2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
Hello,
I'am going to buy a new upright piano. I'am very interested in the W Hoffmann range, particularly the WH professional range. I also like the Bechstein pianos, but my budget does not go so far.
I would like to get a 120 cm high.
I am interested in the WH Pro 120. Does anybody own this piano ? Did anyone try it ?
Is it worth compared with the tradition T122 and the vision 120 V120 ?
A sales assistant told me the prices of the WH Pro models are pretty close to the first models of Bechstein and that the best idea would be to extend my budget to get a Bechstein instead. Is it worth to shift from à WH pro 120 or 126 to a Bechstein 112 or 114 ?
Thanks for any comment, advice or feedback.

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
I tried a W HOFFMAN 122 Tradition .I thought the tone and touch very nice.I also tried the C BECHSTEIN K8 which was wonderful !
That piano was also above what we could afford.
For you its a difficult decision -a smaller Bechstein or a tall W Hoffman.
Taller pianos are usually considered better because of a bigger soundboard and longer strings .So you have to decide .

J
6000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
In this kind of scenario you have to just go for the piano you like the best. The thing is that a taller piano can sound better in the bass (not always but mostly), but a premium piano like Bechstein may sing better over all, and may have a better balanced voice throughout the compass of the keyboard.

I haven't tried either piano in a long time so I don't remember.

YAMAHA Artist
J
J
Hello Dover,

I wrote about my "quest" about a year ago and am now living with a W Hoffmann P120 smile

I was going for the v126 which is an excellent value-for-money "Bechstein" piano. Before placing the order I changed my order for the P120 and took a leap of faith without having played (or heard) the P120 at a shop.

As I wrote at the other thread, the decision was made because I wanted to replace the golden fittings of the V126 with chrome and the price went near the P120. So I eventually went down in height but got a better (in specs) instrument. Professional voicing, agraffes and reinforced material for extra "stability" in changes of weather.

I am not a professional piano player, music is not even my job.

This piano is an instrument to connect to, a valuable company and friend, you just have to touch it, it's so light and sensitive to the hand. And very loud, lids closed even at 120cm! My living room is about 30m2, maybe a bit more. What a bass! In all it's black colour, the silver fittings, the modern furniture (compare it to the T series), it's all there waiting for me everytime I get home.

Send me a private msg if you want to see a couple of small videos I recorded with my mobile.

jim

Last edited by jimbeam; 03/15/19 04:35 AM.
R
R
Hi Dover
I tried the V131 in the store and really liked it. Very nice action and tone. I also tried the a P126, which I liked this even more particularly the chrome trim on the P series instead of the gold trim on the V series.
If you like the sound and volume of the P120, this seems like a good piano to go for, and Jimbeam who now owns one is also vouching for that.
Good luck with your purchase

Y
yok Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Y
The only W Hoffmann I have ever tried was a V126, and only a single example of that model, so I have no idea how it compares with the higher ranges of Hoffmann uprights. I did get to compare it with the B124* upright from the Bechstein family though. There was a B124 right beside the V126 and I also got to try a B124 at another dealer. Of the two pianos side by side I actually think I preferred the Hoffmann, and I certainly thought it was better value. The fit and finish also seemed equally good and the only area in which it was obvious to me that cheaper materials had been used in the Hoffmann was the keytops, which were not as grainy and pleasantly tactile as the Bechstein's. I liked the B124 at the other dealer better - it was also more expensive there and possibly had had more effort put into its preparation. I still don't think for me that it would have justified the price premium over the V126 though.

I was impressed enough by the V126 that after months of trying pianos and having sampled a large number of uprights and small grands both new and used, some up to twice the price of the V126, I had got down to a final decision between that piano and the slightly more expensive Kawai K600. Then, just as I was about to decide, a small grand piano came up from a private seller, a 2002 Feurich F172, and I ended up buying that piano. It cost about 50% more than either of the new uprights would have but was still within my original search budget. I still don't know which of the Kawai or Hoffmann I would have chosen but I am sure I would have been very happy with either. So, long story short, I really liked the V126.

(*This upright was from Bechstein's lower range, which they differentiated from the upper range by calling it 'Bechstein' instead of 'C.Bechstein'. I think they have now taken to calling this lower range C.Bechstein Academy or something.)

U
U
When I was piano shopping I tried the Bechstein Academy and the W. Hoffman. I ended up buying the Bechstein (which I'm very happy with) but the W. Hoffman wasn't a bad piano by any means. It turns out the manager of the store, who should know a thing or two about pianos, owns a W Hoffman and he said he loves it. You have to find "your" piano and, if that piano is a W Hoffman, you won't go wrong.

K
K
I thought they were quite decent. I tried a few during my search for a grand. I was pleased with its action in particular.

Last edited by kokatla; 03/21/19 03:05 AM.
W
W
I have limited experience with them but I think you will be fine with any of the W Hoffman and Bechstein. I found they all have a European singing tune and good action, and would inspire you to practice.

I have chosen a Kawai upright at that time (K3) but the budget was the deciding factor!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I haven't tried W.Hoffmann uprights.
When I bought my grand piano in 2012, W.Hoffmann was an option I considered, because they also come with the Bechstein silent system.
I tried the Tradition 161 and 177. The sound of the 177 was nice; but the action wasn't to my liking. Question of taste.

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
D
OP Offline
D
Hello.
Thank you for your messages.
I am still looking for my next piano. I have been also adviced to try the yamaha YUS1 which seems to have a clear sound (less than the yamaha U1) and a richer tone than the U1. I was told that the yamaha YUS serie could be an alternative to the W Hoffmann pianos.
Thanks for any advice about the WH pianos and Yamaha YUS/U pianos or feedback about those sets of pianos.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't know the Hoffmans at all.

But with YAMAHA, there are a few different versions of the "U1" - the Japanese YUS1 is far superior to the Indonesian models (different model name, which I'm not sure of now. Mum bought a YUS1 on my advice 5 or 6 years ago and she loves it.

The only thing is, the bench is very basic and too low for good posture - budget for an adjustable one - or get them to throw a basic adjustable one in!!!

KAWAI have a similar grade/price piano to the YUS1 which is ... similar. Try one, you might prefer it, slightly different tone and touch. Kawai have a 12 year warranty too (at least in Australia).

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
C
C
I wonder why nobody ever considers Förster (with an O-Umlaut) upright - top tier, top quality at an acceptable price. Even better (if you live in Europe) to find a pre-owned one. Even their sub 110cm have a wonderful sound and bass -- suprising volume included. Their 125G should also be a good basis for restoration.

Any reason for this? I can only suppose it`s mainly due to bad availability outside of Europe. Within Europe there`s plenty of well kept supply at low prices - and new ones naturally and new one at prices competitive with japanese makes.

Thanks

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chordo24
I wonder why nobody ever considers Förster (with an O-Umlaut) upright - top tier, top quality at an acceptable price. Even better (if you live in Europe) to find a pre-owned one. Even their sub 110cm have a wonderful sound and bass -- suprising volume included. Their 125G should also be a good basis for restoration.

Any reason for this? I can only suppose it`s mainly due to bad availability outside of Europe. Within Europe there`s plenty of well kept supply at low prices - and new ones naturally and new one at prices competitive with japanese makes.

Thanks

I found one August Förster dealer in Australia - is that the same brand?

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Yes August Forster top tier performance instrument, great piano ! It is the same I am sure.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I like my Hoffmann a lot. I got mine used. It hadn't been used very much, though. It took several tunings the first year I had it, but it is now very stable. The action is nice, the sound is great. It's very enjoyable to play. It's a much better piano than I am a player.

if you like it, you won't regret the purchase.

Gary

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission