Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
148 registered members (agraffe, 36251, akc42, accordeur, AnthonyPaulO, Audetto, anamnesis, AssociateX, AZNpiano, Akaitsuki, 33 invisible), 1,110 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Akai Pro MPK Road 88 #2805710
01/23/19 11:32 PM
01/23/19 11:32 PM
Tennessee
B
brooster Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
brooster  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
B

Tennessee
Akai Pro MPK Road 88
[Linked Image]

Akai Pro MPK Road 88

88-note keyboard controller with built-in audio interface and integrated road case.
Introducing the Akai Professional MPK Road 88, a hammer-action 88-key controller with an integrated road case and 4-output USB audio interface, designed for the touring professional who demands the best in natural response and creative versatility. Akai Professional knows keyboards: Their MPK and Advance series controllers are constant fixtures in studios and on stage because of their impeccable build quality and player-centric response. The MPK Road 88 takes that legacy and puts it on the road for the touring professional. For the keyboard player, feel is everything—at its core, the Road 88 features a premium 88-key velocity-sensitive graded hammer action keybed with aftertouch, meticulously engineered so the most demanding keyboardist can capture every nuance of their performance. Add to that the built-in soundcard and the tough, road-ready case, and the touring pro has everything they need, without compromise.  Get the Most Out of Your Virtual Instrument Collection  Virtual Instruments play a pivotal role in both studio music production and live performances, offering players countless sounds and effects to shade and color their music. With Road 88’s integrated class-compliant 4-output soundcard and superior player-centric response, users can route their virtual instruments to mixers and monitoring sources simultaneously for hassle-free setups. This keyboard enables players to manage and employ their VI collection to maximum effect, with a keybed designed for optimum expressive capability. The Centrepiece of your Performance Whatever the next performance demands, Road 88 will easily meet the challenge. Thanks to dual expression pedal inputs, a sustain pedal input, 5-pin MIDI-In, and MIDI-Out ports and class compliant USB connectivity, Road 88 connects to all your outboard gear and is ready for any situation.  Express Yourself  Everything the professional Keyboard player is thoughtfully included. Pitch and Mod Wheels combine with dedicated volume control, transpose functionality and split modes for complete versatility and adaptability in any performance environment where core-workstation control is required.  Road Ready  With Road 88, everything you need is all available in one portable package. Fusing a vintage-inspired travel case with carrying handle, this premium-response keyboard is ready to withstand the rigors of the road. Forget complicated rigs—with Road 88, players will focus on what’s important: delivering their best performance.

Great feel, superior response, road-worthy toughness.

FEATURES
88-key velocity-sensitive, graded hammer-action keyboard with aftertouch
Built-in USB Soundcard with two TRS Aux and two TRS main outputs
MIDI - In and MIDI - Out connectors for connection to sound modules, sequencers and more
Three variable pedal inputs (standard footswitch and variable pedal compatible)
Transpose, Split and Preset selection Controls
Dedicated volume control for precise adjustment of Main, Aux and Headphone outputs
Integrated road-ready travel case, carry handle
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION
Akai Professional MPK Road 88 Hammer-Action MIDI Keyboard Controller Standard

Two 5-pin MIDI DIN connectors
Two 1/4" (6.35 mm) TRS Expression pedal jacks
One 1/4" TRS sustain pedal jack
Two 1/4" TRS Main Outputs
Two 1/4" Aux Outputs
USB 2.0 Type - B port
Power Via USB or power adapter (sold separately)
Width: 55.0”
Depth: 14.5”
Height: 6.7”
Weight 62.1 lb.

Last edited by brooster; 01/23/19 11:38 PM.

The heavens declare the glory of God;
and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Akai Pro MPK Road 88 [Re: brooster] #2805727
01/24/19 02:08 AM
01/24/19 02:08 AM
Groove On Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Groove On  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Drool worthy specs. I dont need it, but i really want one. Nice match for a VST setup. The built-in road- worthy design appeals to me even though it will probably just sit in my “man cave”. grin

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
Re: Akai Pro MPK Road 88 [Re: brooster] #2805780
01/24/19 07:23 AM
01/24/19 07:23 AM
The Netherlands
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JFP  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J

The Netherlands
Yes - looked at the announcement yesterday - thought this is exactly what I want for on the road as mainboard , complemented with a second tier with enough controls. But.....62.1 lb. ?? R U kidding - just when most boards have jumped on the bandwagon of shaving weight , 28 KG is way too much IMHO. Rather stuff a 11 ~ 13 kg mainboard in a gigbag. So much for the integrated carrying case - which I like (hello Doepfer)..

Re: Akai Pro MPK Road 88 [Re: brooster] #2805788
01/24/19 07:37 AM
01/24/19 07:37 AM
Suffolk, United Kingdom
E
EssBrace Offline
3000 Post Club Member
EssBrace  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
E

Suffolk, United Kingdom
Interesting. Not a Fatar action it would seem.

Roland RD-1000 | Yamaha CLP 645 | Broadwood Barless 7' 6"
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Akai Pro MPK Road 88 [Re: brooster] #2805800
01/24/19 08:25 AM
01/24/19 08:25 AM
Ontario, Canada
H
halherta Offline
halherta  Offline
H

Ontario, Canada
Glad to see Akai release a graded hammer action midi controller. Not much competition out there in this category. I wonder how will the action feel compared to the VPC-1 and sl88 Grand. I hope its at least similar or better than the latter...which is already quite good.

Other than the VPC-1 and sl88 Grand/Studio, the only other graded hammer action midi controllers on the market that I can think of are the M-audio hammer action midi controller and the Doepfer midi controllers (LMK2+, LMK4+ & PK88). Though the Doepfers are a little harder to find in N.America.

Akai products are generally well made so I'm optimistic. And while it's heavy, it at least has a built in Audio card. That is a really convenient and unique feature for a midi controller.

Yamaha P-125, Pianoteq 6, Ravenscroft 275 VST, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
Re: Akai Pro MPK Road 88 [Re: brooster] #2805861
01/24/19 10:39 AM
01/24/19 10:39 AM
Hobart, Australia
A
ando Offline
5000 Post Club Member
ando  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
A

Hobart, Australia
Before complaining about its weight, it's worth remembering that it has an integrated flight case. That would add to the weigh quite a bit, but also make it tough as nails. Looks like an exciting product to me. Will be interesting to find out if it's using triple sensor technology and how the action feels for piano. As far as features go, this is what the VPC1 should have been, IMO.

Re: Akai Pro MPK Road 88 [Re: brooster] #2806398
01/25/19 06:10 AM
01/25/19 06:10 AM
Ontario, Canada
H
halherta Offline
halherta  Offline
H

Ontario, Canada
Namm 2019: Akai MPK Road 88!

I'm going to keep an eye out for this one!

Yamaha P-125, Pianoteq 6, Ravenscroft 275 VST, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
Re: Akai Pro MPK Road 88 [Re: brooster] #2808812
01/30/19 11:01 PM
01/30/19 11:01 PM
MA
L
labjr Offline
labjr  Offline
L

MA
Anyone know how this feels? Fast, slow, mushy etc?

I've been learning on a Roland FP-30 DP. I want to eventually get something with more synth sounds. However, I think the graded hammer action on the FP30 would be too slow for playing a synth. Do I really need to have a semi-weighted synth action keyboard? Or are good graded hammer action keyboards faster?

If you could only have one keyboard for synth and digital piano which one would it be?

Re: Akai Pro MPK Road 88 [Re: ando] #2808852
01/31/19 03:59 AM
01/31/19 03:59 AM
UK
jamiecw Online content
jamiecw  Online Content

UK
Originally Posted by ando
As far as features go, this is what the VPC1 should have been, IMO.

Hmm, but is it really? The VPC1 aims to replicate a wooden key action with enough length to reminisce the touch of a real acoustic...this one won't mimic that part for sure...if it did it'll probably weigh twice it's current weight & ditto, the VPC would weight far more it's current weight if it had all the AKAI road 88 features..

Last edited by jamiecw; 01/31/19 04:01 AM.
Re: Akai Pro MPK Road 88 [Re: jamiecw] #2808865
01/31/19 06:07 AM
01/31/19 06:07 AM
Hobart, Australia
A
ando Offline
5000 Post Club Member
ando  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
A

Hobart, Australia
Originally Posted by jamiecw
Originally Posted by ando
As far as features go, this is what the VPC1 should have been, IMO.

Hmm, but is it really? The VPC1 aims to replicate a wooden key action with enough length to reminisce the touch of a real acoustic...this one won't mimic that part for sure...if it did it'll probably weigh twice it's current weight & ditto, the VPC would weight far more it's current weight if it had all the AKAI road 88 features..

Yes. Nobody is using the VPC1 for gigging anyway - it might as well be fully featured and heavy. I don't think the VPC1 needs a road case - I was talking about the other controller/interface features.

Re: Akai Pro MPK Road 88 [Re: brooster] #2808867
01/31/19 06:37 AM
01/31/19 06:37 AM
Austria, EU
L
lophiomys Offline
500 Post Club Member
lophiomys  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

Austria, EU
And we still dont know for real, how the "new" key action would feel on the MPK Road 88 ... just marketing speak so far.

Additional to the competitors mentioned above, there is also the Physis K-series (K4, K5) MIDI master keyboards.

Re: Akai Pro MPK Road 88 [Re: brooster] #2808948
01/31/19 11:13 AM
01/31/19 11:13 AM
Suffolk, United Kingdom
E
EssBrace Offline
3000 Post Club Member
EssBrace  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
E

Suffolk, United Kingdom
Judging by the brief and admittedly entirely anecdotal observations on the some of the NAMM videos it looks very promising to me regarding action quality. Definitely worth keeping an eye on...

Roland RD-1000 | Yamaha CLP 645 | Broadwood Barless 7' 6"
Re: Akai Pro MPK Road 88 [Re: brooster] #2827399
03/16/19 03:36 AM
03/16/19 03:36 AM
H
HTK Offline
HTK  Offline
H

This keyboard is not a 'graded', just a fully-weighted keyboard.

According to https://getsatisfaction.com/akai_pr...ation-regarding-the-new-akai-mpk-road-88 the announcement was a "mistake".

I get fooled by the missleading announcement and I ordered already. Now I am thinking what to do.

Re: Akai Pro MPK Road 88 [Re: brooster] #2827446
03/16/19 04:24 AM
03/16/19 04:24 AM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
7000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
Is "graded" so very important?

Re: Akai Pro MPK Road 88 [Re: brooster] #2827448
03/16/19 04:42 AM
03/16/19 04:42 AM
C
ColoRodney Offline
ColoRodney  Offline
C

I've never played a keyboard with after touch that had a very realistic grand piano feel. I’m sure it’s a useful and versatile keyboard for many kinds of synth music, but it's not likely to compete with dedicated digital pianos for those who want a realistic piano action. And for a keyboard with a built in flight case, it would be nice to come in at under 50 pounds. The baggage fees get pretty high above that.

Rodney Sauer
Kawai KG-2E • Kawai ES8
Re: Akai Pro MPK Road 88 [Re: MacMacMac] #2827449
03/16/19 04:45 AM
03/16/19 04:45 AM
H
HTK Offline
HTK  Offline
H

The child is beginning piano learning and most teachers highly recommend graded hammer action or real piano right from the beginning.
I am oriented more toward music production with Cubase. Therefore for me is less important to be 'graded' but the great keybed with 88 keys.

When I saw the advertising that AKAI MPK Road 88 is a graded hammer-weighted keyboard, I thought that is perfect for both of us.

The knobs on top I don't need, since I have another smaller semi-weighted controller, which would sit on top of the table and AKAI Road 88 under the table.

Indeed, the decision is around how much impact it has for piano learner if doesn't have graded action. Definitively I am researching this aspect. Therefore it would be welcoming some impressions from all of you here.

Re: Akai Pro MPK Road 88 [Re: halherta] #2827562
03/16/19 01:20 PM
03/16/19 01:20 PM
H
HTK Offline
HTK  Offline
H

Originally Posted by halherta
Glad to see Akai release a graded hammer action midi controller. Not much competition out there in this category. I wonder how will the action feel compared to the VPC-1 and sl88 Grand. I hope its at least similar or better than the latter...which is already quite good.

Other than the VPC-1 and sl88 Grand/Studio, the only other graded hammer action midi controllers on the market that I can think of are the M-audio hammer action midi controller and the Doepfer midi controllers (LMK2+, LMK4+ & PK88). Though the Doepfers are a little harder to find in N.America.

Akai products are generally well made so I'm optimistic. And while it's heavy, it at least has a built in Audio card. That is a really convenient and unique feature for a midi controller.

As you sad, I also thought that it will compete with these. But simply was not true the original advertising https://getsatisfaction.com/akai_pr...ation-regarding-the-new-akai-mpk-road-88
Frankly, now I tend to believe that sl88 Grand would be better choice, except the design of the case etc.

Re: Akai Pro MPK Road 88 [Re: HTK] #2827659
03/16/19 06:16 PM
03/16/19 06:16 PM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C

Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by HTK
The child is beginning piano learning and most teachers highly recommend graded hammer action or real piano right from the beginning.
I am oriented more toward music production with Cubase. Therefore for me is less important to be 'graded' but the great keybed with 88 keys.

When I saw the advertising that AKAI MPK Road 88 is a graded hammer-weighted keyboard, I thought that is perfect for both of us.

The knobs on top I don't need, since I have another smaller semi-weighted controller, which would sit on top of the table and AKAI Road 88 under the table.

Indeed, the decision is around how much impact it has for piano learner if doesn't have graded action. Definitively I am researching this aspect. Therefore it would be welcoming some impressions from all of you here.

FWIW --

I can see that "hammer action" is important -- your whole technique is built on that. But I don't know if "graded" is so important. It shouldn't take a pianist very long to adjust to:

. . . "Oh -- surprise! --on _this_ acoustic piano, the bass keys are slightly heavier than the treble keys!"

(I don't teach; this is just speculation.)

But something else:

. . . This Akai is a MIDI controller -- there is no built-in sound generator.

. . . Is the child going to know how to run a MIDI-based VST setup ?

. . . Or do you have some other sound generator (e.g. another digital piano) sitting around, unused?

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: Akai Pro MPK Road 88 [Re: Charles Cohen] #2827730
03/17/19 01:37 AM
03/17/19 01:37 AM
H
HTK Offline
HTK  Offline
H

Originally Posted by Charles Cohen

It shouldn't take a pianist very long to adjust to:

From end of April, also in school he will have learning session. In practice he will have to alternate between a real piano and a not graded keyboard.

Originally Posted by Charles Cohen

But something else:

. . . This Akai is a MIDI controller -- there is no built-in sound generator.

. . . Is the child going to know how to run a MIDI-based VST setup ?

. . . Or do you have some other sound generator (e.g. another digital piano) sitting around, unused?

We already used slightly more complicated setups. For practicing music-theory sometimes we use Cubase and the child seems to be comfortable with it. He use those helper tracks for verifying himself or playing together with it.
In homeland he has his own upright piano. But for a period of time after relocating he had a pause and from end of April he will have tuition in the school also. Currently he will be 9 years old.

Recently I see a good deal of a Kawai MP11. It is a demo model with price reduction. But a KAWAI MP11 would be overkill for MIDI controller, but for training maybe the best. Also, that stage piano does not have aftertouch, which I use it. In other words for me would match this AKAI Road, but for piano learning the KAWAI. Exactly this scenario I wanted to avoid and instead use a model fit all use cases at least for the next 2-3 years. Then eventually we would invest into a stage piano if the child shows good progress.

What bothers me, that compared to the original announcement, I see a step back from the bright solution.
While studiologic sl88 grand was able to do all the required features in the same price range, if AKAI would do the same just as the announcement promised, that would be a really good deal because the quality of AKAI products I like, the design overall looks attractive for me, but.. came out to be another compromise. Looks like still remain a gap in the market for a more carefully engineered product.

Re: Akai Pro MPK Road 88 [Re: brooster] #2827735
03/17/19 03:00 AM
03/17/19 03:00 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Online content
2000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
That’s a professional gigging controller with a built in flight case. It would be my last choice for a learning kid.

My Soundcloud, My YouTube
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano With Humility
by Retsacnal. 03/22/19 06:43 PM
Piano in hospital
by CharlesXX. 03/22/19 06:38 PM
garritan steinway problem
by realovc22. 03/22/19 04:28 PM
QuietTime® GT-2 mini 2 Silent system.
by PianoStartsAt33. 03/22/19 03:41 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,059
Posts2,809,575
Members92,847
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission