2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,724 guests, and 223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Moo :) Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
M
As it was mentioned on another thread I was looking into what Hanon exercises were.

I actually have gone throughout my life having never heard of Hanon exercises before but it doesnt sound like music.

What is the general opinion of these books.

I used to have this book when I was a child by Czerny - I have lost it - but it was a bit boring.

I used to sometimes find an interesting tune in them.

Just wanted to know opinions as to whether it is worth buying another Czerny type exercise book to play through.

If you have these books, are these like technical type exercises only to be done with a teacher ?

Or are they are not worth it at all and better to stick to pieces .

Thanks

x

M
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
M
If you didnt know either, this is what they are,

Hanon exercises

x

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
My first teacher had me doing Hanons. I think they were to develop finger strength and independence as a supplement to Alfreds All in One. I still reference the scales section. Then we did some Czerny, they were ok but a little boring. At your level I think you’re better continuing with repertoire. The Czerny are snippets of phrases you’ll find in music but you are doing way more advanced pieces.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
M
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
M
Ok cheers.

When I looked Czerny has some more advanced studies which sound really good though.

I was not sure if these sort of things need a teacher though.

My concern if I did them myself is I would just be practising a bad technique.

Maybe I could ask about it in a lesson but wanted some opinions from others if these exercises are a rabbit hole or a good suggestion.

Last edited by Moo :); 03/22/19 11:47 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
If one goes to 2:00 in this video one can see that Czerny is not always boring but I don't know what percent of his pieces are this clever and as much fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H24RdWDD6rs

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I always think, Czerny is fine in small dosages wink (I have no experience of Hanon). So 10-15 minutes of Czerny to warm up can be great, but I tend to get bored with it after a while.

S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
Hanon is a heated subject. There are people and teachers that just love it and others that hate it. The value of those has been discussed many times. Pretty sure my opinion would not add anything new to this topic.

Czerny has written a ton of exercices and studies, opus 261, 718, 599, 453, 139, 299, 399, 365, 777 ............... The list is long. You'll find them all in IMSLP. Obviously with such amount there are a lot of redundancies. His studies tend to be quite repetitive. But many of them are really good; it is just that it is not very usefull to do them all in a given book but to pick selected ones depending on which particular skill you want to train, and they cover pretty much anything you would want to study. The point to understand is that they are not really method books and I never found any of them to be sequential. So to pick the ones you need takes a pretty good knowledge.

Anyway, the choice of doing Hanon and/or some Czerny has to be part of an overall training plan. Some people never used Hanon but trained using other studies. There is a lot of materials out there and there is plenty of redundancies so it is a question of making choices based on a teaching method. I wont' give you any advice as I am not yout teacher. But for me the question is not to choose Hanon or Czerny or some other books but to have a development plan that is suited to your case. That's why students need (good) teachers to guide them .......

Blüthner model 6
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My teacher had to do Hanon in different keys as a child. It made her cry. I'm thankful she hasn't asked me to do the same.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
My teacher had to do Hanon in different keys as a child. It made her cry. I'm thankful she hasn't asked me to do the same.

Lol!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Hanon and Czerny are good for children because they can't complain. For adults, it's a different story, teachers won't get my money if they want me to play boring Hanon exercise. grin

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Serge88
Hanon and Czerny are good for children because they can't complain. For adults, it's a different story, teachers won't get my money if they want me to play boring Hanon exercise. grin

Yep, it is different for adults. I had to ask in order to do some Czerny and Hanon wink

I've read some comments from more than one advanced pianist about Hanon being unmusical (this comment was not applied to Czerny, only Hanon). There was a recent thread on Hanon and Czerny where this and some other things were discussed.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
If one goes to 2:00 in this video one can see that Czerny is not always boring but I don't know what percent of his pieces are this clever and as much fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H24RdWDD6rs

What the pianist plays at the end is Czerny's Op. 822, No. 5, not No. 9 as indicated in the video.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Doesn't any else find it interesting that you start off not being able to play something, either an exercise or a piece, and then after you practice it you can play it?

Learner
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
Doesn't any else find it interesting that you start off not being able to play something, either an exercise or a piece, and then after you practice it you can play it?

You mean in a metaphysical sense?

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I actually have enjoyed Czerny quite a bit. I find it useful, and not boring at all.

[Linked Image]
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I had completed the Hannon book. I agree it is not exciting, it is for skill development. I am working on Czerny Thirty New Studies and Technics and his book 160 eight measure exercises. I do scales and repeat one scale for two weeks, which includes arpeggios, contrary motion, thirds, and double thirds, triads broken in 3 and 4 note form, dominant 7 chords, and dominant 7 arpeggios. The goal after 5 years of lessons is building speed. I truly see the benefit of skill development exercises and how that will eventually lead to better playing. He recently had me start using the book Jazz triads by Kenneth O'Gorman. Though it is written for treble clef we do both hands together in broken and solid form. These exercises have all the inversions, movement by whole-step, tritone, perfect 5th etc.............

Since I am paying for lessons, I am looking for skill development as a student. I believe if I develop the fundamental skills this will help me advance in my playing. I was working through the Schaum series, and finished the G book. Then we moved back to the earlier books to focus on not stopping, accurate counting, and building speed. On some of the very early books, he holds a folder over my hands so I do not look.

I think obtaining a decent level of playing involves a lot of instructional components based on the students needs. You don't know what you don't know, having a teacher for me has truly assisted my growth.

Deb
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DFSRN
I was working through the Schaum series, and finished the G book.

Deb, What books are you referring to here? Can you link it/them?

[Linked Image]

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

You mean in a metaphysical sense?

It's not what I was thinking, but, yes, that too.

Schaum is one of the old faithful piano methods. Each book has a letter and a color.

Learner
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber

That is why we practice, isn't it?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD

That is why we practice, isn't it?

Regards,

Yes. And it is why I like practicing and why practice is not boring.

Learner
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission