2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 28 of 108 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 107 108
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Is there some other mode I'm supposed to be tested in? I feel like I'm missing something. I'm a little new to the Chrome/laptop interface. I was using the iPad app in the past.

Up to Microcosmos 1:6 six unison melodies 6 I don't see a golden star either. From 1:7 Dotted notes the stars are visible.

Piano Marvel level 4E and everything I like smile
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Sarah65
Is there some other mode I'm supposed to be tested in? I feel like I'm missing something. I'm a little new to the Chrome/laptop interface. I was using the iPad app in the past.

Up to Microcosmos 1:6 six unison melodies 6 I don't see a golden star either. From 1:7 Dotted notes the stars are visible.

Ah, thanks Sarah! I thought something was missing. Perhaps I'm too fixated on getting gold stars. ;-)

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by LarryK

Ah, thanks Sarah! I thought something was missing. Perhaps I'm too fixated on getting gold stars. ;-)

I find that Mikrokosmos very good exercises to train left and right. Since I use that, my left hand goes much better.
Don't we all love golden stars laugh

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I don't believe StaffPad exports to anything besides mxl so I will have to do that trick with Musescore. I will mention it to the developers of StaffPad.

Well, having been a programmer in a past life, and having not looked at the specs for the musicxml and mxl file formats, my educated guess is that since StaffPad already supports mxl, it might be close to trivial for them to hack into their app support for musicxml. They just have to be motivated to do it.

I will ask them. I find their software to be as close to magic as I've ever seen, and so, I can forgive them this oversight.

It turns out that there is an option in the dropdown in StaffPad to export to uncompressed, it just defaults to compressed. So, I should be good to go. I'll have to try it out.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

I find that Mikrokosmos very good exercises to train left and right. Since I use that, my left hand goes much better.
Don't we all love golden stars laugh

Hello Sarah,

Is Book 2 of Mikrokosmos in the Library? I can't seem to find it. The exercises are great for training both hands, I agree.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Hello Sarah,

Is Book 2 of Mikrokosmos in the Library? I can't seem to find it. The exercises are great for training both hands, I agree.

If it isn't, you can email PM and encourage them to upload it. It's a useful educational work and PM is all about education. They are actively loading all sorts of stuff into the library, and I think a complete set of 6 volumes of Mikrokosmos would be an excellent thing to have in their library.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Hello Sarah,

If it isn't, you can email PM and encourage them to upload it. It's a useful educational work and PM is all about education. They are actively loading all sorts of stuff into the library, and I think a complete set of 6 volumes of Mikrokosmos would be an excellent thing to have in their library.

Yes, I agree. I have sent them a note encouraging them to put all the volumes into the library. I can write them up in StaffPad, and I'm pretty fast at it, but it does take time away from practicing and other things, so, I'd rather not do it if I don't have to.

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello Sarah,

Did you finish book 1 already then? I can only do one song every day. For so far I know there is no other in the library. As Tyrone said, ask PM wink

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Hello Sarah,

Did you finish book 1 already then? I can only do one song every day. For so far I know there is no other in the library. As Tyrone said, ask PM wink

That would have been impressively fast! grin I had assumed LarryK was just planning ahead for when he does finish!

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
I had to look up Mikrokosmos. So is that work old enough that copyright doesn't apply? (I have no idea how profitable PM is.)

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

Hello Sarah,

That would have been impressively fast! grin I had assumed LarryK was just planning ahead for when he does finish!

Fear not, I’m not an adult prodigy! Actually, the definition of prodigy says child or youth so child prodigy is redundant, I’d say.

My progress is one exercise a day. I was planning ahead and thinking of others.

Yes, what is the copyright status of Mikrokosmos? Did PM just post it and wait for a takedown notice? Maybe Bartok would have liked PM for his son.

Last edited by LarryK; 03/15/19 08:15 AM.
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline

Yes, what is the copyright status of Mikrokosmos? Did PM just post it and wait for a takedown notice? Maybe Bartok would have liked PM for his son.

https://imslp.org/wiki/Mikrokosmos%2C_Sz.107_(Bartók%2C_Béla)

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

In the US, it will go out of copyright next September. No idea where the PM servers are though.

[Linked Image]

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

In the US, it will go out of copyright next September. No idea where the PM servers are though.

Thanks for this information. The person from PM said they would request permission to add the other volumes.

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline

Colorado Is their headquarters ...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N29cSoeGm8&fbclid=IwAR2STe5CtZUZOioJDGENL8xTqf-w7aNR-uFN0MfzanGgaaxTcNtB9fK45yU

at 0.31 smile

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
The exercises are great for training both hands, I agree.

I would like to see anyone sight-read Volume 6, though smile The pieces in that are very advanced. For example, this one is considered an advanced diploma level (professional):

Even by Book 3, there will be pieces that will be too difficult to sight read for us beginners, such as this one here:

I'm sure they still will be great training pieces even if not sight-readable by beginners.

[Linked Image]

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Yes, the road is going to get difficult. I would be ecstatic if I could make it through Volume 2.

In the description in the beginning of the book, it says the first three volumes are good for the first one or two years of study. If anybody makes it to Volume 2, I'm willing to write the pieces up in StaffPad and mail around the MIDI and XML files.

Strangely, the uncompressed XML file from StaffPad chopped off the piece just like the compressed file so I'm a bit puzzled as to what is wrong.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Strangely, the uncompressed XML file from StaffPad chopped off the piece just like the compressed file so I'm a bit puzzled as to what is wrong.

If you want to compare the XML to find the difference, here is a DropBox link to your original compressed mxl file after it is converted to the uncompressed musicxml format, which MuseScore converted for me. This uncompressed musicxml format file does work to upload into PM. I had changed nothing in the score, just opened your provided file and then exported in uncompressed musicxml format. You can compare the XML in this file with the XML when StaffPad writes the uncompressed MusicXML directly.

I imagine you'd find the issue pretty much right away. Often it is something minor in these cases either an incorrect interpretation of the XML format in PM or StaffPad. I'd be willing to bet though that MuseScore is doing it correct if its output is readable by PM, so likely the error is occurring in either PM or StaffPad... or both.

[Linked Image]

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Today, I received the Yamaha P-515! It's nice, I am happy that I bought it.

I hooked up PianoMarvel to the new keyboard. The first time I tried PM, it would not recognize the keyboard. I rebooted my MacBook Pro and then it worked. Maybe it somehow remembered my old keyboard?

I hooked up the sound output from the MacBook to the Aux Input on the P-515 using a 3.5mm jack. Everything works as before, but it seems to me that the PianoMarvel count in voice is kind of distorted. I don't believe I hear this distortion when listening to YouTube videos on the laptop. I tried turning the volume down on my laptop, but it does not seem to make a difference. Has anybody else noticed this? I don't think I hear distortion in the accompaniment.

I'm using a brand new pair of Denon AH-D7200 headphones which sound amazing with the Yamaha. I happened to stick the keyboard between my stereo speakers and when I play with headphones and look at the speakers, it seems like the sound is coming out of the speaker. It is uncanny.

I installed the trial version of Pianoteq 6 and I can see how that is going to be a lot of fun. I think I'll buy it. Am I right in assuming it is sending the sounds back through the USB cable or is it using the audio output? Do I need to turn off Local Control?

Last edited by LarryK; 03/18/19 07:16 PM.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Today, I received the Yamaha P-515! It's nice, I am happy that I bought it.

I hooked up PianoMarvel to the new keyboard. The first time I tried PM, it would not recognize the keyboard. I rebooted my MacBook Pro and then it worked. Maybe it somehow remembered my old keyboard?

This happens all the time to me for my piano computer which is Win10Pro. Never been able to cure it. I usually just rebook my computer and it resolves it. A couple of times, I've had to reboot the DP too. I would be very interested if anyone found what is the cause of this or the "proper solution" that makes rebooting unnecessary since it is inconvenient and takes time. On the other hand, I usually leave my computer on all the time, and the typical time this happens for me is when I turn the DP off - say to clean the keys, for example.

I hooked up the sound output from the MacBook to the Aux Input on the P-515 using a 3.5mm jack. Everything works as before, but it seems to me that the PianoMarvel count in voice is kind of distorted. I don't believe I hear this distortion when listening to YouTube videos on the laptop. I tried turning the volume down on my laptop, but it does not seem to make a difference. Has anybody else noticed this? I don't think I hear distortion in the accompaniment.

I personally avoid by using a small mixing board that mixes the output of the piano with the output of my piano computer, and this is then fed to my headphone amp and headphones. I just figure that piano's amps were tuned for piano output. Why would I want to put voice through it?

I installed the trial version of Pianoteq 6 and I can see how that is going to be a lot of fun. I think I'll buy it. Am I right in assuming it is sending the sounds back through the USB cable or is it using the audio output?

I don't know about sending sounds back via USB. I suppose it is possible if one has the right drivers installed. In my case, the signal is sent via an audio output, and not so long ago, I got an external audio interface for the computer so that the ASIO driver would not block the audio channel from other apps using it (say PM, etc.). But I don't have P515. I believe the P515 has a special audio interface, so it may actually work via USB, as you suggested.

Do I need to turn off Local Control?

Yes.

[Linked Image]

Page 28 of 108 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 107 108

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission