Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
147 registered members (anotherscott, akc42, anamnesis, agraffe, 36251, accordeur, Beardog, AnthonyPaulO, Audetto, AssociateX, 32 invisible), 1,129 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: It's amazing what you can achieve [Re: Colin Miles] #2826871
03/14/19 06:20 PM
03/14/19 06:20 PM
M
Moo :) Offline
500 Post Club Member
Moo :)  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

Well done. Schumann's Traumerei is an excellent piece.

I feel that forcing the hand to get a 10th is a bad idea. There is risk of hurting the tendons.

I dont however feel that it is a useful skill.

In lessons if I cannot do something due to hand size then we find alternatives.

I have never been taught to stretch the hand to force a reach - ouch !

Last edited by Moo :); 03/14/19 06:22 PM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: It's amazing what you can achieve [Re: Colin Miles] #2826895
03/14/19 07:07 PM
03/14/19 07:07 PM
South Wales
C
Colin Miles Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Colin Miles  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
C

South Wales
I certainly never intended this as a competition but rather as an example of what can be achieved, albeit rather accidentally as I have never practiced stretching, and also to try to encourage all of you who are so much younger than I am to believe that you can do things if you go about it in the right way.

Roland LX7

South Wales, UK
Re: It's amazing what you can achieve [Re: Colin Miles] #2826901
03/14/19 07:15 PM
03/14/19 07:15 PM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
Originally Posted by Colin Miles
I certainly never intended this as a competition but rather as an example of what can be achieved, albeit rather accidentally as I have never practiced stretching, and also to try to encourage all of you who are so much younger than I am to believe that you can do things if you go about it in the right way.

I am not THAT much younger smile
But I think you are jumping into wrong conclusions here...your strech improved because your hand size was not fully in use yet. After it is there is no healthy way to increase one's span.

Re: It's amazing what you can achieve [Re: Colin Miles] #2826906
03/14/19 07:23 PM
03/14/19 07:23 PM
M
Moo :) Offline
500 Post Club Member
Moo :)  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

No worries.

I think people picked up on the 10th, rather than the achievement of the regular practice.

It is relatively common to arrpegiate 10ths, listen to it at 2:21-2:22.

I find the left hand stretch for the 10th painful so I would arrpegiate it I think.

Re: It's amazing what you can achieve [Re: outo] #2826909
03/14/19 07:25 PM
03/14/19 07:25 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Midwest USA
Originally Posted by outo

But I think you are jumping into wrong conclusions here...your stretch [span] improved because your hand size was not fully in use yet. After it is there is no healthy way to increase one's span.
Exactly.

[Linked Image]
At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.
Re: It's amazing what you can achieve [Re: Stubbie] #2826911
03/14/19 07:28 PM
03/14/19 07:28 PM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
Originally Posted by Stubbie

But I think you are jumping into wrong conclusions here...your stretch [span] improved because your hand size was not fully in use yet. After it is there is no healthy way to increase one's span.
Exactly.

Except finger extensions of course...I have them on my shopping list, just need to find some that actually work wink

Re: It's amazing what you can achieve [Re: outo] #2826923
03/14/19 07:43 PM
03/14/19 07:43 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

Except finger extensions of course...I have them on my shopping list, just need to find some that actually work wink

I'd worry that any finger extender would lead to early-onset arthritis. Since my motorcycle accident, I have become paranoid about early onset arthritis as I figure I am on borrowed time.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
Re: It's amazing what you can achieve [Re: Colin Miles] #2826926
03/14/19 07:51 PM
03/14/19 07:51 PM
Detroit
F
Fidel Offline
Fidel  Offline
F

Detroit
When I quit as a limber teen I couldn't reach tenths but I could reach ninths. Today after 1,500 hours of restart practice with a maniacal focus on technique & flexibility I can proudly announce that ... drum roll please. ... I cannot reach tenths but I can reach ninths.

Oh well. Some things change but others stay the same. My college teacher assured me my limited reach would not hinder my repertoire. I want to believe her.

Last edited by Fidel; 03/14/19 07:52 PM.

Baldwin SF-10 (1979)
Re: It's amazing what you can achieve [Re: Colin Miles] #2826984
03/14/19 10:54 PM
03/14/19 10:54 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T

Auckland, New Zealand
It seems natural for many people to take for granted the hundreds of things they can do and keep fretting about things they cannot do. On piano forums the favourites appear to be stretching tenths and having absolute pitch, neither of which are in the slightest degree essential to enjoyment and success at the instrument.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Re: It's amazing what you can achieve [Re: Ted] #2826994
03/14/19 11:43 PM
03/14/19 11:43 PM
Chicago
J
John305 Offline
John305  Offline
J

Chicago
Originally Posted by Ted
It seems natural for many people to take for granted the hundreds of things they can do and keep fretting about things they cannot do. On piano forums the favourites appear to be stretching tenths and having absolute pitch, neither of which are in the slightest degree essential to enjoyment and success at the instrument.

QFT

It’s never too late to be what you might have been. -George Eliot
Re: It's amazing what you can achieve [Re: John305] #2827001
03/15/19 12:30 AM
03/15/19 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by John305
Originally Posted by Ted

QFT

I was scratching my head going: "Quantum Field Theory? Quantum Field Theory? What does absolute pitch or tenths have to do with Quantum Field Theory? wink laugh

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
Re: It's amazing what you can achieve [Re: outo] #2827033
03/15/19 04:34 AM
03/15/19 04:34 AM
South Wales
C
Colin Miles Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Colin Miles  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
C

South Wales
[
But I think you are jumping into wrong conclusions here...your strech improved because your hand size was not fully in use yet. After it is there is no healthy way to increase one's span.

An interesting comment. However, from the age of 7 to 18 I was playing the piano virtually every day - often 1 to 2 hours or more - and clocked up an awful lot of hand mileage. I was also an organist and a self-taught violinist. When I restarted playing 'seriously' at the age of 60 my hands and fingers were very stiff and the middle finger of the right hand in particular was of concern and I always thought that would be a serious limitation. But since playing carefully for a couple hours every day over the past 18 months that no longer bothers me.

I always remember back when my father and his friends were in their mid-forties, deciding that they were too old to continue playing for the local cricket club. This was clearly at odds to the way they were actually playing. But because they had reached a certain age that was what they thought.

Hand stretching is perhaps a bad example of what is possible but it was, if you like, what got me excited that particular week. And something that I had not expected.

The brain is a malleable instrument which dictates not just how the mind works, but also the body. Think about it.

Last edited by Colin Miles; 03/15/19 04:35 AM. Reason: additional comment

Roland LX7

South Wales, UK
Re: It's amazing what you can achieve [Re: Colin Miles] #2827037
03/15/19 05:09 AM
03/15/19 05:09 AM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
[

An interesting comment. However, from the age of 7 to 18 I was playing the piano virtually every day - often 1 to 2 hours or more - and clocked up an awful lot of hand mileage. I was also an organist and a self-taught violinist. When I restarted playing 'seriously' at the age of 60 my hands and fingers were very stiff and the middle finger of the right hand in particular was of concern and I always thought that would be a serious limitation. But since playing carefully for a couple hours every day over the past 18 months that no longer bothers me.

I always remember back when my father and his friends were in their mid-forties, deciding that they were too old to continue playing for the local cricket club. This was clearly at odds to the way they were actually playing. But because they had reached a certain age that was what they thought.

Hand stretching is perhaps a bad example of what is possible but it was, if you like, what got me excited that particular week. And something that I had not expected.

The brain is a malleable instrument which dictates not just how the mind works, but also the body. Think about it.

There are physical limitations though that the mind cannot change.
It is common to be tense when playing "big" things, and that can limit ones reach no matter how much you practice. Sometimes trying a little less can help you be less tense and thus get more span. Muscles do strech. It has happened to me too. However there are other structures in the hand that do not increase no matter what you do unless you start breaking them...

Re: It's amazing what you can achieve [Re: outo] #2827039
03/15/19 05:11 AM
03/15/19 05:11 AM

However there are other structures in the hand that do not increase no matter what you do unless you start breaking them...

...to Schumann's dismay!

Re: It's amazing what you can achieve [Re: Colin Miles] #2827060
03/15/19 06:34 AM
03/15/19 06:34 AM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Offline
B

As an interesting aside, my last teacher (a concert pianist) had gigantic hands - at least, they seemed to me gigantic, as he could easily encompass 11ths, possibly 12ths just like Rach - but there was one thing I could do relatively easily which he couldn't - stretch a 7th between my index finger and pinky.

This is a fairly common requirement not just in Rachmaninov (e.g. Prelude Op.23/4: C#-D-A-C#'), but even in some classical pieces, and it cannot easily be circumvented by other means, like leaving out a note, redistributing the notes between hands or rolling, because that loses the composer's intention - the clash between two adjacent notes plus the octave.

In other words, there were a few pieces I could easily play which he couldn't, with his bear-like paws smirk .

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: It's amazing what you can achieve [Re: bennevis] #2827076
03/15/19 08:05 AM
03/15/19 08:05 AM
New York City
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
Originally Posted by bennevis
This is a fairly common requirement not just in Rachmaninov (e.g. Prelude Op.23/4: C#-D-A-C#'), but even in some classical pieces, and it cannot easily be circumvented by other means, like leaving out a note, redistributing the notes between hands or rolling, because that loses the composer's intention - the clash between two adjacent notes plus the octave.
I think most people just play the C#-D with the thumb.

Re: It's amazing what you can achieve [Re: Colin Miles] #2827557
03/16/19 01:10 PM
03/16/19 01:10 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Midwest USA
[

[...]

Okay, I've thought about it. I'm going to command my hand to grow. Maybe I will ask for blue eyes while I'm at it. cool

Hand size is innate. Stiffness or lack of flexibility may or may not be something that can be remedied, depending on what is causing the stiffness or lack of flexibility. If it's from lack of use (as yours was), then it is fixible once you start using it. Other causes (e.g. arthritis or injury) are really not fixible (we do work-arounds instead).

Colin, you still don't seem to accept any innate limitations to hand span. Do you expect to be playing 12ths or 13th in another eighteen months?

[Linked Image]
At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.
Re: It's amazing what you can achieve [Re: Stubbie] #2827570
03/16/19 01:58 PM
03/16/19 01:58 PM
South Wales
C
Colin Miles Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Colin Miles  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
C

South Wales

Hand size is innate. Stiffness or lack of flexibility may or may not be something that can be remedied, depending on what is causing the stiffness or lack of flexibility. If it's from lack of use (as yours was), then it is fixible once you start using it. Other causes (e.g. arthritis or injury) are really not fixible (we do work-arounds instead).

Colin, you still don't seem to accept any innate limitations to hand span. Do you expect to be playing 12ths or 13th in another eighteen months?

Stubbie - l am saying that I can now reach a 10th - or the particular one I mentioned - which I couldn't when I was 18. It has nothing to do with the lack of use in the intervening period. I am not the only person who has mentioned that it is possible to loosen things up with careful use. I do stress the word careful - which didn't involve stretching. And no, I don't expect to manage 12ths or 13ths. But there are a lot of other things that I am working on which involve loosening up my hands, wrists, arms, etc. In particular thirds and sixths. And yes, in a lot of cases it is necessary to do work-arounds.

Roland LX7

South Wales, UK
Re: It's amazing what you can achieve [Re: Colin Miles] #2827575
03/16/19 02:20 PM
03/16/19 02:20 PM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland

Stubbie - l am saying that I can now reach a 10th - or the particular one I mentioned - which I couldn't when I was 18. It has nothing to do with the lack of use in the intervening period. I am not the only person who has mentioned that it is possible to loosen things up with careful use. I do stress the word careful - which didn't involve stretching. And no, I don't expect to manage 12ths or 13ths. But there are a lot of other things that I am working on which involve loosening up my hands, wrists, arms, etc. In particular thirds and sixths. And yes, in a lot of cases it is necessary to do work-arounds.

I think the point was that if one starts with sevenths, one may be able to reach octaves, but never tenths. Your hands are larger so you can achieve more than we small handed folks ever can. Also sometimes there are extra limitations, like I cannot fully open my thumbs because of a structural anomaly. After a certain point one may as well stop trying to increase the reach. Why do you assume that other people have not found their "extra reach" already?

Re: It's amazing what you can achieve [Re: Colin Miles] #2827579
03/16/19 02:30 PM
03/16/19 02:30 PM
B
bennevis Offline
bennevis  Offline
B

Something that hasn't been mentioned - boys don't stop developing physically until they're in their early twenties.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano With Humility
by Retsacnal. 03/22/19 06:43 PM
Piano in hospital
by CharlesXX. 03/22/19 06:38 PM
garritan steinway problem
by realovc22. 03/22/19 04:28 PM
QuietTime® GT-2 mini 2 Silent system.
by PianoStartsAt33. 03/22/19 03:41 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,059
Posts2,809,575
Members92,847
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission