2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
33 members (Burkey, danlightbulb, EVC2017, EssBrace, Boboulus, chrisbell, CyberGene, 6 invisible), 422 guests, and 390 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 36 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 35 36
Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course
dcupright #2826988 03/14/19 11:08 PM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by dcupright
Tonight I was going back through some of the old songs in the course practicing swing bass(I don’t think I will ever get smooth) and there was Oh Suzanna early in the course. Thought was funny since you just posted your version.

That's interesting. It's been so long since I started this course (2 years and 3 months) that I don't even remember that song being covered earlier in the course. Although I do recall at least one other song making two appearances.

I really wish this course had all hymns in it. It's hard to stay motivated to learn some of these songs. Oh Susanna is one of them.

God Bless,
David

Last edited by David B; 03/14/19 11:15 PM.

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Mac mini 2018/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Completed
Duane Shinn Praise and Gospel Course; In Progress
Duane Shinn Pro Secrets Course; On Hold
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
David B #2827640 03/16/19 05:23 PM
P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by David B
[quote=dcupright]I really wish this course had all hymns in it. It's hard to stay motivated to learn some of these songs. Oh Susanna is one of them.

Well,*I* loved your version - really, really entertaining!

TonyB #2827970 03/17/19 07:08 PM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Here is another song from lesson 35 called Lagoon Waltz. I kind of enjoyed arranging this song, but I have no desire to play it anymore. It's not perfect, but good enough to move on. No new arrangement techniques were taught. The piano sound is the N1X Bosendorfer Imperial. I really like this sound. I'll play it once through as written and then arranged.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
TonyB #2827988 03/17/19 08:02 PM
D
D
Beautiful, David, you keep me going. Thank you for that. I put lesson 10 behind me tonight and plan to start 11 tomorrow. I notice your iPad on the music stand, have you moved your music on it? I am asking because I go back and forth.

dcupright #2827989 03/17/19 08:06 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Beautiful, David, you keep me going.

As an outside observer not doing this series, I am really impressed that David has made it 35 weeks. That is some dedication. I can only imagine the overwhelming majority of those who started this course have quit long before week 35. David is well past the halfway mark.

Keep it up, David! I guess the new piano was one of the incentives for you to finish? smile

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Tyrone Slothrop #2827999 03/17/19 08:42 PM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Beautiful, David, you keep me going. Thank you for that. I put lesson 10 behind me tonight and plan to start 11 tomorrow.

Wonderful! It feels good to move forward.

I notice your iPad on the music stand, have you moved your music on it? I am asking because I go back and forth.

I purchased the Yamaha UD-WL01 (wireless adaptor) so that I could try the Smart Pianist App to control the N1X. It works ok. I can record a wav file right onto the iPad.

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

As an outside observer not doing this series, I am really impressed that David has made it 35 weeks. That is some dedication. I can only imagine the overwhelming majority of those who started this course have quit long before week 35. David is well past the halfway mark.

Keep it up, David! I guess the new piano was one of the incentives for you to finish? smile

I was hoping to be done with this course by now, but there is still more to go. It's hard for me to quit once I start something. Also, I really believe this material is helping me learn how to play the piano. After this course is done, I'll start Duane's Praise and Gospel series.

I'm definitely more motivated to practice with the N1X compared to the other digital pianos I've owned. It's a beautiful instrument.

God Bless,
David

Last edited by David B; 03/17/19 08:43 PM.

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
David B #2828004 03/17/19 08:58 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
After this course is done, I'll start Duane's Praise and Gospel series.

I'm definitely more motivated to practice with the N1X compared to the other digital pianos I've owned. It's a beautiful instrument.

God Bless,
David

After 52 weeks and the Praise/Gospel series, there better be an opening in your church for a new volunteer pianist, because you'll be fully qualified! grin

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Tyrone Slothrop #2828016 03/17/19 09:56 PM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D

After 52 weeks and the Praise/Gospel series, there better be an opening in your church for a new volunteer pianist, because you'll be fully qualified! grin

Occasionally I will slip to the piano and play a couple songs in-between services when nobody is really paying attention. That is all I feel comfortable doing for now. Maybe in 10 years if I'm still alive I will be able to do more.

God Bless,
David

Last edited by David B; 03/17/19 09:56 PM.

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
David B #2828030 03/17/19 10:59 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Maybe in 10 years if I'm still alive I will be able to do more.

You've already progressed so far from the Alouette on your YT channel. I think you will end up surprise yourself! smile

[Linked Image]

Tyrone Slothrop #2828052 03/18/19 12:49 AM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D

You've already progressed so far from the Alouette on your YT channel. I think you will end up surprise yourself! smile

Yeah, that was way back at the beginning of the course. I think that was the introduction to swing bass. I remember really struggling to learn that.

I was looking ahead to lesson 37 and there is one song with some crazy ascending and descending runs. I can tell that's going to take a long time to learn.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
TonyB #2831305 03/25/19 04:34 PM
C
C
The course is really expensive.
Is it worth the price?

chongjasmine #2831309 03/25/19 04:38 PM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by chongjasmine
Is it worth the price?

It probably is …. if you do it.

There is a clear path (step by step) leading you toward being a very good piano player.

BUT …. you have to do it.

That is not always what happens.

It depends upon the type of person you are.

Bulldogs that never let go …. do well.

Those looking for a fast or easy way … fall by the wayside.

Only you can judge which you are.

Don

Casio PX-S1000, Focal Professional CMS 40 near-field monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs (Seldom Used), Focus Rite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Yamaha MG06 Mixer
chongjasmine #2831330 03/25/19 05:34 PM
D
D
Is it worth the price?

For me it is. What I do is buy 4 DVDs at a time for 100.00. This last me 3 months or so as I can’t do a weeks lesson in a week( partly because it costs a lot and I want to make sure I understand what I need to). I do lots of reviewing and applying the techniques to other songs so it takes me a while.

Your mileage may vary, from the posts on this thread it appears most people don’t stay with it or at least they seem to quit posting. It is not worth the price if you don’t stay with it.

Good luck whatever you decide to do. There are lots of ways to learn.

dmd #2831342 03/25/19 05:59 PM
T
TonyB Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by dmd
Is it worth the price?

It probably is …. if you do it.

There is a clear path (step by step) leading you toward being a very good piano player.

BUT …. you have to do it.

That is not always what happens.

It depends upon the type of person you are.

Bulldogs that never let go …. do well.

Those looking for a fast or easy way … fall by the wayside.

Only you can judge which you are.

Since I started the thread, I will respond to this, strictly speaking for myself. I have found that, for myself (i.e. others may feel differently about their own experience), posting in forums all the time becomes my piano life. I don't want that, so I don't often post anymore. I do occasionally skim through one or two of the sub-forums, but otherwise prefer to spend my time playing piano. I find, again for myself (i.e. again, others may feel differently about their own experience), that talking about playing piano seems to detract from my own motivation to play. Playing motivates me to play.

So, just because some of us don't post frequently, does not at all mean that we fell away because we were looking for a fast or easy way. Quite the contrary - we may well be actually playing piano instead of posting frequently to online forums. Clearly, there are those who do post AND are playing regularly, as evidenced by the videos that one person here has been posting of his progress.

Tony

Last edited by TonyB; 03/25/19 06:01 PM.

Roland V-Grand
TonyB #2831430 03/25/19 11:08 PM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by TonyB
So, just because some of us don't post frequently, does not at all mean that we fell away because we were looking for a fast or easy way. Quite the contrary - we may well be actually playing piano instead of posting frequently to online forums.

Hi Tony,

Clearly, you took exception to my comment about "falling by the wayside".

You read more into it than was intended.

I never implied that you could identify those who have "fallen" by noting their lack of postings on this forum.

It was my intention to stress the point that the course would not be worth it if the user was looking for a fast and easy way to learn.

It is not.

Don

Casio PX-S1000, Focal Professional CMS 40 near-field monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs (Seldom Used), Focus Rite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Yamaha MG06 Mixer
dmd #2831560 03/26/19 11:08 AM
T
TonyB Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by dmd
So, just because some of us don't post frequently, does not at all mean that we fell away because we were looking for a fast or easy way. Quite the contrary - we may well be actually playing piano instead of posting frequently to online forums.

Hi Tony,

Clearly, you took exception to my comment about "falling by the wayside".

You read more into it than was intended.

I never implied that you could identify those who have "fallen" by noting their lack of postings on this forum.

It was my intention to stress the point that the course would not be worth it if the user was looking for a fast and easy way to learn.

It is not.

What I took exception to is how you worded your opinion regarding the course and the folks working through it. As you must know, since you seem to comment on nearly all of them, there is a multitude of self-study courses available these days. I believe that the Duane Shinn course has been around longer than many of the other courses, and may well be more intense than some of the newer courses. Someone who has real experience with a wide variety of such courses could comment knowledgably on that. Each course has its own approach and ultimate musical goal for teaching folks to play piano. This is a good thing, since there are many learning styles and at least as many individual musical goals.

Just as a person might shop for a "live" teacher by interviewing and even taking a number of lessons from each teacher being considered, so might a person try a number of courses before finding those that are best suited to a given person's musical goals and learning styles. It can take time to determine what one's musical goals really are, and possibly to discover what one's learning style is. This process does not necessarily have to indicate that a given individual is looking for an easier way, but instead a more individually suitable learning path. I suspect, but cannot prove, that those who find what is right for their individual needs, will tend to stick with it, even if, to those watching that individual's process of searching for that "right" course of study, might wrongly conclude otherwise.

Tony

Last edited by TonyB; 03/26/19 11:12 AM.

Roland V-Grand
TonyB #2831580 03/26/19 12:03 PM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Ok Tony,

Now, I get it.

You think that since you may not have continued with the course (yet, anyway) I am including you as someone looking for fast and easy methods and "falling by the wayside".

I truly never intended that.

I would have to have included myself in that category.

I understand that one must "try" a course before determining whether there is a "fit"

I guess I was just trying to warn the op that it is not a quick and easy method in terms of being "worth it".

Probably worded it badly. Sorry.

Last edited by dmd; 03/26/19 12:05 PM.

Don

dmd #2831617 03/26/19 01:49 PM
T
TonyB Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by dmd
Ok Tony,

Now, I get it.

You think that since you may not have continued with the course (yet, anyway) I am including you as someone looking for fast and easy methods and "falling by the wayside".

I truly never intended that.

I would have to have included myself in that category.

I understand that one must "try" a course before determining whether there is a "fit"

I guess I was just trying to warn the op that it is not a quick and easy method in terms of being "worth it".

Probably worded it badly. Sorry.

Not at all. What makes you think I am not working my way through this course? That seems quite an assumption on your part, since I never said anything to indicate that I am not working on the course.

This isn't about me, but instead about exactly what I explained in my earlier response. I think this concludes our little discussion. There really isn't any more to say here without just repeating ourselves.

Tony

Last edited by TonyB; 03/26/19 01:57 PM.

Roland V-Grand
TonyB #2831647 03/26/19 03:01 PM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
What makes you think I am not working my way through this course?

Well, I did not say you were not …. I said MAY not have …. I knew you might be (are) a bit sensitive on that point.

Since you asked …. I now think you are not working through it because you are (I think) overly sensitive about that point.

I certainly could be mistaken.

You can clear that up very easily …. if you choose to ….. just indicate that you are … indeed … still working through the course.

Are you ?

Don

dmd #2831651 03/26/19 03:10 PM
T
TonyB Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by dmd
What makes you think I am not working my way through this course?

Well, I did not say you were not …. I said MAY not have …. I knew you might be (are) a bit sensitive on that point.

Since you asked …. I now think you are not working through it because you are (I think) overly sensitive about that point.

I certainly could be mistaken.

You can clear that up very easily …. if you choose to ….. just indicate that you are … indeed … still working through the course.

Are you ?

OK. Yes, I am working through the course. Now, return the favor. Are you working through the course? You are participating in the course thread and doling out opinion and advice about the course to folks interested in it.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
Page 20 of 36 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 35 36

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Key Linkage, instead of Key Pivot ?
by Charles Cohen - 10/24/20 09:02 PM
Thumping sound from keys
by MsTwinkle - 10/24/20 06:48 PM
Korg D1 fault
by MrButcher - 10/24/20 04:41 PM
Counting sixteenth notes
by Prestzie - 10/24/20 02:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,387
Posts3,016,843
Members99,010
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission