Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
129 registered members (amyram, AndrewJCW, ando, AB99, Animisha, Ankee, ADWyatt, Alan F, 35 invisible), 1,924 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Hanon book one finished. Transpose? #2829744
03/21/19 11:38 PM
03/21/19 11:38 PM
H
Hotstrings Offline OP
Hotstrings  Offline OP
H

I have only been playing and studying piano for about a year and a half. Finished book one of Hanon and now teacher recommends I go back and learn exercises in ALL keys.
I thought Hanon exercises were mainly for warming up?I do plenty of other scales and cycles in all keys so I’m not sure of the benefit?
Thanks.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Hanon book one finished. Transpose? [Re: Hotstrings] #2829768
03/22/19 01:33 AM
03/22/19 01:33 AM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Victoria, BC
I feel sorry for you that your teacher is not more imaginative than asking you to go through all of the first book of Hanon in all keys! Are you paying him/her money for this kind of advice and teaching?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Hanon book one finished. Transpose? [Re: Hotstrings] #2829770
03/22/19 01:48 AM
03/22/19 01:48 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Hotstrings
Finished book one of Hanon and now teacher recommends I go back and learn exercises in ALL keys.

I found out first hand that transposing Hanon to other keys without changing all the fingering requires playing very close to the fallboard in some of the keys, awkwardly so, because fingers 1 & 5 will end up on black keys with fingers 2-4 sometimes on whites. Feels spider-like skittering over the keys like this, and I'm doubtful this is in good form. You should have your teacher spell out the fingering and explain how to play those that are awkward this way, and how to move fingers, such as finger 4 in particular, over black keys when you are pressed up against the fallboard.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Hanon book one finished. Transpose? [Re: Hotstrings] #2829781
03/22/19 03:28 AM
03/22/19 03:28 AM
UK
J
jamiecw Offline
500 Post Club Member
jamiecw  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J

UK
I know people who gave up the piano (and have no fond memory of learning piano at all, in fact quite the opposite), just because of Hanon being forced on them week in and week out...

As I understand it, there are camps on either side of the fence whether there is any benefit on learning Hanon let alone transposing all the exercises in other keys...on a personal level, I'd like to refer you to the advice Graham Fitch gave in one of his Pianist videos here.

It's an interesting watch, especially to hear the origins and the evolution etc. Be your own judge as to whether you find them beneficial or not...as I was; I started learning them on my own but my teacher said only do some as part of a warm-up and if you can find ones that help on some of the pieces you are learning even better (e.g. exercise one can help a little with learning Burgmuller's Arabesque - especially the resolute ending..)

Re: Hanon book one finished. Transpose? [Re: Hotstrings] #2829788
03/22/19 04:49 AM
03/22/19 04:49 AM
Groove On Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Groove On  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I have only been playing and studying piano for about a year and a half. Finished book one of Hanon and now teacher recommends I go back and learn exercises in ALL keys.
I thought Hanon exercises were mainly for warming up?I do plenty of other scales and cycles in all keys so I’m not sure of the benefit?
Thanks.

There are many reasons Hanon could be assigned. Some questions you might want to ask your teacher to clarify what they expect:
- How exactly did your teacher say you should do them?
- Was it a general recommendation or was there a specific goal?
- Did they recommend it as a short warmup or as a longer study?
- Are they perhaps assigning it as a way to further develop your physical skills?

Not necessary to answer here, but it would be interesting to find out.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
Re: Hanon book one finished. Transpose? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2829789
03/22/19 04:52 AM
03/22/19 04:52 AM
Moscow, Russia
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Iaroslav Vasiliev  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I

Moscow, Russia
Playing Hanon in other keys is essential in my opinion. Other keys is where real benefit begins, because while playing in С major you're playing mostly using fixed hand positions, but while playing in other keys you learn to adjust hand position before every note, and this is all it is about.

Just don't forget to play musically. wink

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Finished book one of Hanon and now teacher recommends I go back and learn exercises in ALL keys.

I found out first hand that transposing Hanon to other keys without changing all the fingering requires playing very close to the fallboard in some of the keys, awkwardly so, because fingers 1 & 5 will end up on black keys with fingers 2-4 sometimes on whites. Feels spider-like skittering over the keys like this, and I'm doubtful this is in good form. You should have your teacher spell out the fingering and explain how to play those that are awkward this way, and how to move fingers, such as finger 4 in particular, over black keys when you are pressed up against the fallboard.

I'm sorry to say that but it seems that you don't play it correctly. The fingering remains the same in every key. The goal of this training is to learn to adjust hand position for every note. So every time the 1st or the 5th finger must play a black key the hand moves forward to the fallboard, immediately after that the hand moves backwards to allow other fingers to play comfortably. The hand shouldn't stay in a fixed spider-like position near the fallboard, no finger depresses white key in-between black keys.

Re: Hanon book one finished. Transpose? [Re: Hotstrings] #2829815
03/22/19 07:25 AM
03/22/19 07:25 AM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
pianoloverus  Online Content

New York City
The idea that a person with 1.5 years experience should spend time playing Hanon in all keys is ludicrous IMO. At that point in the learning experience there are MUCH more important things to spend one's time on although I doubt many would agree that playing Hanon in all keys is appropriate for a pianist of any experience.

Re: Hanon book one finished. Transpose? [Re: Hotstrings] #2829817
03/22/19 07:32 AM
03/22/19 07:32 AM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
I agree there must be better ways to spend the time. That’s a tremendous undertaking. The entire set in all 12 (major I assume) keys? No thanks.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions
Grieg Sonata - Andante molto

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Hanon book one finished. Transpose? [Re: Hotstrings] #2829824
03/22/19 07:57 AM
03/22/19 07:57 AM
LA County, California
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

LA County, California
Put the Hanon notes into the Bach AI Harmonizer from yesterday and then play that. It's a lot more interesting.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Re: Hanon book one finished. Transpose? [Re: pianoloverus] #2829910
03/22/19 11:08 AM
03/22/19 11:08 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
The idea that a person with 1.5 years experience should spend time playing Hanon in all keys is ludicrous IMO. At that point in the learning experience there are MUCH more important things to spend one's time on although I doubt many would agree that playing Hanon in all keys is appropriate for a pianist of any experience.

I agree. I think for a beginner, this is overkill, and there are much more rewarding and helpful things to do. I do wonder if the teacher said this just because it's what she always prescribes, or if she is trying to address something in particular.

Groove On gives some pretty good questions to ask that are reasonable.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Hanon book one finished. Transpose? [Re: Iaroslav Vasiliev] #2829913
03/22/19 11:13 AM
03/22/19 11:13 AM

7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev

I'm sorry to say that but it seems that you don't play it correctly. The fingering remains the same in every key. The goal of this training is to learn to adjust hand position for every note. So every time the 1st or the 5th finger must play a black key the hand moves forward to the fallboard, immediately after that the hand moves backwards to allow other fingers to play comfortably. The hand shouldn't stay in a fixed spider-like position near the fallboard, no finger depresses white key in-between black keys.

But you see, that is what apparently Hotstrings should have been shown by the teacher. Because it is unreasonable that a student should have to figure out that one needs to be constantly moving in and out of the keys by themselves when they have 6 months learning experience at piano - that's something the teacher should be showing Hotstrings. How to actually play these when the scores aren't written for them, the fingering is not explained, and the entire motion of moving in and out isn't discussed in Hanon.

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Hanon book one finished. Transpose? [Re: Hotstrings] #2830038
03/22/19 02:19 PM
03/22/19 02:19 PM
Left Coast of US
D
Docbop Offline
Docbop  Offline
D

Left Coast of US
I'm still very beginner and have been playing Hanon in multiple keys and think it is valuable to do. It does get you thinking about fingering concepts and to see/hear the patterns and transpose by ear to the new key. I think when you transpose you get far more out of a exercise or piece of music than wiggling your fingers.

Re: Hanon book one finished. Transpose? [Re: cmb13] #2830040
03/22/19 02:23 PM
03/22/19 02:23 PM
Moscow, Russia
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Iaroslav Vasiliev  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I

Moscow, Russia
But you see, that is what apparently Hotstrings should have been shown by the teacher. Because it is unreasonable that a student should have to figure out that one needs to be constantly moving in and out of the keys by themselves when they have 6 months learning experience at piano - that's something the teacher should be showing Hotstrings. How to actually play these when the scores aren't written for them, the fingering is not explained, and the entire motion of moving in and out isn't discussed in Hanon.

Agree.

Originally Posted by cmb13
I agree there must be better ways to spend the time. That’s a tremendous undertaking. The entire set in all 12 (major I assume) keys? No thanks.

Yes, it's not efficient to learn to play in all 12 keys at once. Keys should be studied one by one, spending probably a month on each key to learn its 'topography' well. But the 'topography' learned that way is a great advantage in my opinion, especially when transposing on-the-fly by looking at the original score, no scale will bring that degree of knowledge of a key.

Re: Hanon book one finished. Transpose? [Re: Docbop] #2830082
03/22/19 03:37 PM
03/22/19 03:37 PM
B
bennevis Offline
bennevis  Offline
B

Originally Posted by Docbop
I'm still very beginner and have been playing Hanon in multiple keys and think it is valuable to do. It does get you thinking about fingering concepts and to see/hear the patterns and transpose by ear to the new key. I think when you transpose you get far more out of a exercise or piece of music than wiggling your fingers.

If your main interest is jazz, maybe.

Otherwise, it's pointless for a beginner. Or even intermediate. You'd learn much, much more from suitable pieces that teach new concepts and new techniques.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Hanon book one finished. Transpose? [Re: Hotstrings] #2830172
03/22/19 09:25 PM
03/22/19 09:25 PM
H
Hotstrings Offline OP
Hotstrings  Offline OP
H

Wow thanks for all the suggestions. I learned so much from just reading posts. Will try to clarify best I can, as I had a lesson last night.
Teacher wanted me to transpose BUT not in all keys. Start with G one sharp , etc.
I guess it s relevant that I got bit by the piano bug at age 72 after being a guitarist for over 60 years.
Yes, my main interest is jazz. I am obsessed as I practice in 8 arenas of music 4-6 hours every day, 7 days a week..My teacher creates and writes everything. Hanon only book I bought. I love it. Having five fingers on my left hand is just super cool. I am blessed with a fairly good knowledge of chord theory from playing guitar. That helps with chord decorating. For some reason my guitar playing has exploded when I play. However my ear is not nearly as good on guitar. Much better on piano. Maybe because it is so parallel? next to guitar.
My teacher is at least 75 and he, himself,studies classical with someone who is 90.

As far as the comment about do I pay him ,etc. Absolutely. ($100 hr —weekly private lessons) I learned guitar from the Masters in New Orleans and one things for sure: Spend as much as you can afford for the. best teacher within A reasonable distance. My teacher has a Masters in music and identifies with the. Bill Evans genre. I love it because it introduces me to a lot of beautiful music slow enough for me to handle it.
I did not mean to imply that my teacher was unimaginative as he is totally the opposite.Experience as a jazz pianist all his life, he comes with what I call the hidden treasures. Information, ideas and theory that one does not often get in other settings. I taught guitar for 25 years and quickly realized the value of field experience.

I know I will never play piano like I do guitar but sometimes I do amaze myself. My goal is simply to deliver one nice jazz set. I have no delusions of grandeur of actually playing gigs.
Thanks again for all the great advice.

Re: Hanon book one finished. Transpose? [Re: bennevis] #2830430
03/23/19 01:33 PM
03/23/19 01:33 PM
Left Coast of US
D
Docbop Offline
Docbop  Offline
D

Left Coast of US
Originally Posted by bennevis

If your main interest is jazz, maybe.

Otherwise, it's pointless for a beginner. Or even intermediate. You'd learn much, much more from suitable pieces that teach new concepts and new techniques.

Developing ear and becoming better at fingering concepts helps any genre of piano playing.

Re: Hanon book one finished. Transpose? [Re: Docbop] #2830438
03/23/19 01:52 PM
03/23/19 01:52 PM
B
bennevis Offline
bennevis  Offline
B

I'm still very beginner and have been playing Hanon in multiple keys and think it is valuable to do.

Developing ear and becoming better at fingering concepts helps any genre of piano playing.

For classical piano, playing the scale of (say) D flat using the same fingering as for C major does nothing to help with understanding and developing fingering concepts. (In fact, it will destroy them). Same with playing Hanon using the same fingerings in all keys.

Sure, for jazz, when you have to transpose on the fly, that's the 'easiest' fingering to use, because you don't have to think about it, but then you're not too bothered with the kind of stuff that concerns classical musicians.

In classical, you need to develop an instinctive grasp of the best fingering for any situation to ensure smooth phrasing and legato lines - or smooth and even staccato, as the case may be. That's part of the reason why classical pianists learn fingerings for each (group of) scales and arpeggios.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Hanon book one finished. Transpose? [Re: Hotstrings] #2830547
03/23/19 07:00 PM
03/23/19 07:00 PM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Online content
5000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
C

Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by bennevis
For classical piano, playing the scale of (say) D flat using the same fingering as for C major does nothing to help with understanding and developing fingering concepts. (In fact, it will destroy them). Same with playing Hanon using the same fingerings in all keys.

Sure, for jazz, when you have to transpose on the fly, that's the 'easiest' fingering to use, because you don't have to think about it, but then you're not too bothered with the kind of stuff that concerns classical musicians.

I believe there's a "school" of jazz fingering that encourages using the same fingering for all keys. So _some people_ would think that Hanon (with marked fingering, transposed) is worth doing.

Many exercises in Hanon are _unplayable_ (I think) if you transpose, and try to use "classical scale fingerings". But you can do them if you're willing to use "RH -- thumb on tonic; LH -- pinkie on tonic". Cramped, "unnatural", "inefficient" -- all true. But your fingers will learn to work in ways that "classical fingering" tries to avoid, _but that are sometimes necessary_.

Whether that's a good use of time for a beginner, I don't know. G and F aren't trouble. Gb and B -- not so easy!

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: Hanon book one finished. Transpose? [Re: Charles Cohen] #2830566
03/23/19 07:51 PM
03/23/19 07:51 PM

7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
Many exercises in Hanon are _unplayable_ (I think) if you transpose, and try to use "classical scale fingerings". But you can do them if you're willing to use "RH -- thumb on tonic; LH -- pinkie on tonic". Cramped, "unnatural", "inefficient" -- all true.

Since this thread popped up two days ago, I was imagining how one would even use traditional fingering for Hanon. For example, take A♭ Major and Hanon No. 1 let's just say - I tried using traditional fingering for A♭ Major scale, and I had trouble getting past even the 5th measure. Amazingly awkward.

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"Weaponizing" Off-Topic posts in large threads
by Gombessa. 10/17/19 12:30 PM
Impact Method....without Impact Hammer?
by Duaner. 10/17/19 12:04 PM
Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On Part Deux
by Gombessa. 10/17/19 11:55 AM
Philip Glass look out!!
by Peyton. 10/17/19 11:49 AM
Remove swirl marks, polish gloss ebony finish?
by TurboMatt. 10/17/19 10:48 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,575
Posts2,880,204
Members94,688
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission