2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 7 invisible), 1,903 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Please do not post in this thread - use the discussion thread!

Welcome to the Bach Themed Recital!

A separate thread has been created for discussion:
Bach Themed Recital discussion thread

A template has been created for those who wish to provide individualized feedback:
Bach Themed Recital Response Template

There are three ways to listen to the recital:

You can listen to individual performances below. Each one has it's own post.

You can use the Online Streaming Player

Or you can download the zip files:
bach1.zip
bach2.zip
bach3.zip
bach4.zip
bach5.zip
bach6.zip
bach7.zip

You can also listen to previous ABF recitals through the ABF Recital Index

Many thanks to everyone who participated in this recital.

DO NOT POST ON THIS THREAD!

Time to listen!

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Performer's name:Jason Lenthe
Direct music link:click to download
Video link:https://youtu.be/5YoxsLHUrlQ
Title of piece:Invention #13 in A Minor, BWV 783
Composer:J.S. Bach
Duration:01:04
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Yamaha P22
Recording method:Zoom H4
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:I chose to learn this piece because I like the speed and energy of it and arpeggios are kind of my strong point. It also has that distinctive Bach sound (although which of his pieces doesn't?). After getting through the initial pain of learning the counterpoint, I have found this piece highly addictive to play.

I do much of my practice on a digital piano with headphones when the kids are asleep and I have to admit I've had a lot of fun playing this piece on all the harpsichord, organ, electric piano, voice, glass celesta, and so on settings that I have available. It's especially fun to play with a drum track and base line. It would probably sound great played by a heavy metal band on distorted electric guitar.

Last edited by outo; 03/16/19 03:35 AM.
O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Performer's name:sinophilia
Experience:7 years
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdbtpqHFoWg
Title of piece:Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring
Duration:04:07
Source of music:Pianist magazine
Instrument used:Yamaha W110BW
Recording method:iPhone 7
Additional info:This is an arrangement of cantata BWV147 by Sean Montgomery, and it's a lot easier than the one by Myra Hess. It still took me forever to learn, because when I started it I was unable to follow the score and play without looking at my hands without major mishaps, and only with time it got better.
In this recording I started out a bit faint and uncertain and there are a couple of near misses, but I think it's an acceptable take, being 4 minutes long and all.

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Performer's name:Tim Adrianson
Experience:60+ years
Title of piece:Prelude from English Suite #6, BWV811
Composer:Johann Sebastian Bach
Duration:08:28
Source of music:Sheet Music (Dover)
Instrument used:Kawai 5.5' Baby Grand
Recording method:TASCAM 400
Additional info:I took on the 6th English Suite as a project in the fall of 2018. The English Suites were thought to have been written in 1715, when Bach was still in Weimar, but the entire set of 6 were published a few years later. It is not clear why the Suites are called "English", because unlike the French Suites, they don't conform much to the English style of Suite composition at the time. One common feature is the presence of looooong Preludes to introduce each Suite, and the 6th is the longest. After an extended recititavo introduction at a relatively slow tempo, it launches into a relatively fast fugue-like moto perpetuo -- 8.5 minutes worth in total. Enjoy

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Performer's name:dynamobt/Marilyn
Experience:Many years as a child with not a lot of progress. Self taught through adult years. Now with teacher 6 years.
Title of piece:Invention #6 E Major
Duration:04:10
Source of music:Henle sheet music
Instrument used:1918 Mason & Hamlin BB fully rebuilt in 1999
Recording method:Zoom H2n then Audacity
Additional info:I enjoyed learning this piece. It's fun to play with the answering voices back and forth. I played it as accompaniment in a Bach/Ballet recital. The dancers wanted it played more slowly than I play it in the recording. It's more fun faster. I think this may be my favorite Invention now. I really had fun learning it and playing it.

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Performer's name:Claudemir Medeiros
Experience:1,5 year.
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrvfHIsJA8c
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqwWYKElq9qNRtVPHpwsTSQ?view_as=subscriber
Title of piece:Polonaise BWV anh 128
Duration:03:04
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used:Casio Privia PX-860 Digital Piano
Recording method:Digital to PC
Additional info:I liked so much this piece and I think this is not so common so I decided to upload it wink

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Title of piece:Goldberg Aria -- Aria; "Close In" Variations
Composer:J S Bach/Lukas Foss/Fred Hersch
Duration:08:29
Source of music:Sheet Music (Peters, Dover)
Recording method:TASCAM 400 -- MP3, 256 bytes)
Additional info:This is the first installment of three submissions: In 2004, the Gilmore International Keyboard Festival, as a special project, invited 13 contemporary composers to provide one variation apiece on the famous Aria theme of the Goldberg Variations. Pianist Gilbert Kalish then
provided a performance of the entire set at the Festival, under the title "Thirteen Ways of Looking at the Goldberg". What I elected to do was choose six that I liked, grouping them into three sets of two -- "close in"; mid-range"; and "far out" -- based on their relative proximity to the musical quality of the Aria. In this first installment, I'm providing the Aria itself (Dover, a richly ornamented version), then variations by Lukas Foss and Fred Hersch. Foss called his contribution the "Goldmore Variation": IMO, it uses the language of Jazz, but without any cornball attempt to "swing". Foss was in his 80s then, and has always had a sensitive and thorough command of "the American sound" -- this is solid evidence of it. Hersch is better known as a Jazz pianist, but has "Classical" compositions as well: he calls his variation "Melancholy Minuet", and as the name implies, it is a statement of the Aria in minor mode; and danced, not sung.

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Performer's name:SiFi - Simon Finlow
Experience:58 years
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMtX-YmETT4
Title of piece:Partita #2 BWV 826, Sarabande and Caprice
Composer:J. S. Bach
Duration:04:32
Source of music:Published score and original manuscript
Instrument used:Steinway B
Recording method:Not sure, but it resulted in .AIF files?
Additional info:This is raw unedited audio from a video recording that I made for an audition for an amateur competition. (Apologies for the few seconds of general noise at the beginning and end.) The two movements go very nicely together IMO. The Caprice is, also IMO, among the finest single pieces in Bach's entire keyboard oeuvre.

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Performer's name:Greener/Jeff
Experience:On and off it is close to 50 years now.
Video link:https://youtu.be/XxRAsM_ehOM
Title of piece:Badinerie
Composer:Bach
Duration:02:36
Instrument used:Yamaha UX-1
Recording method:3 mics, CuBase
Additional info:This is my 2nd venture with this piece. It was recorded as a work in progress on first attempt, I think in 2014, but it didn't progress much further after that. The piece didn't grab me enough to stay motivated with it at the time. When I started looking at it again for this recital it was almost like starting anew, though some parts felt familiar. Thought I'd give it another chance rather then starting another that could face a similar fate. Glad I did, as I now quite enjoy rehearsing it and it is a good little exercise piece for trying to play smoothly and not rushed, with lots of jumps and quick moving parts. Of course, all of this part remains forever in progress.

Thank you for listening.

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Performer's name:computerpro3
Experience:12 years of serious study
Title of piece:Bach-Busoni Chaconne
Composer:Ferrucio Busini/J.S. Bach
Duration:14:35
Source of music:Memorized
Instrument used:Kawai Novus NV10
Recording method:Digital to PC
Additional info:This is one of my favorite works of music, and I have struggled since first hearing it to decide on an architecture that works for me personally. This is closer to the architecture I would ultimately like to wind up with, but I am frustrated I rushed too much especially towards the beginning and I feel I need to let the chaconne form breathe a bit more towards the beginning of the performance. I also could have done a better job defining the melodic line of the left hand octaves.

It is extremely difficult to keep the chaconne form in the front of your mind during the entire performance due to the sheer variety of the variations. My goal was to state the theme in a straightforward manner and try to keep it present until the middle of the work, where the strictness begins to give way to emotion. And then, it gets rebuilt and put back together again for the end, but with a new perspective because of all it has gone through.

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Performer's name:Peterws
Experience:Lots. No improvement for a long long time!
Title of piece:French Suite, 5, Allemande
Duration:01:43
Source of music:Sheet
Instrument used:DGX 630
Recording method:Audio extracted from video. Not the highest quality . . .
Additional info:Having listened to the pros playing this, I felt like pulling out. But if everybody felt like that, there wouldn't BE a recital! Now, it's just over a minute, without repeats.
Doing stuff without repeats means you only get half the mistakes, and half the chances of a crash.
So you lot got lucky!

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Title of piece:Goldberg Aria -- Mid-range Variations
Composer:J S Bach/David Del Tredici/Fred Lerdahl
Duration:10:22
Source of music:Sheet Music (Peters; Dover)
Recording method:TASCAM 400 (MP3; 256 MB)
Additional info:Here is the second installment of the 2004 Gilmore International Piano Festival project, in which 13 contemporary composers provided one variation apiece to the famous Aria of Bach's Goldberg Variations. These two I called "mid-range" because they depart somewhat from what we normally think of as a variation. David Del Tredici called his contribution "My Goldberg (Gymnopedie #1"). To quote him: "(My Goldberg) was inspired by the theme of Bach's monumental "Goldberg Variations" -- not the lovely soprano melody, as one might expect, but rather the stepwise, descending bass line. Above this bass, I have composed a bittersweet melody that ranges freely. At the very end, Bach's soprano theme is briefly quoted.". Fred Lerdahl calls his amusing variation "Chasing Goldberg". The theme is first presented as 16th notes, scampering up and down the keyboard, the LH "chasing" the RH. In the repeat, the same material is presented in canon, the LH four 16th notes behind the RH
-- again, "chasing", but in a different sense. REALLY difficult to play -- sorry about a few obvious screw-ups in these sections -- but a heckuva lot of fun to play and to listen to! I preceded this set with Bach's Variation #13, rather than the Aria itself.

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Title of piece:Goldberg Aria -- Far Out Variations
Composer:J S Bach/Mischa Zupko/Stanley Walden
Duration:09:54
Source of music:Sheet Music (Peters, Dover)
Recording method:TASCAM 400 MP3 256 MB
Additional info:Here is the final installment of the Gilmore project -- two variations that I consider far afield from the Goldberg Aria. Mischa Zupko calls his contribution "Ghost Variation". He provided extensive notes on how to play it -- to quote a few things: "This variation is based directly on the aria from the Goldberg in that it utilizes motives and sometimes entire phrases from the opening movement, albeit somewhat displaced by a new harmonic formula...the (repeat) is meant to be heard as a 'phantom' representation of the immediately preceding material; a striking diversion, yet eerily familiar." Stanley Walden calls his contribution "Fantasy Variation", and his commentary is more succinct: "In this variation I have fractured and condensed time, so that the harmonies and rhythms of the original Bach Aria form new shapes and sounds. This is a cubist approach to sound, akin to what the painters Picasso and Braque had done with space." I provided Bach's Variation 7, with repeats, to precede these two -- it felt a tad short with no repeats in this case.

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Performer's name:Michael KK Lam
Experience:Obtained RCM Grade 3 20 years ago, just restarted piano for 5 months
Video link:https://youtu.be/Yh0wFEwaIUM
Title of piece:Minuet in G Major & g minor, BWV Anh 114, 115
Composer:J. S. Bach / C. Petzold
Duration:03:03
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Korg C1 Air
Recording method:Digital piano line out directly to digital camera
Additional info:I was feeling a little bit nervous to have myself recorded under camera.
This piece is preformed using harpsichord sound from my digital piano.
The major and minor minuets are played in ABA format, and repeats are not preformed.
I thought that there should be an ornament in bar no.8, Anh 114.

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Performer's name:BSharp(C)yclist (Dan)
Experience:3 years
Video link:https://youtu.be/Q_Pcd5MSAn8
Title of piece:Menuet In G Minor, BWV 842
Duration:01:11
Source of music:RCM Repertoire Level 5, List A Section
Instrument used:Yamaha AvantGrand N2.
Recording method:Same as usual. Audio out from the AvantGrand N2 into microphone of Sony FDR-AX33 HandyCam, producing an MP4 file. The audio file is then extracted and noised removed using Audacity. Instead of using ffmpeg this time to replace audio, I used Cyberlink PowerDirector. I can unlink audio/video in that application, and then replace the audio with the noise removed version.

Also, the sound of the N2 is blended with Pianoteq Model B.
Additional info:I learned this piece a year ago I think, but did a new recording for this recital. I was hoping to also submit BWV 999, but things have been busy lately. Maybe next time smile

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Performer's name:Solfinker
Experience:3 years
Title of piece:Little Prelude BWV 927
Composer:W.F. Bach
Duration:00:49
Source of music:Sheet music: Urtext with fingering - Vitta Publications
Instrument used:Yamaha CLP-645
Recording method:Digital
Additional info:I intended to submit Two Voice Invention #8, but I haven't got the hang of it yet. Maybe next year.

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Performer's name:Snejana
Experience:about five years
Title of piece:Snejana Shegheva
Composer:From Notebook for Anna Magdalena
Duration:01:34
Source of music:The Young Pianist's Library: From Bach to Bartok, Book 1A
(memorized)
Instrument used:Casio PX-700 Digital Piano
Recording method:GarageBand on Mac
Additional info:I love the idea of themed recitals, and, since this one is so special (eh...Bach), I did not want to miss a submission. When I saw the call for submissions about half a year ago, my immediate choice was Prelude in C minor. I knew it was not at my level, but I figured I may have enough time to prep. After a month of working on it, I came to conclusion that it will not work, and I have to pick an easier piece. Finding one at my level appeared to be quite a challenging task. I went through multiple candidates - mostly from the Notebooks for Anna Magdalena, and Prelude in C major from the Well Tempered Clavier. About a month ago I landed on this short piece - Dance Song from the collection "The Young Pianist Library: From Bach to Bartok". I have had this book for a long time - a friend who is a professional musician recommended it to me. This collection is a gem - it includes several pieces that are hard to find anywhere else. Speaking of which, I could not find a recording for the "Dance Song" anywhere, so I do not know how it actually sounds. If someone has across it, I will appreciate a link to it (perhaps it goes under a different name). Now, about the piece itself. It is in binary form (as one would expect), very pleasant on ear, deceptively simple to play. For a piece of this level, it took longer than anticipated to learn. It requires some hand independence and it does not have an obvious chord structure to help memorize the base and the melody. It was more like a melody in both hands. There is room for improvement, of course, but I hope you enjoy it, and I look forward to hearing the submissions from everyone else.

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Performer's name:cmb13 - Craig
Experience:5 years
Video link:https://youtu.be/bYESt0yXhkg
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIXgv7Gl8Cb5SgqeqsQZNMQ?view_as=subscriber
Title of piece:Adagio in D minor, BWV 974
Duration:03:47
Instrument used:Steinway A3
Recording method:Macbook Pro, Quicktime, Logitec C920, Blue Yeti
Additional info:The Adagio in D minor, BWV 974, is Bach's transcription of the Oboe Concerto by Marcello. The transcription was written in approximately 1715, just over 200 years before the manufacture of this piano in 1917, and 300 years before the recording presented today.

I began work on this piece a year ago, let it rest for a while, and upon returning found some tricky sections. I know there are at least 4-5 mistakes, but I was happy with the flow, dynamics, tempo, so I'm submitting this take. I could spend all weekend getting it perfect, but it's just too frustrating!

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Performer's name:Greener/Jeff
Experience:Years
Video link:https://youtu.be/r6zRLF3-gbo
Title of piece:Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring
Composer:Bach/Hess
Duration:04:06
Additional info:This Bach chorale is one I've not let decline too badly, since I initially recorded it in 2013. It is a sophisticated and large enough arrangement for me, that it will always require more development. This recital has provided a worthy motivation to get it fresher again and even a little further along hopefully.

While practicing for this recital, I'd set out for all the notes in the arrangement. In the end I dropped about half of the 10ths. that are called for as I was only at about a 40-60% success rate at a reasonable tempo. Still when I rehearse it, I'm trying for all of them. When I think past them I seem to be able to hit them clean more frequently. Anyway that aside, of course there are other issues too. It's a great piece though and I'll try not to ever lose this one.

Thank you for listening.

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Performer's name:MeganR
Experience:4
Title of piece:Prelude in D Minor BWV 940
Composer:JS Bach
Duration:00:41
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Everett spinet
Recording method:Zoom H4N
Additional info:I just love Bach, this was a fun piece to learn. I picked it because it was short and I wanted to have *something* to submit for this recital. (As it turned out, I had enough time for another piece, coming up...)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission