2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
42 members (Chouca, anotherscott, Burkey, 1957, David Lai, clothearednincompo, 11 invisible), 398 guests, and 364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Open call for advice from fellow late starters
#2828324 03/18/19 02:13 PM
OP Offline
Hello, this is my first ever post. I am new to piano but have played stringed instruments most of my life. I am dedicating myself to the piano from here on out (it's good to see it in writing and say that out loud). My wife and I are retired nomads. Everything we own has to fit in our car so I need a portable piano. I prefer to stay in the 25 lb. range as we are traveling to europe for 3 months and I want to take it with me.

I need help deciding on a piano. I am really looking hard at the Yamaha P125. It seems that there are a couple others to consider like the Casio and Roland. I dont know enough about "feel" to say one way or another but from what I read it is high on alot of people's lists. I do like the sound of the P125 and the speaker arrangement and it feels good to me. The price is good but I am OK going higher if jumping up to another category is beneficial (the new casio 3000 something or other, not sure). So please chime in.

I really chased a lot of rabbits over the years as a guitar player and never got very good. This time I am going to give it my full effort and attention and I want to do it right. I will take my time and finally learn to sight read.
Since I will be on the road I would also like advice as to skype teachers, software (playground, etc.) or anything else that will help a 56 year old ride this horse all the way to the finish line. Thank you.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Open call for advice from fellow late starters
stevechris #2828328 03/18/19 02:28 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I gave a brief review of some entry-level digital pianos that I own or tried over in this thread. However, in the under-25 lb category, two newcomers that you should consider are the Casio PX-S1000 and PX-S3000, both of which are exactly the same weight of 24.7 lbs. There are some reviews of these on Youtube, and these two pianos/models were just released at the end of January 2019. As a nomad, you might appreciate also that these new pianos can even be powered by battery.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
stevechris #2828340 03/18/19 03:00 PM
One thing that nearly everyone agrees on is that the technology used in digitals advances quickly. I'm not up on the current crop but it sounds like you're choosing between some decent models. I'm pretty partial to Yamaha, myself.

I have a very similar background, started very late, played guitar forever, etc. I really like PianoMarvel for learning. I think they have a free trial. This assumes you'll have a laptop or tablet and that WIFI is as common in Europe as it is here.

I really hate to break this to ya, but there ain't no finish line! smile

TomInCinci #2828355 03/18/19 04:15 PM
OP Offline
I was referring to my expiration date smile

stevechris #2828360 03/18/19 04:27 PM
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by stevechris

Well than hop to it and start playing/learning to tickle the ivories smile

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
stevechris #2828361 03/18/19 04:29 PM
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I have a Casio PX5s that is under 25 pounds and can be run on batteries. It doesn't have speakers though. I use it mainly with headphones for night time practice and sometimes to use at church.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
EPW #2828362 03/18/19 04:30 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by EPW
Originally Posted by stevechris

Well than hop to it and start playing/learning to tickle the ivories smile

As soon as I find the right piano, I'll be off and running!

stevechris #2828363 03/18/19 04:31 PM
D
D
You sound a lot like me, I started playing a year and a half ago after I retired after playing bass and guitar most of my life. I also have a p115 keyboard which I guess is one model older then the one you are looking at. I am completely happy with this keyboard. I have chased many a guitar over the years but thus far not had that problem with my keyboard. Is it the best? No but it is a way better keyboard than I am player. I think it sounds ok and the action is good enough to learn. I am doing the Duane Shinn course but it definitely is not for everyone. If you are interested I can pm you the name of a fantastic Skype teacher

dcupright #2828365 03/18/19 04:36 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by dcupright
You sound a lot like me, I started playing a year and a half ago after I retired after playing bass and guitar most of my life. I also have a p115 keyboard which I guess is one model older then the one you are looking at. I am completely happy with this keyboard. I have chased many a guitar over the years but thus far not had that problem with my keyboard. Is it the best? No but it is a way better keyboard than I am player. I think it sounds ok and the action is good enough to learn. I am doing the Duane Shinn course but it definitely is not for everyone. If you are interested I can pm you the name of a fantastic Skype teacher

Please PM me, very interested. I have never heard of the Duane Shinn course but I will google it now.

stevechris #2828369 03/18/19 04:46 PM
P
P
Welcome Stevechris! I think it's pretty smart to limit weight for traveling reasons. My digital is about that weight and I take it with me if I'm traveling by car. You need to have a nice case to protect it (with roller wheels). The other issue is the length. I can just barely fit mine in the back seat (toyota avalon - big car). I point this out because if you are renting a car in EU, they are usually not big enough to carry a full size piano...not to mention taking on a train. I like your enthusiasm, it's important when learning piano because it is difficult - but a fantastic retirement activity!

Progman
Baldwin Console + Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
stevechris #2828379 03/18/19 05:20 PM
C
C
I have a Yamaha P-115 and I've traveled with it on vacation (driving, no flying). No issues carrying it and set up and tear down is easy. My digital feels different than my teacher's acoustic but not so much it hurts my practice for lessons. After 1.5 years I do sort of want a better DP but that's probably not a need, just a want.

Lots of good information here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/piano/wiki/faq#wiki_choosing_a_keyboard

Last edited by Chili_Time; 03/18/19 05:22 PM.

First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Now working on Faber Piano Adventures 3B Lesson, T&A, Performance, Theory and Faber FunTime Ragtime & Marches. Kawai MP11SE. My Sound Cloud Piano recordings
[Linked Image]
stevechris #2828380 03/18/19 05:21 PM
D
D
Friends in the past going to Europe for extended vacation found it easier to buy something once there, especially if you can find something used. When vacation over sell it or donate it.

Docbop #2828387 03/18/19 05:58 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Docbop
Friends in the past going to Europe for extended vacation found it easier to buy something once there, especially if you can find something used. When vacation over sell it or donate it.

Depending on the brand, some brands are also significantly cheaper to buy in Europe than in the US. For examples of this, check the prices paid thread in the digital piano forum over here.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
stevechris #2828607 03/19/19 10:24 AM
B
B
I also came from other instruments to the piano late in life. I wanted to learn piano in the same way as guitar, start with some chords and easy songs and advance from there.
I found a free site, www.pianoplayit.com - (no affiliation) and started with the accompany section. They use popular songs you probably know, to get you started.
Made sense to me.

Good luck!

stevechris #2828608 03/19/19 10:26 AM
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Last year I was in Hong Kong and came across Roland Go & Go: Keys. These 2 are very similar 61 keyboards that are portable. Recently Roland came out with an 88 version around US$400. I play on an older model Yamaha P95 with 88 keys. The sound effects may be limited but for serious piano players all we want is a reasonable piano sound and at least 76 keys for playing advanced Classical pieces.

Docbop #2828619 03/19/19 10:41 AM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Docbop

This would be my advice.

I would not haul that piano over to Europe or back, either.

Don

Casio PX-S1000, Focal Professional CMS 40 near-field monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs (Seldom Used), Focus Rite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Yamaha MG06 Mixer
stevechris #2828815 03/19/19 07:50 PM
OP Offline
Thank you everyone for the great advice and suggestions!

stevechris #2828819 03/19/19 08:34 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
For me, schlepping 25 pounds of keyboard for 3 months would wreck my enthusiasm for both the trip and the piano.

I took a keyboard on a road trip to San Diego one time, and played it once in a week and I only had to carry it up one flight of stairs to one hotel room and down again. (I was practicing during the GOP convention when the current president received his party's nomination).

For a 3 mo. adventure, I'd listen to music, read books, GO TO CONCERTS, look at stuff and take pictures. I'd be with my travelling companion. Talk to people in bars and cafes. Eat new stuff. Walk around and get lost. Learn words in a new language.

If I were worried about the time away limiting my access to my musical progress I would GO TO MORE CONCERTS and maybe do music theory worksheets on my ipad.

25 pounds? Not a chance.

Learner
stevechris #2828820 03/19/19 08:36 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Oh-- I just thought of another thing--

You could go to Bulgaria, stay with Philip and play his crazy stable of pianos.

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2751492/piano-party-july-2019.html#Post2751492

Learner
stevechris #2829168 03/20/19 04:46 PM
S
S
Everything is a trade-off. I have a Casio Privia PX-350 which is great for quiet practice at home. The weighted keys make a big difference in my opinion compared to a keyboard. But, the trade-off is weight (24 lbs). It comes with a soft shell case with wheels which I have traveled with on car trips, RV camping and the like but flying and pulling through airports would be bit of a hassle. I had a lighter weight keyboard prior, but the lack of weighted keys just felt too cheap and not at all like an acoustic piano. If you can, i'd suggest trying out various models until you find something with a feel that suits you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Key Linkage, instead of Key Pivot ?
by Charles Cohen - 10/24/20 09:02 PM
Thumping sound from keys
by MsTwinkle - 10/24/20 06:48 PM
Korg D1 fault
by MrButcher - 10/24/20 04:41 PM
Counting sixteenth notes
by Prestzie - 10/24/20 02:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,387
Posts3,016,862
Members99,010
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission