2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 9 invisible), 1,706 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 20 21
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
I guess most of you aren't old enough to remember "Etude Magazine":

The Etude Magazine: 1883-1957

Etude Magazine was published by Theodore Presser Company between 1883 and 1957. It was a staple for music teachers throughout the country, providing articles related to music history, new developments in music, and practical teaching techniques, as well as musical scores from the classics and new pieces for beginning to advanced students. Begun as an aid for piano teachers, the magazine grew to include information and literature for vocal and instrumental enthusiasts as well. Not only is the series important to the musician, but it provides an insight into the culture itself, including the impact of the development of the car, radio, and television, and expands to world music and the influence of world wars on that culture.

Regards,

These really are invaluable for information. I have a few of the 1880's originals in my collection.

[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
I have a number of Etude issues that belonged to my grandmother. They range in date from the early 1900's to about 1945. In one of them there is an announcement of a concert by Mrs. H. H. Beach. Mrs. Henry Harris Beach = Amy Beach. She went by Amy Beach in Europe, but as Mrs. H.H. Beach in the U.S.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stubbie
I have a number of Etude issues that belonged to my grandmother. They range in date from the early 1900's to about 1945. In one of them there is an announcement of a concert by Mrs. H. H. Beach.

Nice! How historical.

Originally Posted by Stubbie
Mrs. Henry Harris Beach = Amy Beach. She went by Amy Beach in Europe, but as Mrs. H.H. Beach in the U.S.

Wikipedia:
Amy was married the same year (1885) to Dr. Henry Harris Aubrey Beach, a Boston surgeon twenty-four years her senior (she was eighteen at the time). Her name would subsequently be listed on concert programs and published compositions as "Mrs. H. H. A. Beach." The marriage was conditioned upon her willingness "to live according to his status, that is, function as a society matron and patron of the arts. She agreed never to teach piano, an activity widely associated with women" and regarded as providing "pin money." She further agreed to limit performances to two public recitals per year, with profits donated to charity, and to devote herself more to composition than to performance (although, as she wrote, "I thought I was a pianist first and foremost.") Her self-guided education in composition was also necessitated by Dr. Beach, who disapproved of his wife studying with a tutor.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Does anyone else have trouble printing sheet music from the digital edition of Pianist magazine? I have a number of back issues in my digital library, but it's a hassle every time I want to print. Doesn't seem to matter whether I am using the Pocketmags app on my ipad, or online access via laptop browser. I can't get the whole page to show up. Maybe because it thinks everything is A4 rather than U.S. 8.5x11"? I don't want to put the iPad on my music desk; I like paper!

My work-around is to take a screenshot and chop off the edges, convert JPG to PDF, but this is tedious! Any other suggestions?

My local Barnes and Noble has the current issue only intermittently, so I took advantage of Squidbot's link and ordered a subscription to the paper copy (thanks neighbor!). Waiting for the first issue to arrive... but that doesn't help with printing from back issues. Help?!?

Estonia 168 (she sings!), Kawaii Es-110 for late-night practice.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Qwerty53
Does anyone else have trouble printing sheet music from the digital edition of Pianist magazine? I have a number of back issues in my digital library, but it's a hassle every time I want to print. Doesn't seem to matter whether I am using the Pocketmags app on my ipad, or online access via laptop browser. I can't get the whole page to show up. Maybe because it thinks everything is A4 rather than U.S. 8.5x11"? I don't want to put the iPad on my music desk; I like paper!

My work-around is to take a screenshot and chop off the edges, convert JPG to PDF, but this is tedious! Any other suggestions?

My local Barnes and Noble has the current issue only intermittently, so I took advantage of Squidbot's link and ordered a subscription to the paper copy (thanks neighbor!). Waiting for the first issue to arrive... but that doesn't help with printing from back issues. Help?!?

Something has changed recently. I sent them an email and facebook message saying it isn't working correctly a couple weeks ago. They said they were going fix it, I guess they haven't. It also has the limitation of only printing 2 pages at a time, and I don't recall it being limited to that before.

I use Chrome to print to PDF, and fiddle with the paper size and margin options so that it fits correctly.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Chrome! That's the ticket. I was using the Edge browser, and the options for controlling the print output were not as helpful. Thank you bSharp(C)yclist!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm still waiting for my first print issue too - its been a month, which is a lifetime in the digital age...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S #2823746 03/07/19 12:02 PM

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
I'm still waiting for my first print issue too - its been a month, which is a lifetime in the digital age...
Sam

Checking the mailbox every day with hope! It is usually so full of wasted paper these days; it will be a treat when the mailbox holds music!

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Sam

Checking the mailbox every day with hope! It is usually so full of wasted paper these days; it will be a treat when the mailbox holds music!

When I was a little kid, I'd be so thrilled to receive something in the mail. Today, of course, it's mostly junk.

The arrival of the latest issue of Pianist every two months is the only mail event that now sparks joy for me.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
The magazine was entertaining and is worth the price. Unfortunately my CD that came with is currently unplayed and gathering dust. I was not able to find some pieces from the book on youtube so this is an issue if you have no CD player. My favourite part of the magazine was the tortoise. I was always talking about piano learning being slow like a tortoise and there was a very big article about it - with a very big Mr (or is it a Ms?) tortorise on the side! I found it very funny :0.

Last edited by Moo :); 03/07/19 01:09 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Moo :)
The magazine was entertaining and is worth the price. Unfortunately my CD that came with is currently unplayed and gathering dust. I was not able to find some pieces from the book on youtube so this is an issue if you have no CD player. My favourite part of the magazine was the tortoise. I was always talking about piano learning being slow like a tortoise and there was a very big article about it - with a very big Mr (or is it a Ms?) tortorise on the side! I found it very funny :0.

Why don't you just buy an inexpensive CD player?

[Linked Image]
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by NobleHouse
Originally Posted by Moo :)

Why don't you just buy an inexpensive CD player?

Because I think Moo thinks it will put him back into the Stone Age. wink grin

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ClsscLib
Sam

When I was a little kid, I'd be so thrilled to receive something in the mail. Today, of course, it's mostly junk.

The arrival of the latest issue of Pianist every two months is the only mail event that now sparks joy for me.

I use Informed Delivery now from the post office and get emails with pictures of my postal mail before it arrives. If there is something good, I'll got to the box. It's kind of nice. I only go to the mailbox once every week or two laugh

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

Love the magazine. I went digital but will most likely go hard copy so others at the studio have access. Interesting article on refurbished Steinways to say the least!

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The magazine also uploads videos on YT that go along with current editions. Here are two recent ones:

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Has anyone who ordered through Express Mag gotten their Feb/Mar issue? I still haven't and I got the Dec/Jan almost right away after ordering in November.

Also, I haven't gotten the "GREAT PIANO COMPOSERS OF THE CLASSICAL ERA" book that I ordered.

Just wondering if I should complain yet or not.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by scorpio
The magazine also uploads videos on YT that go along with current editions. Here are two recent ones:

I liked the video with Chenyin Li smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8q6ARdeXow

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by squidbot
Has anyone who ordered through Express Mag gotten their Feb/Mar issue? I still haven't and I got the Dec/Jan almost right away after ordering in November.

Also, I haven't gotten the "GREAT PIANO COMPOSERS OF THE CLASSICAL ERA" book that I ordered.

I also subscribed to this magazine as a result of this thread - probably in January or so. I have yet to receive any issues. frown

Last edited by AssociateX; 03/12/19 04:43 PM.

~~~~~~~
My Practice/Progress YouTube Channel :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNj0Yha5exOWuJMTezV3t8Q
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AssociateX
Originally Posted by squidbot

I also subscribed to this magazine as a result of this thread - probably in January or so. I have yet to receive any issues. frown

No joy in Mudville yet either - but I have not yet lost hope...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OK, I think I'm going to complain, there's only a 60 day window from when it shows up on stands: "You can, any time, contact us to demand a missing issue. We shall do everything we can to offer you a quality service. Please, however note that the complaints for a missing issue must be made to us within the next 60 days of the date the magazine is released on newsstands. Express Mag will handle your complaint within the limits of available stocks."

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
Page 4 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 20 21

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission