2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
41 members (36251, Gord Webster, H.T, AprilE, dobro, dcbluepiano, IvoryPepper, Abdol, ee375, 12 invisible), 428 guests, and 417 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 172 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 171 172
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On
Tyrone Slothrop #2830015 03/22/19 01:38 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Originally Posted by CyberGene
Audiophiles are people who often think you need to spend thousands for the sound to be good. IMHO it’s a myth one needs a headphone amp to change how headphones will sound.

This is no more unreal then people thinking sampled pianos VSTs sound better than modeled piano VSTs because the sound is fuzzier in the sampled pianos, or people who prefer their pianos to have a detuned sound because the unisons are too pure. Recently, on the acoustic piano forum, there was a mini discussion about a certain acoustic having a "synthetic" (?!?!?!) sound. Audio preference is very individualistic and is indeed real.

The truth is in ABX testing. Audiophiles are notorious for hearing cables and then failing in ABX testing. It’s not simply “preference” smile

Last edited by CyberGene; 03/22/19 01:39 PM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
percy64 #2830016 03/22/19 01:39 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I partly agree. But they just don't do it.
The pianos work fine with most headphones and in most use cases. If they miss your situation (or mine), it's just tough. You buy what's needed to make it work.
Originally Posted by percy64
Seems strange to spend that much on a DP and then have to fork out extra for headphone amp, wireless adaptor etc. You would have thought that Yamaha would have sorted that themselves

David B #2830018 03/22/19 01:45 PM
D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
I have Shure SRH440 headphones and I don't go past mid volume for fear of damaging my hearing. It's loud at mid volume. If I were to max the volume out with these headphones, it would be intolerably painful.

God Bless,
David

Last edited by David B; 03/22/19 01:47 PM.

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Mac mini 2018/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Completed
Duane Shinn Praise and Gospel Course; In Progress
Duane Shinn Pro Secrets Course; On Hold
CyberGene #2830021 03/22/19 01:52 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
This is no more unreal then people thinking sampled pianos VSTs sound better than modeled piano VSTs because the sound is fuzzier in the sampled pianos, or people who prefer their pianos to have a detuned sound because the unisons are too pure. Recently, on the acoustic piano forum, there was a mini discussion about a certain acoustic having a "synthetic" (?!?!?!) sound. Audio preference is very individualistic and is indeed real.

The truth is in ABX testing. Audiophiles are notorious for hearing cables and then failing in ABX testing. It’s not simply “preference” smile

Of course. There are many things that are bogus in audiophile-land. But not everything falls into that category. And yes, there is the matter of preference! But of course preference does not cover everything and will not distinguish OFC cables from those made from non OFC copper!

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
David B #2830037 03/22/19 02:16 PM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David B
I have Shure SRH440 headphones and I don't go past mid volume for fear of damaging my hearing. It's loud at mid volume. If I were to max the volume out with these headphones, it would be intolerably painful.

God Bless,
David

+1.

Kawai NV10
Tyrone Slothrop #2830122 03/22/19 06:12 PM

Of course. There are many things that are bogus in audiophile-land. But not everything falls into that category. And yes, there is the matter of preference! But of course preference does not cover everything and will not distinguish OFC cables from those made from non OFC copper!

I have to admit that my joints act up whenever it’s about to rain or I hear music over non OFC copper cables, and even when I hear someone tell me they’re using cheap cables that doesn’t break the bank. Please, for my joints sake, don’t ever mention cables here unless you’ve taken out several mortgages for them!

David B #2830133 03/22/19 06:59 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
And why don’t we step up even further and discuss expensive USB cables laugh I personally know a guy who purchased a €1000 USB Audioquest cable and believes it makes a difference to his digital music, using very elaborate terms to describe what it improves wink How about that, huh?

Last edited by CyberGene; 03/22/19 07:00 PM.

CyberGene #2830143 03/22/19 07:14 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
And why don’t we step up even further and discuss expensive USB cables laugh I personally know a guy who purchased a €1000 USB Audioquest cable and believes it makes a difference to his digital music, using very elaborate terms to describe what it improves wink How about that, huh?

Why discuss? It's obvious to me how such a cable would work. In order to ensure the hygiene of the bits, they are pre-sorted on the cable.

That said, CyberGene, you have some well-heeled friends. Why didn't you offer to build him a very special power conditioner to ensure that no bad electricity sneak into his equipment. You could have charged for this.... how much was your N1X again?

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
CyberGene #2830145 03/22/19 07:22 PM
Only 1000 EUR? Why cheap out. Please tell him he should go for the REALLY good cables at around 10,000 EUR. smile
I personally know a guy who purchased a €1000 USB Audioquest cable and believes it makes a difference to his digital music, using very elaborate terms to describe what it improves.

David B #2830229 03/23/19 02:33 AM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I believe the Squidbot was asking about whether the amp would be powerful enough to drive the headphones to a reasonable level, but his MDR7506 is sensitive enough and the 63Ω low enough that the N1X can drive the headphones to a completely unreasonable volume.

That is what I'm asking, but I don't find the headphones are driven to a reasonable volume, certainly not compared to the CLP-685. What would be the solution for me then? I would like to be able to turn it up a bit more. I'm definitely not getting the same experience of David B ("I have Shure SRH440 headphones and I don't go past mid volume for fear of damaging my hearing. It's loud at mid volume. If I were to max the volume out with these headphones, it would be intolerably painful.") but am in the percy64 situation where they seem low even at max volume.

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, R. Schumann Fantasy Dance, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
Chrispy #2830234 03/23/19 03:46 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by squidbot
I believe the Squidbot was asking about whether the amp would be powerful enough to drive the headphones to a reasonable level, but his MDR7506 is sensitive enough and the 63Ω low enough that the N1X can drive the headphones to a completely unreasonable volume.

That is what I'm asking, but I don't find the headphones are driven to a reasonable volume, certainly not compared to the CLP-685. What would be the solution for me then? I would like to be able to turn it up a bit more. I'm definitely not getting the same experience of David B ("I have Shure SRH440 headphones and I don't go past mid volume for fear of damaging my hearing. It's loud at mid volume. If I were to max the volume out with these headphones, it would be intolerably painful.") but am in the percy64 situation where they seem low even at max volume.

Well, the key is the voltage gain. So if the output voltage at VRMS for the headphone output isn't high enough, then you simply won't hear it at hearing-damaging levels. You can calculate the minimum VRMS needed from the amplifier to damage your hearing using this spreadsheet. You already know 2 of the inputs for the spreadsheet, the impedance and sensitivity of headphones. The other thing you'll need is to enter the max sound pressure level you want to achieve (see graph at bottom). The spreadsheet then should tell you the minimum VRMS the amp headphone output needs to produce to attain that sound pressure level. If you want to use a external headphone amp, there are a number of them that would deafen you completely, so you should be able to find one that produces whatever the minimum VRMS is. Note however, possibly to avoid lawsuits, some headphone amps actually have a high gain dipswitch inside the case that you have to turn on, to get the real dangerously high voltage gains. For example, since my headphones have less sensitivity than yours and also a higher impedance, I had to open my headphone amp up so I could access the high gain switch.

(BTW, this is all assuming your headphones behave linearly, which they never do. In particular, they may limit current as the sound pressure level goes up, which will naturally then cap the maximum sound pressure level they can produce. Otherwise the drivers would likely burn out, anyways before you can be deafened.)

P.S. Be safe and do none of this testing with the headphones on your ears! wink

[Linked Image]

Tyrone Slothrop #2830237 03/23/19 04:01 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
If you want to use a external headphone amp, there are a number of them that would deafen you completely, so you should be able to find one that produces whatever the minimum VRMS is.

BTW, before you spend money on an external amp, you should check that your N1X is set properly. I'd contact Yamaha and verify you have set everything correctly for the max headphone output levels, and also, I'd ask tech support to look up what the max headphone output voltage gain level produced by the builtin N1X headphone amp is - that is if this info isn't already in your N1X manual. The typical maximum headphone output voltage will vary from 0.1 to 1.0V RMS, with many headphone amps sitting around a 0.7V RMS level.

[Linked Image]

David B #2830243 03/23/19 04:33 AM
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
It's little wonder that there are varying experiences with headphone volume. We are all taught that speakers must be matched to our amplifier and we know not to break that rule, yet we expect any set of headphones to work perfectly in any headphone socket. This, despite the fact that one set of headphones might be 1/10 of the impedance of another. If you think about it that way, you can see that audio companies have to choose a range somewhere in the middle. You can't cover everybody. They are probably limited by some standard to prevent hearing damage so that means you need headphones that sit within the range that Yamaha chose. If not, you have to get another amplifier or another set of headphones. I wouldn't call this a design fault, more of a practical/legal necessity.

ando #2830256 03/23/19 05:13 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ando
It's little wonder that there are varying experiences with headphone volume. We are all taught that speakers must be matched to our amplifier and we know not to break that rule, yet we expect any set of headphones to work perfectly in any headphone socket. This, despite the fact that one set of headphones might be 1/10 of the impedance of another. If you think about it that way, you can see that audio companies have to choose a range somewhere in the middle. You can't cover everybody. They are probably limited by some standard to prevent hearing damage so that means you need headphones that sit within the range that Yamaha chose. If not, you have to get another amplifier or another set of headphones. I wouldn't call this a design fault, more of a practical/legal necessity.

I agree, which is what I said to squidbot above! But as I said, at least for headphone amps, the manufacturer sometimes hides an adjustment (sometimes a dipswitch or a jumper) which is the "I know what I'm doing" switch for higher voltage gain. wink

[Linked Image]

JoeT #2830270 03/23/19 06:29 AM
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by JoeT
Originally Posted by arc7urus
I have this amp: https://www.schiit.com/products/magni-1 - it is not easy to get one in the EU as they are often out of stock (they are made in the USA).

It's nowhere to get at all.

What do you mean? They have a dealer in the NL (https://www.schiit-europe.com/) and shipping costs are ca. 5 EUR within the EU. You may have to wait a couple of weeks if the item is not in stock, but you can order any product from their catalogue.

Chrispy #2830280 03/23/19 07:01 AM
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by squidbot

I would expect the N1X (or any other DP for that matter) to be capable of driving headphones up to ca. 80 Ohm without the need to crank up the volume to near max. The use case for an external amp applies when connecting 200+ Ohm headphones to portable devices and other equipment that lacks the proper amplification circuitry. In my case, the 250 Ohm headphones sound low even at max volume. But the major issue is not the volume but the quality of the sound, since it loses spatiality and becomes "muddy", especially the lower freqs. With the external amp, I am able to get a clear sound regardless of the volume. Btw, if I connect low impedance headphones to the amp I cannot tell the difference.

David B #2830307 03/23/19 08:51 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm currently using my HD-650-s (300Ω) at around 80-90% volume and the sound is very clean. There's no muddy sound, there's no lack of separation or any distortions at all. I mean, the headphone amp in the N1X is perfectly capable driving even 300Ω headphones, so apparently there's no need for an external amplification. Most probably the piano will be able to drive almost every possible headphones except for some exotic high-impedance 600Ω headphones, etc. The headphone amp is apparently up tp the task.

David B #2830311 03/23/19 09:02 AM
That's surprising, CG. But it's useful information.

Ya know ... with all the possible pianos and all the possible headphones ... how is anyone to know whether given phones will work well with a given piano?
Perhaps discoveries, such as yours, should be compiled for reference?
Your information is not the first and will not be the last ... but it will disappear from public knowledge all too quickly if it's not kept visible somehow. frown

MacMacMac #2830318 03/23/19 09:32 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Ya know ... with all the possible pianos and all the possible headphones ... how is anyone to know whether given phones will work well with a given piano?

Simple: Check the technical specification of the headphones amplifier. These need to be provided by the manufacturer obviously. Here is an example:

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-900KHz, -3dB
Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 3W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 2W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.3W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 430mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 230mW RMS per channel
THD: Less than 0.001%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS, less than 0.02% at 5V RMS into 32 ohms
IMD: Less than 0.001%, CCIF
SNR: Greater than 108db, unweighted, referenced to 1V RMS
Crosstalk: -70dB, 20 Hz-20KHz
Output Impedance: Less than 0.3 ohms

Obviously digital pianos do not provide these specs, because their headphones amps are afterthoughts no "reviewer" ever wastes a single second with (just like with the built-in speakers). On those fancy YouTube videos, you can see every gear wired up through the LINE OUTs. This is how they listen to those products and this is how the YouTube audience listens to the products.

Richwood RD-17C-CE | LaMancha Rubi CM-N | Yamaha P-515
David B #2830330 03/23/19 09:55 AM
CyberGene said that the HD650 phones work with the AG N1X.

Do your specs tell me whether these example phones will work with that piano?

Page 12 of 172 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 171 172

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Should I be able to "read" everything on the piece?
by dcbluepiano - 10/28/20 10:40 PM
Baldwin Acrosonic Spinet has 3 "twanging" bass keys.
by trooplewis - 10/28/20 09:57 PM
Question about HP704 and acoustic pianos
by paxel - 10/28/20 08:37 PM
Shopping for a hybrid digital
by Zora - 10/28/20 12:45 PM
Steinway Model M concerns?
by calenadariel - 10/28/20 12:41 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,459
Posts3,018,191
Members99,059
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission