2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
55 members (dhull100, 36251, Beowulf, Badger1966, dng, anotherscott, dbudde, CyberGene, 14 invisible), 545 guests, and 407 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17
Re: Why do people not favor uprights??
outo #2828885 03/20/19 01:57 AM
L
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by outo
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Originally Posted by Living_tribunal
Who would choose a digital over an upright for action? Doesn't make a lick of sense.

The best digitals have a grand like action while uprights don't, that's why. Have you tried any?

Really??? Do you believe every bit of marketing you read ?I have one of those digitals that supposed to have a "grand like action" I can say no it does not! I have tried many digitals that supposed to have this magic action.No they do not!
Perhaps the silent mode on your upright is affecting the action.

I have played many other uprights, not just my own and so far all of them have had limitations in their action. Also I have played many digitals, so I base my opinions on experience, not marketing.

I spend years looking for a new piano and tried A LOT of different instruments. I never said the digital action is "magic", just that they sometimes make better practice tools than an upright. I find some of the posts here almost fanatically proposing uprights for all needs and I don't want anyone to fall for that trap either, but select their instrument based on their individual needs.

Well I do not know what planet you live on ? The fact is Outdo you should be aware that people no longer buy NEW accoustic pianos.
Now days the old grand is replacing the NEW accoustic upright piano!
Apart from this NEW digitals with its.so called "many funtions"which is nonsense, is also replacing the accoustic upright.This is all affecting the sale of NEW pianos.When the day dawns with the demise of accoustic pianos.Let us not wonder at the fact that only the WEALTHLY will own ACCOUSTIC pianos.
This passion to own a grand piano becomes absurd on this forum.
People write in about wanting to know if they should buy a grand with
cracked soundboard or even worse a broken bridge(or crown) ???
Do we all have to imagine that we are Princes or Princess and should
therefore own a grand(even one with a broken soundboard ) ???Or pretend that we are mini-concert pianists ???Therefore throw away the accoustic upright piano.You have got it wrong ! It is the upright accoustic piano that that is being "mangled" on this thread !!! This happens again and again and it is MINDLESS !!!

Jitin #2828888 03/20/19 02:15 AM
K
K
Less sex appeal? Its that kind of half way point thats not that appealing but gets the job done. No headphones / sound benefit or able to use high end VSTs to sound like its a CFX, no recording, just 'average' sound and better than average touch. I think I would also choose an avant grand over an upright, unless it was one of those nice ones like the YUS series, but if I spent that much, it begs the question why not a grand?

kokatla #2828894 03/20/19 02:55 AM
L
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by kokatla
Less sex appeal? Its that kind of half way point thats not that appealing but gets the job done. No headphones / sound benefit or able to use high end VSTs to sound like its a CFX, no recording, just 'average' sound and better than average touch. I think I would also choose an avant grand over an upright, unless it was one of those nice ones like the YUS series, but if I spent that much, it begs the question why not a grand?

Yes sure ,but even a U1,or a Kawai k300 will give you the satisfaction of feeling what it's like playing a real instrument ,the vibrations of strings instead of a "glorified box"with speakers in it.A box that makes use "second hand sound".If you want to listen to a recording of a CFX switch on the radio or listen to a CD.
As for" SEXY,perhaps different forum will do? I cannot advise.I am a married women !

Jitin #2828896 03/20/19 03:01 AM
L
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
L
Digital pianos are useful if you live in an apartment.If it's just a matter
of choosing between a digital and an accoustic upright piano the choice is for real sound not second hand sound or synthetic sound.

Lady Bird #2828940 03/20/19 07:52 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Digital pianos are useful if you live in an apartment.If it's just a matter
of choosing between a digital and an accoustic upright piano the choice is for real sound not second hand sound or synthetic sound.

I must agree with Lady Bird. I too, would always choose an upright to a digital piano. Even on the best digital pianos I have tried, the feel, action, feedback and sound are superior on a good upright. Just my personal experience. I do understand however, when circumstances dictate where a digital piano must be used.

[Linked Image]
Jitin #2828989 03/20/19 10:17 AM
j&j Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
High end digitals and full performance keyboards are used by professional musicians for gigs, concerts, and large church gatherings. Digital pianos and keyboards are portable. That’s a huge advantage for gigging musicians. It’s a huge advantage for me. I can easily with one hand move my keyboard next to my C3 for duets. Although the action is different from an acoustic, it’s portability, midi output, adjustable brightness, adjustable key weight (although that is kinda lame) makes it a viable alternative. I’m old but putting my 26 lb Casio and lightweight but strong stand in the truck or SUV is significantly sexier than trying to move a 400 lbs gigantic upright! What’s sexy depends on the time and function for the pianists.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
I don’t play well but I play far better than I sing.
[Linked Image]
j&j #2828997 03/20/19 10:30 AM
L
L
The sexiest part of a piano is the sweet sounds they can make.

I believe the old idiom "it's the inside that counts" is most applicable here. I am a fan of both digital and acoustic to use in different situations. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Jitin #2829012 03/20/19 10:55 AM
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O

I have played many other uprights, not just my own and so far all of them have had limitations in their action. Also I have played many digitals, so I base my opinions on experience, not marketing.

I spend years looking for a new piano and tried A LOT of different instruments. I never said the digital action is "magic", just that they sometimes make better practice tools than an upright. I find some of the posts here almost fanatically proposing uprights for all needs and I don't want anyone to fall for that trap either, but select their instrument based on their individual needs.

Well I do not know what planet you live on ? The fact is Outdo you should be aware that people no longer buy NEW accoustic pianos.
Now days the old grand is replacing the NEW accoustic upright piano!
Apart from this NEW digitals with its.so called "many funtions"which is nonsense, is also replacing the accoustic upright.This is all affecting the sale of NEW pianos.When the day dawns with the demise of accoustic pianos.Let us not wonder at the fact that only the WEALTHLY will own ACCOUSTIC pianos.
This passion to own a grand piano becomes absurd on this forum.
People write in about wanting to know if they should buy a grand with
cracked soundboard or even worse a broken bridge(or crown) ???
Do we all have to imagine that we are Princes or Princess and should
therefore own a grand(even one with a broken soundboard ) ???Or pretend that we are mini-concert pianists ???Therefore throw away the accoustic upright piano.You have got it wrong ! It is the upright accoustic piano that that is being "mangled" on this thread !!! This happens again and again and it is MINDLESS !!!

I live on planet Europe and I have not witnessed such mindlessness...I have also been on this forum for years and have not seen many absurd posts about wanting to own a grand no matter what. In fact you should maybe cool down a bit, because you are borderline insulting to people who come here for help in buying a piano...

Jitin #2829015 03/20/19 10:59 AM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Just to thrown in my tuppenceworth. I recently acquired a digital piano (Kawai CA78) and I also have a nice acoustic upright. My upright is currently badly in need of tuning and I have been patiently awaiting the piano tuner, who is finally coming next week, and it also currently has some issues with its action that I'm hoping he can resolve. At this time therefore I am enjoying the CA78 rather more, but I am very very lucky to have the choice. I have promised to write a review of the CA78 in particular comparing it to my upright, and I plan to do so, but in fairness to the acoustic piano I want to wait until I've played it for a couple of weeks following its health check.

Pianist, independent music arranger, violinist, mother
Lady Bird #2829030 03/20/19 11:44 AM
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
LadyBird,
Very well said!
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Jolly #2829067 03/20/19 01:12 PM

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
5000 Post Club Member

5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jolly
Tools cannot replace talent.

This should be in somebody's signature!

Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see
~Mark Twain
WhoDwaldi #2829073 03/20/19 01:16 PM

5000 Post Club Member

5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi
All this reminds me that a woodpecker takes to the side of my house every now and then. 😁

Oh, man, I had the same problem at my home in Georgia years ago! And it was usually on a Saturday morning, when I might feel like sleeping in!

~Mark Twain
Lady Bird #2829076 03/20/19 01:19 PM

5000 Post Club Member

5000 Post Club Member
This is all about the pianist,or how well the piano is regulated. It is often a case with grand pianos as well .

Yep, a poorly maintained grand is no better than any other poorly maintained piano.

~Mark Twain
j&j #2829163 03/20/19 04:32 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by j&j
High end digitals and full performance keyboards are used by professional musicians for gigs, concerts, and large church gatherings. Digital pianos and keyboards are portable. That’s a huge advantage for gigging musicians. It’s a huge advantage for me. I can easily with one hand move my keyboard next to my C3 for duets. Although the action is different from an acoustic, it’s portability, midi output, adjustable brightness, adjustable key weight (although that is kinda lame) makes it a viable alternative. I’m old but putting my 26 lb Casio and lightweight but strong stand in the truck or SUV is significantly sexier than trying to move a 400 lbs gigantic upright! What’s sexy depends on the time and function for the pianists.

There are times when a movable digital is useful.
We still have an 80's Roland keyboard somewhere .There are times my husband hauls it out and makes use of it for an imput for Sibelius.We also have a digital Roland piano which looks like a traditional piano which you cannot move easily.There are times when
I play this piano as well and even enjoy playing it. Its sound even though very nice as digitals go is as all digitals are very standardized.
This aspect of tone standardization is what is common for all digital pianos weither they make use of sound samples or like the Roland use synthesized sound.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 03/20/19 04:34 PM. Reason: Missing word
j&j #2829164 03/20/19 04:39 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by j&j
outo- isn’t it great that the acoustic piano market has enough options on size, sound, dynamics, color, and aesthetics that we can all find something we love? From sleek modern designs to art case beauty. If I was rich enough I’d have a fleet of fabulous pianos, including some stellar uprights, sitting in a stand alone gigantic studio. I could pick a piano to match my mood.
Which reminds me, my odds might improve a teeny tiny bit if I actually start buying lottery tickets. 😁

I thought you despised the look of upright pianos ?

Lady Bird #2829179 03/20/19 05:21 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
outo- isn’t it great that the acoustic piano market has enough options on size, sound, dynamics, color, and aesthetics that we can all find something we love? From sleek modern designs to art case beauty. If I was rich enough I’d have a fleet of fabulous pianos, including some stellar uprights, sitting in a stand alone gigantic studio. I could pick a piano to match my mood.
Which reminds me, my odds might improve a teeny tiny bit if I actually start buying lottery tickets. 😁

I thought you despised the look of upright pianos ?

Well, I don't know about j&j, but personally, I dislike the look of upright pianos. They all look to me like they belong in a saloon in the Old West, maybe with a piano roll running though it. (No disrespect to owners of uprights intended!)

Frankly, I don't know why here in the 21st century, they can't design a piano that is a bit sleeker and trimmer.... (oh wait! they have! it's called a "digital!" laugh )

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Jitin #2829194 03/20/19 06:06 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I got a lecture one time about the bulkiness of acoustic pianos--from somebody who had a POOL TABLE. grin

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
Tyrone Slothrop #2829208 03/20/19 06:53 PM
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Well, I don't know about j&j, but personally, I dislike the look of upright pianos. They all look to me like they belong in a saloon in the Old West, maybe with a piano roll running though it.

You say that like it's a bad thing!!! laugh

Last edited by TheophilusCarter; 03/20/19 06:53 PM.

Decent upright bassist; aspiring decent pianist
Present: Roland DP-603, Roland FP-30, Casio CDP-130
On Order: Yamaha MX61
Past: Casio PX-830, Casio PX-160
Etc.: PianoTeq Stage 6 (Bechstein, Bluethner, U4, Vibes, Xylo), Roland KC-80
Retsacnal #2829230 03/20/19 08:05 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi
All this reminds me that a woodpecker takes to the side of my house every now and then. 😁

Oh, man, I had the same problem at my home in Georgia years ago! And it was usually on a Saturday morning, when I might feel like sleeping in!

Alas, I have this issue sometimes now! Darn woodpecker...

[Linked Image]
TheophilusCarter #2829231 03/20/19 08:06 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TheophilusCarter
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Well, I don't know about j&j, but personally, I dislike the look of upright pianos. They all look to me like they belong in a saloon in the Old West, maybe with a piano roll running though it.

You say that like it's a bad thing!!! laugh

Yes, that would be a cool setting!

[Linked Image]
Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best D Piano/Controller under 600 US Dollars.
by RudessJR - 10/24/20 01:13 PM
Wrist/forearm rotation
by treefrog - 10/24/20 12:31 PM
Kawai Grand Piano 5’10 - asking $7,000
by Anna B. - 10/24/20 12:00 PM
Used Yamaha vs brand new Kawai?
by danlightbulb - 10/24/20 08:52 AM
What is your daily piano practice routine? And few issues!
by sharath kumar - 10/24/20 02:59 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,381
Posts3,016,641
Members99,006
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission