2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks for helping with the PG185 earlier this week.

Today another Young Chang popped for sale near my house. A slightly smaller PG175. Serial number is: YG 0139395

According to the Total Piano Care web sit it looks like a 2002 but just wanted to verify. According to the ad it is a moving sale and they are asking $4500 which seems a decent price for this piano, at least decent enough to go look at it since it is close by.

People spoke generally favorably about the Young Chang PG185 I was asking about earlier this week which was a 2004. I'm assuming that the same general comments would apply to a 2002 PG175? That its a reasonably decent mid-range consumer grade piano?

Last edited by texasdiver; 03/13/19 05:02 PM.
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

Pierce agrees, it's 2002.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Originally Posted by texasdiver
People spoke generally favorably about the Young Chang PG185 I was asking about earlier this week which was a 2004. I'm assuming that the same general comments would apply to a 2002 PG175? That its a reasonably decent mid-range consumer grade piano?
Yes indeed. smile Price seems fair depending on the current condition of the piano.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Carey
Yes indeed. smile Price seems fair depending on the current condition of the piano.

No way to know until I look at it. Only one photo on the listing. Didn't get much info via email from the seller who has broken English and an Asian name so I'm guessing an immigrant family with limited English. It is close by so definitely worth a look: https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/msg/d/vancouver-young-chang-piano/6839728054.html I already have a local tech lined up to look at another piano much farther away so this should be easier.

Online Content

No way to know until I look at it. Only one photo on the listing. Didn't get much info via email from the seller who has broken English and an Asian name so I'm guessing an immigrant family with limited English. It is close by so definitely worth a look: https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/msg/d/vancouver-young-chang-piano/6839728054.html I already have a local tech lined up to look at another piano much farther away so this should be easier.

Another piano placed close to windows. crazy They certainly didn't make an effort to highlight the attributes of the piano in the photo. Piano shopping can sometimes be a great adventure.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
T
OP Offline
T

Another piano placed close to windows. crazy They certainly didn't make an effort to highlight the attributes of the piano in the photo. Piano shopping can sometimes be a great adventure.

Well, this isn't Arizona. It is rainy cloudy Pacific Northwest. If the windows are to the north or east they probably never get any direct sun. Our sun is very low in the sky much of they year and often hidden.

Online Content

Well, this isn't Arizona. It is rainy cloudy Pacific Northwest. If the windows are to the north or east they probably never get any direct sun. Our sun is very low in the sky much of they year and often hidden.
Good point !! Over the past 25 years I've adjusted to living in the land of "bright light." If we have two consecutive days of cold, wet, cloudy weather I tend to get depressed. ha Actually my Mason and Hamlin is positioned next to a large window that faces west. While the late afternoons can be brutal on that side of the house in the summer, the big tree in front of the window, sunscreens, double pane windows and interior wood blinds that are closed 99% of the time offer plenty of protection.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
T
OP Offline
T
Went out and saw it this evening. Piano is in absolute pristine condition. Current family bought it 5 years ago for their 12 year old son to learn on. They are moving out of state to a smaller place and can't bring the grand along. Bought it from an elderly Korean lady who was downsizing. So it is pristine.

Unfortunately the fussy 12 year old wasn't really thrilled with the action. It won't play as softly as she would like. She wasn't really happy. When she played lightly it was too stiff and uneven in her words. I'm not sure if there is a piano out there that she will like. Well, she did like the new Yamahas we tried. But so far that is it. I'm not sure if this piano was anything more than normal. Hard for me to tell.

The search continues. But if anyone in PDX is looking for a pristine Young Chang this is it.

Last edited by texasdiver; 03/13/19 11:02 PM.

Online Content

Went out and saw it this evening. Piano is in absolute pristine condition. Current family bought it 5 years ago for their 12 year old son to learn on. They are moving out of state to a smaller place and can't bring the grand along. Bought it from an elderly Korean lady who was downsizing. So it is pristine.

Unfortunately the fussy 12 year old wasn't really thrilled with the action. It won't play as softly as she would like. She wasn't really happy. When she played lightly it was too stiff and uneven in her words. I'm not sure if there is a piano out there that she will like. Well, she did like the new Yamahas we tried. But so far that is it. I'm not sure if this piano was anything more than normal. Hard for me to tell.

The search continues. But if anyone in PDX is looking for a pristine Young Chang this is it.
"Stiff and uneven" can usually be addressed to some degree by a good regulation - which is probably something that piano is long overdue for.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
A
A
The piano sounds so nice. How was the sound? Maybe consult a tech about the action if she likes the sound?? But perhaps she just didn't love it. Artists are fussy, but finding that right connection might help her soar. Good continued luck.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission