Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
62 registered members (cmb13, AlphaBravoCharlie, Animisha, ChatNoir, BethRH, b3maniac, Chris Vitale, AprilE, 11 invisible), 2,133 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Fender Rhodes - the real sound? #2827663
03/16/19 06:31 PM
03/16/19 06:31 PM
Philadelphia
Bruce In Philly Offline OP
Bruce In Philly  Offline OP

Philadelphia
I have an RD2000 and it has a TON of epianos... Rhodes, Whurlitzers, etc.... and they sound great. But...

Did the real Rhodes have distortion in the bass? I just don't remember them having that.

On my RD2000, all the Rhodes sounds have distortion (fat/overdrive?) that comes on at C below middle C. Was the real Rhodes like that? I am looking to eliminate some of it.

Now on the RD2000, each ePiano sound has so many effects that you can turn on/off. These effects are mimics of classic boxes such as a Space Echo and fuzz boxes, phasers etc. And each selectable ePiano sounds on the RD2000 has at least one of these effects in-line turned on (each effect has all the original controls mimiced too... pretty amazing). So I went through many of the the Rhodes sounds and turned them off looking for a "pure" Rhodes and darned if all of the original, base samples appear to have that distortion in the lower register.

Any advice? Am I "wrong" in wanting to eliminate that distortion? I LOVE the Rhodes sounds and have played a real one, on a few occasions, back in the late '70s and early 80s... I loved the purity but soleness of those instruments... I just don;t remember there being distortions down there.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 03/16/19 06:33 PM.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Fender Rhodes - the real sound? [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2827683
03/16/19 07:58 PM
03/16/19 07:58 PM
Sydney, Australia
S
sullivang Offline
3000 Post Club Member
sullivang  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S

Sydney, Australia
Can you upload a recording? If it has a hard "clipping" type of distortion, then I don't think that's authentic. On the other hand, if it sounds really "farty", like at time 9:25 here: https://youtu.be/vD1Q_C0kgeA then I think that is authentic.

Greg

Re: Fender Rhodes - the real sound? [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2827685
03/16/19 08:14 PM
03/16/19 08:14 PM
R
Rhodes74 Offline
Rhodes74  Offline
R

It might be the amp simulation running into saturation.
Even on the otherwise very nice korg sv1 the saturation starts at 2 on a dial to 10
and sounds amazingly ugly.

-Rhodes74

Re: Fender Rhodes - the real sound? [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2827689
03/16/19 08:28 PM
03/16/19 08:28 PM
Sydney, Australia
S
sullivang Offline
3000 Post Club Member
sullivang  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S

Sydney, Australia
(re the "farty" sound - that's a rather extreme example. The Rhodes' pickups could be moved, and the further away the pickups from the tines, the less aggressive the tone. I think what many players seek is a very mellow tone when played softly, and a nice bark when played hard - in other words very expressive)

Greg

Re: Fender Rhodes - the real sound? [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2827756
03/17/19 06:04 AM
03/17/19 06:04 AM
Vught, The Netherlands
Dave Horne Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Dave Horne  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Vught, The Netherlands
Is that 'distortion' replicated through headphones?

website | mp3 files | Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Re: Fender Rhodes - the real sound? [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2827780
03/17/19 08:54 AM
03/17/19 08:54 AM
Philadelphia

Philadelphia
OK... I think I found a big part of my issue late last night. I have the keytouch to LIGHT as the default for the keyboard. This not only changes the dynamics of hitting a key... what I want... but also changes the timbre of tones. I knew it did this to the modeled piano sounds so I found a modeled piano sound and tweaked it to compensate for this timbre change. I didn;t realize it also extends to other sounds such as the Rhodes sounds.

So, with LIGHT touch, you get the fat overdrive sound without pressing very hard. I don't like this one bit. There is nothing wrong with the piano.

In short, I really like my RD2000 except from one big BUT. Generally, the piano lacks dynamics... you really have to pound on the keys for the range. I sent a tech question into Roland shortly after I got the piano and asked Roland how to improve the dynamics of modeled piano sounds and they said the only way to do that was touch to LIGHT. That, however, changes the timbre too.. as if you are hitting hard. They then told me there is no way to increase dynamics alone.

So I am not really happy with this one but serious item with the keybaord.... changing dynamics without timbre.

So, I would still like help finding a Rhodes sound with the least amount of fat overdrive when pressing hard.... I will use that as a starting point.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 03/17/19 08:56 AM.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Re: Fender Rhodes - the real sound? [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2827836
03/17/19 12:23 PM
03/17/19 12:23 PM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
C

Richmond, BC, Canada
A different approach would be to use either a modelled VST (Lounge Lizard is one possibility) which gives lots of tonal control, or a small hardware emulator like the Yamaha Reface CP.

The Reface CP (I think) has an 88-note range, when driven from an 88-key DP. Not terribly expensive, and you can probably find one to try out.

I sympathize with you - the RD-2000 isn't cheap, and shouldn't have the problem you describe.

Last edited by Charles Cohen; 03/17/19 12:24 PM.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: Fender Rhodes - the real sound? [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2827881
03/17/19 02:41 PM
03/17/19 02:41 PM
A
anotherscott Offline
5000 Post Club Member
anotherscott  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
A

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
OK... I think I found a big part of my issue late last night. I have the keytouch to LIGHT as the default for the keyboard. This not only changes the dynamics of hitting a key... what I want... but also changes the timbre of tones.

Well, yes... What changing to LIGHT does is tell the keyboard to generate the higher MIDI velocities without your having to hit the keys so hard. Higher velocity (on a piano or an EP) means more volume AND different timbre. When you hit a real piano or EP harder, it changes in both volume and tone. If it changed only in volume, pianos samples would need only one velocity layer... the whole point of the additional velocity layers is to reproduce the other (non-volume) aspects of hitting a key harder or softer. Roland SN does this through modeling rather than by sampling more velocities, but the same concept applies.

Re: Fender Rhodes - the real sound? [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2827905
03/17/19 03:40 PM
03/17/19 03:40 PM
Sao Paul, Brazil
E
EVC2017 Offline
EVC2017  Offline
E

Sao Paul, Brazil
Bruce, it is not clear to me what the issue is. Do you want to have the Rhodes alone or you want it layered with an AP? If the former, you may set a program or scene with key touch set to whatever you need for it. I tried with scenes but it must work with programs as well.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
Re: Fender Rhodes - the real sound? [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2827914
03/17/19 03:58 PM
03/17/19 03:58 PM
Sydney, Australia
S
sullivang Offline
3000 Post Club Member
sullivang  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S

Sydney, Australia
Sounds like the touch settings aren't flexible/subtle enough - I have the same problem with my P-515. In Bruce's case the "light" setting is affecting the lower velocities too much. I would have hoped a pro board like that would provide very flexible velocity curve adjustment, and on a per-preset basis too.

Greg

Re: Fender Rhodes - the real sound? [Re: EVC2017] #2827915
03/17/19 04:00 PM
03/17/19 04:00 PM
Philadelphia

Philadelphia
I have not
Originally Posted by EVC2017
Bruce, it is not clear to me what the issue is. Do you want to have the Rhodes alone or you want it layered with an AP? If the former, you may set a program or scene with key touch set to whatever you need for it. I tried with scenes but it must work with programs as well.

I have not thought through a strategy yet. I have one big Program now that sets up my board the way I use it for everything but interacting with my computer (for that I make a few setting chagnes). Yes, I can always have another program and I do not layer the Rhodes with a modeled piano. So yes, a second program, one set to LIGHT and the other MEDIUM will work. But I do layer, sometimes, a PAD with the either the modeled piano and the Rhodes. So now I have to go through each of my sounds and dick with the touch setting.

I noticed if you go into ZONE EDIT, you can drop down and edit the "zone" or sound you selected. I have the Rhodes as Zone 3. If you scroll over, there is a tab for VELOCITY, and then a sub thing called SENS or sensitivity. For modeled pianos, it does nothing.

Anywho..... lots to dick with. I really want to just keep everything just there for me.

BTW, it is interesting as I become more familiar with the board and the sounds of the various ones I play, my ear is getting more critical. For the Rhodes, it was just starting to bug my left hand sounds as the overdrive sounded muddy and annoying.

I still feel Roland did not do a good job with dynamics of the modeled sounds. With my RD600, the touch setting was fine on Medium. With this RD2000, I needed to select LIGHT to get the same dynamics out of it however, now the timbre curve is outta whack. Ideally, Roland should have two different parameters: 1) Dynamics (or sensitivity) that shifted the dynamics curve, and then 2), Timbre/Impact curve.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 03/17/19 04:02 PM.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Re: Fender Rhodes - the real sound? [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2827928
03/17/19 04:37 PM
03/17/19 04:37 PM
Sydney, Australia
S
sullivang Offline
3000 Post Club Member
sullivang  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S

Sydney, Australia
I suspect if it simply allowed the user to set their desired "force required to reach velocity 127", it would go a long way to solving the problem. With that set, THEN feed that linear 1 - 127 scale in to the touch setting modifications. In my case (P-515), I'd be pretty happy just using the default Medium curve, if that curve was linearly scaled to reach 127 at my desired playing force.

Ideally though, we'd have full control over the velocity curve.

Greg.

Re: Fender Rhodes - the real sound? [Re: sullivang] #2827931
03/17/19 04:43 PM
03/17/19 04:43 PM
Philadelphia

Philadelphia
Originally Posted by sullivang
I suspect if it simply allowed the user to set their desired "force required to reach velocity 127", it would go a long way to solving the problem. With that set, THEN feed that linear 1 - 127 scale in to the touch setting modifications. In my case (P-515), I'd be pretty happy just using the default Medium curve, if that curve was linearly scaled to reach 127 at my desired playing force.

Ideally though, we'd have full control over the velocity curve.

Greg.

Yes, I think you get what I am saying about dynamics.... I don;t think everyone is getting what I am suggesting.... separating the velocity curve (loudness difference) with the timber curve (the brighter sound when strings are hit harder). Let's do a thought experiement....

Sit at your real acoustic piano.... press middle C with a soft press.... the volume is low. Now turn and press your keyboard with the same softness. Now adjust the volume knob to make the volume the same as the acoustic piano with the same pressure. Now turn back to the acoustic piano and hit the note hard as you would in a loud passage. Now turn and play the RD2000 with that same force..... on my RD2000 the resultant volume is less than the acoustic. In otherwords, the RD2000 lacks dynamics. Now when it comes to timbre, the unit changes what appears to be fine... you never really know because all acoustic pianos are different.

So what I want, is the same dynamics as the acoustic (more difference in volume between a soft and hard press) but not change the timbre changes... just spread it out more equally over the broader range.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Re: Fender Rhodes - the real sound? [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2827935
03/17/19 04:49 PM
03/17/19 04:49 PM
Sydney, Australia
S
sullivang Offline
3000 Post Club Member
sullivang  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S

Sydney, Australia
Hang on a tick - surely the RD2000 has a separate control for the dynamic range? I.e - the difference in *loudness* between PPP and FFF, completely separate to timbre? I had this over 20 years ago in the Kurzweil PX-1000 module, and again in the Kawai MP9000 stage piano, which is also ancient now.

I certainly didn't understand until now you had an issue with the dynamic range.
This setting will mostly likely be local to each preset - not global.

Greg.

Last edited by sullivang; 03/17/19 04:51 PM.
Re: Fender Rhodes - the real sound? [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2827957
03/17/19 06:27 PM
03/17/19 06:27 PM
A
anotherscott Offline
5000 Post Club Member
anotherscott  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
A

I don;t think everyone is getting what I am suggesting.... separating the velocity curve (loudness difference) with the timber curve (the brighter sound when strings are hit harder). Let's do a thought experiement....

Sit at your real acoustic piano.... press middle C with a soft press.... the volume is low. Now turn and press your keyboard with the same softness. Now adjust the volume knob to make the volume the same as the acoustic piano with the same pressure. Now turn back to the acoustic piano and hit the note hard as you would in a loud passage. Now turn and play the RD2000 with that same force..... on my RD2000 the resultant volume is less than the acoustic.

What are you using for an amp/speaker? That might be a relevant variable here.

Now when it comes to timbre, the unit changes what appears to be fine... you never really know because all acoustic pianos are different.

So what I want, is the same dynamics as the acoustic (more difference in volume between a soft and hard press) but not change the timbre changes

You can get what you want on some other boards, which let you change which sample is triggered at which velocities, allowing you to play a "quieter" sample more loudly, instead of assuming that you want the louder sample when you play more loudly. But the RD2000 does not appear to offer that level of sound customization, even on its sample-based (non-modeled) sounds.

Re: Fender Rhodes - the real sound? [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2827979
03/17/19 07:42 PM
03/17/19 07:42 PM
Sydney, Australia
S
sullivang Offline
3000 Post Club Member
sullivang  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S

Sydney, Australia
Regarding the SENS setting - the description suggests that it may actually be a dynamic range setting (i.e volume only - not timbre - but it's hard to be sure), but you said it has no effect on modelled sounds. That's unfortunate. (and indeed, the description says it has no effect on "certain tones")

Greg

Re: Fender Rhodes - the real sound? [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2827985
03/17/19 07:59 PM
03/17/19 07:59 PM
Sydney, Australia
S
sullivang Offline
3000 Post Club Member
sullivang  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S

Sydney, Australia
The "Sound Lift" setting looks like it may also control dynamic range, and I think this setting does work for modelled sounds.

The "Velo Key Follow Sens" may also be of use, since that controls how the velocity sensitivity varies across the keyboard. (you said the problem is with the low notes).

Greg.

Re: Fender Rhodes - the real sound? [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2827997
03/17/19 08:30 PM
03/17/19 08:30 PM
Philadelphia

Philadelphia
So to respond to all since my last post....

I contacted Roland's support on this. In short, they said there is no adjustment for dynamics with their modeled sounds. They suggested the way to do this is set the touch to LIGHT... but of course, it also moves the timbre as if you are pounding the keys... everything becomes bright and poundy with LIGHT. This is not what I want. So... for modeled sound (V-Piano) Roland does NOT have a dynamics control and therefore forget about a timbre-velocity control.

I could get all this to work if Roland allowed touch to be assigned by selection but unfortunately, it is set globally for everything.

Regarding the SENS (sensitivity) setting in the VELOCITY section of the editor.... yes you can change these values from negative to positive... however, it does nothing with the modeled sounds. Just nothing. This is dopey.... if it doesn't apply, it should be greyed out. I played with this setting when I was dicking with dynamics back when I got the unit. Also, Roland stated flatly to me there was no dynamics control on modeled sounds.

However..... remember the RD2000 has two sound engines and I was always asking Roland about modeled sounds only. I suspect the SENS will work for other sounds... but I haven't tried. Sound Lift... never found that.. . let me work on all of this. I will focus on tweaking the Rhodes sounds (sample-based sounds) this week. I was only dealing with the modeled piano sounds. BTW, I got the sound and dynamics I like using S09 ACO Grand 3. It has a big, dull sound with deep resonating bass. When put to LIGHT touch, the sound brightens up but is ok given it is dull to start with. Then I tweaked the EQ to make it really nice. So I got this sound to work fine, but LIGHT throws off all the other sounds such as the Rhodes I liked on MEDIUM touch.

Yep, for how amazing I feel the RD2000 is, I think Roland blew it on this one. Interesting how your hearing and sensitivity improves as you gain experience with something. BTW, I had a RD600 prior to this unit and I found Medium Touch on it to be fine... just fine.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 03/17/19 08:33 PM.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Re: Fender Rhodes - the real sound? [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2828010
03/17/19 09:18 PM
03/17/19 09:18 PM
Sydney, Australia
S
sullivang Offline
3000 Post Club Member
sullivang  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S

Sydney, Australia
Good luck. Re Sound Lift, I have a suspicion it will be a compressor/expander type of effect - not exactly what you need.

Greg

Re: Fender Rhodes - the real sound? [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2828132
03/18/19 07:04 AM
03/18/19 07:04 AM
R
Rhodes74 Offline
Rhodes74  Offline
R

Without an audio sample it is not quite clear what the sound really is.
Have you tried adjusting or bypassing the amp simulation?

-rhodes74

Last edited by Rhodes74; 03/18/19 07:05 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ringing sound G3
by Idotdot. 09/21/19 10:56 PM
Had Stroke - changing direction
by oneilt130. 09/21/19 08:58 PM
Progression suggestions
by Jake0254. 09/21/19 07:24 PM
Native Instruments NOIRE demo & short review
by Keunyoung Song. 09/21/19 05:38 PM
Need Help Determining The Damage Done To A Clavinova CLP-220
by Thedominationer. 09/21/19 04:46 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,152
Posts2,871,890
Members94,474
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission