Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
138 registered members (Antihero, ando, akc42, AlphaBravoCharlie, AndrewJCW, 604Rakuda, Adam Ellis, aphexdisklavier, Alex Hutor, 34 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Agfinguy] #2814146
02/12/19 03:27 PM
02/12/19 03:27 PM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Agfinguy
I play because I feel it keeps me sharp, I retire in 6 years and want that as one of my many hobbies - there is a sense of accomplishment and romance to playing.. I like the feeling.

thumb

[Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2814156
02/12/19 03:45 PM
02/12/19 03:45 PM
UK
S
ShyPianist Offline
500 Post Club Member
ShyPianist  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

UK
Well, why not join in?

I play the piano because I need to, it’s been an integral part of me since early childhood. I’ve had a turbulent relationship with the instrument throughout my life, because it was something other people chose for me and chose to define me by. But these last few years when I haven’t been playing I have felt like a part of me is missing. Now I am playing again and I’m playing just for me. Not to win prizes, not to impress friends & family with virtuosic sounding pieces, just for me. And now I love it.

Pianist, independent music arranger, violinist, mother
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: ShyPianist] #2814250
02/12/19 06:46 PM
02/12/19 06:46 PM
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by ShyPianist
Well, why not join in?

I play the piano because I need to, it’s been an integral part of me since early childhood. I’ve had a turbulent relationship with the instrument throughout my life, because it was something other people chose for me and chose to define me by. But these last few years when I haven’t been playing I have felt like a part of me is missing. Now I am playing again and I’m playing just for me. Not to win prizes, not to impress friends & family with virtuosic sounding pieces, just for me. And now I love it.

Great reason!

[Linked Image]
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2820734
02/27/19 12:03 PM
02/27/19 12:03 PM
Virginia
G
George S Offline
George S  Offline
G

Virginia
Joe "Fingers" Carr. When I was a kid my parents got a record of him playing rags and boogie. I tried to play the piano and my sister danced to him. She became a ballet dancer and finally started to serious learn the piano after I retired.

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2822948
03/05/19 01:53 AM
03/05/19 01:53 AM
Redondo Beach, CA
R
Ravi Offline
Ravi  Offline
R

Redondo Beach, CA
I started in 2005 because I have always loved classical piano, wanted to play at some level, defragment my internet-afflicted attention span, and possibly try chamber music. It is 2019 and I've made progress and learned a bunch of pieces although my fundamentals continue to be weak and my sight reading dismal. I keep playing because there are stretches where I can feel the improvement in sound and in the ability to take a phrase where I want it to go. It's nice when I can get it even though is just focused repetition and playing from memory. When I move to a new piece, I start almost from square one. In the long lulls between those stretches of progress, cussedness comes into it - I've sunk time and effort into the instrument and weekly lessons. Although I know deep down I will quit some day, I don't want today to be that day.

(As far as the loftier goals, I've punted on ever playing chamber music, I just don't have the rhythm or the sheer processing ability required. Similarly expecting piano to help with attention span was just plain backwards. I'm not happy about giving up either but by letting go, I can direct my limited energies and talent to areas where I can make some bursty progress.)

Last edited by Ravi; 03/05/19 01:53 AM.
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2829278
03/20/19 10:32 PM
03/20/19 10:32 PM
L
Living_tribunal Offline
Living_tribunal  Offline
L

I've been compulsive about romantic piano pieces, and some late classical, for a few years. I just started to learning to gain a better understanding of the compositions, emotion, and expression.

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: AstroEd] #2831218
03/25/19 11:50 AM
03/25/19 11:50 AM
C
chongjasmine Offline
chongjasmine  Offline
C

I hope to learn the keyboard because this is a skill I will like to acquire.

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2831264
03/25/19 01:46 PM
03/25/19 01:46 PM
India
Tech-key Offline
Tech-key  Offline

India
I mostly picked up learning the piano, because I wanted to learn something related to hand-eye co-ordination. I might as well have picked juggling, or card tricks. But I happened to have a mini keyboard in my home.. Didn’t know then, that this could get addictive!

Think Twice, Play Once
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2839304
04/15/19 03:36 AM
04/15/19 03:36 AM
Hawai'i Island
B
BigIslandGuy Offline
BigIslandGuy  Offline
B

Hawai'i Island
Started in 1st grade and while at first my mom had to sit with me 1/2 hour, every night to make me practice, I came to love playing within a couple of years. Since then, it's always been a part of my life. Later, starting in my late 40s, advanced cancer and the treatments for it left my body in such a wreck, that now it's about the only thing left that I can still do half decently.

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: BigIslandGuy] #2839342
04/15/19 05:24 AM
04/15/19 05:24 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by BigIslandGuy
Started in 1st grade and while at first my mom had to sit with me 1/2 hour, every night to make me practice, I came to love playing within a couple of years. Since then, it's always been a part of my life. Later, starting in my late 40s, advanced cancer and the treatments for it left my body in such a wreck, that now it's about the only thing left that I can still do half decently.

It's really wonderful that you developed such a love for piano and that it seems to have had a role in your long-term recovery! However, that phrase about your mom was both admirable and scary at the same time. I mentally substitute "make me practice" with one pertinent for my mother regarding "sleeping," and it give me straight up shivers! But regardless, it seems it worked and no hard was done thumb And perhaps, in the end, it was how your mom helped you through your activity that made it different from my own mother.

As I mentioned in when you first intro'ed yourself on PW, I find your story inspirational! smile

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2839550
04/15/19 01:12 PM
04/15/19 01:12 PM
Spain
Sol Finker Offline
Sol Finker  Offline

Spain
I did some piano as a kid and I quit after two years of skipping lessons.
Three years ago - I am now almost 60 - I found out DP's . I did not know they had weighted keys and that you could buy one at a reasonable price. So I bought one and started playing. I thought I was going to play J.S.Bach Wohltemperiertes Klavier in a couple of years, but seeing where I am now - pianistically - I think it will take me a couple of lives to arrive there.
In any way, what I wanted is to prepare for retirement and arrive there with some piano knowledge.
I am now going around a mountain - playing piano - and I do not know how to climb it. I am a little stuck at the moment.

The good thing is that I enjoy every note.

Jaime CLP-645
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2840423
04/18/19 09:46 AM
04/18/19 09:46 AM
Hawai'i Island
B
BigIslandGuy Offline
BigIslandGuy  Offline
B

Hawai'i Island
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by BigIslandGuy

It's really wonderful that you developed such a love for piano and that it seems to have had a role in your long-term recovery! However, that phrase about your mom was both admirable and scary at the same time. I mentally substitute "make me practice" with one pertinent for my mother regarding "sleeping," and it give me straight up shivers! But regardless, it seems it worked and no hard was done thumb And perhaps, in the end, it was how your mom helped you through your activity that made it different from my own mother.

As I mentioned in when you first intro'ed yourself on PW, I find your story inspirational! smile

Thanks Tyrone. My mother was so amazingly patient. At one point, she sat with each of us three brothers sequentially for 1/2 hour apiece, every night. My brothers never caught fire with it, but at least I did, which made her very happy. The S&S B will be here Friday morning, which will certainly be inspirational for me. smile

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2840536
04/18/19 11:14 PM
04/18/19 11:14 PM
H
Hotstrings Offline
Hotstrings  Offline
H

Totally an accidental discovery. At 72 and being a guitarist all my life (62 yrs), I saw the movie La LANd . Movie my wife wanted to see. I was watching the hands of Ryan Gossling when he played Mia and Sebastian’s theme. It really didn’t look fake. Sure enough Ryan studied w a master from Toyko and for 3 months he learned those parts you see him play in the movie. I know it’s rite but still commendable. Fascinated me cause I was 72 thinking about playing.
I told my wife I wanted to try piano because as a young 11 yr old guitar student, I was learning how to read treble clef and teacher introduced me to piano. When I realized on piano you have to look at identical note but different for bass clef , I ran for the hills.Stayed w guitar —but now I’m all piano!
Totally obsessed so much that I had to seek some help as that is all I did for first year. I still practice 4-6 hrs a day but have no delusions as I have learned to accept I will never play piano like I play guitar.
I love piano so much that I draw joy from even those hanon exercises. And I don’t even have a real piano, just a Kawai es110.
I get to play on my teachers 9 foot grand at my weekly lessons and it’s sure got me thinking about selling some of my guitars. Wife will likely leave me w an acoustic in the house.
Digital can’t be holding me back too bad because I do ok on his grand. However I feel a difference.
I guess I play piano because it makes me feel like those people who die and come back but don’t wanna come back because they saw heaven. Sometime I sit under my Beyerdynamic headphones , feel like I’m in a tomb , look up, and 3 hrs went by.
Finally I love piano because I can apply years and years of music chord theory. Having 5 fingers is an incredible discovery for a guitarist as I often can color chords instantly and w 5 fingers, I can really spruce up chords . Sure occasionally guitar players might creep their thumb around neck for bass notes but I’m loving the potential for altering chords.

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Hotstrings] #2840562
04/19/19 02:58 AM
04/19/19 02:58 AM

7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Hotstrings
Finally I love piano because I can apply years and years of music chord theory. Having 5 fingers is an incredible discovery for a guitarist as I often can color chords instantly and w 5 fingers, I can really spruce up chords . Sure occasionally guitar players might creep their thumb around neck for bass notes but I’m loving the potential for altering chords.

I didn't realize guitarists were limited in their chords as now when I think guitars, I think chords. Like guitar is the official chord instrument. But it makes sense! And the mental picture of the thumb creeping around the neck of the guitar to snag a bass string made me chuckle!

Sounds like you got bit by the piano bug badly. I have a similar starter piano as you - a Roland FP30 in my case - but am plotting my soon upgrade. Enjoy!

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2852481
05/26/19 05:05 PM
05/26/19 05:05 PM
U
U3piano Offline
U3piano  Offline
U

I play the piano in an effort to drown out my girlfriend.

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2852509
05/26/19 06:45 PM
05/26/19 06:45 PM
New York City
L
LarryK Online content
1000 Post Club Member
LarryK  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
L

New York City
Originally Posted by Hotstrings

I didn't realize guitarists were limited in their chords as now when I think guitars, I think chords. Like guitar is the official chord instrument. But it makes sense! And the mental picture of the thumb creeping around the neck of the guitar to snag a bass string made me chuckle!

Sounds like you got bit by the piano bug badly. I have a similar starter piano as you - a Roland FP30 in my case - but am plotting my soon upgrade. Enjoy!

Classical guitarists don’t fret a bass string with the thumb, for that will freeze the hand on the fretboard. That thumb trick worked for Richie Havens singing Freedom at Woodstock, love him. Classical guitarists don’t tend to fret chords and strum either. Yes, the whole measure may represent a chord but we tend to play the notes individually and hold when we can, and let go when we must. Classical guitar playing is kind of balletic and much more difficult than playing chords on a steel stringed acoustic guitar.

Last edited by LarryK; 05/26/19 06:46 PM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: LarryK] #2852826
05/27/19 03:27 PM
05/27/19 03:27 PM

7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by LarryK

Classical guitarists don’t fret a bass string with the thumb, for that will freeze the hand on the fretboard. That thumb trick worked for Richie Havens singing Freedom at Woodstock, love him. Classical guitarists don’t tend to fret chords and strum either. Yes, the whole measure may represent a chord but we tend to play the notes individually and hold when we can, and let go when we must. Classical guitar playing is kind of balletic and much more difficult than playing chords on a steel stringed acoustic guitar.

That's interesting. Does that mean that in classical guitar, true chords don't exist if they are always arpeggiated? Hmmm, I didn't think of this before, but it seems that classical guitar is focused on melody, and non-classical guitar is focused on harmony.

EDIT: Or maybe I just don't understand harmony well enough, but I've always thought of single note at a time instruments, like trombone, to be more melodic than harmonic.

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2852854
05/27/19 04:54 PM
05/27/19 04:54 PM
Southwest
j&j Online content
1000 Post Club Member
j&j  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Southwest
Pianos in a band or orchestra are really the rhythm and percussion section. If you’re playing in a band, you can “lose the right hand” and just keep the left hand going keeping rhythm, and the band can keep playing the piece without losing the tempo. Music theory is easer to understand on a keyboard. It’s easier to see and understand chord changes and relationships. The downside is you have to read two clefs simultaneously.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2853316
05/28/19 09:16 PM
05/28/19 09:16 PM
Detroit
F
Fidel Offline
Fidel  Offline
F

Detroit
Why do I play piano? No idea and even less idea as to when I'll find out. In the meantime, I seem to enjoy it. That's good enough for now.

"the lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne." -- Chaucer.
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2855706
06/05/19 09:11 AM
06/05/19 09:11 AM
NC
Stieff Fan Offline
Stieff Fan  Offline

NC
I don't think there was any particular thing that spurred me to learn how to play the piano, but I do remember watching The Pianist several months ago, and just being enthralled by the emotion of the scene of the protagonist (spoilers ahead) playing Chopin's Ballad No. 1 in G Minor for the SS officer towards the end of the movie. The ending of that piece has so much emotion built into it that I can only imagine what Chopin was feeling when he composed it. Pieces like that are probably why I play, and what I strive towards playing. I'm still very much a beginner, but I love playing the piano and making music with my own hands, and I eagerly await the day that I can play advanced pieces like the one mentioned above.

Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Shigeru Kawai SK-EX
by CyberGene. 11/14/19 04:07 PM
I bought myself a Yamaha P71!
by Tyrone Slothrop. 11/14/19 03:49 PM
8 foot pianos
by funnypiano. 11/14/19 01:57 PM
What is this song?
by scriabinfanatic. 11/14/19 01:51 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,096
Posts2,890,890
Members94,968
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission