Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
138 registered members (alans, ando, Aleksandre, anamnesis, accordeur, Animisha, Alex_G, Amedeus, apianostudent, 30 invisible), 1,486 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Yet ANOTHER piano comparison recommendation sought! #2829724
03/21/19 10:46 PM
03/21/19 10:46 PM
B
BoyFromBoonton Offline OP
BoyFromBoonton  Offline OP
B

I think (based on the posts I've seen on here already) I know the answer to this comparison, but the price differential is the only thing that's keeping me a little on the fence.

I've been playing a beat up, hundred-year-old Kohler and Chase upright for years, just banging out show tunes to sing with the family, things like that. I play pop and rock, musical theater mostly, so I am already looking for more of a bright, punchy modern tone, as opposed to a rounder classical sound.

The ideal, in this case, would be a Yamaha u1 or u3. But I'm trying to stay well under that price point, so here are the two options I think I've narrowed it down to:

Samick JS-115
Serial number: IJML 00091

It's from 1990, in great shape, and being sold by a dealer, which means it will be fully detailed and tuned before delivery, as well as another tuning in a few weeks, and a warranty (not sure if it's 5 or 10), all included in the price, $1,695. I have played, and really like the bright tone.

The other option is a:

Sojin RS-18
Serial Number: 088705
Year is a little hard to pinpoint, but knowing Sojin stopped making pianos in 1991 or so, I THINK that puts this piano mid-80's somewhere. It's being sold by a private seller, a woman at a music school who is helping her student sell it to pay for a trip back to Armenia. She is only asking $850, and I believe that is negotiable. Obviously, I would have to then pay for a mover and a tune, although I doubt that would equal the difference in price from the Samick. However, this piano will NOT be detailed or anything, so the little nicks and blemishes will not be repaired. I also am a LITTLE concerned about the number of hours it's had put on it, especially if it's been living in a music school. (Not sure if all the kids had access to it, or just the one who is selling it).

As I've said, I've read mostly negative things on here about Sojin, but I haven't exactly read glowing reviews of the Samick, either, so I figured I'd at least hear people's opinion of these choices.

As I said, I've played them both and like the sound of each, it's hard to say which I like more because they are in different locations, but at least I know I liked both of them.

Thanks,

Brian

P.S. First post, BTW!! Love this forum, it's been very helpful in my search!

Last edited by BoyFromBoonton; 03/21/19 10:47 PM.
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Yet ANOTHER piano comparison recommendation sought! [Re: BoyFromBoonton] #2829750
03/21/19 11:59 PM
03/21/19 11:59 PM
T
TortoiseAvenger Offline
TortoiseAvenger  Offline
T

If you're open to other ideas, I'd recommend a used "institutional" model from a more reputable manufacturer. Yamaha's P22 comes to mind. Kawai changes their model names every 2 weeks it seems, but they make a few as well. In my recent search, I've found these institutional models to be more punchy than their expensive brothers and sisters.

Re: Yet ANOTHER piano comparison recommendation sought! [Re: TortoiseAvenger] #2829752
03/22/19 12:02 AM
03/22/19 12:02 AM
B
B

Thanks! I should have mentioned that for aesthetic reasons (translation: my wife) we really want a taller upright, as opposed to a console or spinnet. I’ve played a p22 as well as the m450, I think? But I like the look of the studio size better. But thanks for the rec’s!

Re: Yet ANOTHER piano comparison recommendation sought! [Re: BoyFromBoonton] #2829753
03/22/19 12:07 AM
03/22/19 12:07 AM
T
TortoiseAvenger Offline
TortoiseAvenger  Offline
T

Originally Posted by BoyFromBoonton
Thanks! I should have mentioned that for aesthetic reasons (translation: my wife) we really want a taller upright, as opposed to a console or spinnet. I’ve played a p22 as well as the m450, I think? But I like the look of the studio size better. But thanks for the rec’s!

The P22, and other institutional models are about the same size as that you're looking at. ~44".

Re: Yet ANOTHER piano comparison recommendation sought! [Re: BoyFromBoonton] #2829757
03/22/19 12:19 AM
03/22/19 12:19 AM
B
B

So it is! Ok, but based on what I’ve been able to locate in my price range, I’ve narrowed it down to the above.

Re: Yet ANOTHER piano comparison recommendation sought! [Re: BoyFromBoonton] #2829809
03/22/19 06:40 AM
03/22/19 06:40 AM
Chiltern Hills, England.
G
gwing Offline
gwing  Offline
G

Chiltern Hills, England.
Originally Posted by BoyFromBoonton
So it is! Ok, but based on what I’ve been able to locate in my price range, I’ve narrowed it down to the above.

You do have quite a short list of very disparate pianos. If none of them are the one you really want - looking further and looking longer is perhaps the best advice.

Re: Yet ANOTHER piano comparison recommendation sought! [Re: BoyFromBoonton] #2829956
03/22/19 12:18 PM
03/22/19 12:18 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Lady Bird  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
Go taller -Better pianos Kawai K300 ,
K500 ,Yamaha U1, Yamaha,U3

Re: Yet ANOTHER piano comparison recommendation sought! [Re: BoyFromBoonton] #2830042
03/22/19 02:26 PM
03/22/19 02:26 PM
B
B

OK, while all these recommendations are interesting, they are not exactly helpful. Obviously, if I had the means, I'd get a U1 or k500. But in my price range, and in the style I like, I've narrowed it down to two. Like everyone else on here who asks for this advice, I'm looking for specific opinions of these two pianos, or at least about one or the other. So if anyone on here has opinions or advice specifically about the Samick Js-115 or Sojin RS-18, I'd really appreciate it. But I'm getting a little frustrated with people just telling me other pianos to look at.

You don't think I've been looking? I'm on CL, Ebay, Next-door, and all the local piano shops websites every night scrolling, looking for a hidden gem in my price range. This is what I've found.

Re: Yet ANOTHER piano comparison recommendation sought! [Re: BoyFromBoonton] #2830176
03/22/19 09:49 PM
03/22/19 09:49 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Carey  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Phoenix, Arizona
In addition to your own stated concerns about the Sojin piano, here's what Larry Fine had to say about Sojin pianos in the 2002 "The Piano Book:"

"Sojin pianos were very inconsistent in quality, like the other Korean brands but worse. Some were terrible, some were not bad. Sometimes the grands were acceptable if prepared by the dealer, but I would not trust these pianos to hold up well with time and use."

Does that help? smile

The Samick sounds like the better bet - however, the particular model you're considering was built in Indonesia as opposed to Korea - so just be aware of that. It's almost 30 years old. If it looks and sounds good and plays well at this point in its life, then it probably is OK.

Last edited by Carey; 03/22/19 09:57 PM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Re: Yet ANOTHER piano comparison recommendation sought! [Re: BoyFromBoonton] #2830190
03/22/19 10:55 PM
03/22/19 10:55 PM
B
B

Yes, that is all super helpful, and kind of confirms what I was already thinking, but it’s nice to hear for someone else!

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Clavinova CVP-307 AWM cable question
by Aleksandre. 05/21/19 12:32 PM
Anywhere to rent a practice studio in Seattle?
by computerpro3. 05/21/19 12:28 PM
Steinway, stripped hammer rail
by jsilva. 05/21/19 11:06 AM
password probiem
by Jack Gately. 05/21/19 10:08 AM
Used Steinway - should I get one?
by lbuizza. 05/21/19 09:49 AM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,084
Posts2,830,021
Members93,373
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission