Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
155 registered members (Audetto, AnthonyPaulO, anamnesis, agraffe, AssociateX, AZNpiano, Akaitsuki, Alex_G, 37 invisible), 1,117 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Reading tips / help please. #2827124
03/15/19 10:55 AM
03/15/19 10:55 AM
Wirral
O
OMAW3D Offline OP
OMAW3D  Offline OP
O

Wirral
This seems like the place to ask beginner level questions so please may I?
About me; You will have heard my story many times over - I took some lessons years ago and recently found myself wanting to get back in. I was being tutored back then and although I took some lessons over some years I don't think i ever got out of the gate really. I have next to no skill and zero confidence but i want that to change. At this point I have very basic reading skills, given a simple enough piece and enough time to study it and practice I can get a melody and baseline going.

So anyway, with a renewed gusto and a determined mindset that this time i will self study, i found myself here looking for music to play. Beatles, that's a good place to start right? simple, easy and everyone knows the tunes.
Penny lane, that's a goodun I say to myself and then BOOM i hit my first snag.

[Linked Image]

Could someone please explain how the left hand is played here? the upper G&B combo seems to be held whilst also hitting a lower G and descending still further in crotchets. The stretch isn't possible?
I have not graduated to pedalling yet, but i am not sure that is the answer either as wouldn't all the notes sound mushy?

thank you.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Reading tips / help please. [Re: OMAW3D] #2827135
03/15/19 11:15 AM
03/15/19 11:15 AM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B

Originally Posted by OMAW3D

So anyway, with a renewed gusto and a determined mindset that this time i will self study, i found myself here looking for music to play. Beatles, that's a good place to start right? simple, easy and everyone knows the tunes.
Penny lane, that's a goodun I say to myself and then BOOM i hit my first snag.

[Linked Image]

Could someone please explain how the left hand is played here? the upper G&B combo seems to be held whilst also hitting a lower G and descending still further in crotchets. The stretch isn't possible?
I have not graduated to pedalling yet, but i am not sure that is the answer either as wouldn't all the notes sound mushy?

You've discovered the pitfalls of playing poorly arranged pop music on the piano.

If you really don't want to go the classical route, you'll have to learn for yourself what notes you can leave out (or redistribute) from rubbish arrangements like the one you're playing. (Read the thread next to yours). For instance, you can play the semibreve B with RH thumb and the other semibreve (G) with LH thumb, and just let them go later if you need the fingers.

Alternatively, sing the melody and accompany yourself on the piano, leaving out all the melody notes. That's what Lennon would do........ wink

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Reading tips / help please. [Re: OMAW3D] #2827153
03/15/19 11:43 AM
03/15/19 11:43 AM
Canada
Serge88 Offline

Silver Subscriber
Serge88  Offline

Silver Subscriber

Canada
I agree with Bennevis, bad arrangers will just put on the score, the bass, the guitar and the melody on top and expect pianist to stretch their hands. Beatles songs are very popular and there is some good arrangements, like the one from Philip Keveren.

"The piano keys are black and white but they sound like a million colors in your mind.โ€
โ€“ Maria Cristina

Re: Reading tips / help please. [Re: Serge88] #2827157
03/15/19 11:51 AM
03/15/19 11:51 AM
Chicago
P
Pau Gasol Offline
Pau Gasol  Offline
P

Chicago
Originally Posted by Serge88
I agree with Bennevis, bad arrangers will just put on the score, the bass, the guitar and the melody on top .....

I've found a few with typos or just plain wrong notes. Its annoying to be learning a new piece and something just doesn't sound right, until I fool around with it awhile and find out what it should be instead.

Re: Reading tips / help please. [Re: OMAW3D] #2827167
03/15/19 12:13 PM
03/15/19 12:13 PM
Wirral
O
OMAW3D Offline OP
OMAW3D  Offline OP
O

Wirral
Ace, so its just a poor arrangement. That's fine, i can ignore or change bits enough to get through it or just find something else to play. My working theory was that i was missing some technique.

Is there a good place to get sheet music suited to beginners like myself?

thank you!

Re: Reading tips / help please. [Re: Pau Gasol] #2827204
03/15/19 01:40 PM
03/15/19 01:40 PM
Tennessee
C
Chili_Time Offline
Chili_Time  Offline
C

Tennessee
Originally Posted by Pau Gasol
Originally Posted by Serge88
I agree with Bennevis, bad arrangers will just put on the score, the bass, the guitar and the melody on top .....

I've found a few with typos or just plain wrong notes. Its annoying to be learning a new piece and something just doesn't sound right, until I fool around with it awhile and find out what it should be instead.

That's what i do with Fake Books if I find a part that doesn't sound quite right. Just sort of fix it for my ear and move on.

Started Playing October 1, 2017. First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Currently in Faber Piano Adventures Book 3a. Yamaha P-115.
[Linked Image]
Re: Reading tips / help please. [Re: OMAW3D] #2827224
03/15/19 02:59 PM
03/15/19 02:59 PM
Southeast USA
P
Progman Online content
Progman  Online Content
P

Southeast USA
You want "Level 1" song books like Alfred's Greatest Hits Level 1.

Progman
Baldwin Console + Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Reading tips / help please. [Re: OMAW3D] #2827230
03/15/19 03:42 PM
03/15/19 03:42 PM
Toronto, Canada
T
thepianoplayer416 Offline
500 Post Club Member
thepianoplayer416  Offline
500 Post Club Member
T

Toronto, Canada
There are times you find arrangements of music where notes are too far apart to be played with 1 hand. A lot of times Iโ€™d move notes up / down an octave so they are closer together. The other option is to leave certain notes out like a repeated note in a lower octave. As long as you keep the top melody note untouched should be OK.

Nowadays people can do all sorts of arrangements on a computer without actually trying them to see if theyโ€™re playable.

An arrangement like the one you posted the original may have been for 2 or more instruments. Might be better if you have someone else playing a second piano / keyboard...

Re: Reading tips / help please. [Re: OMAW3D] #2827277
03/15/19 06:14 PM
03/15/19 06:14 PM
Kitsap County, WA
squidbot Offline
Gold Subscriber
squidbot  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Kitsap County, WA
I'd been wanting to learn some popular tunes on my own outside lessons which are all classical repertoire (which I prefer to have paper sheet music for.) I got a monthly subscription to Sheet Music Direct: https://www.sheetmusicdirect.com/en-US/subscription

It's $10 a month and "all you can eat", it's got a really good selection of popular tunes and they are professionally arranged and they have all levels. It's pretty perfect for my needs. The "catch" is that you can't download the sheet music (unlike Virtual Sheet Music, where you can download all you want on the subscription, but the download library is only stuff out of copyright, so it's not great for learning pop stuff.) With a little cleverness you could potentially figure out how to keep it on your computer anyway but that would probably be violating copyrights and you shouldn't do it.

I swear I'm not a paid shill even though reading what I wrote it kind of sounds like it smile I was just in the same boat as you and finding the free arrangements on places like MuseScore to be severely lacking, like your example.

BTW, for your example, if it were me, I'd transpose the G3 to a G2, play that in the left hand with L1 holding the G2, and then I'd play the B3 in the right holding it with the R1. I tried it and it's totally doable, and sounds OK to me.

Last edited by squidbot; 03/15/19 06:14 PM.

๐’€๐’‚๐’Ž๐’‚๐’‰๐’‚ ๐‘จ๐’—๐’‚๐’๐’• ๐‘ฎ๐’“๐’‚๐’๐’… ๐‘ต1๐‘ฟ
Re: Reading tips / help please. [Re: OMAW3D] #2827299
03/15/19 07:06 PM
03/15/19 07:06 PM
Southern California
TomLC Online content
Gold Subscriber
TomLC  Online Content
Gold Subscriber

Southern California
[spoiler][/spoiler]On Sheetmusicdirect you should be able to print it to a PDF file and save it. At worst print it and scan it back to your computer. I have not encountered a problem on any of these sites printing a copy. Unless that is the catch with the monthly subscription? I just pay for each score. $4 to $5. You bought it, so how is it a copyright violation to print it for your own use?

In the OPโ€™s score, the left hand plays both Gโ€™s, and the riight hand plays both Bโ€™s. Just because the note is in the base staff doesnโ€™t mean you have to play it with your left hand. Or did someone already say that?

Last edited by TomLC; 03/15/19 07:12 PM.

[Linked Image]

Kawai Novus NV10
Re: Reading tips / help please. [Re: OMAW3D] #2827340
03/15/19 09:19 PM
03/15/19 09:19 PM
Kitsap County, WA
squidbot Offline
Gold Subscriber
squidbot  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Kitsap County, WA
Itโ€™s those descending quarters on the left hand that make it problematic when you are trying to do it without pedal (and with the runs pedal wouldnโ€™t sound good anyway) unless you have freakish Rachmaninov hands.

๐’€๐’‚๐’Ž๐’‚๐’‰๐’‚ ๐‘จ๐’—๐’‚๐’๐’• ๐‘ฎ๐’“๐’‚๐’๐’… ๐‘ต1๐‘ฟ

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
garritan steinway problem
by realovc22. 03/22/19 04:28 PM
QuietTimeยฎ GT-2 mini 2 Silent system.
by PianoStartsAt33. 03/22/19 03:41 PM
QuietTimeยฎ GT-2 mini 2 Silent system.
by PianoStartsAt33. 03/22/19 03:35 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,059
Posts2,809,558
Members92,847
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission