2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
37 members (dcbluepiano, David B, Carey, bwv872, 1957, Alexander Acosta, Chris Vitale, astrotoy, 8 invisible), 394 guests, and 405 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 172 1 2 3 4 5 6 171 172
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On
CyberGene #2825922 03/12/19 02:48 PM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene

Now, back to N1X, who was the other guy who expected a N1X soon? Was it squidbot? How are things going?

It arrives Thursday morning between 9 and 11 smile They actually had it in the warehouse when I purchased it two weeks ago, but due to my location I had to wait until the delivery service could get to me.

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, R. Schumann Fantasy Dance, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
David B #2825993 03/12/19 05:21 PM
B
B
When I was shopping (dec), my dealer told me that the piano they sold the most of by far was the NU1X. The reason being institutional sales- apparently music conservatories buy them in pretty large volume, and replace them often.

Current: Yamaha NU1X, Pianoteq & Logic; Yamaha Reface DX & YC
Past: Yamaha CP4, CME UF8, Roland A80, Roland MK80, Yamaha P22 upright
David B #2826077 03/12/19 09:12 PM
D
David B Online Content OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
Here is a CFX comparison between the internal N1X CFX and my VSL CFX. They both sound good, but I prefer the VSL CFX. It sounds more rich and clearer to me.

I do prefer the N1X Bosendorfer over the N1X CFX.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Mac mini 2018/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Completed
Duane Shinn Praise and Gospel Course; In Progress
Duane Shinn Pro Secrets Course; On Hold
David B #2826080 03/12/19 09:22 PM
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I'm looking forward to hearing this comparison. Just btw, I think prefer the P-515 Bodendorfer to it's CFX, too.

Greg.

David B #2826090 03/12/19 09:54 PM
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
The Bosendorfer has a softer hue to the tone and sounds less "digital". The CFX is more in your face. Based on this video, I too prefer the Bosendorfer.

If the AG was being used in a group, as opposed to playing solo, the CFX would fare better, with regard to more clarity and a better "cutting through" quality in the ensemble. Although I would guess that would be in the very small percentage of AG user applications.

I recently played both a brand new CFX and 280 VC side by side at Keyboard Concepts in the Valley. The difference was eye/hear opening how big a tonal difference there is between the two. While always having been a Yamaha fan- I've owned two in the past - the CFX wasn't in the same ballpark as the Austrian piano.

Thanks for the video comparison.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4
David B #2826091 03/12/19 10:02 PM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by David B
Here is a CFX comparison between the internal N1X CFX and my VSL CFX. They both sound good, but I prefer the VSL CFX. It sounds more rich and clearer to me.

I do prefer the N1X Bosendorfer over the N1X CFX.

God Bless,
David

When you play the vst cfx, are you listening to the sound by piano's speakers or the studio monitors?

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
Dave Ferris #2826097 03/12/19 10:25 PM
D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
The Bosendorfer has a softer hue to the tone and sounds less "digital". The CFX is more in your face. Based on this video, I too prefer the Bosendorfer.

You mean the N1X CFX has a softer hue? The Bosendofer was played in the original post of this thread.

Either way, I agree with your observation.

If the AG was being used in a group, as opposed to playing solo, the CFX would fare better, with regard to more clarity and a better "cutting through" quality in the ensemble. Although I would guess that would be in the very small percentage of AG user applications.

That's a good point. Thanks for sharing.

I'm really impressed with the N1X Bosendorfer sound (in the original post video). It has a very natural feel to it and is very expressive.

All of these sounds are nice, and coupled with the N1X action, the experience is as close as you can get to an acoustic. I'm very happy with this piano. I remember reading about the great joy NV10 owners had as they anticipated playing their pianos everyday. I remember thinking, "I don't feel that way about playing my MP11SE or any other DP for that matter." Now I know what the NV10 owners are feeling. I look forward to playing the N1X everyday and I'm disappointed when it's time to go to work.

Please excuse my religious expressions, but I just have to "Praise The Lord!" It's hard to believe that I own such a nice instrument.

God Bless,
David

Last edited by David B; 03/12/19 10:33 PM.

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Jitin #2826098 03/12/19 10:28 PM
D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Jitin

When you play the vst cfx, are you listening to the sound by piano's speakers or the studio monitors?

I play everything through both the internal speakers and external monitors. I view the external monitors as supporting the main speaker system of the N1X. I like the combination.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
David B #2826134 03/13/19 01:15 AM
P
P

You mean the N1X CFX has a softer hue? The Bosendofer was played in the original post of this thread.

I'm really impressed with the N1X Bosendorfer sound (in the original post video). It has a very natural feel to it and is very expressive.

All of these sounds are nice, and coupled with the N1X action, the experience is as close as you can get to an acoustic. I'm very happy with this piano. I remember reading about the great joy NV10 owners had as they anticipated playing their pianos everyday. I remember thinking, "I don't feel that way about playing my MP11SE or any other DP for that matter." Now I know what the NV10 owners are feeling. I look forward to playing the N1X everyday and I'm disappointed when it's time to go to work.

Please excuse my religious expressions, but I just have to "Praise The Lord!" It's hard to believe that I own such a nice instrument.

God Bless,
David

Thanks for this post David. I ordered my N1X last week and I have to wait until mid to end of April to receive it (I live in Australia). I’m very excited to play it for the first time...!

David B #2826144 03/13/19 02:03 AM
H
H

God Bless,
David

David have you tried the Bösendorfer grand? How does it compare to the Bösendorfer imperial? I believe in your video you are playing using the bösendorfer imperial right?

Harpuia #2826153 03/13/19 02:56 AM
D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Harpuia

David have you tried the Bösendorfer grand? How does it compare to the Bösendorfer imperial? I believe in your video you are playing using the bösendorfer imperial right?

That's correct. In the first video in this thread I'm playing the Imperial. I haven't done a comparative analysis yet between the Bosendorfer imperial and Bosendorfer Grand. Mostly I've been playing the Imperial and my VSL samples.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
David B #2826156 03/13/19 03:12 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
While owning the NU1X I thought the Bösendorfer wasn’t as bad as some people previously suggested but I vastly preferred the CFX anyway. That’s through headphones though. The binaural CFX is simply superb. But even playing through speakers I still preferred the CFX. It would be interesting to see whether N1X is different in that regard. It’s 4-channel sampled compared to stereo on the N1UX.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
David B #2826199 03/13/19 07:40 AM
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
The VSL obviously sounds richer, but I like them both. Perhaps the N1X would sound closer to the VSL with a bit more reverb. I liked the VSL more than I expected I would - earlier demos I'd heard sounded too distant for my taste.

Greg.

David B #2826276 03/13/19 11:49 AM
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
A little late to this thread - Congratulations David!! Your piano, and room looks awesome. Very nice setup.

I am really glad to know that the builtin audio card is working well with VSTs - that is one thing that I am hoping will come in NV20!

Thanks,
Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST. Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Pianoteq 6/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
David B #2826286 03/13/19 12:14 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Current status of my order in Thomann changed to "Your order has been commissioned, and the items are being assembled right now!". What the... What does that mean? Hopefully Yamaha will be able to "assemble" my piano soon frown

CyberGene #2826291 03/13/19 12:23 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Current status of my order in Thomann changed to "Your order has been commissioned, and the items are being assembled right now!". What the... What does that mean? Hopefully Yamaha will be able to "assemble" my piano soon frown

I bet it's just a funny translation and your items are actually just collected, compiled and assorted right now. laugh

Richwood RD-17C-CE | LaMancha Rubi CM-N | Yamaha P-515
CyberGene #2826301 03/13/19 12:46 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

It's a translation of the German "Ihre Bestellung wurde kommissioniert und wird gerade zusammengestellt". It means that they are in the process of packing up everything for delivery. The "kommissionieren" and "zusammenstellen" bits essentially mean the same thing: Collect everything that was ordered from storage and assemble it into a delivery package. Of course the wording makes a bit more sense if you ordered more than one item, but I guess it's a bit too complex to have a different boiler plate text for orders with only one item.
So rejoice, it's on its way to you - or will be, very soon. smile

JoBert #2826307 03/13/19 12:58 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoBert

It's a translation of the German "Ihre Bestellung wurde kommissioniert und wird gerade zusammengestellt". It means that they are in the process of packing up everything for delivery. The "kommissionieren" and "zusammenstellen" bits essentially mean the same thing: Collect everything that was ordered from storage and assemble it into a delivery package. Of course the wording makes a bit more sense if you ordered more than one item, but I guess it's a bit too complex to have a different boiler plate text for orders with only one item.
So rejoice, it's on its way to you - or will be, very soon. smile

Wow, thank you! That's a nice surprise, I thought it meant something entirely different! smile

David B #2826324 03/13/19 01:14 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
JoBert: I emailed Thomann, and they've updated the order to say: Ihre Bestellung wurde ausgewählt und an MacMacMac gesendet
Thanks for the nice piano! smile

David B #2826736 03/14/19 12:22 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
My N1X was shipped today. Should arrive in about 7-8 days smile

Page 4 of 172 1 2 3 4 5 6 171 172

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baldwin Acrosonic Spinet has 3 "twanging" bass keys.
by trooplewis - 10/28/20 09:57 PM
Question about HP704 and acoustic pianos
by paxel - 10/28/20 08:37 PM
Shopping for a hybrid digital
by Zora - 10/28/20 12:45 PM
Steinway Model M concerns?
by calenadariel - 10/28/20 12:41 PM
Got my job back after COVID but now...injury.
by TwoSnowflakes - 10/28/20 11:37 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,456
Posts3,018,175
Members99,059
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission