Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
139 registered members (AndrewJCW, alexPixel, 8ude, Abdol, ALEXANDER DYKER, aiako, Anglagard44, AlphaBravoCharlie, ando, 35 invisible), 2,015 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bach Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room #2827395
03/16/19 02:32 AM
03/16/19 02:32 AM
Finland
O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
Welcome to the general discussion thread for the AB Forum Bach Themed Recital!

Please use this thread for any discussion of the pieces in the Bach Themed Recital

Discussions and replies can be posted at-will. Feel free to comment on any or all individual pieces. Some members offer comments on each submission individually; others offer general congratulations. Either approach is appropriate. Feel free to offer more specific, technical feedback if the participant had indicated that technical feedback was welcome.

For those who wish to comment on all pieces, a copy and paste template for offering feedback can be found here:
Bach Themed Recital Response Template

Please use this thread only to discuss recital performances. If you have any comments or suggestions about ways to make the recital process better, please start a separate thread.

Enjoy the recital!

Re: Bach Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: outo] #2827504
03/16/19 09:18 AM
03/16/19 09:18 AM
Owen Sound, Ontario
G
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
Greener  Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

2000 Post Club Member
G

Owen Sound, Ontario
Thank you outo, for setting this up for us. Regrets, Schubertian and hope you are well. I have just done some skimming this morning and immediately impressed. Bach is the cream of the crop and nice to be in your good company while preparing for this recital. So many good works that I was not even aware of and hearing for very first time. Helps keep things in perspective for me of how little I've scratched the surface. Thank you all for participating with these fine performances.

1) Jason Lenthe - Invention #13 in A Minor, BWV 783
Nicely done, clean articulate playing and clear recording. No complaints, but be mindful and try not to rush. I noticed it at about 30 seconds and picks up from there. This is sometimes harder to control when recording or performing with everything else there is to worry about. But will help you sound more confident as it will feel more relaxed and natural. Meanwhile, nice choice and well played.

2) sinophilia – Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring
I enjoyed the video. Nice we are in same key and so easy to see the similarities. Also, we chose an almost identical pace when you look at the recorded length. You're not rushed at all and maintain a very solid tempo. Good job with that and better then I did on that front. I'd like to hear the tenor melody stand out a bit more in places, though I think they should color code where they actually want the melody to be. It moves around in this and is not always obvious. Any rate, really good. Would not be a big stretch now for the Hess arrangement if you were ever interested in it. Seems it is just a little fuller in places, but not much in it.

... Time for breakfast break ...

Re: Bach Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: Greener] #2827507
03/16/19 09:49 AM
03/16/19 09:49 AM
Italy
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
sinophilia  Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

1000 Post Club Member

Italy
Ouch I hadn't even noticed that we submitted the same piece. It's nice that we chose a similar tempo, and we also have a very similar piano! smile

Thank you for your kind comments. The tenor should be louder, definitely. I listened to the actual Chorale only after my recording (silly!) and only then I noticed that most of the piece is actually an accompaniment by strings. I tried to record again but I kept adding new mistakes.

I had a look at score for the beautiful arrangement that you play, but I don't think it's feasible for me at this time. I actually had a hard time learning this easier one.

Re: Bach Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: outo] #2827529
03/16/19 10:52 AM
03/16/19 10:52 AM
I
Ido Offline
Ido  Offline
I

I haven't listened to all the recordings yet, but I just wanted to point out how high the level is!! incredible job everyone, I'm truly amazed!

For now I'll just regard the pieces I've listened to so far:

01. Jason Lenthe - Invention #13 in A Minor, BWV 783

Jason, I really like your channel and your taste in music. You played that piece beautifully. I'd like to hear you play it a bit slower a bit, maybe to give my slow brain some time to comprehend the music and maybe to let the voices ring more time together.

02. sinophilia - Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring
sinophilia I'll use this opportunity to say I really like your playing. Every time I hear you play a piece you make me want to play that piece myself. It happened with Fuchs, Schumann and Bach already. I like your touch and sound. I'm glad you chose to post this piece and it's a very nice arrangement.

03. Tim Adrianson - Prelude from English Suite #6, BWV811
Tim Adrianson - you are a pro. Really. This is top level. This applies to your other recordings as well.

04. dynamobt/Marilyn - Invention #6 E Major
I really liked the performance. I wasn't familiar with the piece, it is beautiful!

05. Claudemir Medeiros - Polonaise BWV anh 128
Claudemir Medeiros you are ridiculously good for 1.5 years of playing! I listened to other recordings on your channel, very good!

07. SiFi - Simon Finlow - Partita #2 BWV 826, Sarabande and Caprice
Really good! I really liked your sound and your sense of timing and expression! That's how I like Bach to be played.

08. Greener/Jeff - Badinerie
This is a very nice arrangement! You get a great sound out of that piano. I'd bring the tempo down a bit and maybe cut down a bit on the ornaments, in order to keep a more steady rhythm, as it's a very technical piece.

09. computerpro3 - Bach-Busoni Chaconne
Another brilliant performance. Very dramatic. Loved the contrast in dynamics between the repetitions.

10. Peterws - French Suite, 5, Allemande
a VERY pleasing performance to my ears.

13. Michael KK Lam - Minuet in G Major & g minor, BWV Anh 114, 115
This is very nice and the harpsichord sound fit here I think. Please pay attention to the rhythm on the G major minuet.

14. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Menuet In G Minor, BWV 842
Very nice piece. I think you can benefit from playing it in a more relaxed manner (mentally), give specific notes some more space, rubato. I think this piece calls for it. Anyway, amazing level and technique, especially for that short experience.

15. Solfinker - Little Prelude BWV 927
It's illegal to play this good after just 3 years. Nice little piece.

16. Snejana - Snejana Shegheva
Very nice and refreshing piece.

17. cmb13 - Craig - Adagio in D minor, BWV 974
Very nice piece which I wasn't familiar with. It sounds simple but it's very exposed and it's a great challenge to make it really sing. I like the direction you took there with the dynamics and tempo, it makes it dramatic and tells a story. Sure there's work to do to make it more steady but I think it has a lot of potential.

18. Greener/Jeff - Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring
This is a very challenging arrangement, I think you do it justice. VERY pleasant sounding. It really sings!

19. MeganR - Prelude in D Minor BWV 940
Superb performance. You bring out the voices remarkably well!

That's it for now, I will listen to the rest soon!

Re: Bach Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: Ido] #2827615
03/16/19 03:29 PM
03/16/19 03:29 PM
Alagoas - Brazil
C
Claudemir Offline
Claudemir  Offline
C

Alagoas - Brazil
Originally Posted by Ido
I haven't listened to all the recordings yet, but I just wanted to point out how high the level is!! incredible job everyone, I'm truly amazed!

For now I'll just regard the pieces I've listened to so far:

05. Claudemir Medeiros - Polonaise BWV anh 128
Claudemir Medeiros you are ridiculously good for 1.5 years of playing! I listened to other recordings on your channel, very good!

Thank you so much. Nowadays are a little bit more than 2 years hahaha.

Started learning on December 2016.

Nowadays studying classical plus pop music.

My Youtube channel
Re: Bach Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: outo] #2827623
03/16/19 03:38 PM
03/16/19 03:38 PM
S
Snejana Offline
Snejana  Offline
S

01. Jason Lenthe - Invention #13 in A Minor, BWV 783

I watched the video, and I was very impressed with the dexterity. There seemed to be a lot of motion, so I am assuming it was challenging to play. I generally prefer the faster Bach rhytms, but this felt a tidy bit too fast (especially since I was watching it). I wish I can try it, but this piece is not at the right level for me yet.

Re: Bach Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: outo] #2827625
03/16/19 03:44 PM
03/16/19 03:44 PM
S
Snejana Offline
Snejana  Offline
S

2) sinophilia – Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring

What an elegant play! I can listen to this over and over. I have seen this piece (the title) many times, and maybe even heard it, but I can say that I 100% did not expect it to sound this nice. So beautiful!

Re: Bach Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: outo] #2827629
03/16/19 04:02 PM
03/16/19 04:02 PM
S
Snejana Offline
Snejana  Offline
S

03. Tim Adrianson - Prelude from English Suite #6, BWV811

Enjoy I did smile An outstanding play all throughout!

The recording had some sound feedback, which I always get on my recordings as well, and I can't figure out how to get rid of them. It sounded like the microphone is too close, but I am not sure if that is fixable. Nonetheless, in your case, that did not take away from your performance. But for those beginners, like myself, it would help to be able to clean the recordings for extraneous sounds smile

Re: Bach Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: outo] #2827737
03/17/19 02:47 AM
03/17/19 02:47 AM
Spain
Sol Finker Offline
Sol Finker  Offline

Spain
01. Jason Lenthe - Invention #13 in A Minor, BWV 783 (to do)
I love Invention #13. I am still struggling with it. I wish I could play it the way you do. I love it.

02. sinophilia - Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring (to do)
Great video. Great playing. 7 years. You are my model.

04. dynamobt/Marilyn - Invention #6 E Major (to do)
I didn't know the piece. I love the way you combine both hands.

05. Claudemir Medeiros - Polonaise BWV anh 128 (to do)
1.5 year experience. Bravo my friend.

14. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Menuet In G Minor, BWV 842 (to do)
Very nice. Well played.

16. Snejana - Snejana Shegheva (to do)
I love it. Good work.

17. cmb13 - Craig - Adagio in D minor, BWV 974 (to do)
A long piece, a good inversion of time. My congrats.

19. MeganR - Prelude in D Minor BWV 940 (to do)
Nice piece. Well played.

20. MeganR - Prelude in A Minor BWV 942 (to do)
Very very nice. Well played.

22. PikaPianist - Prelude in D minor BWV851 (to do)
I love your left hand. Great.

Jaime CLP-645
Re: Bach Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: outo] #2827971
03/17/19 06:11 PM
03/17/19 06:11 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
1 Jason Length

Loved this; fine start indeed! Fluently played, but speeds up somewhat as she blows along. It;s hard not to do this, particularly when you're enjoying the ride, and I do it myself often. Nice, man!

2 Sinophilia

You've paid much attention to tempo here, and it sounds great. So easy to rush things; you'll hear me do that twice on this recital. It is a nice piece which rolls along peaceably and is so pleasant to hear. Well done!

4 Dynamobt

This too rolls along splendidly. The dynamics of Bach is what interests me most; it's always there, relentless like an unstoppable train hurtling through the night. This sounds excellent on that M&H of yours.

5 Claudemir Medeiros

Not heard this before, but you handle it well. sounds like you never put a foot wrong. Great work!

7 SiFi

Easy listening pieces which sound well on that B of yours. Some tricky sounding stuff therin; liked the second, which fitted perfectly onto the first, and really noved!

8 Greener

Some lovely, quirky melodies in Bach's stuff, Jeff; this is one of 'em and you do a darned nice job. If I might say, it could use a more mechanical, almost robotic approach to give it a relentless feel with absolutely no emotional content! I doubt whether anybody here would agree with me. . . .

I'll be back! Super recital; have fun, guys!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Bach Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: outo] #2827980
03/17/19 06:46 PM
03/17/19 06:46 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
Just a few pieces at random, out of order. I listened through headphones at the beach this afternoon. Bach is so interesting, so difficult as well. So farm it's been quite amazing!

01. Jason Lenthe - Invention #13 in A Minor, BWV 783 That was very good, although I think the tempo was a little uneven, the notes sounded good to me and I enjoyed it.

06. Tim Adrianson - Goldberg Aria -- Aria; "Close In" Variations Amazing, really beautiful!

07. SiFi - Simon Finlow - Partita #2 BWV 826, Sarabande and Caprice Excellent, as expected!

19. MeganR - Prelude in D Minor BWV 940 Great job, Megan!

20. MeganR - Prelude in A Minor BWV 942 Very good, glad you had time to submit two pieces.

21. PikaPianist - Prelude in C major BWV846 Beautiful! The entry level Prelude shines!

22. PikaPianist - Prelude in D minor BWV851 Juat spectacular! Very tastefully done. This is no easy Prelude. I loved the staccato, the triplets were fast and consistent, the dynamics well controlled. I’m a big fan!

25. Peterws - Siciliano I never heard this piece before. I agree, it sounds simple, until you really pay attention, then realize that throughout much of this there are 3 voices going on, each with their own phrasing and dynamics. Then it sounds quite difficult! It actually also sounds like a Romantic piece, like Bach jumped a century ahead, then played a Baroque piece with a touch of Romanticism. I really liked it a lot. Great job!

32. Ido - JS Bach - Invention No.1 in C major Nice playing. I listened to both the audio and video entries. Very consistent.

35. Kalos Piano - Musette in D What a nice, quick piece. Sounded very nice to me, clear and well articulated.

36. AssociateX (Liz) - Prelude - F Minor WTC 2 BWV 881 Three pieces! This final one was my favorite of your entries. A lot of movement, yet cleanly played. I really don’t know any of them though. Thanks for submitting them!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions
Grieg Sonata - Andante molto

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Bach Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: outo] #2827991
03/17/19 07:07 PM
03/17/19 07:07 PM
T
Tim Adrianson Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Tim Adrianson  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
T

Hi, folks! The first batch of comments -- mainly first impressions, based on a single hearing.

Jason Lenthe -- A very solid, secure performance of the A Minor Invention; I would agree, though, that there is some speeding up as it progresses, which for me does detract slightly in the overall effect. But a great way to start!

sinophilia -- On the slow side; nicely lyrical. Sort of like a chamber choir doing the chorale. Nice attention to details.

dynamobt (Marilyn) -- Clear, focused performance of Invention -- very satisfying.

Claudemir Medeiros -- Overall, very meticulous, clean rendition of the Polonaise; just a slight tendency to rush in spots.

SiFi -- very nice projection of chordal changes in the Sarabande, with exacting ornamentation. Excellent rendition of the Capriccio -- a murderously difficult piece to play effectively.

greener -- A nice dancelike feel to the Badinerie; a light "feel"; need to maintain tempo in 2nd section.

computerpro3 -- Uh...not bad, man, not bad. Normally I'm not a fan of the Busoni "amplification" of Bach, but this all worked brilliantly for me, in no small part because of your complete realization of the possibilities.

peterws -- this rendition of the Allemande was for me chock full of good ideas, loaded with joy; I especially liked the staccato nature of the articulation. I've played this one myself, and quite differently -- it's neat to get another perspective.

Michael KK Lam -- Overall, an effective reading with an interesting sound -- I would check, though, for a couple rhythmic irregularities (misreadings?) in the G Major minuet.

Bsharp(C)cyclist -Dan Overall, a clean rendition at an appropriate tempo, but I would avoid the pauses at various spots because the Minuet is a dance, and IMO needs to flow without interruptions.

Sol Finker -- A very effective rendition of this Little Prelude; it has a skipping quality which is very charming.

Snejana -- A very pretty melody from the Anna Magdalena Notebooks -- well communicated and musical.

cmb13 - Craig -- A very clear, honest, straightforward treatment of this transcription -- I would, however, reduce the L.H. volume slightly and concentrate more on making the oboe"sing", so to speak.

Second batch to follow -- thanks to all for putting in what are clearly committed efforts to bring Bach to life!

Re: Bach Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: Greener] #2828083
03/18/19 02:10 AM
03/18/19 02:10 AM
Spain
Sol Finker Offline
Sol Finker  Offline

Spain

24. AssociateX (Liz) - Invention # 14 - Bb Major- BWV 785
A very good - and difficult - performance.

26. Purrblast - Polonaise in g minor (BWV Anh125)
Your performance is unreachable in a one year journey. I enjoyed it very much. Great technique.

Jaime CLP-645
Re: Bach Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: outo] #2828231
03/18/19 09:30 AM
03/18/19 09:30 AM
T
Tim Adrianson Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Tim Adrianson  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
T

Hi, folks! Here are the rest of my capsule observations on the submissions.[/b]

[b]greener
-- Overall, an effective rendition of Dame Myra Hess's transcription of Jesu, Joy..., I would, though, bring out the L.H. chorale statements somewhat more, particularly in the "B" section. I've played this myself, and it's tricky to bring off properly.

MeganR -- Very forceful, convincing performances of the two Preludes (new to me) -- I agree with you that the second needs to go about twice as fast as you took it, but it's a solid work in progress.

PikaPianist -- The familiar C maj Prelude was interesting for me to listen to -- I normally accent the lowest note of each arpeggiated chord, whereas you seemed to gravitate to the top. The Prelude in D minor was just loaded with good ideas; in particular, the L.H. line was outstanding.

AssociateX (Liz) -- The A Minor Invention was overall effective; slightly overpedaled in spots. I would aim for a lighter, more "notey" feel than what you projected here. I would say the same for the B Flat Invention -- it gets somewhat too loud and heavy at times. The difficult reprise, in canon, was handled quite well.

peterws -- I personally like the outright Romantic feel of this Siciliano arrangement, and it does have an appropriate dancelike quality to complement it. Did you do the arrangement?

Purrblast -- Very musical treatment of the Polonaise, in all ways -- good articulation, phrasing, dynamics.

melchiorblade7 -- Thanks for the multiple submissions -- All of them were well communicated. The G maj Invention established a consistent pulse throughout, very convincing. The F min I found a tad too "academic"; I think it would benefit by being a little more stately -- but well handled technically. The E min was notable for a nice balance between the L and R hands, and trills were exact. The Prelude I found somewhat too "metronomic" in nature, and I would say that the finishing material must be significantly faster than that which preceded it. The Fugue I very much liked -- crisp articulation, and good projection of the main fugal subject troughout.

Ido -- A lyrical, light, pleasing quality on Invention 1 -- nice balance between the hands.

justyna_ewa -- A very appropriate dark, organlike quality of the Busoni transcription -- emotionally powerful, although I believe I would aim for a greater range of dynamic contrast to heighten the drama.

Claudemir Medeiros -- Very well-controlled rendition, but since it is a Minuet, I would aspire to a little more dancelike feel.

Kalos -- Clean, convincing, no-nonsense treatment of the Musette; I particularly liked the phrasing in the chromatic portions of the piece.

AssociateX -- In the first section of the F minor Prelude, I would use somewhat less pedal and insert a little more dynamic contrast to improve the overall effect; also check the rhythm on the last two measures. In the second section, you simply need to learn the musical line and chording better -- this rendition is just too messy as it stands.

dumka1 -- Very nice voicing of the main subject -- and it is not an easy thing to bring off. Otherwise, I'd aim for somewhat more smoothness and delicacy in phrasing than I heard here.

Thanks to everyone for their efforts -- I intend to listen to some of them again!

Re: Bach Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: outo] #2828385
03/18/19 04:54 PM
03/18/19 04:54 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
Tim Adrianson

Hiya Tim. The arrangement was similar to one received from a fellow ABF member, but with detail differences and no intro. Didn't much care for the intro.
The tune has 3 melodies, as you point out. Most, if not all pianists of standing (!) will highlight the main melody throughout, which sings nicely. But very early on, the volume strongly rises and calls for a more strident, clashing sound imnsho which the written score nicely provides. So, I lose the main melody in a welter of ball-players all striving furiously for possession. It evens out somewhat later. . . .hard to believe Bach only had the harpsichord and organ to play on. Feel sorry for him.

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Bach Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: outo] #2828696
03/19/19 01:26 PM
03/19/19 01:26 PM
Connecticut, USA
scorpio Offline
1000 Post Club Member
scorpio  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Connecticut, USA
Excellent recital. Thank you all. Just listened to them ... very enjoyable.

Peter, which Bluethner setting did you use with Siciliano? I thought it sounded terrific.

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Bach Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: scorpio] #2828726
03/19/19 02:36 PM
03/19/19 02:36 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
Originally Posted by scorpio
Excellent recital. Thank you all. Just listened to them ... very enjoyable.

Peter, which Bluethner setting did you use with Siciliano? I thought it sounded terrific.

It'll be Chamber. It's quite a dark, pure sound and has great dynamics. Too good for me unfortunately!

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Bach Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: outo] #2828780
03/19/19 05:25 PM
03/19/19 05:25 PM
Federal Way, Washington
M
Melchiorblade7 Offline
Melchiorblade7  Offline
M

Federal Way, Washington
I'll be listening to every entry over the week. These are some thoughts so far. (Great job, everyone. Very impressive.)

1. Jason Lenthe - Invention #13 - This was enjoyable to listen to. Your technique shines throughout the Invention. Treble and bass lines are well articulated throughout. You play the tempo so it gets slightly accelerated as the piece goes on, and whether or not this is intentional it might be good to keep a consistent tempo for a piece like this, but that's just my preference I suppose. Good job handling the counterpoint of this piece!

2. sinofilia - Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring - Pleasant and peaceful to listen to. The resonance on your piano and the handling of the pedal are well done here. You project and sustain the harmonies at just the right times. Only thing I would do different is suspend the ending cadence and lower dynamics a slight bit more to give it more satisfying closure. Fantastic playing!

3. Tim Adrianson - Prelude from English Suite #6 - First off, I want to give you a firm round of applause for that performance. This is a very difficult and epic prelude to perform, and you did admirably. I very much enjoyed this performance and felt the profound effect of the masterwork through your playing. The bass has some sustain feedback or bleed-in that obscures some of the lines (only a little bit though), but it's not so muddy that it ruins it by any means (this really can't be avoided on some acoustic pianos of course!). Overall, this is a fantastic performance, and it moved me in some places, then again, this is one of my favorite Bach pieces so I could be biased. Bravo!

More comments to be written later

Last edited by Melchiorblade7; 03/19/19 05:26 PM.
Re: Bach Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2828836
03/19/19 09:08 PM
03/19/19 09:08 PM
Long Island, NY
AssociateX Offline
AssociateX  Offline

Long Island, NY
Originally Posted by Tim Adrianson
Hi, folks! Here are the rest of my capsule observations on the submissions.[/b]

[b]AssociateX (Liz)
-- The A Minor Invention was overall effective; slightly overpedaled in spots. I would aim for a lighter, more "notey" feel than what you projected here. I would say the same for the B Flat Invention -- it gets somewhat too loud and heavy at times. The difficult reprise, in canon, was handled quite well.

AssociateX -- In the first section of the F minor Prelude, I would use somewhat less pedal and insert a little more dynamic contrast to improve the overall effect; also check the rhythm on the last two measures. In the second section, you simply need to learn the musical line and chording better -- this rendition is just too messy as it stands.

Thanks to everyone for their efforts -- I intend to listen to some of them again!

Spot on, I had double thoughts about submitting the Prelude. It wasnt ready, the muddyness is because I just didn’t have the fingering solid on those notes...thank you for listening and sharing! I loved the English Suite, it was masterfully played.
I listened to all the submitted pieces and enjoyed them all.. I particularly loved the Chaconne. Will definitely be replaying them during my commute in the car...

~~~~~~~
My Practice/Progress YouTube Channel :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNj0Yha5exOWuJMTezV3t8Q
Re: Bach Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: outo] #2829160
03/20/19 03:27 PM
03/20/19 03:27 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
Few more -

02. sinophilia - Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring Very good, nice and steady, goo Page turns!

04. dynamobt/Marilyn - Invention #6 E Major What a relentless piece! I’m about to start the inventions and I’m a little afraid of this one!

05. Claudemir Medeiros - Polonaise BWV anh 128 Nice paying, Claudemir !

08. Greener/Jeff - Badinerie Good piece, like this one - good playing!

09. computerpro3 - Bach-Busoni Chaconne WOW! That sounded wicked hard! And memorized? Congrats - big pice!!

10. Peterws - French Suite, 5, Allemande (to do)

13. Michael KK Lam - Minuet in G Major & g minor, BWV Anh 114, 115 The sound effects were a little distracting but sounds good.

14. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Menuet In G Minor, BWV 842 What excellent control, so smooth, subtle, sounded really nice.

15. Solfinker - Little Prelude BWV 927 Nice fast piece good playing.

16. Snejana - Snejana Shegheva I did enjoy the melody, that was a nice piece.

18. Greener/Jeff - Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring Good playing, nice piece I had not heard before.

26. Purrblast - Polonaise in g minor (BWV Anh125) Very nice playing, seemed like you play with ease and confidence. Keep it up!

27. Melchiorblade7 (Matt) - Invention No. 10 in G Major Great playing - I enjoyed the entire collection that you presented. Bravo!

33. justyna_ewa - Nun komm'der Heiden Heiland, BWV 659 Nicely played somber piece. My type of music!

34. Claudemir Medeiros - Minuet in Dm Good playing, nicely done.

37. dumka1 - Fugue in D minor, WTC I Good job with the counterpoint! Sounds tough to me.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions
Grieg Sonata - Andante molto

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Page 1 of 2 1 2

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
I can't hear the music....
by Jytte. 11/19/19 02:51 PM
Your opinion of best jazz drum track software
by Dan Pincus. 11/19/19 02:49 PM
Damper felt length & install question
by Emery Wang. 11/19/19 02:25 PM
Tapping down strings
by Hakki. 11/19/19 02:12 PM
Time spent listening?
by leemeadowcroft. 11/19/19 01:14 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,191
Posts2,892,695
Members95,017
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission