 50's and 60's! grin

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by BDB
My mother-in-law sold her engagement ring to pay for her piano. The marriage still lasted until he died.

I once sold some jewelry to buy wooden German made recorder.
That recorder has given me so much pleasure.Much better sound than the plastic ones.
Retsacnal gives good advice.The grand will come in good time.In the
meantime make do with a digital or a used upright piano.

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Debt is not intrinsically bad. It should be understood, and used wisely.

I always advise against going into debt to buy a piano in part because consumer rates tend to be the highest, and financed pianos tend to be purchased at "full retail," so you could wind up paying relatively high rates of interest for something that's usually not worth what's owed on it. Cars tend to fit this dynamic as well, but a reliable car is arguably a necessity for daily living.

In general, spend as little as necessary, and if you need to borrow then borrow as little as possible and seek out the best interest rates possible. Debt can be helpful, but too much debt will ruin your life.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
You don't have to start out with a grand, There is many fine verticals out there. For a lot less money.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Some people do need cars, but I will rather take the bus to my piano lessons than use my piano money to buy a car wink

K
K
Saving up for a grand takes a long time - and so does learning the great repertoire - one need set long term music and financial goals ..... this is a long haul game

"Play Bach constantly. That will be your best means of progress." -F.Chopin
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Tyrone, I was also going to mention a car, the deleted it. My friends tease me and say my piano is worth more than my car. My car has 225,000 and is 11 years old. I don't value cars, that is why I have not bought a new one. I play the piano more than I drive. I listen to Clark Howard, radio financial talk (U.S). He discussed some keep cars 15 years plus and noted those that held on to cars 10 years and longer retire 5 years earlier than those that trade every 3 to 4 years.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a22815727/america-household-vehicle-age/

Deb
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I don't even drive. I live in a city, and never felt the need of a car. Assuming my taste in cars would probably mirror my taste in pianos, it's probably just as well, as I can't really afford an Aston Martin. grin

If someone gave me a couple of hundred K, I know the sensible thing would be to save it, but it would probably end up going to my piano dealer.

Last edited by johnstaf; 03/23/19 08:26 PM.
B
B
Being able to afford a monthly payment and being able to afford to buy something are two different things, in my mind. If one can potentially lose their job and still afford a payment, then go for it. If one can't pay the piano off in the case of losing one's job, then it is too risky, IMHO. I just bought a digital piano one week ago from a fellow who lost his job. A great deal for me, a bummer for him. He was lucky that I was in the market and could bail him out. And that was on a $1500 finance plan. A grand piano would likely be much harder to unload in a financial pinch.

Beardog
1903 Steinway A
1975 Yamaha Studio Upright
Korg G1 Air
Kawai KDP110
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Beardog
Being able to afford a monthly payment and being able to afford to buy something are two different things, in my mind. If one can potentially lose their job and still afford a payment, then go for it.

Sound advice that is relevant to any purchase!!

The way credit is used in the USA is a joy to behold, when everything goes as planned...……..

Last edited by Learux; 03/23/19 10:15 PM.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Learux
Originally Posted by Beardog
Being able to afford a monthly payment and being able to afford to buy something are two different things, in my mind. If one can potentially lose their job and still afford a payment, then go for it.

Sound advice that is relevant to any purchase!!

The way credit is used in the USA is a joy to behold, when everything goes as planned...……..

but sadly often does NOT go as planned...

[Linked Image]
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
My philosophy: Anything can happen in life, so better enjoy it as long as I can. If I need a piano to do that, then I'll do whatever it takes to get one smile

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Don't worry too much about looks, or age. Once you find what you need, make sure she is wealthy, marry her, problem solved.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by outo
My philosophy: Anything can happen in life, so better enjoy it as long as I can. If I need a piano to do that, then I'll do whatever it takes to get one smile

I must say that I feel the same especially after I had to wait for about 6 weeks for a CT scan a while ago to see if I had pancreatic cancer ,the results were negative but it made me question weither I needed to take myself,and the world around me so seriously..
Not that one should be careless but if a piano is what gives happiness one should aim for it ! Because it is IMPORTANT to you !

Last edited by Lady Bird; 03/24/19 02:41 AM. Reason: Missing word
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by PhilipInChina
Don't worry too much about looks, or age. Once you find what you need, make sure she is wealthy, marry her, problem solved.

Now that is not what I meant !

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by scottgreen94

If you have one what do you have and how did you pay it? At what age did you buy it. I’m 25 and live with my parents so I’m going to wait a few years until I have my own house.

Worked and saved.
I am considerably more than twice your age.

Learner
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Lady Bird, as a nurse for over 25 years I agree with you. Have fun, invest in yourself. I attend a wellness class every Saturday morning (not exercise) and discuss mind set, health, investing in yourself etc..... I used to run, due to a knee injury now I walk every day 3-5 miles. Purchase what is important to you responsibly. My point is, make those purchases within your budget. I know too many people that are over extended can cannot afford to take care of the repairs they have, thus are stressed due to fiances and poor choices. Maybe a grand later, and a nice upright today.

I am happy to hear everything was ok, I know that is stressful. A nurse I knew had to retire at 62 due to health issues, fortunately he made good financial decisions during his life, saved for retirements, and retiring at 62 was not an issue for him. However, he did not expect to have to retire at 62.

Always like reading your posts.

Deb
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
You also need to consider your ability to pay for having the piano tuned on a regular basis and for any repair work (e.g. regulation) that the grand will need.

Originally Posted by scottgreen94
I see a lot of people have grand pianos on this forum. How do people pay for their grand pianos. Do you have an extra 20 grand lying around or do you take it out on a loan or finance it?

If you have one what do you have and how did you pay it? At what age did you buy it. I’m 25 and live with my parents so I’m going to wait a few years until I have my own house.
Waiting a few years (and meanwhile saving for the purchase) sounds wise.

So you (your parents) must have a piano at the present time? What will be its fate when you move out?

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Thank you DSFRN ! Yes I am thankfull to be reasonable healthy.It was due to a scan done after after an accident that something purely benign was seen.But I had to wait all those weeks to find out if I was
OK. I am thankful!
So yes "enjoy all ye wonderful pianos while ye may"

Last edited by Lady Bird; 03/24/19 02:23 PM. Reason: Missing word
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission